Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:27:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin a religion?  (Read 6691 times)
bb113 (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:34:57 PM

7.25.3.6.5  (02-23-1999)
Religious Belief Defined

The term "religious" as used in IRC 501(c)(3) is not subject to precise definition. The leading interpretation of the term was made by the Supreme Court in United States v. Seeger, 380 U.S. 163 (1965), in which the Court interpreted the phrase "religious training and belief" as used in the Universal Military Training and Service Act, 50 U.S.C. section 456 (j), in determining an individual’s eligibility for exemption from military service on religious grounds. The Court formulated the following definition: "A sincere and meaningful belief which occupies in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by the God of those admittedly qualifying for the exemption comes within the statutory definition."

The Court elaborated upon the Seeger definition in Welsh v. United States, 398 U.S. 33 (1970), stating that "f an individual deeply and sincerely holds beliefs that are purely ethical or moral in source and content but that nevertheless impose upon him a duty of conscience to refrain from participating in any war at any time, those beliefs certainly occupy in the life of that individual a place parallel to that filled by... God in the lives of traditionally religious persons." Thus, religious beliefs include many beliefs (for example, Taoism, Buddhism, and Secular Humanism) that do not posit the existence of a Supreme Being in the conventional sense.

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-003.html
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ekaros

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:36:57 PM

Probably not legally... On other hand it seems to be kinda big for some people here...

So, I wouldn't think it would pass in any court anywhere.

Even if I feel that some people believe in it bit too much...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
bb113 (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:39:52 PM

Probably not legally... On other hand it seems to be kinda big for some people here...

So, I wouldn't think it would pass in any court anywhere.

Even if I feel that some people believe in it bit too much...

This is kind of what I was getting at. As far as I can tell there is a not insignificant number of people use bitcoin for purely ethical and moral reasons.

edit: edited quote because ekaros edited making it confusing, content pretty much the same
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 23, 2013, 11:50:18 PM

The issue with law, it can be interpreted any which ways you want it to be.  If the Supreme Court, as a joke, wanted to make Bitcoin into a religion, they could interpret it as such and legally recognize it as one.

Of course, this may be absurd, but considering the love and worship of the dollar...

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2013, 11:52:50 PM

Let's be honest, it does have all the makings of a religion, let me just go through the list:

. Mysterious creator that has suddenly vanished off the face of the Earth or doesn't exist  - Check

. Celebrities are endorsing it to give it more legitimacy - Check

. Multiple sects splitting off from the main beliefs because they disagree with them or want to form their own cult instead - Check

. Lots and lots of conspiracy theories surrounding it - Check

. Persecution from government organisations that fear it - Check

. Crazy evangelical fringe believers who run around and try to harass people into following it - Check

. Extremely negative mass media attention - Check

Yep, I'd say we're a religion now Cheesy
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 12:10:20 AM

Let's be honest, it does have all the makings of a religion, let me just go through the list:

. Mysterious creator that has suddenly vanished off the face of the Earth or doesn't exist  - Check

. Multiple sects splitting off from the main beliefs because they disagree with them or want to form their own cult instead - Check

. Crazy evangelical fringe believers who run around and try to harass people into following it - Check

At first I was like:

But then I

and now I'm like:

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 12:40:34 AM

"Ayn Rand, with trappings"

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 01:07:31 AM

The thinking isn't far off...  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=xnnOtdOcOFk

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=151820.0
"Bitcoin Millionaire" Max Keiser passionately heralds a 'second coming' in the form of "Cyber Christ", Bitcoin and its anonymous founder Satoshi Nakamoto.

I did laugh my ass off with joy, and actually agree with the sentiment.

Bitcoin has come to free us all with competition against the unchallenged, monopolistic Federal Reserve System.

Cyber Christ has returned, just like all those religions said he would Cheesy

Funny you say that (and now that I've checked the youtube video).

Did you know that there existed a Pope that apparently had the gift of prophecy, back in the 12th Century. He predicted numerous popes through the centuries with often amazing accuracy (though not always correct). However, of note, he predicted the previous 6 Popes spot on, and then after these 6;

"The list ends with a pope identified as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will allegedly bring the destruction of the city of Rome and usher in the beginning of the Apocalypse."

Who is the now the next pope, and I believe it was 2 days after that youtube video was made that it was official.

The Prophecy of Malachi - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Seriously, it exists, check it out.

I know the Vatican got taken over by the global banking empire during Napoleon's time, and I do think the Vatican has had a hand in altering 'stuff' and screwing around with stuff (I mean, religion, c'mon). So I expect the truth is actually the opposite of 'anti-christ', pfft, more like it was something like a positive great thing, but vatican and such changed it in the public view 'just in case' there was any truth to it and some dodgy geezer with strange powers appeared Cheesy

I'm pretty much an atheist btw, but you gotta admit this shit is weird Cheesy
GambitBTC

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 05:27:30 PM

This.

Extremely well put sir.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 01:17:27 AM

Religion is different for everybody. People can go to the same church, read out of the same holy book, and never have the same understanding of their religion.

Because of this, some people have a religion in Bitcoin, and in others Bitcoin is only a part of their religion of life. Those who don't know about Bitcoin certainly don't have a religion in it.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
chris_nor

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 06:24:47 AM

It's not, unless you're a Bitcoinmaximus. And even then, probably not.
bra4our

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:22:40 PM

No its not but Satoshi can be a religious figure if people want to worship whoever he is.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 01:31:57 PM

No its not but Satoshi can be a religious figure if people want to worship whoever he is.

Well no one considers facebook, or twitter or tge dollar as a form of religion. It doesn't mean that if a lot of people is fond or is using it it can pass as something that's being worshipped. People use these things to better their lives much like their use of bitcoin

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Lancusters

Activity: 630
Merit: 263

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 09:10:04 PM

Bitcoin is the only religion which unites people. They are the representatives of all religions and atheists. We argue among themselves there is a God or not, but bitcoin is all we recognize. Maybe our God is a bitcoin?
JGoRed

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 09:18:04 PM

I'll answer a question with a question: Is USD or EURO a religion? Bitcoin is no religion, it is a decentralized currency. Although there seems to be a lot of people who treat it as a religion.
bangjoe

Activity: 1428
Merit: 688

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:10:25 AM

Currency = religion?
there is something wrong with thoughts in your head, this is indeed true, dude !!!
most global human opted for atheists and just assume currency is the best source of happiness in this world, the mindset of hedonic've messed up all physical elements in their bodies.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:44:16 AM

7.25.3.6.5  (02-23-1999)
Religious Belief Defined

The term "religious" as used in IRC 501(c)(3) is not subject to precise definition. The leading interpretation of the term was made by the Supreme Court in United States v. Seeger, 380 U.S. 163 (1965), in which the Court interpreted the phrase "religious training and belief" as used in the Universal Military Training and Service Act, 50 U.S.C. section 456 (j), in determining an individual’s eligibility for exemption from military service on religious grounds. The Court formulated the following definition: "A sincere and meaningful belief which occupies in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by the God of those admittedly qualifying for the exemption comes within the statutory definition."

The Court elaborated upon the Seeger definition in Welsh v. United States, 398 U.S. 33 (1970), stating that "f an individual deeply and sincerely holds beliefs that are purely ethical or moral in source and content but that nevertheless impose upon him a duty of conscience to refrain from participating in any war at any time, those beliefs certainly occupy in the life of that individual a place parallel to that filled by... God in the lives of traditionally religious persons." Thus, religious beliefs include many beliefs (for example, Taoism, Buddhism, and Secular Humanism) that do not posit the existence of a Supreme Being in the conventional sense.

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-003.html

No. Doesn't have a supernatural element (you can jokingly place Satoshi here), or a sacred/profane division. Lacks many other characteristics of a religion is well.

It could be defined as a social movement, however.
malcovixeffect

Activity: 714
Merit: 266

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 01:51:33 AM

Satoshism
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1372

View Profile
April 06, 2017, 02:16:29 AM

Bitcoin, itself, is not a religion. At this stage of the Bitcoin game, there are some who act like it is a religion for them.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Nathanz

Activity: 133
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2017, 03:24:40 PM

No. Bitcoin it's not a religion. Its just an extraordinary cryptocurrency. Yeah ,because bitcoin is the most powerful among the others.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: