Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:14:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone please make a steem clone  (Read 14345 times)
Sontoloyo

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 06:30:00 AM

the problem with clones was that most of the times clones was ready to scam , now days some original coins scaming instantly and you have nothing to wait from a clone , well expect some hype!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DECENT

Activity: 1234
Merit: 528

Decentralized Content Distribution

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2016, 01:04:49 PM

Have you heard about DECENT - decentralized digital content distribution platform?
Check: http://sale.decent.ch/

Or join the Slack channel and discuss the networks abilities with our community!

▄████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████▄
█████████████████
███████████████▀
████████████▀        ▄███▄
█████████▀        ▄███████
 ▀████▀        ▄██████████
              ████████████
               ▀██████████
                  ▀███████
                     ▀███▀
D E C E N T
......███████████▄▄       ▄▄███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄   ▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████████████████████████
███         ▀███▄███▀                 ▄▄██████▄▄       ▄█████▀   ▄▄██████▄▄ 
███          ▀█████▀                 ████▀▀▀▀████     ███▀▀▀    ████▀▀▀▀████
███           ▄███▀                 ███▀      ▀███   ███▀      ███▀      ▀███
███          ▄█████▄                ███        ███   ███       ██████████████
███         ▄███▀███▄               ███▄      ▄███   ███       ███▄██████████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ████▄▄▄▄████    ███        ████▄▄▄▄████
███████████▀▀       ▀▀████████████▄   ▀▀██████▀▀     ███         ▀▀██████▀▀██
Blockchain you can actually build on.
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀     ██████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄▀   ███████
██████▄    ▄▄█▀    ████████
█████████▄██▀      ████████
▀██████████▄▄    ████████▀
▀████████▄█████▄████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
Join our
discussion
dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 02:28:33 PM

How's your work going? Much closer? ETA!? Wink
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 03:37:44 AM

Note your point is very valid as a potential criticism of my plan to remove the quadratic reward (and make it linear). But with the linear reward, then more women can get a few bucks, than a few women gettings $1000s.

This goes to show you don't understand on of the main driver that brings people to Steem.

People struggle to make the ends meet, that's why they buy lottery tickets. Do you think they would buy lottery tickets if lottery was egalitarian and low risk / low reward? People don't put 5 bucks in lottery tickets to earn up to 10 bucks with a decent probability or get half their money back. People buy lottery tickets for the tiny chance of making it so big that they can quit their shit job and give the middle finger to their asshole boss. And if they don't get that, they are fine to lose their money and keep trying painstakingly every week. That's how despaired people are.

The primary driver that brings people to Steem is dream. Millions of people already post content. It costs them nothing to post content. They do it anyway out of boredom and loneliness, because that gives them the feeling of being part of something. So now they can turn this content into lottery tickets, and not only does it pay big when it works, but it also has a significantly higher chance of hitting! And they don't need to wait one week or one month for the draw. The draw happens everyday. Everyday they get that rush of dopamine, and it's damn good, and it's damn addictive. It's like gambling except that there is no risk of ending bankrupt. And when they don't hit big, they still have the consolation prize, they build up a little bit of karma and can dream of a more remote, future day where the little karma they earned will be worth thousand times more like it happened for early bitcoiners.

If you look at things from that perspective, Steem has got it right all across the board.
* Shit posts make thousands of bucks? That's exactly what should be happening, because if it wasn't the case, Joe blogger would not stand a chance of earning anything, and he would know it.
* Payouts are totally unbalanced? Lotto effect, selling dreams.
* Daily payout? that's a lottery draw every single fscking day ... If you posted today => continuous engagement, addiction.
* Whales hold all the power? That's precisely why all the wholesome unbalance is happening. Whales are instrumental in detecting new members that can bring them more users and shower them with cash to buy their loyalty (see @dollarvigilante for ex), and making things look as arbitrary as possible for the rest of their votes so that people think (and rightly so) that even them can make it big one day, and that day may be just around the corner.
* Really cheesy stuff gets paid thousands? That's also great because everyone has cheesy stuff to write. Got big boobs -> can make money. Got cute toddlers or pets -> can make money. Got a cool car? -> can make money. Are a big attention whore? -> can make money. Are a silly selfie taking teen? -> can make money. And what if you've got nothing of the above? Well, see, that gets even better. Are bipolar, autistic, depressed, suicidal? -> Can make money. Are a big drug junkie? -> Can make money. Just got out of jail, or even better still in jail? -> Can make money. Got raped or abused or mugged or whatever? -> Can make money. Got fired from you job? -> Can make money. In fact, the more shit or bizarre things that happened to you, the more likely it is that you gonna make money telling them. The only people who don't make money on Steem are people who have a boring uneventful tepid life with zero feeling of joy or pain or despair or rage, and these aren't the people who need Steem in their life anyway. They'll just follow eventually when everyone else is on Steem.

So the bottom line is that I see Steem is doing just the right thing. You can make a clone, but it won't be quite as successful unless you copy their model. And if you copy their model, then what's the selling point of your clone?

As one of the posters mentioned above (don't remember who), there is a niche for longer term quality content. Steem is focused on short term earnings. Posts receive the bulk of their attention and revenue within 24h, and catch the few late voters within a 30-day window. The Steemit page makes it almost impossible to find content older than 30 days and quite difficult to find content older than 24h unless it was a huge hit. There is no way to keep receiving payouts past 30 days, so Steem is a bad fit for serious professional content writers who normally earn royalties for life on their content. Steem isn't a good fit for professional novelists, artists, researchers etc. A clone that would target the longer term would have no difficulty cornering the market because Steem just doesn't try to be that so there won't be any competition at all. And there is no need of rewriting the code. Steem technology is pretty good. The only thing that is needed is change the incentives to encourage voting for the long term, like buying equity in the post to benefit from future (possibly remote) prospects and change the Steemit web front-end to allow structured access by theme and advanced search instead of the currently "hot / trending" system that caters to a very short term / narrow attention span type of consumption.

I'd be interested helping with developing / launching a clone like that (I'm a very experienced C++ dev). But I'm not interested trying to compete with Steem when it's obvious to me that they are already doing everything that they need to do to reach hyper-growth. Actually, it's been 7 years that cryptocurrencies are trying to escape the gravity pull of geekdom to launch into mainstream. The closer we have ever been was Dogecoin, and it was just a flash in the pan. Steem is the first crypto to make it into Joe space. If you / me / anyone around here really know better, why is it that none of us managed to pull what they just pulled? What are our chances to beat them at a game none of us even realized was possible a few months ago? Why not instead just seize effortlessly the other totally empty niches that Steem tech has just made possible?
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 05:11:10 AM

Where's the fucking upvote button when you need it? Cheesy
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 09:16:38 AM

The primary driver that brings people to Steem is dream. Millions of people already post content. It costs them nothing to post content. They do it anyway out of boredom and loneliness, because that gives them the feeling of being part of something. So now they can turn this content into lottery tickets...

Well, if you breakdown masteryoda's stats 40% of all Steemit posts involve Steemit...
So you have an incestuous echo chamber about "Steemit changing my life/the world".

Subtracting the Steemit spam, the "lotto plan" worked initially...
But users have been flat for a month now at about 3,000 random ultra low value daily posters...
With no sign of a coherent marketing plan to do anything coherent except more of the same.

How is this worth $160 million... maybe tech is worth $50 million if a marketing professional implements an actual plan.
bitcoinci.com

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

bitcoin bitcoinci den alınır . bitcoinci

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 09:40:38 AM

how can i install steemit at my hosting area ? it is opensource , and is there any way to install it in my local language ?
freequant

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 11:51:15 AM

Well, if you breakdown masteryoda's stats 40% of all Steemit posts involve Steemit...
So you have an incestuous echo chamber about "Steemit changing my life/the world".

Well, how about Bitcoin? It's a payment network right? How much of its daily volume is only the same crypto folks buying and selling other cryptos for Bitcoin?
If you substract the crypto trading spam, what is left?
Quite an incestuous echo chamber too...
It's only normal that a technology caters to the interests of its early adopters. In the case of Bitcoin, it's been 7 years and it's still mainly a crypto-geek thing.
Steem is a few months old. The Steem themed content is naturally still getting a lot of attention, but as time passes and users from more diverse horizons join, the relative proportion of Steem themed content will shrink. I really don't see this as a concern at all.

But users have been flat for a month now at about 3,000 random ultra low value daily posters...
Where do you pull these starts from? I'm seeing loads of new users joining everyday. Only this week we got Charles Hoskinson, Trace Meyer, Roger Ver and Charlie Shrem who joined among other well known Bitcoin personalities. If that isn't a sign of Steem spreading and gaining acceptation within the Bitcoin community, I don't know what is. Show me a single other project that isn't a sidechain and that's getting endorsement from so many Bitcoiners so fast.

With no sign of a coherent marketing plan to do anything coherent except more of the same.
Facebook, Twitter and Reddit also did "more of the same", and ended up being huge social networks.
That's unfair but it's like that: social networks benefit from network effects. There is no better marketing than existing users introducing their friends.

How is this worth $160 million... maybe tech is worth $50 million if a marketing professional implements an actual plan.

It's worth what people are ready to pay for it. It doesn't matter if it means $50M or $160M or whatever. Like every crypto, what is fueling the price is speculation about future prospects, not really the current state. Ethereum in its current state is certainly not worth $1B either, it is almost entirely useless, all projects supposed to launch in early 2016 are late and the first high profile application that was launched on it was an epic failure. It's worth $1B because people think it's gonna grow to a $10B+ market cap. Same thing for Steem. If it grows to become a popular social network, it will have a multi-billion dollars market cap. Right now of course it's just a social experiment that could fail completely.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2016, 03:48:10 AM

Well, how about Bitcoin? It's a payment network right? How much of its daily volume is only the same crypto folks buying and selling other cryptos for Bitcoin?
If you substract the crypto trading spam, what is left?
Quite an incestuous echo chamber too...
It's only normal that a technology caters to the interests of its early adopters. In the case of Bitcoin, it's been 7 years and it's still mainly a crypto-geek thing.
Steem is a few months old. The Steem themed content is naturally still getting a lot of attention, but as time passes and users from more diverse horizons join, the relative proportion of Steem themed content will shrink. I really don't see this as a concern at all.

Where do you pull these starts from? I'm seeing loads of new users joining everyday. Only this week we got Charles Hoskinson, Trace Meyer, Roger Ver and Charlie Shrem who joined among other well known Bitcoin personalities. If that isn't a sign of Steem spreading and gaining acceptation within the Bitcoin community, I don't know what is. Show me a single other project that isn't a sidechain and that's getting endorsement from so many Bitcoiners so fast.

Facebook, Twitter and Reddit also did "more of the same", and ended up being huge social networks.
That's unfair but it's like that: social networks benefit from network effects. There is no better marketing than existing users introducing their friends.

It's worth what people are ready to pay for it. It doesn't matter if it means $50M or $160M or whatever. Like every crypto, what is fueling the price is speculation about future prospects, not really the current state. Ethereum in its current state is certainly not worth $1B either, it is almost entirely useless, all projects supposed to launch in early 2016 are late and the first high profile application that was launched on it was an epic failure. It's worth $1B because people think it's gonna grow to a $10B+ market cap. Same thing for Steem. If it grows to become a popular social network, it will have a multi-billion dollars market cap. Right now of course it's just a social experiment that could fail completely.

Bumping.

I make mainly pennies for every post (sometimes better), but seeing the followers gather slow and steady, and that they don't shy away from the tougher topics, that's what keeps me posting every day. Progress is progress, even if it starts from humble beginnings.

goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 04:13:27 AM

Steem just opened up a successful front that entices people to open up their first CC account, and you're like, "Hey, that's working! Let's try to minimize its effectiveness with another project, but this time will make it extra decentralized so varying factions can quibble on the most effective means to spend their marketing budget (or not spend any of it with chants of "HODL!").

It took me awhile to see why steem's distribution makes sense (or more sense), but when I did  Shocked

could you explain to us? because i dont see it... right now a few whales control the platform and generally they only upvote sh*t post(i'm not saying one o mine should be upvoted, i'm saying i've saw good writers there getting 50+ upvotes but only a few bucks for that, and other posts, with less than 10 upvotes being paid 1000USD+)

one vote from ned and you get 1500+ SBD. that doesnt make sense to me.

It's not about good writing (most people rarely even understand great writing, so intimidating noobs away is hardly a good idea--see Nietzsche). What you want is fun posts that invite people in and get them thinking, "I can do that?" You also want post that further implant the meme of cryptocurrencies into the social consciousness (see gateway drugs), and you want established players in content creation to prove that the platform works. And finally, you want to represent different clicks of ethnic, social, and cultural backgrounds.  

*a few BOOBS don't hurt either.

As far as the whale factor--you're going to see lag. What's important is that the big markets get addressed, not that quality content is rewarded, that will be addressed by sub-communities who will be better arbiters of what is good for the community and what is quality--see poetry section (a poem that used a double "that" final end-rhyme got the highest payout of $2,700, a reputable poetry forum wouldn't let that happen--but that takes time.). If you look at the financial and cryptocurrency sections, you'll see that the quality, for the most part, is superior than the other sections, mostly because we have a community already established in cc and hundreds of articles waiting to be discovered by people outside our community.

Thank you for a good explanation. The sad part here is those who share their mind blowing posts and originals might get copied also. That will be stressful for the user less payed and someone stole your idea. Ergh
JasonXG

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 01:08:49 PM

The more places where you can make money the better. Especially of it works like steem since steem has done so well I'm sure most if not all of is welcome more with open arms. The more going on with crypto the better for us all. So I really hope there is another steem type website on the horizon. Smiley
themasknetwork

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

MaskNetwork lead developer

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2016, 01:22:05 PM

It's already here. It's called masknetwork. We have launched the main net 2 days ago. Check www.maskbuzz.com

MASKNETWORK.
    Decentralized social trading network that rewards users  |   JOIN ICO
    Assets | Binary Options | Leveraged Markets - Trade and get paid !!!
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1049

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2016, 02:28:06 PM

It's already here. It's called masknetwork. We have launched the main net 2 days ago. Check www.maskbuzz.com

There's also what they call newbium coins which they do have a system much like steem where users also earn just when they post respoces and topics in their site. Not sure if its going to be valuable later but they claimed they were the first to have such idea.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
subzero01

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2016, 02:38:06 PM

Just buy synereo (amp).

Alpha release is in a week -> social network platform. Price is 0.15 usd now, will go to 1 - 3 usd soon.

They will also do a funding round on bnktothefuture.com (big pocket investors) and coins who were funded there when to the moon (lookup price graph of Factom and Storjcoin).

Also the devs of synereo work closely together with vitalik and vlad from ethereum on casper.

This is the next gold coin in 3 weeks. I'm buying all I can!
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 02:33:45 PM

How's your work going? Much closer? ETA!? Wink

FYI, anyone want some verification of the health ailment (and blinded in one) that inhibits me, also to know me a bit as person in video:

https://steemit.com/travel/@anonymint/welcome-to-the-philippines
Labumi

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 02:37:14 PM

There's also what they call newbium coins which they do have a system much like steem where users also earn just when they post respoces and topics in their site. Not sure if its going to be valuable later but they claimed they were the first to have such idea.

Out of nowhere the idea appears. But certainly we could be helped by appeared several atlcoin or also to the emergence of bitcoin late in us. because I feel the changes are quite amazing after using bitcoin and I will be making changes to my life being someone who was instrumental to the growth of the bitcoin. Perhaps the beginning of the year I will make Online store based Bitcoin
iamnotback

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 02:58:17 PM

I make mainly pennies for every post (sometimes better), but seeing the followers gather slow and steady, and that they don't shy away from the tougher topics, that's what keeps me posting every day. Progress is progress, even if it starts from humble beginnings.

I believe you'll do much better financially and in terms of followers aggregation in your strategy with the design I have under development, if I can ever get it to fruition.

My design is more attuned to that long-term investment strategy.

As far as the whale factor--you're going to see lag. What's important is that the big markets get addressed, not that quality content is rewarded, that will be addressed by sub-communities who will be better arbiters of what is good for the community and what is quality--see poetry section (a poem that used a double "that" final end-rhyme got the highest payout of $2,700, a reputable poetry forum wouldn't let that happen--but that takes time.). If you look at the financial and cryptocurrency sections, you'll see that the quality, for the most part, is superior than the other sections, mostly because we have a community already established in cc and hundreds of articles waiting to be discovered by people outside our community.

Afaics, Steem(it) is failing at precisely that.
Joint Force

Activity: 804

DAO ↔ DApp

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 10:22:12 PM

I hate clones, so I never thought I'd say this: Please make a Steem clone

Despite it's obvious flaws, Steem has shown us how we can get Joe and Jane into crypto. Steem will fail of course for reasons discussed in other threads, but a clone that fixes the issues could become a huge success. I would certainly throw a few btc at it if it had a dev with good reputation.

If you look at my AppCoin then you will see that it actually has many of the same features as steemit plus a bunch more. I plan to make it more social. Instead of cloning steemit you should look at getting into AppCoins in general. Synereo is another AppCoin that looks promising.

boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 11:10:34 PM

If you guys are looking for a competitor to STEEM you should take a look at NEWBIUM. It's crypto content focused, but similar ideas of paying content providers with tokens based on attention, votes, etc
iamnotback

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 12:15:37 AM

If you guys are looking for a competitor to STEEM you should take a look at NEWBIUM. It's crypto content focused, but similar ideas of paying content providers with tokens based on attention, votes, etc

Did you read my critical analysis upthread?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: