Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:21:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LTC FPGA discussion!  (Read 23594 times)
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:52:13 AM

The fpgas wast good for bitcoin and will not be good for ltc
I hesitantly agree. My 7950 is $0.5/khash, so I'm not quite seeing the incentive for litecoin FPGA right now.

couldn't agreed more..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:12:32 AM

The fpgas wast good for bitcoin and will not be good for ltc
I hesitantly agree. My 7950 is $0.5/khash, so I'm not quite seeing the incentive for litecoin FPGA right now.

couldn't agreed more..

You seem to have forgotten the starting point part Tongue the optimizations would go from there. I would not want to consider anything that did not at least have that as a starting point, and then move to a lower $ per khs ratio. Anything higher on the $ per khs ratio would make the ROI too high. Essentially, I would not want to release any production units that were not able to match at least that ratio.

But obviously if the initial ratio does not suit someone they should probably not invest. I will not give out unrealistic estimates to the public. Under promise, over deliver.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
batman, not crabman

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:04:35 AM

It also depends how much you pay for power...

A horse walks into a bar and the barman says "Give me some Bitcoin!"
17TDYWdeL3GU2fsMSpV7itLYS2UJ91dCDx
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:53:06 PM

and i can assume you made it already?

Grin

Made does not mean its production worthy yet.

How about you post how we can make our own FPGAs ourselves?

Totally agree and I'd like to comment on a point a previous poster made about mining with the device themselves:

1. I think he had a totally relevant point.

2. this is a free market so all encouragement to  anyone mining with their own developed device.

3. significant advantages still exist with Scrypt because FPGA are more assessable than a ground up ASIC.

4. I always claimed that past a unit price point BTC would become a sovereign mined currency /sovereign/large institution.

5. Scrypt can and will make distribution more accessible - even if it means FPGA becomes the next biggest DIY event in history.

6. makes me wonder why a Corp like ATI or even Nvidia owners (or a 100 others) have not cottoned onto a PCIe device as of yet?

strange free market capitalism quirk. 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
DaCash

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:45:31 PM

digitalindustry , i think this is excellent idea! Why relevant pro's have not yet made device based on some crypto acc, like http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/data_brief/DM00038836.pdf  . Or did they?  Roll Eyes
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:06:51 PM

Simran is someone who didn't even understand why getting the cheapest PSU for a mining rig is a bad idea let alone test an FPGA for LTC.

This is more than likely the beginnings of a scam.

Simran has nothing to do with the development of jasinlee's LTC FPGA, as far as I know, other than maybe demo'ing one and posting here about them before jasinlee wanted him to. So don't see the relevance.
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:27:47 PM

I base this on nothing but gut instinct, but I've read this whole post. I also clicked on janislee's name and read what he's posted elsewhere.

He seems nothing but sincere, and intent on being more professional than BFL. Anytime someone posts something that sounds even remotely serious about following through on a LTC FPGA he's right there offering all manner of technical input to the OP.

I think I'm in.
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 02:28:21 PM

digitalindustry , i think this is excellent idea! Why relevant pro's have not yet made device based on some crypto acc, like http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/data_brief/DM00038836.pdf  . Or did they?  Roll Eyes

you poor guy, OK just show me where Joe Six pack can buy that ?

and yes Joe Six pack essentially matters in a market, any market , if you are unsure about that just head on over the FOMC meeting and have a listen in.

to simplify that , the market is a market of humans so humans matter in the market.  

you also might want to check out the history of  Long Term Capital .

( i will resist the eye roll)

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
gica_contra

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:00:17 PM

6. makes me wonder why a Corp like ATI or even Nvidia owners (or a 100 others) have not cottoned onto a PCIe device as of yet?

How many units do you think would sell compared to video cards? 1%? 5%? Costs of R&D for a big corporation are 1 or 2 orders of magnitude higher than for a small one because they want their product to work in 99.999% of the use cases rather than 99%.
msm595

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:13:12 PM

I base this on nothing but gut instinct, but I've read this whole post. I also clicked on janislee's name and read what he's posted elsewhere.

He seems nothing but sincere, and intent on being more professional than BFL. Anytime someone posts something that sounds even remotely serious about following through on a LTC FPGA he's right there offering all manner of technical input to the OP.

I think I'm in.

I completely agree. I may not see the current value in having the fpgas now at this moderate effeciency, but I trust janislee and know that fpgas are the next step, even if only in better securing the network for lower power usage.

digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 03:19:27 PM

How many units do you think would sell compared to video cards? 1%? 5%? Costs of R&D for a big corporation are 1 or 2 orders of magnitude higher than for a small one because they want their product to work in 99.999% of the use cases rather than 99%.

depends on the build cost production ratio , how many other electrical devices get created compared to video cards?

it is not a video card market is it.

there is a reason there is no device right now , but that could be related to market information, again the market decides that .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
roy7

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:20:26 PM

I'm assuming a scrypt FPGA could mine any scrypt coin not just LTC, like you can mine any sha256 coin with sha256 miners?
jasinlee

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:22:12 PM

I'm assuming a scrypt FPGA could mine any scrypt coin not just LTC, like you can mine any sha256 coin with sha256 miners?

You do have the right of it, and thanks for the support guys on here. If any of you decide to make your own fpga, let me know I dont mind helping. We really need to secure the network further before all the goodies get released in the coming months.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 05:46:05 AM

In Australia I am paying ~AU$0.28/kWh and therefore any FPGA development puts me on par with cheap arse elec costs in other parts of the world...so please develop some Smiley

Rora

Activity: 244

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:18:18 PM

News on this project??
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:23:59 PM

In Australia I am paying ~AU$0.28/kWh and therefore any FPGA development puts me on par with cheap arse elec costs in other parts of the world...so please develop some Smiley

Holy crap and I thought paying $0.16/kWh was expensive.

How do you survive on those crazy rates?

lol you'll be better off buying solar panels

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jasinlee

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:22:37 PM

Updates are on the thread in my signature.  I will tend to update there more often since it is the ltc forum.

WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:05:54 PM

I'd imagine his dollars are AUD, not USD.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 02:12:15 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 04:44:11 PM by markm

I get 400 MHash from 5870's but only 250 KHash, so GPUs seems really bad for me for scrypt mining, the myth that they do as many kilohashes mining litecoins as they do megahashes mining bitcoins is just a myth to me so far, and I would much rather buy FPGAs than try windows to see whether it is true that windows gets better kilihashes than linux does.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ptereh

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:09:21 PM

I'd imagine his dollars are AUD, not USD.
Here in the Netherlands we pay 0.22 EURO or 0.27 USD per kWh.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: