Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:12:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Still worthwhile mining with antminer S5?  (Read 3086 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 12:54:22 AM

Do you have a list of altcoins that can be mined with antminer S5? I had come to regard it as being obsolete. But altcoins could really drive demand for S5 again.
There's no real list, as any Antminer can mine all SHA256 algorithm coins, but the most profitable generally tends to be Peercoin; at the time of the halving it was actually briefly more profitable than Bitcoin before all the miners moved onto it and the difficulty rose. It now sits at near the profitability of Bitcoin. It's a nice coin to solomine, and it's a good alternative to Bitcoin mining if you're looking for some fun. Coin-switching pools are going to be your best bet for mining generally, but most altcoins are not profitable- especially SHA256 ones. Still quite a shame that there's been no miners like the S5 anymore- it ran well for its time, and still runs well for people with free electricity.

I personally like the newer "bigger" ones for lack of better word.  I am in a good position having a mining area with where power and noise is not a issue currently.  Only thing is with what I pay in electricity all I can currently mine with is S9's and GPU's (altcoin's).   Really the S5 was a miner that ran hot and loud to you could do things to help, but I don't see it is a great miner for a room you use stock.

And I'm not saying it was a bad miner I really liked mine.  In fact I liked the S5+ even better at the time that was really something to have so much power.  I was sad when I had to sell that one and upgrade.   If you had free electricity and looking for a miner of this generation the Avalon 4.1 was much better for a normal room.   But it was a higher priced unit.   

But yest S5 if free electricity can still earn, just make sure to do some ROI math as you don't want to pay to much.  S7's are getting awful cheap anymore so I think a lot more of free will look there and then deal with deal heat/noise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 11:04:00 AM

Do you have a list of altcoins that can be mined with antminer S5? I had come to regard it as being obsolete. But altcoins could really drive demand for S5 again.
There's no real list, as any Antminer can mine all SHA256 algorithm coins, but the most profitable generally tends to be Peercoin; at the time of the halving it was actually briefly more profitable than Bitcoin before all the miners moved onto it and the difficulty rose. It now sits at near the profitability of Bitcoin. It's a nice coin to solomine, and it's a good alternative to Bitcoin mining if you're looking for some fun. Coin-switching pools are going to be your best bet for mining generally, but most altcoins are not profitable- especially SHA256 ones. Still quite a shame that there's been no miners like the S5 anymore- it ran well for its time, and still runs well for people with free electricity.

I personally like the newer "bigger" ones for lack of better word.  I am in a good position having a mining area with where power and noise is not a issue currently.  Only thing is with what I pay in electricity all I can currently mine with is S9's and GPU's (altcoin's).   Really the S5 was a miner that ran hot and loud to you could do things to help, but I don't see it is a great miner for a room you use stock.

And I'm not saying it was a bad miner I really liked mine.  In fact I liked the S5+ even better at the time that was really something to have so much power.  I was sad when I had to sell that one and upgrade.   If you had free electricity and looking for a miner of this generation the Avalon 4.1 was much better for a normal room.   But it was a higher priced unit.  

But yest S5 if free electricity can still earn, just make sure to do some ROI math as you don't want to pay to much.  S7's are getting awful cheap anymore so I think a lot more of free will look there and then deal with deal heat/noise.
Fans are always replaceable on all Antminer units, so there's that; you can always install a cheapo fan if you feel a unit runs too hot or too loud. Avalon has always charged a bit of a premium since their manufacturing costs were (probably) higher, but their miners did well. An S7 is a pretty good choice, but if I had free electricity, I'd go for a cheap and relatively strong miner, and the S5 fits the niche. S7s are also starting to, but the price is a bit higher.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: