Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:27:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in 20 years time  (Read 6174 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 11:09:00 AM

There will be no miners in 20 years because subsidy is to small to pay mining and bitcoin developers don't allow enough on chain transactions to maintain enough mining to keep the network safe, so bitcoin will be irrelevant or forked into POS.

They can always cancel halving in the interim (which is a must-do thing if they want Bitcoin to go on)

Lumada

Activity: 520
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 12:44:22 PM

There will be no miners in 20 years because subsidy is to small to pay mining and bitcoin developers don't allow enough on chain transactions to maintain enough mining to keep the network safe, so bitcoin will be irrelevant or forked into POS.

They can always cancel halving in the interim (which is a must-do thing if they want Bitcoin to go on)

The transaction fee is quite high now. It is almost 1 bitcoin at some blocks. In the next few years, it will be even higher.

OOOBTC.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bounty
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 16869

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 01:41:05 PM

99.21875% will be mined in 20 years time. If electricity isn't very cheap by then and/or if bitcoin isn't worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's hard to imagine anybody wanting to mine then. How will transactions then be verified?
Why is this hard to imagine? People were mining back at the start of Bitcoin, when it had no value at all. Don't forget you don't need a lot of miners, 1 computer can be enough to confirm all transactions!
The big benefit of having a lot of miners is of course that it's harder to attack the blockchain.

Transaction fees are already a few percent of the block reward. In 20 years, especially if blocks get bigger and allow more transactions, the fees could add up to Bitcoins per block.

Actually, the transaction fees revenue is below 2% of the block reward (1.84% according to the blockchain.info stats).
I just clicked the last 4 blocks (420278-420281). These are the fees: 1.01175876 + 0.49726408 + 0.3535004 + 0.4455881 = 2.30811134 BTC. That is 4.616% of the 50 BTC block rewards (for 4 blocks). Either way, it's a few percent, like I said. And it doesn't matter really, fees will only go up relative to block reward.

Not very far from a statistical error
Absolute data has nothing to do with statistical errors.

pearnapple

Activity: 504

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 01:57:45 PM

The transaction fee is quite high now. It is almost 1 bitcoin at some blocks. In the next few years, it will be even higher.
well i guess there will be a bitcoin block size increase in the future so we dont have to worry about it as it will definitely be fixed in the future, at least i hope for that right now

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 02:31:06 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2016, 03:33:14 PM by deisik

Not very far from a statistical error
Absolute data has nothing to do with statistical errors.

And how long ago percentages have become "absolute data"? Further, I didn't claim them to be a statistical error (margin of error, to be precise). I just said that it was quite close (in %%) to what is considered a statistical error. By the way, right now (as I write this post) the percentage is at 2.49, i.e. almost half as much

I just clicked the last 4 blocks (420278-420281). These are the fees: 1.01175876 + 0.49726408 + 0.3535004 + 0.4455881 = 2.30811134 BTC. That is 4.616% of the 50 BTC block rewards (for 4 blocks). Either way, it's a few percent, like I said. And it doesn't matter really, fees will only go up relative to block reward

The moral is that the fees revenue is pretty inconsistent so far (e.g. 1.01175876 BTC vs 0.3535004 BTC, i.e. ~3x difference). Wanna challenge that point?

CroSany

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 03:47:36 PM

I  think that always bitcoin will be alive because always will mining field gst some bdginner miner and if he see that earnings are amost nothing new miner will come and that in circle.
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 05:04:28 PM

That is related to block size.
If there is consensus to increase block size, there will be less competition and less transaction fees.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 05:11:33 PM

If there is consensus to increase block size, there will be less competition and less transaction fees.

If I get it right, this means that miners are not particularly interested in increasing the block size? In other words, that's the reason (one of) why it hasn't been increased so far?

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2016, 05:19:17 PM

I've heard that the fees are a "buyer's market", that is, their value depends on Bitcoin users willing to pay more for processing the transactions. Given that no one wants to pay more, it is safe to assume that people will transact less with higher amounts (aggregating their payments) in case fees start to rise, thereby essentially leveling off the miners' efforts to increase the fees...

What did I miss and did I miss anything at all?

yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 05:30:39 PM

99.21875% will be mined in 20 years time. If electricity isn't very cheap by then and/or if bitcoin isn't worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's hard to imagine anybody wanting to mine then. How will transactions then be verified?

You're ignoring at least three important factors:

1) The total amount of transaction fees: In 20 years - provided that Bitcoin is successful - a lot more transactions will be processed by the network. The average blocksize will most likely be bigger than today. That means, miners will obtain much more fees than today if they successfully solve a block. This gradual transition from a block reward to a fee reward operating mode is part of the original conception of Bitcoin.

2) The valuation of Bitcoin: If Bitcoin is successful, a single coin will most certainly have a much higher buying power than today. Hence it might be still very profitable to mine given electricity prices are not appreciating at the same rate.

3) The efficiency of mining: Bitcoin mining is under constant optimization to lower costs and improving profits by increasing its efficiency. 20 years from now, Bitcoin miners will not only mine faster and with less electricity than today, it is also thinkable that "by-products" of mining - especially heat - are utilized for other purposes and monetized to increase profitability further.

So I don't think that there is any reason to worry that mining might end in 20 years.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2016, 05:33:15 PM

Yeah i was also thinking about it.
How transaction will be verified,if there will be no one to mine btc? because the pool will be almost mined right?
Any idea guys? i want to know the answer too Smiley
MaritiJames3

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:23:25 PM

At the moment it is useless to mine for coins right now because the halving is coming and it only gets harder to earn them.
In the past mining was very useful but times have changes and the best option right now is to just buy them.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 16869

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2016, 06:11:53 PM

If I get it right, this means that miners are not particularly interested in increasing the block size? In other words, that's the reason (one of) why it hasn't been increased so far?
This is my interpretation too. Miners don't benefit directly from larger blocks. But larger blocks are needed to allow more people to use Bitcoin, and more users will ultimately lead to a higher price, which benefits miners.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2016, 06:18:46 PM

This is my interpretation too. Miners don't benefit directly from larger blocks. But larger blocks are needed to allow more people to use Bitcoin, and more users will ultimately lead to a higher price, which benefits miners.

I don't think that miners collectively really care so much for future income, especially if it means sacrificing current revenue. In other words, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 06:39:41 PM

Do you think it can be happen in bitcoin instead of staying at pow it will convert into POS.. i think if they do that the price of bitcoin will decrease instead..
Better to increase the fee for miner so that miners can be still make a profit with their miner..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
Yadstiker

Activity: 373

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 06:56:56 PM

Do you think it can be happen in bitcoin instead of staying at pow it will convert into POS.. i think if they do that the price of bitcoin will decrease instead..
Better to increase the fee for miner so that miners can be still make a profit with their miner..

I do not think it will convert into PoS. PoW is very secure and can underpin the value of the bitcoin securely.
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 11:52:13 PM

Mining in 20 years would be difficult compared today's mining. As the time goes by Bitcoin lowers it supply so it means the harder it to mine. I think there would be Miners on that time coz they'll think that the price of the coin would be 20x higher as of today.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
..FAST DEPOSITS .........
..AND WITHDRAWALS..
    ▄▄████████▄▄                        ▄██████▄
  ▄███████▀██████▄                   ▄██████████▄
 ██████ ▀▀ ▄ █████       ██          ▄████████████▄
████████  ▄▀▄ ▀██▀      ▄███       ▄███          ███▄
███████▄  ▀▀▀ ▄██      ▄█████▄    ████████    ███████
███████  ██▀  ▄██     ████████▄   ███▀ ▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▀██
█████▄▄  ▀▀▄   ██▄    ▀▀█████▀▀   █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
 ██████ █ ▄ ▄█████    ▀▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▀   ████████    ██████▀
  ▀███████████████     ▀█████      ▀██████▄▄▄▄████▀▀
    ▀▀█████████▀         ███         ▀▀████████▀▀
..WHEEL OF..
..FORTUNE...
.WELCOME OFFER .
......200% + 50FS.....
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██████
████████████▀▀▀    ██████
███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
████▄     ▄█▀     ███████
███████▄ █▀      ████████
████████▌▐       ████████
█████████ ▄██▄  █████████
███████████████▄█████████
▀███████████████████████▀

.PLAY NOW.
[/ta
outatime1

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 12:23:24 AM

Hopefully in 20 years, the value of bitcoin will be so high that it will be profitable to still mine with the right equipment. Also, fees may need to be higher to pay miners.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Valzador

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 06:58:06 AM

In 20 years time, the advancements in technology would help lessen the cost of mining bitcoins. Maybe our everyday laptops will be as fast as the servers google have right now idk.

But 1 - Bitcoin should be adapted more so more transactions are sent = transaction fees go toward miners
and 2 - Advancements in technology should help in the ROI of bitcoin mining and other fees (e.g. electricity)
Daisy14

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 14, 2016, 07:03:06 AM

Me thinks miners would get most of their income from transaction fees...

The price of bitcoins would be so high that most people will trade in satoshis instead...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: