Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:35:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Question - Nullc, are you Satoshi?  (Read 4217 times)
Mr Felt (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:30:53 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2016, 02:24:15 PM by Mr Felt

https://medium.com/@Felt/serious-question-greg-are-you-satoshi-ee13c832563b#.bsucczoxj

EDIT - I now retract the statement that nullc = midnightmagic.  Further research on the matter at the Tahoe site has led me a different direction.  Example:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.tahoe.devel/1365

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maesters1-

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 10:13:25 AM

7 countries police are searching for Satoshi Namatodo any you can say that Nullc is Satoshil i think still no body know that who is satoshi.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 10:16:04 AM

These questions are pointless if you have a brain and consider the following:
1) If he is Satoshi, he will deny it.
2) If he isn't Satoshi, he will deny it.

What is the point of such article? To waste time? To get agencies to investigate Maxwell?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 10:26:40 AM

Interesting rabbit hole Mr. felt.

I feel his demeanor is too.... Cocky? Maybe not the right way to put it, but he seems to me to be full of himself in some of his tweets. Although I just skimmed threw them (could be completely wrong as I didn't read all the back and forth).

Love the investigation though!

Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 10:32:51 AM

What is the point of such article? To waste time? To get agencies to investigate Maxwell?

Do you know what is the point of it all at the end of the day?

It is how you deny that makes the difference.

I mean, Mr.Felt has a point, and that is...undeniableCool
Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 12:42:03 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 12:55:43 PM by Mr Felt

The point is to understand where this all came from a little better.  People are inherently inquisitive.  

If Greg were to be Satoshi, it would explain a lot - but I don't know that it would change a lot. Greg is probably already being looked at by agencies anyway - either b/c he works for one (not saying he does, I just mean some folks think BTC is a govt project - the blockchain is the world's best surveillance system/honeypot) or because he's a leader in this community. Either way, if the answer is "yes, greg is Satoshi" - either in whole or in part - I'm impressed as a person could get and want to shake his hand.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 01:01:40 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 02:57:09 PM by Lauda

Do you know what is the point of it all at the end of the day?
The point is wasting everyone's time, especially his.

It is how you deny that makes the difference.
It makes zero difference.

The point is to understand where this all came from a little better.  People are inherently inquisitive.  
Okay: That's the point, fine. However, what are the chances for him to admit this regardless of whether he is satoshi or not? I'd say very close to 0.

I just mean some folks think BTC is a govt project - the blockchain is the world's best surveillance system/honeypot
Those folks need an upgraded version of tinfoil hats.

Either way, if the answer is "yes, greg is Satoshi" - either in whole or in part - I'm impressed as a person could get and want to shake his hand.
That does make me curious though: If this turned out to be true, would the people that have been attacking Gregory stop because he's Satoshi? Lips sealed

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 01:13:29 PM

That does make me curious though: If this turned out to be true, would the people that have been attacking Gregory stop because he's Satoshi? Lips sealed

I don't know what others would do, but I think it puts a totally different spin on the last year.  I could very easily empathize with his various positions if he were to be Satoshi.

Also, Lauda, I take it you don't find the Midmagic = Greg part that much of a stretch?  If you can buy that, then making the connection to Satoshi becomes doable (not necessarily probable) - midmagic is competent and was hanging around the usual suspects at the time the whitepaper was released.  

Again, this is all from a position of love and admiration.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 02:05:07 PM

Lauda, I don't understand your answer also if you reply this then

In any case, this is truly interesting and ispiring. Thanks for your insights Mr.Felt

I don't know what others would do, but I think it puts a totally different spin on the last year.  I could very easily empathize with his various positions if he were to be Satoshi.

Also, Lauda, I take it you don't find the Midmagic = Greg part that much of a stretch?  If you can buy that, then making the connection to Satoshi becomes doable (not necessarily probable) - midmagic is competent and was hanging around the usual suspects at the time the whitepaper was released.   

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 02:52:02 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 03:06:34 PM by franky1

greg isnt satoshi, but give it a few weeks and people will start to say another blockstreamer is satoshi
first it will be P wuille
then a few others
ofcourse Luke JR wont be considered because he is too nuts to be ever considered. and ofcourse preparations are being made by blockstream to kick luke to the curb in the same dramatic tactic as hearne and gavins "lukes future HF implementation release is an altcoin"..

but eventually people will demand adam back is proclaimed bitcoin overlord.

other then that ill skip all the drama of false prophets and messiah complexes used to try ensuring blockstream grab the "brand title" of bitcoin.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2016, 03:02:57 PM

I don't know what others would do, but I think it puts a totally different spin on the last year.  I could very easily empathize with his various positions if he were to be Satoshi.
Why the 'last year' in particular? I think this would be a case of subjective bias. You currently can't empathize with his various positions, but would be able to if he was satoshi?

Also, Lauda, I take it you don't find the Midmagic = Greg part that much of a stretch?  
I don't. However, I wouldn't say that you have conslusive proof there. I'd say you have some circumstantial 'proof' (although I don't know about the resemblance in the writing style as I have never done such an analysis myself).

I guess that it is fine if the intent is to not attack him.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 03:06:08 PM

greg isnt satoshi, but give it a few weeks and people will start to say another blockstreamer is satoshi
first it will be P wuille
then a few others
ofcourse Luke JR wont be considered because he is too nuts to be ever considered. and ofcourse preparations are being made by blockstream to kick luke to the curb in the same dramatic tactic as hearne and gavins "luke future implementation release is an altcoin"..

but eventually people will demand adam back is proclaimed bitcoin overlord.

other then that ill skip all the drama of false prophets and messiah complexes used to try ensuring blockstream grab the "brand title" of bitcoin.

The usual arrogant egotism from you Franky (I guessing this is Franky#2....?). Demonstrate some (any) analytic ability first, and maybe you'll get an audience one day

Tell us, oh great one, who Satoshi is, with your amazing identity divining powers lol

Vires in numeris
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 03:30:01 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 03:47:25 PM by franky1

firstly the OP doesnt offer any analytical proof of "writing styles are very similar" where others have actually done some analytic and those dont point to greg.
even the OP shows he hasnt done much in the way of writing style analysis by saying " I have the jgaap software and I may run some tests (but I probably will not)"

meaning his opinion is just an opinion based on his personal view(nothing concrete). and he doesnt want to do more analytics because he doesnt want to enforce his opinion, but instead leave it vague enough to step away from without much debate

secondly people confuse anonymous (wanting privacy)1 vs anonymous (attention seeking anarchist hackers). satoshi wanted privacy and personal control1 and greg wanted anarchy and fame

also the genesis block was not a washington times newspaper article. and greg does not say "bloody". meaning satoshi is more british language based2
BTW, I did come to my senses after that brief bout with 1.3, this release is still going to be 0.3 beta not 1.0.

I really appreciate the effort, but there are a lot of problems.

We don't want to lead with "anonymous".  (I've been meaning to edit the homepage)1

"The developers expect that this will result in a stable-with-respect-to-energy currency outside the reach of any government." -- I am definitely not making an such taunt or assertion.

It's not stable-with-respect-to-energy.  There was a discussion on this.  It's not tied to the cost of energy.  NLS's estimate based on energy was a good estimated starting point, but market forces will increasingly dominate.

Sorry to be a wet blanket2 .  Writing a description for this thing for general audiences is bloody hard2 .  There's nothing to relate it to.

and greg is american.

anyway. lets just skip to the next drama event of the next name people think up, usually it takes 6 months for people to reboot the "who is satoshi" drama so lets just skip through and then get on with our lives.. because theres no point wasting pages of messages of greg=satoshi because it simply lacks anything concrete.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 03:43:12 PM

Be quiet, Franky, real people want to have a real discussion

I just mean some folks think BTC is a govt project - the blockchain is the world's best surveillance system/honeypot
Those folks need an upgraded version of tinfoil hats.

I've outlined a plausible scenario under which deep-state actors created Bitcoin, not as a honeypot NWO currency, but as an inevitable consequence of advancing computer science that must be front-ran, before some guy-in-a-basement cypherpunk comes up with it themselves. Of course, under that scenario, Satoshi being some deep state banking oligarch is still pretty inconsequential, as Bitcoin was clearly rushed out before any tenable long-term design had been established (and the Satoshi coins may end up unspendable as a result of that rush/oversight)

Vires in numeris
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 03:45:44 PM

firstly the OP doesnt offer any analytical proof of "writing styles are very similar" where others have actually done some analytic and those dont point to greg.
even the OP shows he hasnt done much in the way of writing style analysis by saying " I have the jgaap software and I may run some tests (but I probably will not)"

meaning his opinion is just an opinion based on his personal view(nothing concrete). and he doesnt want to do more analytics because he doesnt want to enforce his opinion, but instead leave it vague enough to step away from without much debate

secondly people confuse anonymous (wanting privacy) vs anonymous (attention seeking anarchist hackers). satoshi wanted privacy and personal control and greg wanted anarchy and fame

also the genesis block was not a washington times newspaper article. and greg does not say "bloody". meaning satoshi is more british language based
BTW, I did come to my senses after that brief bout with 1.3, this release is still going to be 0.3 beta not 1.0.

I really appreciate the effort, but there are a lot of problems.

We don't want to lead with "anonymous".  (I've been meaning to edit the homepage)

"The developers expect that this will result in a stable-with-respect-to-energy currency outside the reach of any government." -- I am definitely not making an such taunt or assertion.

It's not stable-with-respect-to-energy.  There was a discussion on this.  It's not tied to the cost of energy.  NLS's estimate based on energy was a good estimated starting point, but market forces will increasingly dominate.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.  Writing a description for this thing for general audiences is bloody hard.  There's nothing to relate it to.

and greg is american.

Yeah because some as smart as satoshi wouldn't use foreign expressions in purpose to make the task of trying to pinpoint his nationally way harder.

That proves or disproves nothing. The fact is, gmaxwell could have been satoshi since he is one of the top contributors of all time and still very active, very smart guy, so could be it just like it could be Adam Back or Nick for all we know.
Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 04:09:08 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2016, 08:24:16 PM by Mr Felt

@Lauda - I empathize w/ Greg now.  Go through some of my recent posts here, I listed Greg as preferred Satoshi candidate of mine.

You [edit - I think I meant Franky here] are correct about not having linked writing styles conclusively - although I'm not sure even the best stylometry software can do that.  I haven't run the software yet b/c IRL duties; when I made the post last night, it was really late. I will also agree w/ you that my initial post is just a musing - I'm not betting Greg is Satoshi one way or another.  I just think it would make sense if he were and that it is plausible.

About explaining this past year - 2015 and 2016  have had the scaling debate front and center to the extent main stream news has covered it.  There have been intense debates.  I think if Greg were Satoshi, I'd have a lot to reflect on especially from 2015 and 2016.  Remember when Greg got called out for claiming credit for some of Satoshi's commits on Github?  Remember how Gavin came to the rescue to explain that away? Such blips from the recent past take on new meaning if Greg is Satoshi.  

https://np.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4550sl/greg_maxwell_unullc_given_your_valid_interest_in/
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/45g3d5/rewriting_history_greg_maxwell_is_claiming_some/
http://www.coindesk.com/gregory-maxwell-went-bitcoin-skeptic-core-developer/

via @Midmagic, these tweets are interesting if Greg is Satoshi (and midnightmagic):
https://twitter.com/midmagic/status/674514614772563968 (http://archive.is/R0R4j)
https://twitter.com/midmagic/status/76112785175617536 (http://archive.is/jsdlW)
https://twitter.com/midmagic/status/139822645301616640 (http://archive.is/TkuGg)
http://bitcoinvox.com/article/1041/satoshi-asked-wikileaks-to-avoid-bitcoin-in-2010
https://twitter.com/midmagic/status/22863783508 <--- One of the most interesting to me, tons of reading + Jstor dump maybe offers insight into how Satoshi found an obscure 1968 article on transit networks (http://archive.is/esGvo)

@Franky

If Satoshi was worried about being discovered from the beginning, its very possible he wrote in a way that would make author attribution analysis very difficult (i.e., mixing up spelling, punctuation, word choice).  Its not that hard to copy and paste american english text into a translator that converts it into Aussie or Brit english. You can even make the text take on a pirate dialect. argh. People also take on words used by their friends.  So, for example, if Greg were talking to a lot folks in the UK via ham radio, I could easily see him picking up British words:

http://www.interceptradio.com/ham.php?call=NT4TN
https://wdtn.co.uk/2014/09/14/nt4tn-launch-event/

Ham radios are very John Galt-ish, by the way.

ning_chang

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 04:28:10 PM

No one knows who's satoshi. Because he/she can used a codename like satoshi. Satoshi is anonymous. So we cannot find or identify satoshi. But that's not a good idea to identify who make a coins in this computer the important of all. He create a coins that he can convert a real money. If satoshi is they identify or the took the police. Maybe bitcoir or satoshi is godn.
Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 04:41:46 PM

True.  Its just a fun topic to bounce around.  Clearly, no direct evidence here - just speculation (and this type is much safer than speculating on shitcoins).
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 05:00:43 PM

People also take on words used by their friends.  So, for example, if Greg were talking a lot with with folks in the UK via ham radio, I could easily see him picking up British words:

http://www.interceptradio.com/ham.php?call=NT4TN
https://wdtn.co.uk/2014/09/14/nt4tn-launch-event/

Ham radios are very John Galt-ish, by the way.

if it was a subconscious effect due to social interactions, then the regional variations would be consistent and would be visible in gregs 'chatter' too.

Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 05:04:42 PM

You ever considered that we jumping from one guy to the next, because it's not just a single person... but rather a group of people? Something as brilliant as Bitcoin, cannot just be the fruit of one persons mind.

We regularly have brainstorming sessions at work, and we usually come up with fairly good suggestions, when their is good interaction. I think this is the same thing... A group of guys met online and they had

the same interest and at one stage they got together and discussed this in person. They formulated the White Paper for this idea together, but it was written by one person to create confusion. I still believe that

Satoshi was just the leader of a group of people and not a single person.  Roll Eyes

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: