Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:02:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY PCB with AVALON: "The Quarter Stick" - Needs Help!  (Read 89444 times)
BitHav

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:38:34 PM

With 256 chips per board you can hash conservatively 64GHs/s per board. You can stack up to 5 of these boards together for over 320 Ghs/s per unit.

Worth to try...
And also each board could double as a pro grade waffle iron...

Nah! We are talking here less than 2.5 KW (including PS losses). Currently I am wasting much more power in my mining rig and only achieving less than 3 GHs/s with 6 Radeon HD cards!

I used to work for different companies as a design EE and I and used to handled power waste (heat losses) evacuation efficiently. So I know what I am talking about...
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 03:31:20 PM

It seems nobody answered my question regarding a board with higher amount of chips so i will ask again.

Whats the best performance in regards to how many chips are on a pcb? I believ avalon is putting 16 on a pcb, burnin thinks about 20 chips. But i wonder wouldnt it be more efficient to make a big pcb with maybe 100 or 200 chips on it? Only one step to implement many chips, probably one power supply and so on.

I mean i see how many chips some people order. And i see the prices for "one board". I dont believe that a chip with 1000 chips would be cheaper at all because of the size that would drive the production cost into heights. But where is the optimum here? Burnin says 10 chips for 80€ and 20 for 100€. So its cheaper to build in more chips. Wheres the possible optimum?

I really think the one that develops this "cheapest" board will make a fortune. And the one that creates the biggest board will be friend of those that bought a batch on its own and dont want to have staying around 1000 miners with 10 chips each. The more units the more costs, the more needed connections and so on.

With such an order you might be better off asking one of the DIY PCB designers to work with you specifically for a larger board that would be more efficient in terms of components and power compared to smaller offerings if it is even possible. Can't see why it wouldn't. Or find someone to develop a design for you. There are sites where you can hire designers for this https://www.odesk.com/.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe wait until end of May when avalon gives out the design and then the developer will have something to work on. I only wonder if i could judge from a design if it will work. I mean im no pro that can say this easily.

With my design it will be possible to panellize multiple 10x10cm boards onto bigger ones. But it doesn't get much more economical to do that and you lose some modularity. A 20cm x 20cm board is quite reasonable and that would hold 4 modules with no extra design effort - just plunk the gerber files down 4x. And you end up with 64 chips / board. Or 20x30 would give you 80 chips, which is nice as it's about the same size as a sheet of paper, so still easy to work with.

I should note if you panellize then you can leave off the usb connector except for one per big board. You would make an octopus PCIe power splitter joining one PSU lead to one big board, with 4 or 6 plugs. And a small 3 pin ribbon jumper to hop around the modules for I2C data.

Can you guess what size of pcb in general would have the best production price? I mean 20 pcb with one chip most probably will cost more than one pcb with 20 chips. But a pcb of 1m x 1m will cost much money too i guess. So what do you think is the optimum in between?
Is the power needed a costfactor too? For example a one-chip miner needs a power supply that has a certain price but 1000 chips on one pcb need a special super high priced power supply. Something like that. The rest, software, cases and so on most probably is secondary.
So what do you guess here?

You guys are dead on the money.

I am working my own design with 16X16 Avalon chips in a single board, using a PCI-ex4 interface, and the standard PCI-e 12V suplemental power as additional power source. If all the footprint is there (and much more powerfull) in an ATX motherboard, why bother building additional boards and interfaces as in the Avalon Design?

With 256 chips per board you can hash conservatively 64GHs/s per board. You can stack up to 5 of these boards together for over 320 Ghs/s per unit.

Worth to try...

Sounds nice. So you create one big board with 256 chips? How big would this pcb be? I guess you have a design where one broken chip doesnt take other down with it.
Only out of interest... if your design works would you sell it so that someone could create miners with it by making contracts with specialized companies?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
BitHav

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:40:28 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 06:43:56 PM by BitHav

Sounds nice. So you create one big board with 256 chips? How big would this pcb be? I guess you have a design where one broken chip doesnt take other down with it.
Only out of interest... if your design works would you sell it so that someone could create miners with it by making contracts with specialized companies?

The chips will be grouped on sets of 8, with independent power supplies. If 1 chip goes bad, that section will be shut down, without causing any additional problems.

No, I will not sell the design. I will sell working units of 64 to 320 GHs/s. I am the specialized company. Smiley
jerethdaminer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:55:43 PM

sounds interesting since avalon is actually shipping if your product will be comprable id definiitly be interested
fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 10:31:22 PM

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 10 chip Avalon ASIC module?

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:33:50 PM

Could all developers please help creating a list of boards that will be available? I started already a table but would like to have it more complete. More developers, more accurate info. Please post in that thread and i will add it into the first post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=192860.0

Thank you!

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:34:30 PM

It's roughly 4cm x 12cm. Taken from measure the photos and then scaling by the known 7mm chip size.

ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:00:33 AM

Worth to try...
And also each board could double as a pro grade waffle iron...

Nah! We are talking here less than 2.5 KW (including PS losses). Currently I am wasting much more power in my mining rig and only achieving less than 3 GHs/s with 6 Radeon HD cards!

I used to work for different companies as a design EE and I and used to handled power waste (heat losses) evacuation efficiently. So I know what I am talking about...
Problem is they're these damn tiny QFN chips each burning 2.something watts

It can be done of course, just less than ideal
ecliptic

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:08:48 AM

* Make it simple enough that anyone with a DIY spirit can assemble one of these with
some simple low priced tools.
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/category/2
DIY manufacturing may be an avenue to get these out much faster.
Expect a few hours assembly time per board.

How do you plan to do this with all the QFN + Thermal pad chips?

Not saying it's impossible

Just, can be damn tricky.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 01:20:13 AM

* Make it simple enough that anyone with a DIY spirit can assemble one of these with

Start by reading the tutorials on SMD reflow at home. Don't attempt to do this with a soldering iron.

LordTheron

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 09:24:27 AM

Start by reading the tutorials on SMD reflow at home. Don't attempt to do this with a soldering iron.

Yeah soldering iron is not the way. I would get a small hot air rework station on ebay. They cost around £80 and will do the job well.
fruitrunner

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:16:31 AM

What about using a Beagleboard? Instead of a Pi+ USB controller?

http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

can you use qfn adapters instead of making a new pcb? It would maybe be easyer to solder?? qfn adapter + a breadboard??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Adapter-fur-QFN48-0-5mm-Raster-P011-10-/160939855169?pt=Wissenschaftliche_Ger%C3%A4te&hash=item2578c34d41

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 12:05:20 PM

can you use qfn adapters instead of making a new pcb? It would maybe be easyer to solder?? qfn adapter + a breadboard??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Adapter-fur-QFN48-0-5mm-Raster-P011-10-/160939855169?pt=Wissenschaftliche_Ger%C3%A4te&hash=item2578c34d41
You probably could use the beagleboard as long as you can compile and run cgminer on it. If you have one then give that a try.

That SMD adapter is pretty nice and not too costly (except for shipping). It would be good for breadboarding. It's the only one I've seen that has thermal vias - good idea. You could likely put a heat sink on back but they don't show the back. If you wanted to play around with an ASIC you could likely stick it on that and hook it direct to the beagleboard I/O headers to experiment.

BitHav

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 12:30:37 PM

37 x 138 mm
neslekkim

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:12:34 PM

Is that the size of the board including the psu part?, is it possible for you to measure the two parts separately?
There is an white line between the psu part, and the mining part, in my project I want to separate it there (I can't see the necessity of one for each 10 chips?)
BitHav

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:29:53 PM

Is that the size of the board including the psu part?, is it possible for you to measure the two parts separately?
There is an white line between the psu part, and the mining part, in my project I want to separate it there (I can't see the necessity of one for each 10 chips?)

PS:     37x48 mm
Chips: 37x90 mm
turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 04:44:21 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 09:40:17 PM by turtle83

You probably could use the beagleboard as long as you can compile and run cgminer on it. If you have one then give that a try.

That SMD adapter is pretty nice and not too costly (except for shipping). It would be good for breadboarding. It's the only one I've seen that has thermal vias - good idea. You could likely put a heat sink on back but they don't show the back. If you wanted to play around with an ASIC you could likely stick it on that and hook it direct to the beagleboard I/O headers to experiment.

Just out of curiosity(off a hardware noob), What would be the minimum requirements to talk to a single Avalon ASIC?  

Is my understanding of the ASIC correct : You provide specified voltages to the specified pins. Then you can talk to the chip using any serial interface? Or is it not as simple as that?

Say I have a beagle port, or raspi or computer with a serial port, or whatever.

1) Avalon ASIC X 1
2) SMD-Adapter x 1 = EUR 7 plus some labor costs to have asic sodered onto it
3) Breadboard x 1 = < $10
4) Huh (voltage transformers/resistors/capacitors)
5) Time - priceless

Is it sane to assume that for a DYI purposes for a single chip, I could interface it to a serial port for $30 ? Need some extra for labour since the QFN soldering would need to be outsourced.

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 04:57:52 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2013, 10:01:07 PM by BkkCoins

Just out of curiosity(off a hardware noob), What would be the minimum requirements to talk to a single Avalon ASIC?  

Is my understanding of the ASIC correct : You provide specified voltages to the specified pins. Then you can talk to the chip using any serial interface? Or is it not as simple as that?

Say I have a beagle port, or raspi or computer with a serial port, or whatever.

1) Avalon ASIC X 1
2) SMD-Adapter x 1 = EUR 7 plus some labor costs to have asic sodered onto it
3) Breadboard x 1 = < $10
4) Huh (voltage transformers/resistors/capacitors)
5) Time - priceless

Is it sane to assume that for a DYI purposes for a single chip, I could interface it to a serial port for $30 ? Need some extra for labour since the QFN soldering would need to be outsourced.
Well, the docs are yet to be released. But guessing I'd say yes. A serial port with 3.3V levels - check it's not 5V as we don't know if the ASIC has 5V tolerance - connected to the data in/out of the chip is mostly it, but there could be some other data requirements. AFAIK you'll likely need a 32MHz oscillator too. Something like that.

The more difficult part is you'll need both 3.3V and 1.2V power supplies. Most of the power is used on the 1.2V rail - about 1.5A roughly, plan for 2A. And likely not much 3.3V power, plan for 300mA. Cheap LDO regulators can handle both of these. And a heat sink for the back of the adapter board.

turtle83

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:13:01 PM

also stumbled upon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G1IfYguQLQ

$8 - 10 per board

This one $5.95 looks similar to above. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1162

So backside attach thermal paste + heatsink should be sufficient i guess.

rgzen

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:31:25 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 07:41:53 PM by rgzen

also stumbled upon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G1IfYguQLQ

$8 - 10 per board

This one $5.95 looks similar to above. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1162

So backside attach thermal paste + heatsink should be sufficient i guess.
Sorry, but it seems to be qfn44. In fact, if you count the pins it have 44 instead of 48.
It was a good idea anyway...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: