Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:16:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH hardfork incoming.  (Read 18989 times)
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 06:42:30 PM

If the majority of the miners accept the bribe and do not soft fork, the Ethereum is destroyed. The ethereum they get is worthless.

Miners not soft forking is not an indication that they accept the bribe. In some cases the miner simply objects to the purpose and intent of the fork.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:02:19 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2016, 10:22:48 PM by iamnotback

No forks!

Charles, I don't think you sufficiently emphasized Bruce Fenton's points. You provided a link that seems lost in a sea of the mix of historical storytelling with a smidgen of your self-aggrandizing verbiage, so I doubt most readers even read what Bruce wrote.

Crypto is Not Politics

I keep reading arguments about how The Will of The People should decide. And how this is the only fair and equitable way. And I am here to say this is 100% retarded bullshit and any one who repeats it (and nonchalantly dismisses this!), is retarded.

What distinguishes the intention of Satoshi's block chain invention from the world we had before it, is that it eliminates politics. The technical reason is because due to the Nash equilibrium, then no one (not even mining nodes) have any fucking control.

If we destroy the Nash equilibrium with a 51% attack (aka fork) by not honoring the decentralized protocol, then we fall into a no-man's land of ambiguous interpretation and the brutality of the majority.

It is as simple as that. Either we choose to honor the code and protocol, or we go back to the depressing clusterfucked world we have before Satoshi.

Now the other problem is that BitCON is also becoming centralized because of economies-of-scale in mining. We haven't yet perfected Satoshi's invention. But that should not deter us from our ideals.

If you support forks, you violate everything Satoshi tried to do for the world.

No forks! No Blockstream forks either! Offer proof-of-burn if you want to propose new features on a new block chain, so that people are autonomous with their money.

And any arguments about empathy and intent in contract law are up against moral hazard which leads to the aforementioned clusterfuck of brutality. Don't reward retarded speculators for not doing due diligence and their derelict incapable developer idols, because they carry the mental affliction of those who want the clusterfucked world that existed prior to Satoshi's invention.

EastSound

Activity: 1377
Merit: 268

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:09:22 PM

No forks!

You should buy some graphics cards to build some miners and have a say in the coming fork. You have about 20 days to do that.
iamnotback

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:12:52 PM

No forks!

You should buy some graphics cards to build some miners and have a say in the coming fork. You have about 20 days to do that.

That would dilute my capabilities. Others are better matched to that task. I am better matched to preparing a block chain that does everything Ethereum does but better, and which doesn't have a retarded culture.

Besides by miners voting, that means no matter the outcome, Ethereum is already broken. The Nash equilibrium is destroyed.

In fact, this is one of the flaws in Satoshi's design that I have a design fix for.

The miners should not have a vote! No one should have a vote. Politics and voting is what we intended to eliminate.
Zosuda

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:21:05 PM

No forks!

That would dilute my capabilities. Others are better matched to that task. I am better matched to preparing a block chain that does everything Ethereum does but better, and which doesn't have a retarded culture.

Besides by miners voting, that means no matter the outcome, Ethereum is already broken. The Nash equilibrium is destroyed.

In fact, this is one of the flaws in Satoshi's design that I have a design fix for.

The miners should not have a vote! No one should have a vote. Politics and voting is what we intended to eliminate.

Are you and your friends going to build a new coins similar to Ethereum but better? Will that be PoW mining?
iamnotback

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:21:59 PM

Are you and your friends going to build a new coins similar to Ethereum but better? Will that be PoW mining?

Let's not talk about vaporware. I just want to say that there is a flaw and we need to fix it. And these aren't hollow words.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:29:47 PM

Im confused about this whole "ETH being forked" and all the controversy surrounding it.
In order for a successful fork to be pulled off by the devs, dont the miners have to majority agree to it for it to actually take place?
Isnt this still "whatever consensus rules?"
- OR -
Do the devs, single handedly have the power to enforce the fork w/o any sort of concensus?

If its the latter then, fuck ETH! Its a fucking scam and I cant support such a coin.
But, if its the former... well, isnt how all crypto works?

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:32:32 PM

BLAH BLAH

as if anyone here would not have supported a fork that would have returned the stolen Gox coins, for example

BTC would be 2000+ now without that; it was 1200 when Gox was destroyed

Now there is an opportunity to prevent a similar thing for ETH so just come to your senses  Cool

Also I highly doubt that ETH willl fork again; everyone deserves a 2nd chance.  Wink

Truth is the new hatespeech.
iamnotback

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:52:44 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2016, 08:51:00 PM by iamnotback

It seems 20% of the miners in the ethpool.org do not agree with that. They do not think taking 4% etherum out of circulation is a good idea.
http://ethpool.org/stats/votes

The "attacker" is winning. That was much less than 20% when I looked it a few hours ago.

Nobody in the DAO will ever get their tokens back.

Checkmate.

The "attacker" (aka noble crypto baron) has gained another 15% of support, now at 35% who won't vote for the fork. The baron will win. It is an economic certainty. Money talks, BS walks.

This bullshit about Ethereum will die if The DAO holders lose their funds is FUD. Ethereum will die if you fork it. Don't make the mistake of investing with retarded crowds, as you'll end up bankrupt and retarded.
AlphaSun

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 08:09:14 PM

If the "attacker" wins, the Ethereum will be dead. If there is soft fork but no hard fork, the Ethereum holder will win, and there is some mining for miners in the near future.
shyliar

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 10:58:29 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2016, 11:51:32 PM by shyliar

Im confused about this whole "ETH being forked" and all the controversy surrounding it.
In order for a successful fork to be pulled off by the devs, dont the miners have to majority agree to it for it to actually take place?
Isnt this still "whatever consensus rules?"
- OR -
Do the devs, single handedly have the power to enforce the fork w/o any sort of concensus?

If its the latter then, fuck ETH! Its a fucking scam and I cant support such a coin.
But, if its the former... well, isnt how all crypto works?

I agree with what you wrote. In either case though the fork has to be first suggested by the developers (since they make the code changes). Then the question that needs to be asked is what are the criteria for these code changes? There are examples of other ETH being stolen previous to the DAO due to bad code and the developers never reacted (basically it was "sorry about your bad luck"). In the situation of the DAO the developers are heavily invested and suddenly theft due to bad code requires a fork.

The ethics are simply self interest of the developers. I'm all for self interest; but, the marketing apparatus is selling it as community driven. I think this upsets some people (which is understandable).

Repercussions need to be considered as well. Apparently the fix allows blacklisting of any ETH address in the future. This should worry anyone since once ETH becomes POS the stake holders and not miners will have unlimited control. Since the percentage of ETH mined is nothing in comparison to the percentage that was premined as a result a very small group will determine when a contract can be annulled.

That's my take on it.

Note: I have no intention of getting into a pissing match with the marketing group and as such won't respond to ignorance.
Auponef

Activity: 236

View Profile
June 22, 2016, 11:06:21 AM

The soft fork is to save the Ethereum itself. I do not want to see a thief steal 3.6 million coins and dump on the market.
AlphaSun

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 04:26:38 PM

The soft fork is to save the Ethereum itself. I do not want to see a thief steal 3.6 million coins and dump on the market.

That could be right. But there still about 25% of the miners do not want to get back the funds from the thief.
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 05:06:32 PM

Life is Code.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 05:08:40 PM

https://petertodd.org/2016/ethereum-dao-bailout-vote
Cakalasia

Activity: 162
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 05:15:29 PM

He said "A Bailout Needs a Coin Vote". How do we do coin vote? I thought the miners determines the fork.
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 05:21:31 PM

He said "A Bailout Needs a Coin Vote". How do we do coin vote? I thought the miners determines the fork.

It is well documented how one can do a coinvote and there are already services that do this.
In bitcoin land we consider economic full nodes to ultimately be in control and not miners. Miners can be discarded if they betray the users quite quickly.

It will be interesting to see what direction the Ethereum community decides but they are headed in a very dangerous direction.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 09:01:49 PM

After the hard fork, will anyone continue to mine the old ETH chain for ideological reasons?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
AlphaSun

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 09:36:50 AM

After the hard fork, will anyone continue to mine the old ETH chain for ideological reasons?

Most miners will continue to mine if there is no other profitable coin to mine. Most miners invest to make profit.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:12:49 PM

Most miners will continue to mine if there is no other profitable coin to mine. Most miners invest to make profit.

That's a bit cryptic. I think that's a 'no' for you?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: