Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:22:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Propster Tip Jar System  (Read 11558 times)
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 05:19:35 AM

Hello Ripper,

You are right, the login was confusing -- I removed the second option, and just left the 3rd party login.

I tested it now with a brand new openid with 3rd party login, and it worked for me.  Which provider are you using ?  I use http://www.myopenid.com for testing. The first time you try to sign-in, it will tell you that it is about to create an account for you. Afterwards, it doesn't ask you that anymore, and you should end up straight in the dashboard.

Also, I added UserVoice feedback (thanks for the tip). It is at the bottom right corner, in all the pages, except the splash page.  You can use it to leave feedback, if you want.

I used Google login. It just prompts me to create an account each time.

I submitted a few items to UserVoice.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 10:21:49 PM

Ripper: I added two twitter streams @PropsterTeam and @PropsterBot as you suggested, and changed domain name to propster.me.

https://propster.me/content/news.html

More stuff coming.

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 06:21:13 AM

Ripper: I added two twitter streams @PropsterTeam and @PropsterBot as you suggested, and changed domain name to propster.me.

https://propster.me/content/news.html

More stuff coming.

Awesome

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 05:05:25 PM

You should be good now. If not, I enabled a lot of logging, and I will be able to see what's the problem.

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 10:07:58 PM

You should be good now. If not, I enabled a lot of logging, and I will be able to see what's the problem.

Resolved, thanks for fixing.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 07:41:07 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2012, 04:16:52 PM by frisco2

Now you can embed a tip jar on your website, and you will have a popup like this one.  Check out the API at: https://propster.me/content/api.html

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 08:27:02 AM

Now you can embed a tip jar on your website, and you will have a popup like this one.  Check out the API at: https://propster.me/content/api.html

Nice!

Perhaps you should change the name of the thread, btw, to include Propster / Propster.me ?

BTW, props I've given last month weren't converted to Bitcoin for some reason (I sent you a tweet about it a couple of days ago).

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 04:27:35 PM

BTW, props I've given last month weren't converted to Bitcoin for some reason (I sent you a tweet about it a couple of days ago).

You should change your Currency setting from "USD" to Bitcoin, in your dashboard. Since you only have Bitcoin in the account, and not USD, none of your tips went out.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 04:32:46 PM

You should change your Currency setting from "USD" to Bitcoin, in your dashboard. Since you only have Bitcoin in the account, and not USD, none of your tips went out.

This experience can be improved.
Suppose I really want to give out the Bitcoin-equivalent of $1 every month. I don't want to chase exchange rates and tweak the setting every month.

Can't you just calculate what's the BTC equivalent of $1, and use this money from my account every month?

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:09:58 PM

Suppose I really want to give out the Bitcoin-equivalent of $1 every month. I don't want to chase exchange rates and tweak the setting every month.

Can't you just calculate what's the BTC equivalent of $1, and use this money from my account every month?

I was thinking of something simpler:  if you have only BTC in your account, but selected USD in monthly setting, I will automatically switch it to BTC. And vice versa.

The way you suggest is also possible, but I am afraid that this is going to complicate the work of the admin too much, and I am not sure how many people would find this auto-conversion feature valuable. As I see it, there are only two options. 

- User didn't choose a correct monthly currency by mistake
- Or, he is very particular about his monthly currency, and wants people to receive it. (He wants people to receive bitcoin)

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 05:37:54 PM

I was thinking of something simpler:  if you have only BTC in your account, but selected USD in monthly setting, I will automatically switch it to BTC. And vice versa.

The way you suggest is also possible, but I am afraid that this is going to complicate the work of the admin too much, and I am not sure how many people would find this auto-conversion feature valuable. As I see it, there are only two options. 

- User didn't choose a correct monthly currency by mistake
- Or, he is very particular about his monthly currency, and wants people to receive it. (He wants people to receive bitcoin)

Third option:
 - User is used to thinking in USD, and the amount of monthly donation he wants to make is best expressed in USD, even though the money supply he has on Propster is in BTC.

Automatic switching doesn't sound like a good idea.

Why would my suggestion complicated the admin? This can all be done automatically (find the rate via Mt. Gox API).

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:42:53 PM

Ok, then, I could add this feature with a configurable "autoconvert" checkbox. Several people on the forum said that they would not want BTC to be auto-converted to USD, because they want recipients to learn to deal with Bitcoin.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 03:12:34 AM

Ok, then, I could add this feature with a configurable "autoconvert" checkbox. Several people on the forum said that they would not want BTC to be auto-converted to USD, because they want recipients to learn to deal with Bitcoin.

You miss my point.

I don't want the funds to be converted ... I want the recipients to learn to deal with Bitcoins as well.

What I want is just to automatically calculate a BTC amount based on the USD-BTC rate.

Example:

I hate 1 BTC in my account, and I set my monthly donation to $1.
July 1st, 1 BTC = $5, so $1 = 0.2 BTC. 0.2 BTC is deducted from my balance and sent as donation, split between my props.

August 1st, 1 BTC drops to be worth $2 on GLBSE. So, $1 = 0.5 BTC. I have 0.7 in my balance, and now 0.5 BTC is removed and split between my donations.

Sep 1, 1 BTC = $100 Smiley So my monthly deduction now becomes only 0.01 BTC. At no point in this process is BTC actually converted to USD ... the Mt. Gox rate is just used to calculate the BTC amount.

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 07:07:43 AM

Also, I'd like to report a bug: I changed 1 USD to 0.2 BTC in my settings today, after giving props to this cool project (I created the tipjar). My dashboard says 0.2 USD instead of 0.2 BTC in the amount next to this project. This is the only project I've given props to this month.

Another bug I opened a few days ago: https://propster.uservoice.com/forums/163189-general/suggestions/2899137-fix-bug-i-don-t-claim-to-own-this-tip-jar

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 07:16:04 AM

One last thing for now - I added this feature request about welcome notifications, it could be super helpful to new users.

Do you get an email whenever someone posts to User Voice?
For some reason I don't emails when you reply.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:09:02 PM

You miss my point.

I don't want the funds to be converted ... I want the recipients to learn to deal with Bitcoins as well.

What I want is just to automatically calculate a BTC amount based on the USD-BTC rate.

Example:

July 1st, 1 BTC = $5, so $1 = 0.2 BTC. 0.2 BTC is deducted from my balance and sent as donation, split between my props.

August 1st, 1 BTC drops to be worth $2 on GLBSE. So, $1 = 0.5 BTC. I have 0.7 in my balance, and now 0.5 BTC is removed and split between my donations.

Sep 1, 1 BTC = $100 Smiley So my monthly deduction now becomes only 0.01 BTC. At no point in this process is BTC actually converted to USD ... the Mt. Gox rate is just used to calculate the BTC amount.

That is a great idea, thank you !

I see all your comments on UserVoice. I will work on them today (the popup kept me busy over the weekend).

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 02:11:36 PM

You miss my point.

Example:

That is a great idea, thank you !

I see all your comments on UserVoice. I will work on them today (the popup kept me busy over the weekend).

Cheers.

Wow, I must have not really woken up yet:

I hate 1 BTC in my account
1 BTC drops to be worth $2 on GLBSE

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 07:08:33 PM

New Feature!  I added a StumbleUpon-like style of viewing any website, with a Tip Jar toolbar slapped on top.

https://propster.me/preview/0c7sve2

ripper234
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 04:57:25 AM

New Feature!  I added a StumbleUpon-like style of viewing any website, with a Tip Jar toolbar slapped on top.

https://propster.me/preview/0c7sve2

Good direction, but I won't use it .. takes too much screen space.
Is a Chrome extension coming soon? (You can outsource writing it if you want)

I really like the pace at which you're making progress.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:11:13 AM

I added this mode for this reason: suppose you want to share both the tipjar and what it's for. If you just share a tip jar page, then some people may not get that they have to go and visit the homepage of the subject. So you would have to email two links , the project and the tipjar. With the preview feature (toolbar) you can just send that one link.

Thank you for the compliment.

I have a Firefox extension ready to go. But I want to make it more powerful. I will post tomorrow on that.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: