Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:41:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Satoshi Dead?  (Read 12189 times)
bitfair

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:43:25 PM

Back in 2009 when Satoshi still did personal e-mails to members, it was pretty easy with a tracking pixel to pinpoint where he was at the time even though he used a foreign e-mail server. His Mac was using a plain vanilla e-mail client that would load the pixels from the same place for every message he read from me, so if the search is where was he at the time years ago, I can shed some light on that.

Please elaborate!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:43:59 PM

Given his history, his UID would have to be the most unlikely person anyone could conceive of.

My vote goes to Atlas.
My favorite contrarian guess is MysteryMiner.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:46:49 PM

Back in 2009 when Satoshi still did personal e-mails to members, it was pretty easy with a tracking pixel to pinpoint where he was at the time even though he used a foreign e-mail server. His Mac was using a plain vanilla e-mail client that would load the pixels from the same place for every message he read from me, so if the search is where was he at the time years ago, I can shed some light on that.

Wait... what?

He's a Mac user... but wrote the first client for Windows?  Huh?

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:48:44 PM

Schroedinger's Satoshi  Grin
xavier

Activity: 260

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:54:07 PM

So much misinformation on here. I'm not sure whether it's deliberate or not.

Ultimately 'Satoshi' doesn't care at all about bitcoin. They just wants their money in coins which is a max of 5M (Im not sure exactly how much, but Im sure you can work it out from looking at the blockchain).

As explained they cannot cash out yet as doing so would decrease the value of their own holdings too much. They have no choice but to wait until there is enough interest that they will be able to cash out their holdings without having such a large effect on the ecosystem.

My guess is that will be another few years at least.

ANyone who wants to know more about Satoshi should talk to Gavin and Theymos. Not only does Theymos know the exact location of Satoshi due to the fact they were a regular on these forums for so long, but both of them have the secret 'Alert' keys that can only have been supplied to them by Satoshi. They for certain will know who Satoshi is; and I'm guessing they are staying quiet for a reason.

PS. I'm referring to Satoshi in the plural due to my belief that 'Satoshi' is a pseudonym for a collection of people.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:10:22 PM

The identity of Satoshi is no secret (a simply Google search and some reading will reveal the persons who are Satoshi - it has already been uncovered by a journalist) - and it is not just a single person.

Really? My Google searches just point to lots of theories and suspects. I can't find any 'Satoshi is XYZ' anywhere as you claim.

J.Socal

Activity: 495
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:10:40 PM

just did a quick numbers on that name and it = 10
cjp

Activity: 210
Merit: 124

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 07:11:06 PM

Imagine you are Satoshi:
  • You invented the biggest thing since the Internet, so you're obviously proud of it, and want it to become a success. This is even more important than becoming rich.
  • You are really afraid that governments are going to try to prosecute everything and everyone related to Bitcoin

So what are you going to do with your pile of bitcoins?
  • Any attempt to spend them or send them through a mixing service will probably be noticed, potentially causing panic on exchange markets. It's best to only do this when Bitcoin has a solid foundation in the economy (e.g. a large majority of Internet shops accepts them), so that large fluctuations are unlikely.
  • You expect a dangerous period of prosecution, after which (hopefully) the world will embrace Bitcoin. It's best to stay low until the storm is over.

Donate to: 1KNgGhVJx4yKupWicMenyg6SLoS68nA6S8
http://cornwarecjp.github.io/amiko-pay/
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 08:06:23 PM by johnyj

Those bitcoins work just like central bank's reserve, when the currency exchange is in danger, they can step up and invervene

I remember that some time ago I read a chinese bank official's published analyze of bitcoin, and at the end of the article, he mentioned that banks would like to have majority of this currency as reserve in order to have control over the market price of bitcoin

This concern has some reason, since the biggest danger from bitcoin is that the exchange price goes to moon and there is no way to cool it. It will absorb no matter how much new money central bankers put into the market, that will dramatically negate the effort for fiat monetary policy. Any bubble will burst with a tighten of fiat money supply, but bitcoin is an currency, normal monetary policy won't affect it. If banks hold several millions of coin, then they will have the controll of exchange price (short term)

I have heard about that someone would like to order all the batch 1 avalon machines when it first launched, I guess some big players are already there accumulating bitcoin/hash power reserve for their long term purpose

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:34:58 PM

I would guess the following about Satoshi:

1) He is alive and owns some substantial amount of coins. Of course nobody knows how many he has, for this would be impossible to know.

2) He is hiding and will never come forward as Satoshi. He must read the forums regularly, and is likely astounded that Bitcoin has grown to such a project. I bet he gets a little teary whenever he reads the latest developments, and in the back of his mind is thinking, "holy shit look what I did!! Badass!"
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:41:26 PM

Here is Satoshi (the Coin Master) preparing for his next adventure.  Cheesy

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 07:47:41 PM

Satoshi is just an Artificial Intelligence. I won't be surprised if it was created by an accident in a Google lab.
xavier

Activity: 260

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 08:54:18 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 09:57:05 PM by xavier

I would guess the following about Satoshi:

1) He is alive and owns some substantial amount of coins. Of course nobody knows how many he has, for this would be impossible to know.

2) He is hiding and will never come forward as Satoshi. He must read the forums regularly, and is likely astounded that Bitcoin has grown to such a project. I bet he gets a little teary whenever he reads the latest developments, and in the back of his mind is thinking, "holy shit look what I did!! Badass!"

1. Yes I'd think it is possible to know. We know when Satoshi released the bitcoin software, we can put a high probability that Satoshi made the first couple of transactions (the largest ones) for his own benefit, as hardly anyone would've known about the technology at that point. Sorry, I cant be bothered to do the research right now, but Im sure its not difficult to figure out. We also have an archive of all the forum and newsgroup posts. It cannot be difficult to work out how many coins Satoshi owns. Heres a subject for the next sensational news article about bitcoin.

2. Im sure Satoshi is not at all astounded about Bitcoin. I'm no expert in C++, but from what I've read the original bitcoin code was of exceptional quality. Many potential hacks had been anticipated. Its clear that alot of work went into developing the concept, and that it was developed over a number of years. Its also clear that the authors were incredibly smart and had anticipated many future problems, which is why the technology has survived so long exposed to the world's hackers and computer experts. It's clear that the reason Satoshi decided to become anonymous from the beginning was because he anticipated the explosiveness of his invention. Its clear that's why Satoshi published his paper in 2009 as Satoshi, and not as his own name.

Really? My Google searches just point to lots of theories and suspects. I can't find any 'Satoshi is XYZ' anywhere as you claim.

Satoshi has always been Satoshi for a reason. Satoshi never wanted to be un-anonymous. Therefore Im not surprised that the authors will not reveal themselves as being Satoshi. However you will find a very similar patent to Satoshi's paper published in the month's preceding Satoshi's paper authored by 3 people. It's clear that the authors of this patent, having stumbled upon the bitcoin idea, made a decision to publish it fully in a pseudonymn because they foresaw the potential for the technology. They also foresaw it would be better for their networth & stress levels to just sit on a huge amount of coins and remain anonymous than to continue development in the mainstream. There's a good article that sums all of this up by providing clear evidence of who these authors are.

PS. Im not going to link to the article because this post may be removed if I link to it... thats why I said u have to use Google.
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 09:42:48 PM

Not sure who satoshi is but it could make a great movie one day  Grin

Bitrated user: Mick.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

Chuck Norris kicked Satoshi in the ass to start mining for him back in the day...
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 11:06:09 PM

Exactly. There's not much money on Gox.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
BTC Books

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:08:20 PM

We know when Satoshi released the bitcoin software, we can put a high probability that Satoshi made the first couple of transactions (the largest ones) for his own benefit, as hardly anyone would've known about the technology at that point.

Seriously?  There are 45,000 individual wallets, each with 50BTC in them.  Which are Satoshi's?  The first transactions were tiny.  Satohi's to another cryptographer.

...I cant be bothered to do the research right now...

Clearly.

...but from what I've read the original bitcoin code was of exceptional quality.

From what I've read, the code was sloppy, and kind of a hack job.

Im not going to link to the article because this post may be removed if I link to it...

Removed by whom?  The Illuminati?

Why hasn't Phinnaeus Gage had his post removed then:  a post that's been floating around for a year?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67840.0;all

Conspiracy much?

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 11:16:31 PM

What fraction of the first n Bitcoins ever created have been spent?  I would presume the first 1 million or so belong to Satoshi. I think
He was likely smart enough to periodically mix them though.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
BTC Books

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:20:58 PM

What fraction of the first n Bitcoins ever created have been spent?

A very small fraction.

I would presume the first 1 million or so belong to Satoshi.

You would be mistaken.  Read the link - a couple posts up - to the Phinneas Gage post.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 11:24:21 PM

50 million dollars is a decent chunk of change for almost any software developer or economist.  It's the kind of stash that, even if you are in Bitcoin for the long haul, the temptation to cash out just 2% of it and buy a yacht or an island or something is just too great
It is possible he cashed out part of his coins. It is almost impossible he had only one walled and not 2% of his coins stored somewhere else.

1) Satoshi's coins are lost
It is most likely what happened to early bitcoins.

2) Satoshi's coins are in the hands of some kind of corporate entity
Noy impossible but somehwat unlikely. First the private keys must be to the company and then the company decided not to move them. Not smart decision from security perspective.

Honestly, if whoever this Satoshi person was wanted to do anything nefarious or silly, why would they make it open source and available for everyone to look at?
He already can do silly things with coins he have.
The identity of Satoshi is no secret (a simply Google search and some reading will reveal the persons who are Satoshi - it has already been uncovered by a journalist) - and it is not just a single person.
It is pure speculation. There are many white spots in that story and few things does not glue together.
Absolutely. Satoshi has been quoted as saying that there is absolutely NO reason to ever destroy a private key or wallet even if they contain no balance. Those coins are not lost
Hi did say it where? He is right, I also always keep all wallets and private keys I ever come across, really no need to delete them.
As I know he used Tor to send e-mails and the tracking pixel would not work as intended trough Tor. And I doubt he would be so careless, this is decade old technique used to deanonymize someone by skids and feds. Even Digital Fortress mentioned this trick.
My guess is that he is either still involved, just under a different name to avoid fans from overwhelming him or just has changed his lifestyle completely and left the world of digital currency behind
You can never leave computers, coding or hacking if you are into it. It is so much better than sex or drugs combined. He either is still here or something very bad happened to him.
Dead? Possible, of course, but super intelligent people have a habit of surviving, and I'd put him in this class.
And I thought that super healthy people have habit of surviving. It would be bad if he left and did not implement some dead hand system in case of his imprisonment or death.
Given his history, his UID would have to be the most unlikely person anyone could conceive of.

My vote goes to Atlas.
I vote then for Dank or Luke-Jr.
My favorite contrarian guess is MysteryMiner.
Cheesy I'm not Satoshi and even if I am I will never tell You!
You just wait until he releases the next thing he's working on. I doubt he has been Idle.
Bitcoin might be one hit wonder. His next thing might be something unimpressive like video codec filter or server database engine. Or Satoshi is cheesing all day long looking at awesome boobs.
Imagine you are Satoshi:

You invented the biggest thing since the Internet, so you're obviously proud of it, and want it to become a success. This is even more important than becoming rich.
    You are really afraid that governments are going to try to prosecute everything and everyone related to Bitcoin
In next few years we will see. Obviously Satoshi knows Phil Zimmerman story. No one wants to end up in Camp Justice for creating and exporting ammunition using his code compiler.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: