Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 07:20:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed  (Read 107034 times)
g3rszpi

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 08:46:56 AM

The3 new changes will be live on December 6th. See

https://steemit.com/steem/@steemitblog/steem-0-16-0-status-update
why are they hardforking?
OBMarketing

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 11:06:09 AM

A filipina has responded and speaks her opinion about (most of?) us:

Quote from: @joanaltres
Bitcointalk is full of foul-mouthed goobers and disgruntled attackers. A few days spent reading posts there was enough for me.

I assume you would not throw out your baby with the bath water? If you don't understand those technical points, then maybe that will indicate to you that perhaps you don't understand the importance of Bitcointalk. I've been banned from Bitcointalk once or twice already, so it is not as if I am in love with the concept of a centralized, top-down controlled forum.

I see you live in Surigao. I've been there many times.

I read you have invested more than $700 in Steem recently. I hope that is a not a large amount of your savings. I hope you understand the risk of speculating on altcoins. Given you resteemed this blog, I presume you are speculating based on advice similar to that. Well I also commented recently that an early collapse is normal for a technology adoption investment curve, but that doesn't mean that every such collapse is indicative of a technology adoption curve. Many others simply die.
[/quote]

No, I don't have that opinion about all of you. My sensitive Christian eyes just got tired of seeing the expletives and hate-filled replies on posts I was viewing. I know a lot of you are very knowledgeable here. I read one of the post links you provided on Steemit and see that some of you guys even predicted the rise of Bitcoin to $700+ shortly before it occurred. That's amazing. Smiley
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 11:35:12 AM

My sensitive Christian eyes just got tired of seeing the expletives and hate-filled replies on posts I was viewing.

We do too. It seems to be par for the course here and anyone who subjects themselves to a lot of stressful and acrimonious discussion gets sucked into it to some extent. Some are better than others in holding their cool head, e.g. @smooth.

Also it is in large part a male thing. (Western at least) Males tend to be more combative, especially online where they don't actually have to fight. Easy to be a prick from the armchair over the virtual Internet. Let them (us) try that in the Philippines, Lol. Might lose their head to a machete attack.

Guys seem to get offended when they think another guy is acting domineering or like a "wise ass".

I swear I don't talk this way in person ("wise ass", etc). It doesn't seem to be required in my actual personal relations in the Philippines (except when I am driving in traffic, lol ... maybe you can't relate given you live in Surigao where there is no traffic, just because beautiful nature and beaches).

I have an excuse which is overworking 16+ hours per day and being very ill with a liver+digestive chronic health debacle. So my mental state is quite often one of never ending struggle and exasperation.
OBMarketing

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 12:37:35 PM

You're thinking of Siargao, which does indeed have beautiful beaches and no traffic to worry about. It's off the mainland of Surigao Del Norte, where I'm located. Surigao City has some crazy traffic. I've had a couple of near collisions with multi-cab drivers and tricycles.

I've read some of your posts. So are you in the Philippines now or back home and planning to go to Singapore? It appears you have a terrible condition causing you a lot of pain and grief. I hope you can get some help. Quality of life really sucks when you're ill, but you seem strong and resolved to endure and press on. That's inspiring really. Smiley

I noted how your assessment of Steem mining was correct, because the mining became dominated by only a few, apparently, and now the hard fork is supposed to address that issue with Equihash, if I have that right. What are your thoughts about that?

But I'm just at a beginner learning stage...

Do you think introducing a commerce element to the Steemit site would help, or do you believe Steem is pretty much a lost cause? When I brought this up (but only in comment), replies were that "there is already Peerhub", but I was talking about having a commerce store inside Steemit, or at least tag/categories that would allow members to post "for sale" items or services.

dbstmddhks

Activity: 523
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 12:47:28 PM

The money is going out from steemit.

and this money is from investors of steemit.

It's massive disaster..

Not sustainable in short term..

From wan
iamnotback

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 01:10:21 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2016, 10:45:19 PM by iamnotback

You're thinking of Siargao, which does indeed have beautiful beaches and no traffic to worry about. It's off the mainland of Surigao Del Norte, where I'm located. Surigao City has some crazy traffic. I've had a couple of near collisions with multi-cab drivers and tricycles.

I've never been to Siargao and various islands off the mainland of Mindanao (other than Samal island and Talikud island near Davao). I have been to Surigao City and other towns in Surigao Del Norte and Sur (Barobo, etc) and Agusuan and pretty much all over Mindanao and the Philippines.

First time I was in Surigao in 2001, there was absolutely no traffic. Last time I was there in 2011, there was light traffic. Is it as bad as Davao City now? Davao City traffic has also gotten much worse in the past 5 years.

I've read some of your posts. So are you in the Philippines now or back home and planning to go to Singapore? It appears you have a terrible condition causing you a lot of pain and grief. I hope you can get some help. Quality of life really sucks when you're ill, but you seem strong and resolved to endure and press on. That's inspiring really. Smiley

Still in Davao. Headed to Singapore Jan. 12. Yeah I really fight for it. Actually I am doing quite well the past few days but I don't want to count it as a cure, because it seems to always relapse every time I start thinking I am improving. One thing that seemed to help me a lot has been eating tuna belly with pechay in soup. It has the highest Omega 3 of any fish, double that of Salmon. The rest of the tuna is fairly low in Omega 3. That combined with Gardenia whole wheat bread sandwiches with lots of raw lettuce, tomato, white onion and beef or boiled eggs. I thought white rice was better for me, but perhaps the white rice has been one of the causes of my health problems! I am doing much better with this certain brand of bread than I was with the oatmeal and rice (and I think it is the lettuce and tomato and onion combined with it). I think I can't eat like a filipino, it makes me ill.

And no mayo. And absolutely no cooking oils! The cooking oils may have been what caused me to get so ill. Filipinos use cooking oil for every thing. They practically drink it in all their dishes. So I use a stainless steel pot now with low heat for cooking. I cover with a glass top and simmer and turn off the heat and let it cook in the residual heat and somewhat medium rare.

Headed to a Research hospital in Singapore. Remember in the news a few months ago they had to send a little girl with some rare form of Leukemia to be diagnosed and treated in Singapore, because the medical knowledge and facilities were insufficient in the Philippines.

I noted how your assessment of Steem mining was correct, because the mining became dominated by only a few, apparently, and now the hard fork is supposed to address that issue with Equihash, if I have that right. What are your thoughts about that?

But I'm just at a beginner learning stage...

Do you think introducing a commerce element to the Steemit site would help, or do you believe Steem is pretty much a lost cause? When I brought this up (but only in comment), replies were that "there is already Peerhub", but I was talking about having a commerce store inside Steemit, or at least tag/categories that would allow members to post "for sale" items or services.

I think the basic concepts of Steem are correct:

1. Content on blockchain, competing UIs and apps use same blockchain.
2. Not PoW, some form of DPoS or something better.
3. Onboarding users by minting coins to reward them.
4. Building all kinds of apps and social networking content activities for users.

However, I think Steem has many of the details of that incorrect. And I also think DPoS is inherently centralizing control:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg16964225#msg16964225

I can't say much more than that right now, without giving up my ideas which I want to reserve for my own project which I am trying to accelerate.

Others are also racing to produce something either for the Steem blockchain or for a new blockchain. I am not sure for example what @smooth and @complexring are doing with busy.org

So I can't tell you everything I think , because I suspect those others are already copying me and perhaps (but I have no hard proof yet) "stealing" some of my ideas that I had told them in confidence in private. Or maybe those are just their own original ideas. Any way, I don't care about any of that. It is a competition and I accept it. Let's compete! Damn it!

So from now on, my ideas stay close to my chest until ready for release. Sorry. I want open sourced asap.

In summary, I can't know what all the developments that might be coming for Steem(it) and what the outcome will be. And it appears some whales might even break off and create their own blockchains? busy.org? So I can't say if Steem will end up recovering and break a great result or not.

But I am leaning very much to Steem does not have the network effects to prevent others from splintering off from it and creating many competing forks. I think this may be what @smooth and busy.org are planning to do.

During chaos, it requires a strong dominating project to kill off all the weaker ones in order to get everyone to unify around network effects for one blockchain and ecosystem.

I think there is a war of the Steem clones ahead... almost sure of that ...

In that case, I'll have a few secret advantages. One being a better blockchain design than DPoS. But that is in theory, not in implementation. DPoS is already implemented and live.

So it is complicated to analyze what might transpire. Going to be interesting...
OBMarketing

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 02:16:00 PM

I only now took a look at Busy.org. Seems like they are planning a better version of Steemit with commerce.

Smooth seems like a solid, good guy to me. He's my favorite among the whales. It would be disappointing if he were in fact stealing your ideas. I really hope that's not the case.

Yes, traffic is much worse here since 2011. Probably not as bad as Davao, but bad enough. There are still some days, though, going to town when there isn't much traffic.

We even have a McDonald's now. Lol. Chow King and Mandarin moved in as well. A new shopping mall. You should come back sometime and check it out. Smiley

But Davao has all of that and a lot more, of course.

Yes, that's right about cooking oils. Used for everything. It's good you were able to find out what helps you feel better and what doesn't.

Love Gardenia bread! My mother says it tastes like cardboard, but that's because, as I'm sure you know, Filipinos eat bread (among other things) that is very sweet.

I had to back off of the sweet foods some. My mother is diabetic and so was my grandmother, so I'm high risk.

I'll be praying for you daily, that God touches you in a special way and that you have a full recovery.
iamnotback

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 07:15:11 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2016, 08:38:18 PM by iamnotback

Smooth seems like a solid, good guy to me. He's my favorite among the whales. It would be disappointing if he were in fact stealing your ideas. I really hope that's not the case.

I agree. I have very high respect for @smooth and he has helped me. I don't think he needs to launch an exact copy of what Jambox was supposed to be (an idea I've had since 2015) as the first market they want to go after. But if that is the case, then we can compete, no problem.

I would just be very disappointed if the inferior DPoS wins and my superior blockchain design loses, and if my specific ideas about which markets to address for onboarding (which I shared with smooth in 2015 well before Steem) ended up being used. It could be that is just the natural choice for them and it may not be based on any ideas I shared (some aspects of which were shared publicly any way, but some private). In general, I think I focused @smooth on looking for a "steem" back in 2015. He became more attuned to the need to find a mass-market onboarding centered around social networking after our discussions in 2015 and it worked out well for him since he was on the lookout and mined Steem in the stealth mine phase.

I think it is all good and hopefully we all end up being on an open source ecosystem where we all gain and not just some whales.

Somehow I think it will all work out for the best. I am a fierce competitor (especially if I am not ill).

Of course I will also be disappointed if I don't get wealthy off the 3+ years of effort I have put into this nonstop, every day. With all my prior usernames, I have 1/1000th of all posts on Bitcointalk.org!

I want to get wealthy in an ecosystem that is making all of us wealthy and which all developers can make profitable ecosystem projects, not just donation model communism.

I don't want to own it all, nor be some overlord over the ecosystem. I want to create an ecosystem that outruns me and becomes greater than I can keep up with.

Afaik, you are one of the handful (or less) females who has ever posted on Bitcointalk.org. So that makes you special. And for to you post in Altcoin Discussion, I think that probably makes you the first. And being a filipina, that makes you for sure the first on Altcoin Discussion.

Yeah cut out the sugar and cooking oil entirely and you'll be so much more healthy. My gf was having a lot of problems already with her health at the young age of 26.7 (excruciatingly painful ulcers). But since she changed to this rule on my urging, she now has too much body power, lol. Fortunately (for me) she is studying now in college, so that keeps her busy and an outlet for her renewed vigor.

(it has been very difficult for her to resist the urge for foods fried in cooking oil, but we've been buying a lot of fatty pork which we can fry without oil and takes great. We marinate it in some Teriyaki sauce and black pepper)

Note I don't go overboard on the pork, although I love the taste. The best for me is a balance of boiled eggs, lightly pan grilled beef (no oil), and lightly boiled tuna belly (everything cooked as minimally as possible). And lots of raw lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cooked pechay (dark greens). I eat some squash also sometimes. Also I am fasting 12 - 16 hours daily. So this means I eat all I want for 8 hours, then I don't eat for the other hours. So I don't eat while sleeping and then only eat a carrot during my morning and lunch time, delaying my meals until evening. This is named the Warrior Diet and is more attuned to the way men were eating in the wild before when we used to hunt all day and eat a feast at night. I am most alert and productive during the time I am fasting. After I eat a meal, I get brain fog and neurological pain and itchiness because of the liver+digestive dysfunction. But the Warrior Diet is also good for healthy people.

We even have a McDonald's now. Lol. Chow King and Mandarin moved in as well. A new shopping mall. You should come back sometime and check it out. Smiley

I hope I get healthy and restore my finances, because I love roaming.

For now, head in the sand in the programming cave...

We have a proverb in the West, "Don't carry all your eggs in one basket."

Edit: I think the filipino diet was healthy when the filipinos were very physically active in the farm all day. But now they've become sedentary in the modern age, I think that diet has to change. God bless also and thank you for the kind words and thoughts.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 08:15:56 PM

Guys, I had and have literally nothing to do with the design or implementation of busy.org. I donated some money to them to finish development because they had what looked like a solid team and good progress but not really enough funding to keep going. I've also give them some advice but primarily on organization and funding. Most if not all of the concepts and vision for busy were in place and even partially implemented before I got involved with it at all.

So i don't know what this comment about stealing ideas is about (I didn't read all the past messages) but certainly nothing like that happened with busy. Though I will say if these 'ideas' involved posts on bitcointalk that is certainly going to be fair game in practice; anyone can find those with a web search.
iamnotback

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 08:25:28 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2016, 08:43:26 PM by iamnotback

Guys, I had and have literally nothing to do with the design or implementation of busy.org. I donated some money to them to finish development because they had what looked like a solid team and good progress but not really enough funding to keep going. I've also give them some advice but primarily on organization and funding. Most if not all of the concepts and vision for busy were in place and even partially implemented before I got involved with it at all.

So i don't know what this comment about stealing ideas is about (I didn't read all the past messages) but certainly nothing like that happened with busy. Though I will say if these 'ideas' involved posts on bitcointalk that is certainly going to be fair game in practice; anyone can find those with a web search.

Thank you @smooth for the clarification. It was only speculation on my part and you have addressed it. My apology for being too paranoid.

I am all for many competing experiments, so best of luck to them.

Can you confirm whether their project is for the Steem blockchain or whether they are considering splintering off and making their own fork of Graphene? Or is that not to be public information for the time being?

Perhaps the drop from 104 to 13 weeks cashout has the potential of concentrating the money supply more (whales who stay can accumulate dumped tokens) and also splintering the ecosystem as some whales can cashout to finance other competing blockchain forks. I would think though that everyone must understand how difficult it is to onboard a sufficient critical mass of users, thus splintering is suicidal, unless it offers some key advantage that is drastically improved in terms of onboarding.
chisoban

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 06:40:29 AM

Thank you @smooth for the clarification. It was only speculation on my part and you have addressed it. My apology for being too paranoid.

Can you confirm whether their project is for the Steem blockchain or whether they are considering splintering off and making their own fork of Graphene? Or is that not to be public information for the time being?

Perhaps the drop from 104 to 13 weeks cashout has the potential of concentrating the money supply more (whales who stay can accumulate dumped tokens) and also splintering the ecosystem as some whales can cashout to finance other competing blockchain forks. I would think though that everyone must understand how difficult it is to onboard a sufficient critical mass of users, thus splintering is suicidal, unless it offers some key advantage that is drastically improved in terms of onboarding.
@iamnotback
i can confirm it's on the Steem blockchain. The idea of a fork was considered but i do believe it's more easy (and still possible) to take some power on the Steem blockchain and impose certain enhancement and benefit from an existing community and supports
iamnotback

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 07:45:05 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2016, 07:59:13 AM by iamnotback

@iamnotback
i can confirm it's on the Steem blockchain. The idea of a fork was considered but i do believe it's more easy (and still possible) to take some power on the Steem blockchain and impose certain enhancement and benefit from an existing community and supports

Well it can't hurt to start off building your apps on the Steem since that is where the audience and exposure is for the moment, then you can keep your options open in terms of the future. For example, if I am true to my word and end up offering a blockchain that fixes the following egregious problem of DPoS, perhaps you all might want to consider your options at that future time.

Quote from: @AnonyMint's whitepaper
6.2 Censorship

In the case where the whales do form a monolithic majority voting bloc, they can elect all of the witnesses and thus refuse to add specific transactions to the blockchain. There are numerous profit motives and conflict of interest scenarios that make such censorship plausible. For example, in the case of the Steem blockchain, the owners of Steemit.com Inc., who apparently control a majority of the stake, could elect witnesses which block the transactions that compete with their vested interests, what ever they may be. One could imagine ecosystem applications from third parties experiencing conflicts-of-interest which destroy their business models.

Might makes right and the minority voting power (which could be the majority of the participants depending on whom knows and cares that they are affected) can do nothing about this except perhaps sell their stake.

The argument that the cartel voting bloc would not do this because it would crater the price and adoption is not the only possible scenario. The offenses could be isolated to one smaller target at a time, thus destroying and replacing competitors piecemeal without raising sufficient ruckus to constitute a ecosystem wide mutiny.[backdealings]

References

[backdealings]: smoothie, smooth, r0ach, monsterer, DecentralizeEconomics. Bitshares' DPoS "behind-the-scenes" politics. Bitcointalk.org, “The state of crypto - The only serious thread on the subforum” thread, posts #137–155, Sep 9, 2015.

Please refer to the other flaws I explained about DPoS as a prerequisite to reading the above.
chisoban

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 09:35:32 AM

@iamnotback

Well it can't hurt to start off building your apps on the Steem since that is where the audience and exposure is for the moment, then you can keep your options open in terms of the future. For example, if I am true to my word and end up offering a blockchain that fixes the following egregious problem of DPoS, perhaps you all might want to consider your options at that future time.

Quote from: @AnonyMint's whitepaper
6.2 Censorship

In the case where the whales do form a monolithic majority voting bloc, they can elect all of the witnesses and thus refuse to add specific transactions to the blockchain. There are numerous profit motives and conflict of interest scenarios that make such censorship plausible. For example, in the case of the Steem blockchain, the owners of Steemit.com Inc., who apparently control a majority of the stake, could elect witnesses which block the transactions that compete with their vested interests, what ever they may be. One could imagine ecosystem applications from third parties experiencing conflicts-of-interest which destroy their business models.

Might makes right and the minority voting power (which could be the majority of the participants depending on whom knows and cares that they are affected) can do nothing about this except perhaps sell their stake.

The argument that the cartel voting bloc would not do this because it would crater the price and adoption is not the only possible scenario. The offenses could be isolated to one smaller target at a time, thus destroying and replacing competitors piecemeal without raising sufficient ruckus to constitute a ecosystem wide mutiny.[backdealings]

References

[backdealings]: smoothie, smooth, r0ach, monsterer, DecentralizeEconomics. Bitshares' DPoS "behind-the-scenes" politics. Bitcointalk.org, “The state of crypto - The only serious thread on the subforum” thread, posts #137–155, Sep 9, 2015.

Please refer to the other flaws I explained about DPoS as a prerequisite to reading the above.
agree to a certain extend
I have never believed in Election.
it's fake democracy allowing the richest to buy power. Election always ending corrupted, serving the richest.

but as far as i can tell, graphene is beast techno.. and the consensus..? it's there to evolve Wink I think its a nice experiment overall

thx for ur input mate
TonySon

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 01:52:30 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2016, 02:16:52 PM by TonySon

Steem Update 0.16.0 Infographic Preview, be prepared for the upcoming STEEM Hardfork
https://steemit.com/steemitguide/@steemitguide/steem-update-0-16-0-infographic-preview-be-prepared-for-the-upcoming-steem-hardfork

Steemit's First 'Fest' Reveals the Power of Blockchain Community
http://www.coindesk.com/steemfest-reveals-the-power-of-blockchain-community/

And Ned was on TV, have a look  Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5JXYajba4

CoinDesk On Tap, STEEM Meetup NYC and New Venture
https://steemit.com/steem/@charlieshrem/coindesk-on-tap-steem-meetup-nyc-and-new-venture

if you think that Ned and Dan have complete control over STEEM, then perhaps you should check out: https://steemit.com/steem/@steemitguide/steemitguide-what-is-a-exactly-is-a-steem-witness-and-why-every-user-should-vote
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 02:22:44 PM

So you are going to have both steemit and busy on the same blockchain? How will that work?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
chisoban

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 03:33:12 PM

So you are going to have both steemit and busy on the same blockchain? How will that work?
Steem can have tons of apps build on the same blockchain, sharing or not the same content. You can filter the content you want to show, from any source/apps, or share the same content. Or you can also just ignore the content part and enjoy the use of the blockchain as a backend/database bootstrapping wallets & crypto with 0 transaction fee & 3s block time, for your app.

i think busy and steemit will just share the content at least for the blogging part.
iamnotback

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 06:09:20 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2016, 06:33:44 PM by iamnotback

but as far as i can tell, graphene is beast techno.. and the consensus..? it's there to evolve Wink I think its a nice experiment overall

thx for ur input mate

Are you Australian? If so, we are nearby, I am in the Philippines.

I am working on implementing a solution that I claim will nullify most of the dictatorial power of election (stake) and also doesn't require proof-of-work waste/dictatorship:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg16979534#msg16979534

It also in theory (afaics) has orders-of-magnitude better performance and scaling than DPoS.

I have already the design written in a rough draft of a white paper and am finishing up the final draft in Markdown syntax. The white paper needs more peer review. I will have two people I trust reading it this week. Let's see if they find any flaw.

If I can get closer to a testnet implementation, we can talk about collaboration. I'd rather not interfere with you until I am sure I have something that is realistically going to make it to release.

(Unfortunately I am chronically very ill with liver+digestive health debacle, so I don't know for sure if I can do what I am trying to do. I will be at a research hospital in 2nd week of January to finally get a diagnosis for my condition and I am hoping some treatment or cure for it. Fingers crossed. Until then my productivity and cognitive concentration/energy/clarity is roughly 1/4 of normal and the 3/4 is discombobulated "zombifried" delirium.)
iamnotback

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 06:21:30 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2016, 03:00:14 AM by iamnotback

if you think that Ned and Dan have complete control over STEEM, then perhaps you should check out: https://steemit.com/steem/@steemitguide/steemitguide-what-is-a-exactly-is-a-steem-witness-and-why-every-user-should-vote

Dan has some errors in that video (ironically/coincidentally yesterday I was viewing that video). Sorry he is wrong too often (where it matters significantly). Here is another example of where he is wrong:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg16960504#msg16960504

(Beautiful "baby blue eyes") Dan is a creative, smart, and highly accomplished (in blockchains) person (heck I'd like to collaborate with him on s/w projects if his decisions could be overridden when necessary). But he has these ink blot moments.

Dan had the great insight for TaPoS. And I prompted the necessary correction (tweak) to it in 2013:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=354573.msg3815211#msg3815211

Quoted so it can't be deleted:

This proposal appears to be flawed, unless I am missing something. I have only read the first 4 pages thus far.

1. You propose to decrease the coin rewards as coin-days-destroyed volume increases, so this makes it less costly for an attacker to obtain > 50% of the hash rate assuming the attacker includes all the transactions. You apparently are attempting to imply there is no useful attack to do if the attacker is including the most coin-days-destroyed? Please confirm or deny then I will dig into more analysis of this vector.

2. Also how do you choose between someone who generates a proof-of-work hash with lower coin-days-destroyed several times sooner than the network propagation delay versus another who generates it that much delayed with a higher coin-days-destroyed? If you choose the latter, then you've killed the proof-of-work incentive because it means it will always pay to be later and wait for more transactions to arrive.

3. You claim to defeat my Transactions Withholding Attack, by blacklisting those who send blocks with transactions that were not recently seen by all miners. I retorted against this recently. This centralizes the network (all for one and one for all outcome) by requiring every miner to be responsible for the incoming network connectivity of other miners. And it centralizes the network in other ways, such it can't tolerate a temporary partitioning of the network due to connectivity outages.

P.S. By coin-days-destroyed, I assume you mean coin value x days, otherwise you would motivate proliferation of dust.

After some consideration I have decided to replace proof-of-work all together and use transaction fees to regulate block production.  A new block is produced once enough transaction fees have been accumulated.  The node that generates the transaction with sufficient fees broadcasts it.   Ultimately all that matters is that the network reaches consensus and orphans are no issue.  Nodes in the network can even stop propagating new blocks for a couple of minutes after the previous block.  If transactions are coming to quickly I simply up the transaction fee like you would adjust the difficulty in BTC.  These fees are then destroyed to pay dividends rather than paid to a miner.  

As a result it doesn't matter how much hash power you have because you must *pay* to submit a block and the best-fit block is the one with the most coin-days destroyed so even if you pay to submit a block with no transactions, it will be rejected.

3. Does not centralize the network, it is a local calculation performed by all nodes relative to their peers.

Yes, coin value * days.
iamnotback

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 06:58:52 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2016, 08:26:57 PM by iamnotback

...i can confirm it's on the Steem blockchain. The idea of a fork was considered but i do believe it's more easy (and still possible) to take some power on the Steem blockchain and impose certain enhancement and benefit from an existing community and supports

Steem can have tons of apps build on the same blockchain, sharing or not the same content. You can filter the content you want to show, from any source/apps, or share the same content. Or you can also just ignore the content part and enjoy the use of the blockchain as a backend/database bootstrapping wallets & crypto with 0 transaction fee & 3s block time, for your app.

i think busy and steemit will just share the content at least for the blogging part.

One of the issues perhaps is standardization of data formats. Remember before the W3C we had Netscape doing hokey things with HTML such as <marquee>.

Charles Hoskinson might find this point to be right down his alley with IOHK's work.
chisoban

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 12:45:38 AM

thx for ur input mate

Are you Australian? If so, we are nearby, I am in the Philippines.

I am working on implementing a solution that I claim will nullify most of the dictatorial power of election (stake) and also doesn't require proof-of-work waste/dictatorship:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg16979534#msg16979534

It also in theory (afaics) has orders-of-magnitude better performance and scaling than DPoS.

I have already the design written in a rough draft of a white paper and am finishing up the final draft in Markdown syntax. The white paper needs more peer review. I will have two people I trust reading it this week. Let's see if they find any flaw.

If I can get closer to a testnet implementation, we can talk about collaboration. I'd rather not interfere with you until I am sure I have something that is realistically going to make it to release.

(Unfortunately I am chronically very ill with liver+digestive health debacle, so I don't know for sure if I can do what I am trying to do. I will be at a research hospital in 2nd week of January to finally get a diagnosis for my condition and I am hoping some treatment or cure for it. Fingers crossed. Until then my productivity and cognitive concentration/energy/clarity is roughly 1/4 of normal and the 3/4 is discombobulated "zombifried" delirium.)

Iam mostly somewhere between EU and Asia..

I'll take a look into ur paper, just read ur comment, when u talk about puttin "the control in the hands of those who transact the most" it reminds me NEM with the proof of importance Wink

Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: