Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:52:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens to BTC when Finra or the SEC shut down Mtgox for money laundering?  (Read 4307 times)
Vince Torres (OP)

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:39:09 AM

Serious question, if they would shut down pokerstars and megaupload for no reason other than someone lobbied or asked them to; what is stopping them from shutting down Mtgox?

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:42:52 AM

Well, it would be bad, but I think the other exchanges could pick up the slack.  Many other exchanges go through extra trouble to meet AML requirements and such (thinking CampBX).

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 05:45:43 AM

btc-e would go first.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:47:01 AM

btc-e would go first.

lolwut

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:19:58 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 06:36:17 AM by odolvlobo

The SEC and FINRA are not all-powerful. They can't just go to Japan and shut down Mtgox.

btc-e would go first.

My guess is that btc-e would go last. Eastern Europe is about as far from the clutches of the U.S. government as you can get (well I suppose China is further).

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 12:40:11 PM

the window has closed for this

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:58:08 PM

Could you elaborate please?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

Could you elaborate please?

There's a more than 3000 people queue of newly signed up users at mtgox waiting on just being able to verify their account. If they'd want to shut down mtgox, they couldn't do it on the pretense that they are currently breaking any laws. They'd have to pass new laws, and who knows how long that would take or what kind of consequences for Bitcoin and for them doing so in the first place could have. One scenario certainly is that just by intending to pass laws regulating Bitcoin they'd lend so much credibility to Bitcoin that it could easily explode to such a scale that would actually kill their mafia of psychopaths called the government, hence the window might have actually already closed for them.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
inge

Activity: 298

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:06:38 PM

There's a more than 3000 people queue of newly signed up users at mtgox waiting on just being able to verify their account. If they'd want to shut down mtgox, they couldn't do it on the pretense that they are currently breaking any laws. They'd have to pass new laws, and who knows how long that would take or what kind of consequences for Bitcoin and for them doing so in the first place could have. One scenario certainly is that just by intending to pass laws regulating Bitcoin they'd lend so much credibility to Bitcoin that it could easily explode to such a scale that would actually kill their mafia of psychopaths called the government, hence the window might have actually already closed for them.

We've been through the Trusted procedure of MtGox, they take this very serious. They will do all it takes to prevent legal prosecution. You can't just forbid trade.

I also expect there will be a corporate only Bitcoins exchange soon enough, excluding private people.
Like the trade in commercial Uranium or certain chemicals.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:58:06 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2013, 03:29:21 PM by mobile4ever

Serious question, if they would shut down pokerstars and megaupload for no reason other than someone lobbied or asked them to; what is stopping them from shutting down Mtgox?

This is another reason why we need decentralized bitcoin markets. Shutting down one server
is easy for a lot of people, not just the "they" you are talking about. If we had decentralized
bitcoin markets our lives would be easier and bitcoin would grow around the world.

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:02:10 PM

Nothing. Wait until Gox is in the clutches of the US jurisdiction when Coinlab moves operations to US mainland.

It's my impression that some of the principals involved in moving Gox are naive about political processes and implications as well as basic history.
solomon

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 06:46:49 PM

btc-e would go first.

It's going now. Without any outside influence. Can hardly ever log in.

We definately need many exchanges on every continent of the world to minimalize the impact of government shutdowns. The way MTGOX currently dominates is a slight worry, as it creates a single point of faliure, but bitstamp is catching up for EU i think.

BTW these forums will be one of the first things to go down if bitcoin is made illegal.

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
moni3z

Activity: 899

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:10:02 PM

Remember Ukash is forbidden to sell to Americans because their vouchers can be used for online gambling. Paysafecard sells a neutered version to americans that cant be used for gambling nobody accepts. Since there is no special bitcoin to prevent gambling its forever a risk of getting shut down when you deal with Americans.

Severian

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:36:24 PM

One scenario certainly is that just by intending to pass laws regulating Bitcoin they'd lend so much credibility to Bitcoin that it could easily explode to such a scale that would actually kill their mafia of psychopaths called the government, hence the window might have actually already closed for them.

That's my hope also, but we also have to keep the psychopathy in mind.

Psychopaths/sociopaths that have a powerbase have ultimate faith in their own abilities and believe themselves to be smarter than everyone else based on the simple logic of "I must be smarter than everyone else because I'm president/senator/Jamie Dimon/etc". When they're confronted with something they can't control via side channels, they'll regulate it outright. If they can't kill its market through regulation, they'll start disrupting the lives of people involved in making and moving the market, including confiscation of property, arrest and murder.  In Bitcoin's case, this would be developers, large pool operators and publicly known holders of large stashes of btc.

We're still in the "control through side channels" period of contact with TPTB. Moving Gox to the US will give TPTB the ability to attempt to manipulate Bitcoin's price and keep it undervalued. If they can keep the price low they'll be protecting their own gold market, their own favorite manipulated physical asset. If this fails and the price can't be controlled, they might skip the regulation phase and just jump straight to the disruption stage.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:41:53 PM

We definately need many exchanges on every continent of the world to minimalize the impact of government shutdowns.

I agree. Bitcoin markets should be decentralized, just like bitcoin.
BitCoinLoft

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 07:49:53 PM

As long as mtgox (or any other xchange for that matter) do not breach laws, they cannot shut down them. DOJ is not almighty either. When they shut down fulltilt and almost did the same with pokerstars, these companies were explicitly vilotating the law. if a certain site allows us players to gamble with btc, it is mtgox that must ban the site. btc cannot just be declared ilegal and banned. the bottomline is that if there are lot of btc users, lot of xchanges, it will become almost impossible to stop btc. so ppl, just promote btc, do everything to help bitconomy. it is our right to have bitcoin.
Newscastix

Activity: 349

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 08:00:23 PM

There is at least one exchange that cannot be shut down as easily as Mt. Gox:

https://localbitcoins.com

They can shut down the site but not the market itself. As decentralized as it gets.
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 08:02:15 PM

There is a huge difference between usd-btc exchanges and currency exchanges. btc-e does usd-rur and usd-eur.  That is a big no-no.  Exchanging between currencies with zero information about your customers is highly illegal, and it does not matter where they are located.  I cant believe they haven't been shut down yet.  It is only a matter of time.
Severian

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 08:07:50 PM

As long as mtgox (or any other xchange for that matter) do not breach laws, they cannot shut down them. DOJ is not almighty either.

Passing a law dealing with money is a trivial thing for those with a monopoly on currency, credit and force here in the good ol' US of A.

I have more faith in cooperation (networks) than I do in force (government) but we do have to be realistic about who we're dealing with. "Law" means nothing to government because they own it. Laws are only for us, not for them.
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 08:17:54 PM

BTW these forums will be one of the first things to go down if bitcoin is made illegal.
Yeah just like all those websites and forums where one can talk about illegal drugs and filesharing don't exist.  Wait a minute...

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: