Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:30:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Satoshi Dead?  (Read 12189 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:45:25 AM

Also, he might be dead, in which case it is sad that no one will ever know unless family steps forward.

You don't think Gavin knows who / what Satoshi is?

I can state with fair certainty that he does not.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:01:16 AM

Also, he might be dead, in which case it is sad that no one will ever know unless family steps forward.

You don't think Gavin knows who / what Satoshi is?

I can state with fair certainty that he does not.

You know he is Satoshi don't you? You know all kinds of insider stuff.

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:58:54 AM

If I were him, I'd cash out right now and crash the market.

No. Just no.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:30:52 AM

Bitcoin could have been created by corporate elitists for all we know. With so little information, everything being claimed about "satoshi" is just hearsay and there might not be a "satoshi" at all. The truth is we don't know who/what created bitcoin or what their intentions are/were.

Seeing how brain-dead the "corporate elitists" are, I'm pretty sure it wasn't their brainchild. Unless you think MBA's can outprogram actual developers.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:25:29 AM

What I'm really trying to say is that we use Bitcoin under the premise that it was created with noble intentions for use as a currency free from government control and manipulation. We believe that just because we do. BUT - that might just be what the creator WANTS us to think and this could all be part of some secret plan where the endgame hasn't happened yet. What I'm saying is that we accept that bitcoin exists for a good purpose but that might not be so. The REAL truth is unknown.

Yes, and every atom of oxygen you inhale may actually be seeded with the mind-control drugs of.. < insert paranoid nightmare >

You don't exactly have any kind of "insightful" look into bitcoin, more like the ramblings of a paranoid person wandering the street. Get back to us when you have something real, eh?

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 06:43:00 AM

I am of a firm belief "Satoshi" is a group of developers. It seems much more rational that a group of 2-3 experts created this over one lonewolf genius techno-rebel with 100% mastery of cryptography, economics, and programming. There is some evidence to support this with the patent applications and domain registration details for bitcoin.org. There is a thread about it here somewhere but Im too lazy to go find it.

Even so, for this gift, I hope they are all filthy rich. Bitcoin is open source, no one has ever found anything linking it to some kind of fraud or backdoor into their pockets. Someone had to start the blockchain, they were the first, and Bitcoin was first, simple as that. It is easy to assume they mined a lot of coin themselves in those early days. They worked hard when Bitcoin was worth nothing but the sake of the experiment itself. I would rather futurist philanthropists be the rich ones than corporate bankster scumbags. Hopefully they use their new fortune to drive similar open source ventures later for the betterment of the world.

These arguments over Satoshi's fortune make it sound like he/she or they should give the BTC back or something. Why is it a problem that they struck gold with their creation or that they profited from their good work? It can't be stated for sure they even had any idea Bitcoin would become what it did 3 years ago when the coins were just a curiosity and not a usable currency in any form.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 07:23:46 AM

The inscription - "Strength in Numbers"...
And that was how satoshi became the first victim of a reorganization.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:34:32 PM

Newest gossip I think I heard regarding this subject was Satoshi = Jed McCaleb

Creator of Edonkey2000. A p2p file sharing system. Creator of MtGox. Fascination with Japanese for some reason. And now CTO over at ripple.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:40:17 PM

Here is something interesting taken from edonkey as well. It's talking about it's improvements over the popular napster of the day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDonkey2000

A third improvement compared to Napster was the use of file hashes instead of simple filenames in search results. File searches initiated by the user were keyword-based and matched against the filename list stored on the eDonkey2000 server, but the server returned a list of filenames paired with the hash values of those files to the client. When selecting a file from the list presented to the user, the client would actually initiate a download by hash value. This meant that a file could have many different filenames across different peers, but would be considered identical for purposes of downloading if its hash was the same.

Hmmm, Jed was integrating a hashing function into P2P back in 2000. Interesting Smiley

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:02:57 PM

I actually thnk he might have nailed it here. Wow  Shocked

If he is not the man himself I think you might have a member of the core team (2-3 people?)

If I cared more I would look into it. Thats ok because Im sure someone else will figure it out someday. I honestly think bitcoin is better off if we don't know anyways. I feel like knowing he invented it alone would somehow cheapen it. People like the mystique of an unknown developer. If we knew who it was and they had a bad rep...
aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:10:17 PM

the same question again and again
why we should care ?
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:47:16 PM

I am of a firm belief "Satoshi" is a group of developers.

I've seen this statement a few times now and agree that there was a group. But I think Satoshi is the code name of one of the original developers in the group, not the group itself.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:03:15 PM

why we should care ?

Of course we should care. He's the Messiah and unless we find his other scrolls we will never be able to pin down a date for the rapture.

Geez

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:02:31 PM

I think we can all be pretty sure that Satoshi Nakamoto is not a real name. "Satoshi" can be translated into the English word "guidance".

One of the reasons why Bitcoin as a decentralized system can work is because there is nobody who controls and owns it. That's I think one of the reasons why Satoshi disappeared and also wanted everyone to forget about the "mysterious founder" thing. He just wants this Bitcoin thing to work out.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:09:29 PM

Probably he's reading this thread now.  Who knows  Grin

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 10:21:58 PM

why we should care ?

Of course we should care. He's the Messiah and unless we find his other scrolls we will never be able to pin down a date for the rapture.

Satoshi published an autobiography, but nobody on Earth can decipher it.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:08:12 PM

why we should care ?

Satoshi published an autobiography, but nobody on Earth can decipher it.   Tongue

Mmmph.  The Voynich Manuscript.   Cool

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
EBM

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:48:52 AM

If BTC succeeds, Satoshi does not want to be found.

If BTC goes titsup, Satoshi REALLY does not want to be found.

There are existential risks to BTC. It may be the v 1.0 of cryptocurrency that ultimately fails, with something else taking its place.

Maybe all crypto will fail, and nothing takes its place.

Maybe it succeeds, and becomes the world's reserve currency.

However it pans out, nobody can blame Satoshi for avoiding the limelight. Anyone with a brain would do the exact same thing.

BTC: 1DZnyYaZ2VcQWNyYayNBqfTVQw2JQAmdA5
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: