Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:44:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think Ethereum will be finished after this attack  (Read 15572 times)
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 05:07:04 AM

Acting as though you know something to be a fact when you are speculating is arrogant and inaccurate. How can we truly know if we simply do not?
Let time and the community amongst other factors show us what will happen to ETH or ETC.

Then we may learn

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5002

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 05:26:23 AM

Acting as though you know something to be a fact when you are speculating is arrogant and inaccurate. How can we truly know if we simply do not?
Let time and the community amongst other factors show us what will happen to ETH or ETC.

Then we may learn

Giving them the same shit they shovel, getting sick of using qualifiers and logic.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1052

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2016, 05:30:00 AM

Then we may learn

Giving them the same shit they shovel, getting sick of using qualifiers and logic.

SO its now the fight of ETH and ETC and BTC is out of the scene? LOLZ
I wouldn't be surprise if both ETC and ETH will arrive at a certain point where the battle can shake the world and make a buzz to which all those who are new to crypto will take sides but left BTC behind.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1452

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 06:03:28 AM

No. This battle will not be big enough for anybody that is not following the cryptoshere to notice. I think sometimes we are full of ourselves in thinking that all this will be really big and everyone will notice. This might come but not until 10 years or more. The bitcoiners are even struggling to let bitcoin be known until now.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 06:41:21 AM

If this has taught me anything, this whole bananas Ethereum debacle that is still very much in progress, is that you can't rationalize with a cult. The following on this coin had a ' drink the coolaid' vibe. You couldn't reason with people that had normally saner heads, and the percentage of trolls.that came out to play should be indicative of the amount of fanboys. So no, this won't die, come.fork, knife or spatula; this thing has adherents. It's here to stay.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1452

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 06:48:05 AM

Yes. This will not end until one of the chains becomes the only chain. It is in the hands of the miners now. I foresee a mining arms race between the original and the fork in the months to come. Right now the miners of the fork are in the comfortable lead. But they will be in panic once the hash power of the original chain becomes closer and closer to the has power of the fork. This will start the arms race.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 06:53:28 AM

Yes. This will not end until one of the chains becomes the only chain. It is in the hands of the miners now. I foresee a mining arms race between the original and the fork in the months to come. Right now the miners of the fork are in the comfortable lead. But they will be in panic once the hash power of the original chain becomes closer and closer to the has power of the fork. This will start the arms race.

Do.you think the emergence of the additional forked coin will further discuss the total network hash rate? If the replay attack.shit is real, then a fork of ETC might.be required.
varusisog

Activity: 123
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 08:48:35 AM

Do.you think the emergence of the additional forked coin will further discuss the total network hash rate? If the replay attack.shit is real, then a fork of ETC might.be required.

The replay attack is real. I tried to send the ETC with the nonfork chain, the ETH money also disappeared.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 08:55:58 AM

The replay attack is real. I tried to send the ETC with the nonfork chain, the ETH money also disappeared.

There's no such thing as a "replay attack".  It is the normal working of a forked chain, that valid signed transactions on both chains, are included on both chains.
Kaller

Activity: 752
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 09:20:35 AM

There's no such thing as a "replay attack".  It is the normal working of a forked chain, that valid signed transactions on both chains, are included on both chains.

Does it mean in order to avoid the replay attack, we need to kill one chain so that there is only one chain to do the business.
dinofelis

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 09:32:47 AM

Does it mean in order to avoid the replay attack, we need to kill one chain so that there is only one chain to do the business.

No, absolutely not.  From the moment that you do a transaction that contains even just some dust of newly mined coins on one chain, that transaction is not valid on the other chain and you are from that point on, with that address, only on one chain.

With ETC/ETH, you can also use a contract (there's a blog post by Vitalik explaining this).

But in general, on any block chain, things go like this:

Pre-chain: you have UTXO ("addresses") of which you possess the secret key that can sign transactions.

If you sign a transaction using ONLY these UTXO with that secret key, you are making a new transaction to new UTXO (the "recipient address"). 

On both chains, your signature will be valid (some people call this automatic feat a "replay attack", I wonder why), and your transaction will be included if you do not pay attention.  If that is the case, then on both chains, the former UTXO is not unspend any more, and the new address is now an UTXO.  Warning: any signature on any chain of THIS POST-fork transaction is ALSO VALID on both chains and will ALSO be included on both chains ! 

So what can you do (in general, on any forked chain, not just ETH/ETC):

NEWLY MINED coins that appear in blocks after the split are of course only valid UTXO on one single chain: they are not considered valid on the other chain, because these are coinbase transactions in blocks that do not appear on the other chain.  *if you can get hold of some of these, even a minor amount* and you now sign a transaction with a COMBINED INPUT containing some of this mined coin dust and your former coins, then THIS TRANSACTION and its signature will of course NOT be valid on the other chain.

So this transaction will NOT turn the former UTXO into a spend output on the other chain, because no valid transaction uses it.

And from that moment on, the resulting new UTXO on the first chain will also only appear and be valid on one chain.  From that point on, whatever you do with those UTXO, you will never have to worry again about them initiating a transaction on the other chain because these UTXO don't exist on the other chain.

So in as much as coins will get more and more mixed with newly mined coins on each branch, this phenomenon of valid transactions on both chains will disappear.
Mastercon

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 10:17:01 AM

That explanation is quite reassuring. I am still mining, but I will just mine one chain the ETH, so that will not be affected.
dinofelis

View Profile
July 29, 2016, 11:24:14 AM

That explanation is quite reassuring. I am still mining, but I will just mine one chain the ETH, so that will not be affected.

Actually, if you are only looking at one single chain, and don't even consider the other one, of course nothing of all this should be your worry.  It is only if you want to deal on both chains that you should be careful, and then, the most important danger is if you are dealing on the lower value chain (here ETC) that, by accident, you also don't emit an unwanted transaction on the more expensive chain (here ETH).

If you are on a mining pool, you should of course VERIFY that the coins they give you are indeed freshly mined ones.  But in as much as they are, you can use them to distinguish transactions.  People might even be interested in buying some from you at a premium price just to get some "distinguishing coins", although that would have been mainly just after the fork.

You can see it this way: suppose that I personally fork the Bitcoin block chain and I continue my private fork in the basement.  With bitcoin that's infeasible because of the way difficulty adapts slowly, so I'd be in for 5 years of mining the next block in my basement, but let us assume that I have my forked bitcoin chain in the basement for the sake of argument.    That wouldn't, of course, affect anybody, even though all "replay attacks" are valid, simply because all other bitcoin holders don't give a shit of what happens on MY bitcoin fork.  Probably my private bitcoins would have a market price of, I don't know, 100 000 dinocoins for a pizza or so.  However, if my neighbours and I do a dinocoin transaction, we have to be careful not to also do a genuine bitcoin transaction on the main chain, because otherwise, the pizza is going to be hugely expensive.  However, any other bitcoin holder will only do transactions on the main chain, and actually, these transactions will also be copied on my chain, but nobody cares.
Kaller

Activity: 752
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 30, 2016, 07:46:12 AM

So for the ETC after it is converted from ETH, it can transfer freely in the ETC network and cannot be transferred back into ETH network. Is that right?
dumada

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 08:35:06 AM

It seems there will be 51% attackes on the Ethereum ETC network:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4vf7fj/51_etc_attack_pool_mining_eth_until_hashrate/?st=irabq392&sh=15d962bf
Juhagic

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2016, 09:46:25 AM

I heard that the ETC will hard fork itself and that could avoid the replay attack. That might make it last long.
Zaducis

Activity: 441

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 10:58:43 AM

I heard that the ETC will hard fork itself and that could avoid the replay attack. That might make it last long.

If the ETC hard fork, there will ETC and ETC Classic ETCC again. That will be very interesting to observe.

dumada

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 03:03:15 PM

The Ethereum has not finished after the DAO attack. In fact, we have two EThereum now, the ETC and ETH.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
August 01, 2016, 03:07:42 PM

looks like the new drama that this attack has created in ethereum world has only made it better for making profit, so far the classic version which is called ETC has been rising over the past few days and doesn't seems to be slowing down any time soon even with all the threats that is being made against it.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Juhagic

Activity: 357

View Profile
August 02, 2016, 08:06:39 AM

looks like the new drama that this attack has created in ethereum world has only made it better for making profit, so far the classic version which is called ETC has been rising over the past few days and doesn't seems to be slowing down any time soon even with all the threats that is being made against it.

That is absolutely right. The miners are making good profit by mining the two version of the Ethereum now.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: