Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:37:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The biggest issue of altcoins?  (Read 1100 times)
From Above (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:40:19 PM

What is the biggest problem that every altcoin, crypto-platform, crypto-project has no choice but to face?

What has been the best innovation of overcoming the fundamental issues?

~CfA~

Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:48:45 PM

may this thing that i want to say is not the biggest issue but it is one of the bigger ones right up there.

i think the issue with most of the altcoins is their usability. i mean look at bitcoin, there are a lot of places that you can spend your bitcoin and buy stuff. but this is not true about altcoins. so unless any of them can find a real world application they will continue having a hard time getting any adoption.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:50:43 PM

They lack a valid use case. Too much bullshit, invalid hype.

Even Bitcoin's use case is limited, but important (mostly the reserve currency of crypto speculation/gambling).

Bitcoin is actually not better for commerce. And it is not better for most money transfers, although it may have some advantage in some cases of money transfer.

This is precisely where I intend to make everyone's jaw drop to the floor. I will only launch projects with a valid use case. This will be very clear.
From Above (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:52:26 PM

Even Bitcoin's use case is limited, but important (mostly the reserve currency of crypto speculation/gambling).

I agree.

What do u think about valid use cases as in

decentralized, blockchain-type-
(a) social platforms
(b) crowdfunding platforms
(c) music, gaming platforms
(d) academic, intelligence platforms

~CfA~

iamnotback

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:55:45 PM

I agree.

(a) social platforms

~CfA~

The most valid use case I think will be the one which enables all of those and more. A fundamental enabler technology. It is best if you build the legos and not all the projects. Don't try to do everything yourself in one project, because you kill the possible network effects. This is the mistake Steemit and Synereo, they tied their token to their social network. The token should be orthogonal to the ecosystem built with it.

I think the DAO was on the right track in terms of revolutionizing public funding, but they screwed up the design. Ethereum and its Turing complete permissionless smart contracts are the entirely wrong design for basing such a design on top off, because Ethereum will be littered with faulty contracts and chaos. Fork me Vitalik.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 01:59:31 PM

What is the biggest problem that every altcoin, crypto-platform, crypto-project has no choice but to face?

~CfA~

The biggest problem is centralization. Every cryptocurrency suffers from this an always will. To use its value you need to go back to fiat and those gateways are always going to be centralized.

There has been no innovation to resolve this problem as far as I'm aware of. Frankly I don't think its possible to be 100% decentralized.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:01:26 PM

The biggest problem is centralization. Every cryptocurrency suffers from this an always will. To use its value you need to go back to fiat and those gateways are always going to be centralized.

There has been no innovation to resolve this problem as far as I'm aware of. Frankly I don't think its possible to be 100% decentralized.

I agree of course, but you need a use case to drive the adoption of this decentralized block chain, in addition to having the design for it and being able to implement it.
From Above (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

I agree.

(a) social platforms

~CfA~

The most valid use case I think will be the one which enables all of those and more. A fundamental enabler technology. It is best if you build the legos and not all the projects. Don't try to do everything yourself in one project, because you kill the possible network effects. This is the mistake Steemit and Synereo, they tied their token to their social network.

I think the DAO was on the right track in terms of revolutionizing public funding, but they screwed up the design.

would u be interested in starting open Github freedom repository for anyone to contribute to such a fundamental enabler technology for the greater good of all crypto projects?

Development work and necessary contributions can be crowd-funded via blockchain tech and developed with broad participation by the equal and humble guidance of core developers and managers such as urself.

Setting up an elegant approach to "handle" decentralized cryptocurrency is very complicated.

Many projects' leaders seem to be corrupt, shady, onesided and/or more. More decentralization can help

There should not be feeling of leaders or committees in the first place with a true "fundamental enabler technology". I'm sure this will have to be built by the people with the power of the people for dramatic future application and liberation.

~CfA~

iamnotback

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:05:34 PM

would u be interested in starting open Github freedom repository for anyone to contribute to such a fundamental enabler technology for the greater good of all crypto projects?

No because I don't believe great designs are accomplished by committee in open source.

I believe great refinement and ecosystems are built in open source on top of great initial designs. Satoshi didn't design his system in public. He launched after he had already designed it and coded it up. The open source took over to refine and perfect it.

But I am open to providing a Github for a launched project that meets my goals, if that ever happens.

Monero is there for anyone who wants to go slog it out to design by committee or open source. Anyone else who thinks they can gain the momentum and lead such an open source design effort is welcome to try. I was listening to the Shadow developer today explain how these donations funded community driven projects seem to loose momentum.
From Above (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:08:43 PM

No because I don't believe great designs are accomplished by committee in open source.

I believe great refinement and ecosystems are built in open source on top of great initial designs. Satoshi didn't design his system in public. He launched after he had already designed it and coded it up. The open source took over to refine and perfect it.

Fork this - - it's ripe to work upon this fine software:
https://github.com/input-output-hk/Scorex

~CfA~

klbax381

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:11:32 PM

The biggest problem of every altcoin for now is centralized pools. The second is a rich holders holding 1% of total suply and more.
iamnotback

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:13:47 PM

Fork this - - it's ripe to work upon this fine software:
https://github.com/input-output-hk/Scorex

~CfA~

I can't comment on that source code base as I haven't studied it.

Scorex

We still don't have any protection from DDoS, so it's possible to break nodes by sending plenty of messages
BlackPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:19:11 PM

~CfA~
I think the biggest problem of altcoin is on a matter of trust. Now many altcoin sometimes disappear quickly. the market is not sure because some developers just took advantage. a lot has happened and I've pretty much experienced losses because of wrong in choosing investments for altcoin.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:22:24 PM

the biggest problem with crypto in general is most users have lost sight of the whole point. most are simply in it for the fiat.

most individual alts lack a proper community, and decent users/communities/devs are spread too thin across so many coins. most in any coin are simply there hoping to be the earlier adapter and catch the train too fiat profits and quick to move to the next flavor of the day.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:30:19 PM

I agree of course, but you need a use case to drive the adoption of this decentralized block chain, in addition to having the design for it and being able to implement it.

I agree with you as well, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Whatever it is, I sure hope it attracts more people into this space.
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1207

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2016, 02:31:33 PM

~CfA~

Some coins are just created for pump and dump purposes there are only a handful with usability and I'm glad that I have invested on this handful although I promoted this pump and dump and also made profit ,but their life span is really very short..

iamnotback

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 02:58:38 PM

I agree with you as well, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Whatever it is, I sure hope it attracts more people into this space.

My hope is to give many businesses on the Internet a reason to adopt CC for a use case which is not possible with what currently exists, e.g. can't be done with credit card nor Paypal payments. I also hope/expect entirely new business models and businesses to spawn from a fundamental enabling technology.

I want to build businesses on top of it. Developers should create something they want to use. My most successful s/w ventures spawned from a need I had that wasn't met by existing s/w and so I created what I needed. Turned out many other people needed it also. Block chains are more exacting and challenging. There are so many potential attack vectors. This is more challenging than anything I had attempted before by myself. And a big difference is one really needs to build a community. That is new territory for me. We like to learn and challenge ourselves.
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:19:16 PM

~CfA~

agree, but this is getting better. people are starting to accept bitcoin as payment.
i think the main problem isnt the bitcoin itself, it's just because people are skeptical with digital money.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:41:27 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2016, 04:13:17 PM by Spoetnik

I say being realistic about the importance + potential of world wide adoption.
With out that they are just digital pyramid scheme tokens on centralized exchanges.

If it is not used as a currency ?
Then it isn't one  Roll Eyes

Crowd mentality too !
You have no choice but to follow the crowd.
You can try and support a coin that is mined for example..
But if they crowd / majority ignores it and dives on scammy ICO shit like Waves or ETH etc
..then what ?
Your mined coin will die in obscurity and maybe get delisted and go no where.

It's always been that way but the crowd has gotten more scammy selfish greedy & stupid / self-destructive.

EDIT:

I agree with kelsey of course as usual.
And most of you actually Miso made some good points.

I'd say the fake communities is a HUGE problem.
Having a hoard of users who bought Doge coin only to dump it for profit later..
does not make it a community.. that is a facade.
Like the ETH community charade which is purely profit driven.

You all like to just reinvent things to suit your needs.
Such as the users here redefined what FUD means.
When the actual definition is fitting and warranted ALL THE TIME !

What *was* the point ?
Finding some way to tack a "token" onto a block-chain ..for a scheme gimmick / profit ?

Or a currency that will be used as such ?

They want to be early adopters !
And don't forget Butterin admitted he dumped coins on you.. Satoshi did not.

@Shelby
sometimes your perceptions + jumping to conclusions don't add up.
The fact that something is always done a certain ways does not mean it HAS to be done that way.
There was no collective group of devs making Bitcoin on launch day ?
Of course not LOL
No one knew about the damn idea yet ahhahah
Yet you say this is like an engineering problem type thing ?
I think once again i can say your view on coding is limited.
I will tell you again i have gotten together and made big projects from scratch with other users
and some were open sourced on launch too which contradicts what you just said was "FACT"

Shelby you think you are smarter than you are sometimes.
Don't forget your *experience* is just that ..and not all encompassing.

You tend to jump to extreme conclusions based off of bits of info.
With little interest in checking of you have all the info to get the correct answer.
Like polling stats then only using 70% of the info available..
Then demanding stubbornly you have ALL the iron clad concrete answers !

My P2P and cracking experience is far more relevant than traditional coders you always talk about
yet you apparently know nothing about it..
Meaning you are as always missing a huge part of the puzzle with all your comments.
And all your comments are proclamation of some "FACTS"
..when your missing a huge amount of sample data to derive the summation.

I also think your stubborn and will not get off your ass to check what i said
You will simply plow on that you are correct with out investigating.

Shelby it's a big world out there with a lot of coders doing all kinds of things
and i am not sure how you think your the wolds authority on the issue.
..when you know only a small fraction of it.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Bestwishes745

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2016, 03:54:55 PM

The biggest issue with altcoins is that they do not provide any services and other marketplace for their coins when they launch it, so people only buy these coins for trading and whenever the price come to stability, people leave that currency but those altcoins which will have a good marketplace will remain in the wallets of people for longer.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: