Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:15:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You can not cancel a order at Butterfly Labs  (Read 5233 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:17:59 PM

I understand that a lot of people are angry because BFL has continually missed their deadlines, but I think this is more caused by incompetence rather than actual malice. Their project management skills are lackluster at best, but I'm not ready to call it a scam yet.

That's what they want you to believe and at one time I would've agreed with you. If however, you look back at past announcements it becomes very clear over time that they were nowhere near shipping at any point last year, yet they repeatedly led investors to believe shipments were imminent. It's a fraud and they're very plainly in violation of FTC prompt delivery regulations and have been for months.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:22:11 PM

I preordered, but I got over it and I accepted I was scammed.
Did you cancel your order or did you pay in bitcoin?

Hell, BFL have got almost 30.000 preorders right now, and they are spending A LOT of money advertising they still non-existing units for preorder.
You think those order numbers are correct? If so, they'd have to produce 4 units per hour 27/4 from now on to deliver actual orders within this year.

BFL knows that, and STILL is accepting preorders and investing a lot in advertising. They are SCAM, full point.
Well in this case their only option would be to run off to some 3rd world country or else spend a long time in prison.

Well, the last order nº I saw was in the range of the 25.000, so I'm quite sure they reached 30.000. Maybe that's not the actual number, but even if it's half of it is still A LOT of orders...

And what about one order of 10 units? You don't get only one number per unit, right? So I'm quite sure they have dozens of thousands of preordered machines in the backlog. That's pretty scammy, and these guys are still saying newbies that they will get their unit ordered today "sometime in June, sooner if possible"

Wink

h4r13q1n

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:36:07 PM

"sometime in June, sooner if possible"

Probably June 2014 if ever.
sclek

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:52:51 PM

This makes me glad that I never went through with ordering from Butterfly Labs a few months ago.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:51:14 PM

This makes me glad that I never went through with ordering from Butterfly Labs a few months ago.

Same for me.
Is the first time i'm happy not to be a early adopter...
Because obv i would have fallen into the trap and lose 5000btc to this bunch of scammers

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
Aztec

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 08:55:06 PM

It is a guessing game.

lets say the difficulty quadruples to 20.000.000 until July 1st. And lets say that's the date one gets his Single SC, mining 60 GH/s. You'd make ฿45.87 per month or $3.200 at an exchange rate of $70.

so the players in the game basically are

- difficulty
- exchange rate
- your fraction of the total hashpower of the network

It's not rocket science, still you have do do some estimations and some math.
the big question is what will the difficulty be in n months - if you consider all of the 900 avalons and all of bfls 60.000 chips mining. I did this calculation but the only result I remember was "I'm okay with that". Maybe someone else has the numbers.

I think I get it now. The bit I was missing is that the network adjust difficulty to only allow a finite number of coins to be mined in a given time period. When the network grows and or hardware improves there is a risk that more coins will be mined that should be mined for that period of time. Therefore the difficulty is adjusted to ensure that the coins aren't found quicker than they should be thus making it very difficult for lesser hardware to solve the calculations. Every 4 years the amount of bitcoins you get for successfully completing a problem is halved so that it becomes even more difficult to mine them. Very clever and indeed the mining analogy is very apt.

Thanks Guys for helping clear it up for me. In a nutshell, once these ASICS ship my mining days are done.

I shall however keep battering my trusted HD5850 for a very meager return, in the vain hope that these things will one day be worth a few thousand and can pay for my kids college fees haha. Some people say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

BitCoin rocks when you grasp it but 2 things bother me

1) The electricity companies win big but the rewards wont result in lower fuel bills for people. Also bad for the environment
2) The government(s) will declare it illegal tender because they cant tax it. This will mean that it will never become mainstream. You'll be very restricted to where you can spend your coins.

I could see the whole thing dying a death to be honest. If an online pool provider or wallet provider rips everyone off it would knock confidence. Also a major computer crash could result in many coins being lost. Not to mention hackers emptying peoples wallets. If you cant spend proper coins down at "The Nags Head" there's no legs in it long term.

The only people who cash in are the early adopters just like in a Pyramid scheme
mister_r

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 09:08:16 PM

I did in fact cancel my order of a single and got an instant refund. Will probably try the Jalapeno if it ever comes out, just for fun.
lolz

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 11:12:38 PM

Literally every day I see more and more BFL Asic units for sale on eBay. I just hope the [likely] scam won't be so big as to cause a strong negative reaction within the BTC community as a whole.
nuclear

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 10:58:52 PM

I understand that a lot of people are angry because BFL has continually missed their deadlines, but I think this is more caused by incompetence rather than actual malice. Their project management skills are lackluster at best, but I'm not ready to call it a scam yet.

+1 on this.  Curious to see how it all plays out this year though.
cryptojournal

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:21:48 PM

$10.000 o_O... for a Single SC Huh? Wow, this sure beats Avalon's pricing...
tommychong

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:47:45 PM

i hope they ship my 60ghs soon
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 01:52:03 AM

Man i wish i would have snap shot it but yesterday day AVALON had a page right when you clicked the available /not available button that said a bug or a bitcoin bug could render the miner USELESS and to buy at your own risk!!!

Now imagine all these people who are at riot level receiving boxes with bad chips or bad firmware or BOTH!!! Its one thing to have taken youre $ and SCREWED YOU! But its another if they took your money screwed you with a obnoxious delay that greatly reduced the value of your ordered product only to delivery a buggy device that doesnt work well ... carrys a WARRANTY that if you USE??? YOU GO BACK TO THE END OF THE QUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I send you a bad device and if you want to return it there is 9 MONTH WAITING PERIOD!! Omg... im soooooo in the wrong business!! 

This is almost better than imaginary toll booths!!!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 04:06:46 PM

That message was there prior to batch 2 opening as well and has been addressed by Yifu.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: