Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:32:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious Question - Nullc, are you Satoshi?  (Read 4217 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 01:47:08 PM

quite possibly the entity behind bitcoins satoshi. was in his past, just a random player of the other games and loved solving problems/puzzles

and when thinking what names to chose for his bitcoin pseudonym was thinking of things randomly like

galt
waldo/wally
chouchani
fulcanelli
and then remembered his old gaming days where there was a mysterious name of satoshi that was never found in a 'game' he used to play. so he adopted it because he enjoyed the mystery of that name

but anyway thats all speculation. as is any other satoshi mystery.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
freshman777

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 01:53:01 PM

Craig Wright is Satoshi.

ARDOR - Blockchain as a Service. Three birds with one stone. /// Do not hold NXT at exchanges, NXT wallets: core+lite, mobile Android
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 03:13:52 PM

Another interesting post on page 41 which gives more hints to the game.

Amazing

Hey everybody. Been a while, hasn't it? Over 10 years. I stumbled across Find Satoshi a few months ago by sheer chance, or call it luck. Like many of you, I found myself completely immersed by it, but a little too late to participate. So instead, I made a podcast episode about it.

I read through every one of your posts here as part of my research, along with interviewing Laura Hall (of findsatoshi.wordpress.com) and Adrian Hon, the creator of the game.

If you wanna go on a trip down memory lane, have a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/listen-to-this-244929090/findsatoshi

Will be on iTunes before too long, as well.

Enjoy, and happy hunting.
crazywack
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:04:20 PM

Amazing

Hey everybody. Been a while, hasn't it? Over 10 years. I stumbled across Find Satoshi a few months ago by sheer chance, or call it luck. Like many of you, I found myself completely immersed by it, but a little too late to participate. So instead, I made a podcast episode about it.

I read through every one of your posts here as part of my research, along with interviewing Laura Hall (of findsatoshi.wordpress.com) and Adrian Hon, the creator of the game.

I read that last night also, were you able to track down the podcast or is it still available? Didn't take to time to follow the links last night as I was bouncing back and forth in different direction.

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 06:09:43 PM

These questions are pointless if you have a brain and consider the following:
1) If he is Satoshi, he will deny it.
2) If he isn't Satoshi, he will deny it.

What is the point of such article? To waste time? To get agencies to investigate Maxwell?

Maxwell does not know how to code. Maxwell does not know who Satoshi is.

midmagic looks quite like Satoshi though

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 07:47:03 PM

Although distributed.net is still live it hasn't been updated in 6 years, have you tried to track down any of the known members? I searched thumper^ for shits since he is close proximity to me. Been able to track down any still on IRC or with the the same Twitter handle ect?

There are some interesting stories....many went dark but you can find archives of some of their conversations on other forums.  Many of the people who participated in these activities went on to work for big companies like Microsoft, Google, IBM....etc.  Some were already working with these places and secretly shared some of their companies resources....There's lots of stories....
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 07:59:09 PM

watching http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060397/
thanks for a tip

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 08:07:39 PM

the thing i'd love to ask satoshi is did you expect it to blow up like this? i assume he believed there was a chance but the idea of having to always cover your tracks must've been exhausting, especially when no one cared at the time. i guess if he had slipped up somewhere we'd already know about it.
cjmoles
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 08:09:56 PM

The truth: the answer to everybody's question regarding the identity of the individual who is responsible for putting together all the "pieces" of the first workable peer to peer digital cash system is right in front of everybody's noses.  

I will provide some clues. Those searching for the guy in this picture have information: http://perplexcitycardcatalog.com/1/256/ the guy in the picture is named Satoshi.

And the group working on this related encryption problem : http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14122 stumbled upon the concept of the decentralized component of "the ledger."

Bitcoin basically presented itself....and the name given to the individual labeled as the creator of the technology can add no value to its existence.

I'll take a longer look over the weekend.

How did you find these clues? Sounds like you know the answer already - how?

Briefly.  Card #251 had some sort of code puzzle, the community working on the problem figured out that it was an encryption problem, they decided to brute force it, they built and distributed the client, they learned it wasn't efficient because each client was running independently, so they began the process of working on keeping track of eliminated combinations to distribute the workload across the network for efficiency....etc.  Much of this stuff happened via ICQ and email but community recruitment was achieved via the forum thread above....pay attention to the dates and the type of people involved (where they are now is interesting)....notice the time frame when the project went dark....and notice https://www.distributed.net/RC5

Card #256 has not been solved.

It's all there...the rest you can find here and the early mailing lists.

Thanks. Yep, already done - some of it cross-checks w/ some research I've been holding back for a few months... i recall trying to remember something about a dairy, a robot from turkey, a trust, a company called Bitcoin Ltd. (formed Feb 2009), a Yale father and son (one in London, one in Denver), plus an accountant  Wink  Extra hint - http://www.economist.com/node/7001738 <---

I think you see the bigger picture...makes me wonder what else they used us for....

Basically the ledger created itself as a result of the above processes. Distributing the workload across the network, and keeping track of the sequences used in the brute force attack so that sequences weren't inefficiently ran twice (double spend problem), accidentally solved problems others were working on in co-related projects....the rest is history  --> the real work began with all the familiar names and Satoshi Nakamoto is just a face on an unsolved puzzle card; who, by the way, is still waiting to be found so that he can give the secret passphrase away that he's been holding onto for all these years.  Smile....

We haven't even gotten to the fun stuff yet.

No....we haven't....It gets deeper!  Just follow the crumbs.  The idea of using the wisdom of the masses to covertly solve contemporary problems is huge!  The utility of distributed networking applications is just barely being understood by the general public....The number of degrees in the "six degrees of separation" theory is quickly declining....think about that!  While many are diving down rabbit holes in search of straw men like Satoshi, others are farming our data and using it to solve problems that cannot be solved alone....sometimes we have to step back to see the big picture!
Mr Felt (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 10:03:49 PM

No....we haven't....It gets deeper!  Just follow the crumbs.  The idea of using the wisdom of the masses to covertly solve contemporary problems is huge!  The utility of distributed networking applications is just barely being understood by the general public....The number of degrees in the "six degrees of separation" theory is quickly declining....think about that!  While many are diving down rabbit holes in search of straw men like Satoshi, others are farming our data and using it to solve problems that cannot be solved alone....sometimes we have to step back to see the big picture!

...which may include disinformation.

I went back through my notes (i didn't forget the milk), I've been sitting on this material since November then Craig distracted me from this brucey Mosaic (very capitalization of that last word  Wink ). Subsequent to Craig and what I found prior to his emergence, I wrote about Peter Todd, Transit, David Birch, Nullc and a few others. The transit article is likely one of the most important clues as that transit network is very similar to the bitcon network laid out in the white paper (note: you have to buy the article if you don't have access another way, but maybe nullc still has it - or maybe Andreas S or Mssrs. Birch and Chaum have copies to share).  I've written about Zooko concurrently with all of the other folks mentioned above - I keep coming back to him for some reason (he worked with both Chaum and Wei Dai at various points I believe). Ultimately, I'll need to get grave markers for my dead theories one day. Was that another clue?  Shocked
cjmoles
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 10:17:42 PM

...which may include disinformation.

I went back through my notes (i didn't forget the milk), I've been sitting on this material since November then Craig distracted me from this brucey Mosaic (very capitalization of that last word  Wink ). Subsequent to Craig and what I found prior to his emergence, I wrote about Peter Todd, Transit, David Birch, Nullc and a few others. The transit article is likely one of the most important clues as that transit network is very similar to the bitcon network laid out in the white paper (note: you have to buy the article if you don't have access another way, but maybe nullc still has it - or maybe Andreas S or Mssrs. Birch and Chaum have copies to share).  I've written about Zooko concurrently with all of the other folks mentioned above - I keep coming back to him for some reason (he worked with both Chaum and Wei Dai at various points I believe). Ultimately, I'll need to get grave markers for my dead theories one day. Was that another clue?  Shocked

Tis.  Do the gear and the pendulum refer to themselves as "the clock?"  The most effective assassination is the assassination carried out by the assassin who is unaware that he is the assassinator.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 11:16:50 PM

There's something really spooky about this for some reason.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 01:12:24 AM

Not sure about spooky, not even sure this puzzle is more than a fancy hunt the Wumpus game. Besides, cjmoles is known for trying to play on the Felt. I'm just not that in to poker.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 01:23:20 AM

>not even sure this puzzle is more than a fancy hunt the Wumpus game.
This would make a great epitaph Smiley

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
cjmoles
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 04:35:26 AM

That exact spot in that picture has been found....it's in France.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 06:34:49 AM

Amazing

I read that last night also, were you able to track down the podcast or is it still available? Didn't take to time to follow the links last night as I was bouncing back and forth in different direction.

yes!!
There it is

https://soundcloud.com/listentothispodcast/findsatoshi

Maybe we should download it
Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 07:37:17 AM

>not even sure this puzzle is more than a fancy hunt the Wumpus game.
This would make a great epitaph Smiley

I wouldn't be mad.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 09:05:07 AM

That exact spot in that picture has been found....it's in France.

Kaysersberg, Alsace, France.

https://findsatoshi.wordpress.com/the-facts/

Mr Felt (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 01:14:08 PM

Ahem . . . Zooko . . . again  Wink

https://botbot.me/freenode/bitcoin-wizards/
rusty
kanzure: oops... yeah, two conversations at once, that got smerged. s/bitcoin/bitlength/. Smiley I guess you can still extend if that's valid data, though.
9:23 pm bsm117532
kanzure I thought this was exactly why satoshi used *double* sha256?
9:34 pm zooko
rusty: that's "Merkle-Damgård strengthening" and it's not good enough to prevent length-extension attacks.
9:46 pm rusty
zooko: you mean you can extend after the bitlength, right? I guess you'd need to prepend the length to make this work, and that has other issues.
9:49 pm
bsm117532: I've heard that theory before, but don't understand it. Perhaps there was a concern that some future partial weakness in SHA could deconstruct the hash enough to weaken the PoW?
9:50 pm katu_
i can't readily imagine how. all you can do with le is append, which helps you add data to a commitment (typically secret in hmac-like construct)
9:50 pm
theres nothing of the sorts in bitcoin afaik
9:52 pm Taek
from what I've gathered, Satoshi was not an amazing cryptographer, he may have done that out of paranoia
9:55 pm katu_
well, his prudence did pay off, especially in relation to SAT mining
9:56 pm zooko
Satoshi probably got it from Ferguson and Schneier's book "Practical Cryptography" / "Cryptography Engineering".
9:56 pm katu_
(ie simple means to double the number of rounds, without inventing non-standard hash function)
9:56 pm zooko
We also used that construction, which F&S named "SHA256d", in Tahoe-LAFS.

Probably . . .
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 01, 2016, 02:09:18 PM

Who is this guy? are you saying this guy is satoshi or something? what's the backstory? Also I think that no matter how much you ask, whoever satoshi is will admit being satoshi.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: