Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:57:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Satoshi Dead?  (Read 12189 times)
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:44:22 PM

50 million dollars is a decent chunk of change for almost any software developer or economist.  It's the kind of stash that, even if you are in Bitcoin for the long haul, the temptation to cash out just 2% of it and buy a yacht or an island or something is just too great.  Not doing so means that you are either extremely wealthy already, or some kind of supervillain who intends to take over the world once Bitcoin is in more widespread use.  I don't think either description fits.  I'm thinking that, by now, there are only two options as to why this hasn't happened:

1) Satoshi's coins are lost

2) Satoshi's coins are in the hands of some kind of corporate entity

Either of these scenarios has implications for the future of Bitcoin.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:58:11 PM

50 million dollars is a decent chunk of change for almost any software developer or economist.  It's the kind of stash that, even if you are in Bitcoin for the long haul, the temptation to cash out just 2% of it and buy a yacht or an island or something is just too great.  Not doing so means that you are either extremely wealthy already, or some kind of supervillain who intends to take over the world once Bitcoin is in more widespread use.  I don't think either description fits.  I'm thinking that, by now, there are only two options as to why this hasn't happened:

You're assuming Satoshi was just one person... that's not necessarily the case.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 04:28:41 PM

You're assuming Satoshi was just one person human... that's not necessarily the case.

fixed that lol Tongue

Honestly, if whoever this Satoshi person was wanted to do anything nefarious or silly, why would they make it open source and available for everyone to look at? The logic some people use for this kind of thing doesn't make sense.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:30:57 PM

And how, exactly, do you know that Satoshi hasn't cached out 2% of his coins?
xavier

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:43:50 PM

There is no way that those coins are lost. Someone smart enough to (1) create bitcoin and (2) leave the community to remain anonymous and just sit on the 5M (max) coins that they had created would definitely not loose such a huge number of coins.

Clearly 'Satoshi' is very much in touch with bitcoin and is tracking these forums regularly to work out a good time to release the coins and cash out. The problem for Satoshi is if they touch those coins, it's going to cause a huge amount of interest. Any cashing out would cause chaos. It doesnt matter if he only liquidated a small proportion - it would show in the blockchain that he/they is active and any action by itself that hinted a liquidation of such a large number of coins would be sure to cause a huge sell-off and problems for bitcoin, hence devaluing Satoshi's large holding. Maybe they should have thought about that problem when they designed the blockchain Wink

The identity of Satoshi is no secret (a simply Google search and some reading will reveal the persons who are Satoshi - it has already been uncovered by a journalist) - and it is not just a single person.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 04:48:30 PM

I highly doubt that he would dump all of his coins on the market at once and crash the bitcoin market. I have faith that he understands economics 101.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:50:24 PM

Yeah, I'm fine.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:57:56 PM

There is no way that those coins are lost. Someone smart enough to (1) create bitcoin and (2) leave the community to remain anonymous and just sit on the 5M (max) coins that they had created would definitely not loose such a huge number of coins.

Absolutely. Satoshi has been quoted as saying that there is absolutely NO reason to ever destroy a private key or wallet even if they contain no balance. Those coins are not lost.

Honestly, if whoever this Satoshi person was wanted to do anything nefarious or silly, why would they make it open source and available for everyone to look at? The logic some people use for this kind of thing doesn't make sense.

Open source? There are lots of open source projects. That really has nothing to do with anything. His coins are there regardless if it is open source or closed. Open source allowed Satoshi to disappear, and take along his coins. Sure, it's only $250 Million USD now. What will it be in a couple of years? If Satoshi was already financially secure... why not way a few years before grabbing some change? He didn't cash out last time it was over $30. What makes this time any different?

It's easy to get an idea of how many coins he had at the beginning. Who's to say that he doesn't have other coins that he accumulated besides those that were mined if he needed money?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 05:42:18 PM

I didn't know this topic still came up, are people still looking for him? He is not dead, but he does like his privacy.  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
xisnotx

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 05:44:58 PM

Out of the two options given, the second one seems more probable.
Why wouldn't he do so?

If I were him, I'd cash out right now and crash the market.

I guess that's why I'm not him. I would have cashed out at dollar parity.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

I didn't know this topic still came up, are people still looking for him? He is not dead, but he does like his privacy.  Grin

Are you still working on Timekoin?
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 06:03:51 PM

Back in 2009 when Satoshi still did personal e-mails to members, it was pretty easy with a tracking pixel to pinpoint where he was at the time even though he used a foreign e-mail server. His Mac was using a plain vanilla e-mail client that would load the pixels from the same place for every message he read from me, so if the search is where was he at the time years ago, I can shed some light on that.

The question though is he dead, well he might be or he might not be? If he wanted the world to know, it was be easy enough for me to verify since he has the only private e-mail address that we exchanged messages with, so he could just send a "hey I am still alive" message.

My guess is that he is either still involved, just under a different name to avoid fans from overwhelming him or just has changed his lifestyle completely and left the world of digital currency behind. Also, he might be dead, in which case it is sad that no one will ever know unless family steps forward.

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 06:06:01 PM

There only like 5 million bucks on MtGox.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Nick

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:15:22 PM

Where do you guys get the idea that Satoshi owns so and so many bitcoins? I always thought that the often quoted number of "one million Bitcoins" seems off, but now you're pulling "5 million" out of your asses. What the hell!

Stop spreading FUD!
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:15:49 PM

Dont forget if you have just invented probably the most significant thing since the internet, you are hardly going to destroy youu legacy by "Crashing" bitcoin even if you could.

And if he wanted to I am sure he could earn more money than you or I could imagine by quietly whispering, yeah and Bitcoin was one of my earlier projects...

You think he would need ever to withdraw those Bitcoins? I doubt it.  

Dead? Possible, of course, but super intelligent people have a habit of surviving, and I'd put him in this class.

You just wait until he releases the next thing he's working on. I doubt he has been Idle.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:17:35 PM

Satoshi is a time-traveler who came from a dystopian future where centrally-managed currencies have caused economic havok and chaos. Strapping himself in his machine, he pushed a button and popped up on the outskirts of a major city. Making his way to the nearest hackspace, he began his coding odyssey.

When the whitepaper was complete, along with the code for the first client running along on his personal network, he sent the results out into the greater internet for it to germinate into the vibrant movement that it is today.

Looking down at his monitor, he only had a few seconds to consider what he had accomplished, before his upstream timeline was wiped out by the tsunami of change that bitcoin will be.

A well worn coin dropped to the floor from thin air, rolling to rest in the cracks of the dingy linoleum. The world had been saved, but would never know the man that started it all.

The inscription - "Strength in Numbers"...

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:30:04 PM

Do you honestly think that bitcoin would have gained traction while being closed source? Cheesy

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 06:31:10 PM

The actual Satoshi has not yet even been born. And the time machine inventor is just a glimmer in his mother's eye.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:40:08 PM

I fall in the camp that believes Satoshi is still alive, and is a regular on the forum:  or at least one of the group collectively known as Satoshi, if he's more than one person.

Given his history, his UID would have to be the most unlikely person anyone could conceive of.

My vote goes to Atlas.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:40:37 PM

The actual Satoshi has not yet even been born. And the time machine inventor is just a glimmer in his mother's eye.

What do we want? TIME TRAVEL!
When do we want it? IT'S IRRELEVANT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: