Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:10:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Propster Tip Jar System  (Read 11558 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2012, 11:21:40 PM

Request: A bookmarklet. This is a button I would add to my browser that when clicked creates a tipjar or bounty for the current site. http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2010/05/23/make-your-own-bookmarklets-with-jquery/

For example here is reddit bookmarklets http://www.reddit.com/bookmarklets/

This creates the functionality of propster or booster.io inside the browser.

I would keep the money from any tips in a low interest account for them untill the time comes for them to claim it so there is even more tip there for them when they eventually do claim it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 07:18:33 PM

Bitcoin.me -- I posted your idea is a ticket on propster.uservoice.com (the Feedback window that you see on the Propster website)

I will do such a bookmarklet for you.

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 07:39:05 PM

I've been thinking for some time on how to avoid / fix the monthly cycle.
Today, if I give props to someone, they get money at the end of the month, but only once, right?
I like the idea of giving a prepetual channel of money to someone, and have it by rating (maybe you need 5 levels though ... a lot of ranking systems use 5 levels / stars).
I also wouldn't call it vouchers, perhaps just change the way props work and call this new mechanism "props".
Each prop entitles its owner to a monthly donation.

Ok, I have been thinking more about the terminology on how to present it, and I came up with two concepts: "tokens" and "subscriptions".  With tokens, you go on different sites and leave your tokens there, on all the stuff that you like. Then the money you fund is delivered to the places where your tokens are found. This is fairly simple to explain. Then tokens also can expire when $5 were delivered on the location.

Alternatively, "subscription" is interesting as well. This is actually a whole new concept of "voluntary subscriptions". Many sites have subscription based business, others are free. This will allow people who value the free site, instead of giving a "donation" (a word I don't like because it makes the recipient look miserable), or "props" which has a 1-time feel to it, to volutarily subscribe to a website at the amount that they feel comportable with.  The whole thing could be called "Propster Subscriptions", or "Propster Voluntary Subscriptions".

Also, the websites that will have a lot of voluntary subscriptions can decide to build their own subscription interface and move over those dedicated Propster subscribers. And in this case, Propster can provide a pluggable subscription platform like UserVoice does for feedback. 

This kind of subscription thing turns the whole donation concept upside down.

What do you think ?

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2012, 05:36:38 AM

I need to think about it some more ... I think tokens are preferable, subscription doesn't sound right ... but both actually sound somewhat less than perfect. I'm sure there is another term that beats both of these, I just haven't thought about it yet. Try posting a thread of reddit and ask people to come up with creative names.

BTW, I tried to claim the tip jar for BTCtoX, and got an error. This is the second time I've seen such an error when claiming a tip jar.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 01:08:34 AM

BTW, I tried to claim the tip jar for BTCtoX, and got an error. This is the second time I've seen such an error when claiming a tip jar.

I found one problem. Try it again, please.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 06:27:19 AM

I found one problem. Try it again, please.

Claimed it .. now waiting for confirmation.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 04:00:37 PM

Claimed it .. now waiting for confirmation.

Done, it is yours now.

I have implemented a cool feature, a Twitter setting for users.   Now, when PropsterBot announces a prop activity, your twitter username will be mentioned. Ex:

The twitter setting is located in the new "Preferences" screen, along with Contact Email, and all the checkboxes.

Also, added a little wiki syntax, you can now put images into comments and description just like you do on this forum.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 07:15:33 PM

I can't connect to propster. Not sure what the problem is exactly.

This SSL error might or might not be related:

>wget propster.me
SYSTEM_WGETRC = c:/progra~1/wget/etc/wgetrc
syswgetrc = C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32/etc/wgetrc
--2012-07-04 22:14:13--  http://propster.me/
Resolving propster.me... 173.242.119.177
Connecting to propster.me|173.242.119.177|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
--2012-07-04 22:14:13--  https://propster.me/
Connecting to propster.me|173.242.119.177|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify propster.me's certificate, issued by `/C=IL/O=StartCom Ltd./OU=Secure Digital C
ertificate Signing/CN=StartCom Class 1 Primary Intermediate Server CA':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
ERROR: certificate common name `www.booster.io' doesn't match requested host name `propster.me'.
To connect to propster.me insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
Unable to establish SSL connection.

>

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 03:13:55 AM

On the day you tried, July 4, to load the Propster site, the server was indeed down. Now it is back up.

Btw, using wget won't work since propster relies on a modern browser to send correct SNI (Server-Name Indication) header, in order to identify the correct virtual host.  In your output it shows that wget doesn't send SNI header, therefore, the server loads the booster.io certificate.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 06:19:17 AM

A couple of questions and suggestions.

1.) When I was going to give a prop, I was assuming I would enter the amount to give.  Only after clicking the Give Prop button did I see that this goes Flattr-style where all the props are dropped into the monthly bucket and then divided equally on my next billing cycle. If

that were explained at the top of the response page after I click "Give Props", then I as a new user would understand the action that just happened.

2.) Adjustments to "Needs Funds" props.  As I am impatient and didn't want to wait until the end of the month, I clicked "Divide the pie now".  I ended up with some showing "Needs Funds" because I had a higher pie allocation than I had a balance.

I'm left with Props with the status "Needs Funds".  I might have wanted to reduce my monthly pie amount rather than end up with unpaid props.  As now, when I do add more funds they go to pay the props that had been at "needs funds" rather than all props equally like I was thinking it would.

3.) No Unprop for "In Progress" nor "Needs Funds". Are these props permanent now?   What if I changed my mind, or Propped the wrong entry before the billing cycle executes?  Can't I unprop?

4.) No explicit amount.
I'm wasn't a fan of Flattr because I didn't really want to Flattr evenly.  I get Flattr's logic -- they determined that the subscription model was all that would work for them.  Well, that's what might work for them but the subscription model sure didn't work for me and I quit using them after just one month.

So instead of me sporadically giving some blogger $2 after or whatever after a great read -- say once every other month or so, I now instead Flattr exactly $0.00, exactly zero times -- but I do this each and every month now!

So do the math. ... $0 per month from people like me when the approach is to force a subscription, or $1 per month average if you let the individual choose how much and when to Flattr.

Ok, .. so, what I'm asking is ... must you follow the same approach as Flattr, or can you at least give me the option to do a one-time prop where I set the amount and then click "Prop Once" or something like that?

I know I can send using the anonymous Prop bitcoin transaction, but hey -- maybe I feel good about myself when seeing my name appear, or whatever, and would like this one-time prop to appear just like all my other props are shown.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:54:13 AM

Is there a way to view, on site, what tip jars were actually claimed? (Individually + aggregate)
There should be.

In the meantime, could such a report be manually produced?

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:52:08 PM

Is there a way to view, on site, what tip jars were actually claimed? (Individually + aggregate)
There should be.

Bump. Publishing such a report is vital, otherwise Propster is just a black hole for Bitcoins.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 02:16:48 AM

Hi,

These are all good points and I will implement your requests.

Please note that I'm travelling until end of July, and my head is in the lala-land Smiley  Not much work has been done this month.  My trip finishes on August 1st, so I will be able to dig in then.

Boris

There should be.

Bump. Publishing such a report is vital, otherwise Propster is just a black hole for Bitcoins.

A couple of questions and suggestions.

1.) When I was going to give a prop, I was assuming I would enter the amount to give.  Only after clicking the Give Prop button did I see that this goes Flattr-style where all the props are dropped into the monthly bucket and then divided equally on my next billing cycle. If

that were explained at the top of the response page after I click "Give Props", then I as a new user would understand the action that just happened.

2.) Adjustments to "Needs Funds" props.  As I am impatient and didn't want to wait until the end of the month, I clicked "Divide the pie now".  I ended up with some showing "Needs Funds" because I had a higher pie allocation than I had a balance.

I'm left with Props with the status "Needs Funds".  I might have wanted to reduce my monthly pie amount rather than end up with unpaid props.  As now, when I do add more funds they go to pay the props that had been at "needs funds" rather than all props equally like I was thinking it would.

3.) No Unprop for "In Progress" nor "Needs Funds". Are these props permanent now?   What if I changed my mind, or Propped the wrong entry before the billing cycle executes?  Can't I unprop?

4.) No explicit amount.
I'm wasn't a fan of Flattr because I didn't really want to Flattr evenly.  I get Flattr's logic -- they determined that the subscription model was all that would work for them.  Well, that's what might work for them but the subscription model sure didn't work for me and I quit using them after just one month.

So instead of me sporadically giving some blogger $2 after or whatever after a great read -- say once every other month or so, I now instead Flattr exactly $0.00, exactly zero times -- but I do this each and every month now!

So do the math. ... $0 per month from people like me when the approach is to force a subscription, or $1 per month average if you let the individual choose how much and when to Flattr.

Ok, .. so, what I'm asking is ... must you follow the same approach as Flattr, or can you at least give me the option to do a one-time prop where I set the amount and then click "Prop Once" or something like that?

I know I can send using the anonymous Prop bitcoin transaction, but hey -- maybe I feel good about myself when seeing my name appear, or whatever, and would like this one-time prop to appear just like all my other props are shown.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 04:33:38 PM

I just found out that the FAQ in Booster.io is different than Propster.me, and includes a 5% fee on bounties!

Bounties that collect less than $10 are FREE. Bounties that collect more have 5% fee.

This was a big surprise for me, I assumed the terms are identical.
If this stays, I will not refer any people to use Booster.io.

I would like to receive a refund on the two bounties I opened on Booster.io.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 08:21:33 PM

I just found out that the FAQ in Booster.io is different than Propster.me, and includes a 5% fee on bounties!

Bounties that collect less than $10 are FREE. Bounties that collect more have 5% fee.

maaku expressed a desire to get a refund on the 2.5 BTC he deposited into this jar. I will be managing this bounty myself. Can you please refund maaku's Bitcoins as well, in addition to my own donations in Booster.io?

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:58:02 PM

Hi Ripper,

maaku expressed a desire to get a refund on the 2.5 BTC he deposited into this jar. I will be managing this bounty myself. Can you please refund maaku's Bitcoins as well, in addition to my own donations in Booster.io?

I will return your money today.

If I increase the no fee amount from $10 to $100, would it make a difference to your decision ?

Boris

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 08:14:45 PM

Hi Ripper,

I will return your money today.

If I increase the no fee amount from $10 to $100, would it make a difference to your decision ?

Boris

No, it will not, sorry.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 11:48:31 PM

Oh, and will you return maaku's funds as well?

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:35:07 AM

Hi Ripper,

I have assigned both bounty jars to you. You can withdraw funds from there and send it to any bitcoin address. You can send money to maaku yourself. Is that ok with you?

Once you login, go to Transfer Tools, then Withdraw. In the drop down select the From account, and at the bottom of the screen, click on the show bitcoin transfer form button.

Let me know if you have problems with that, and I will assist further.

--

I am open to negotiation on the Booster pricing model, however, I will not make it a free service.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 06:51:12 AM

Hi Ripper,

I have assigned both bounty jars to you. You can withdraw funds from there and send it to any bitcoin address. You can send money to maaku yourself. Is that ok with you?

Once you login, go to Transfer Tools, then Withdraw. In the drop down select the From account, and at the bottom of the screen, click on the show bitcoin transfer form button.

Let me know if you have problems with that, and I will assist further.

--

I am open to negotiation on the Booster pricing model, however, I will not make it a free service.

There are two relevant bounties. I don't understand how to withdraw funds from them:

- https://booster.io/tipjar/0cataqj - Ultimate Blockchain Pruning
 - https://booster.io/tipjar/0c9zmrc -  A Distributed Database Based On Blockchain Technology

I see a Claim button on both of them.

Don't get me wrong, I think this kind of service is important.

I think that a 1% fee, capped by some amount, is more decent.
Perhaps you should create a poll about this.

Also, I would like to see some reports on how Propster is doing. Were bounties awarded? I know of at least one bounty that passed the target.

As long as you don't publish the efforts and advancements you've made in distributing the funds ... you're (perceived as) just another pirate.

All the best.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: