Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:19:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Eth fork to Fix the DAO situation  (Voting closed: June 25, 2016, 08:48:24 AM)
YES - 24 (25%)
NO - 35 (36.5%)
Dont Care - 16 (16.7%)
Screw The DAO - 21 (21.9%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Ethereum be Forked Your Opinion (Poll)  (Read 3043 times)
Jacques21 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 08:48:24 AM

Just want to see what people's opinion is on  the matter.
sadasa

Activity: 446

Unpaid signature.

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 09:10:24 AM

Ethereum is still in the very early development stage. When bitcoin was in the similar status, it had several forks.

B2

BitDouble.io

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
jiefes

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 09:22:49 AM

I read some posts like "code = law." Involuntarily I thought about "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov and the reply: "Save the Child". We are now faced with the choice to follow the logic of the machine or behaving like men.  Huh
ashkanb

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 09:29:58 AM

i was reading this http://pastebin.com/aMKwQcHR

and there was this:
[4:15:37 AM] Mathias: Guys, I understand the stress you are all in at the moment.
But please keep the big picture in mind :
What we are facing is a crappy smart contract, and careless investors. This is their risk of investing without proper due diligence.
Don't risk the reputation of Ethereum as an independent, decentralized platform because of it by taking hasty measures like hard forks or roll  backs .
Doing so will create a highly dangerous precedent, giving political authorities an entry whenever required in the future!

and this:
[5:01:14 AM] Philip G. Potter: even a serious discussion about a rollback by eth overlords IS EVIL

Highly agreed!
DO NOT F%*K WITH ETH because dao failed!
i never gave two crap about dao; bought 400 in ico for giggles!
so happened i got bored & sold them day before yesterday!

from the moment i stepped into cryptos everywhere i looked it was written in giant red neon blinking letters.
"Caution: high risk investment; do not risk what you can't afford to lose!"
jiefes

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 09:43:24 AM

i was reading this http://pastebin.com/aMKwQcHR

and there was this:
[4:15:37 AM] Mathias: Guys, I understand the stress you are all in at the moment.
But please keep the big picture in mind :
What we are facing is a crappy smart contract, and careless investors. This is their risk of investing without proper due diligence.
Don't risk the reputation of Ethereum as an independent, decentralized platform because of it by taking hasty measures like hard forks or roll  backs .
Doing so will create a highly dangerous precedent, giving political authorities an entry whenever required in the future!

and this:
[5:01:14 AM] Philip G. Potter: even a serious discussion about a rollback by eth overlords IS EVIL

Highly agreed!
DO NOT F%*K WITH ETH because dao failed!
i never gave two crap about dao; bought 400 in ico for giggles!
so happened i got bored & sold them day before yesterday!

from the moment i stepped into cryptos everywhere i looked it was written in giant red neon blinking letters.
"Caution: high risk investment; do not risk what you can't afford to lose!"

Do you believe crypto coins can survive without regulation? Regulation will have, whether we want it or not. But much better is this regulation to be implemented by the community, based on clear criteria and not by politicians. DAO opens the door to that and maybe that is the reason to be attacked.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:06:12 AM

The only way for ETH now is down. Investors will not trust Eth smart contracts anymore. Without that it has nothing going for it.
AlgoSwan

Activity: 308

ancap

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:08:22 AM

In all the madness surrounding TheDAO attack remember that the ethereumproject is bigger than one single smart contract running on it.

Looking to buy a verified betfair account with escrow.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:11:05 AM

Yes do it.

Fuck all cheaters.. Take their funds away. All coins should have a voting system for this. Huge hacks and scams damage us all. Why let someone take 8million Eth for nothing and dilute our coins we mined and paid for. I see no issue at all with taking this persons coins away from him.

Would say the same if it was btc or ltc. Huge scams involving millions of coins can destroy the entire currency. If everyone votes and wants this cheater to have his coins frozen then good.

killerjoegreece
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1010

Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 10:11:27 AM

hard forks are always bad
ashkanb

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:25:55 AM

-snip-
Do you believe crypto coins can survive without regulation? Regulation will have, whether we want it or not. But much better is this regulation to be implemented by the community, based on clear criteria and not by politicians. DAO opens the door to that and maybe that is the reason to be attacked.

first of all, if i personally wanted regulation i'd've kept my fiat!!!
governments do more than enough regulation for my taste!!!
no need to have eth overlords reserve themselves the right to messing up a completely different entity because dao failed!
it was just one broken smart contract; the underlying system works!

secondly, dao was all about boasting self-goverence!
it couldn't deliver, it failed so what? move on, improve or whatever...
that does not justify a ethereum hard fork!
if a bank was robbed & money was stolen one does not go fucking with the currency!
you go try recovering the funds/compensating affected parties/improving your bank(system)

lastly, DO NOT F%&K WITH ETH!!! it's doin' just fine!
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:31:33 AM

The Colossus of Dao is empowered during the annual congress of Ether. The Ether knights lend him their magical forces. Holding so much energy, the Colossus is able to withstand all threats.

btc_zero_sum

Activity: 273

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 10:37:37 AM

The Colossus of Dao is empowered during the annual congress of Ether. The Ether knights lend him their magical forces. Holding so much energy, the Colossus is able to withstand all threats.

the creators of DAO and the guy up here seems like have forgotten all principles of decentralization just because they are heavily invested
same as eth developers, as we can read in the chat, money > ethics as usual
sadasa

Unpaid signature.

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 03:24:20 PM

the creators of DAO and the guy up here seems like have forgotten all principles of decentralization just because they are heavily invested

If your money is involved, you will also ask for a fork to save 30% of the loss. Fortunately, we have the miners to decide.

B2

BitDouble.io

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 03:27:19 PM

If your money is involved, you will also ask for a fork to save 30% of the loss. Fortunately, we have the miners to decide.
Wrong. I lost more than 1000 BTC on mtgox. Never did I ask for a fork.

sadasa

Unpaid signature.

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 03:56:32 PM

For those who don't seem to get it, let me put it ELI5

Libertarian Bitcoiners are not the majority who love giving up freedom for centralized security, therefore, hard forks only make the DAO grow stronger!

Ethereum/DAO is the anthesis of bitcoin because in bitcoin, there are ransom cases.  Has there ever been a ransom threatened with ETH?

Bitcoin is for criminals and Ethereum is for Superheroes!

Case dismissed!

The DAO grows stronger while we speak!

http://www.coindesk.com/dao-attack-good-thing-ethereum/

The DAO grows stronger while you SLEEP!

https://steemit.com/ethereum/@etherqueen/dao-attack-is-more-than-just-an-inside-job-it-is-a-legally-planned-publicity

True Meme!

May the FORK be with you!!!

Vitalik and Taul will get their money back, in fact, they shorted it, made money, bought it back after the crash, and are pumping it as "the good guy" because they can stop the criminals that use bitcoin!!!

The hacker just explore a known flaw in the DAO. He did not contribute to the general safety of the Ehteruem.

B2

BitDouble.io

BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 05:52:09 PM

Ethereum is still in the very early development stage. When bitcoin was in the similar status, it had several forks.

I go back and forth with using the fact that bitcoin forked several times but ETH is different and this is a direct attack prompting a possible fork which I do not think bitcoin had (correct me if I am wrong).  If it forks I am against a hard fork.  Hard forking in reaction to this attacker goes against decentralization.

I love Bitcoin
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 06:30:54 PM

All the people who support a ETH fork are the biggest ETH/DAO bagholders.
As soon as the fork is finalized and their funds "returned" they will dump all their coins.

They are a plague upon the altcoin scene. They don't care about ETH/DAO, they invested to pump/dump it.
There is no way those ETH Whales are going to stay in the game, they want their money back and want out.

The ETH Bailout soon to come with bring ETH's destruction, not make it stronger.
The people who want the rollback are not true ETH believers, but it's destroyers.
The current ETH price and DAO price are being stabilized by gamblers and whales.

Beware what you wish for ETH miners/users.

Everyone else, grab your popcorn and watch the false prophet get dragged through the streets.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
SiNeReiNZzz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1043

αLPʜα αɴd ΩMeGa

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2016, 06:56:07 PM

Definitly YES! The "Hacker" has the Money not rightful deserved, i think...

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 06:59:07 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2016, 10:23:04 PM by iamnotback

No forks ever!

Charles, I don't think you sufficiently emphasized Bruce Fenton's points. You provided a link that seems lost in a sea of the mix of historical storytelling with a smidgen of your self-aggrandizing verbiage, so I doubt most readers even read what Bruce wrote.

Crypto is Not Politics

I keep reading arguments about how The Will of The People should decide. And how this is the only fair and equitable way. And I am here to say this is 100% retarded bullshit and any one who repeats it (and nonchalantly dismisses this!), is retarded.

What distinguishes the intention of Satoshi's block chain invention from the world we had before it, is that it eliminates politics. The technical reason is because due to the Nash equilibrium, then no one (not even mining nodes) have any fucking control.

If we destroy the Nash equilibrium with a 51% attack (aka fork) by not honoring the decentralized protocol, then we fall into a no-man's land of ambiguous interpretation and the brutality of the majority.

It is as simple as that. Either we choose to honor the code and protocol, or we go back to the depressing clusterfucked world we have before Satoshi.

Now the other problem is that BitCON is also becoming centralized because of economies-of-scale in mining. We haven't yet perfected Satoshi's invention. But that should not deter us from our ideals.

If you support forks, you violate everything Satoshi tried to do for the world.

No forks! No Blockstream forks either! Offer proof-of-burn if you want to propose new features on a new block chain, so that people are autonomous with their money.

And any arguments about empathy and intent in contract law are up against moral hazard which leads to the aforementioned clusterfuck of brutality. Don't reward retarded speculators for not doing due diligence and their derelict incapable developer idols, because they carry the mental affliction of those who want the clusterfucked world that existed prior to Satoshi's invention.

EastSound

Activity: 1377
Merit: 268

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 07:11:12 PM

No forks ever!

In this world, word is very weak. You need to have some physical powers to be influential. In this case, you need to have mining power.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: