Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:28:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To mine Ethereum or Monero?  (Read 9013 times)
Turbo2 (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 12:41:09 PM

Hey guys, I have a spare PC laying around ($0 hardware cost) so I'd like to start mining either ETH or XMR with it for fun and a small profit Smiley

It has an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5 (3.1Ghz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, and an ASUS 750 Ti SSC (2GB). I know, not a top of the line machine but enough for some GPU mining....

Now, which altcoin will generate more monthly profit (in BTC/mBTC) do you guys think, ETH or XMR? Same machine, same electricity cost (0.08/kwh), etc.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance!
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
snowyNNN

Activity: 422
Merit: 251

Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Zcl Kmd Zen Rep Xmr Sc Neo

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 04:52:08 PM

It looks like Monero for you.
Processormining is worthless in Eth but might hash a little in XMR.
Gpu is pretty weak for Eth but looks ok for Monero. gl.

█▀▀▄░▄▀▀▄░▄▀▀▀░█░░░  Xmr Sc Pasc Rlc Zen           ✦       (\__/)       ✦
█▀▀░░█▀▀█░░▀▀▄░█░░░  Zcl Kmd Ltc Rep Dash                  (='.'=) 
█░░░░█░░█░███▀░███░ Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Btc             ✦   (")_(")  ✦           ▲▼ Anonymous ▲▼ Community Driven     XULT.com
Turbo2 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 06:16:27 PM

Does nobody use CPU for ETH mining anymore?

My GPU is definitely more powerful in terms of hash rate than my CPU, so I'd prefer to use it instead of my CPU. Is a 750 Ti SSC really not powerful enough to mine ETH? It is only 1-2 years old....
thefix
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:13:18 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2016, 07:34:10 PM by thefix

My GPU is definitely more powerful in terms of hash rate than my CPU, so I'd prefer to use it instead of my CPU. Is a 750 Ti SSC really not powerful enough to mine ETH? It is only 1-2 years old....

I have a bunch of 750 ti cards and they are perfect for Monero, you should get around 250 h/s with them. They really do not work well with ETH, but will work better with shift or expanse since the dag file is not as large. Just punch in the numbers at http://www.whattomine.com/ 3 MH/S for Eth(Ethash) and 250 h/s Monero(CryptoNight) and you will find its about double your earnings for Monero on the 750ti.

No one really mines ETH with the CPU, but for Monero its perfect as well, so you have an easy and clear choice in my opinion.

Good luck and happy mining!
Turbo2 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:41:24 PM

I have a bunch of 750 ti cards and they are perfect for Monero, you should get around 250 h/s with them. They really do not work well with ETH, but will work better with shift or expanse since the dag file is not as large. Just punch in the numbers at http://www.whattomine.com/ 3 MH/S for Eth(Ethash) and 250 h/s Monero(CryptoNight) and you will find its about double your earnings for Monero on the 750ti.

No one really mines ETH with the CPU, but for Monero its perfect as well, so you have an easy and clear choice in my opinion.

Thanks for the info! Any reason ETH mining doesn't work with the 750ti in particular?
thefix
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 09:40:26 PM

Thanks for the info! Any reason ETH mining doesn't work with the 750ti in particular?

Check out the F.A.Q section here for more detailed info about 750ti cards https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1368785.0    you can also search that thread for others who are using the 750ti
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 10:18:02 PM

I ran my pair or 750 ti cards on Ethereum for a while right after I got them. 3-4 MH/s (usually a lot closer to 3) wasn't very impressive, so I ended up swapping them into a couple older XP systems I use for gaming on (NVidia offered XP support for YEARS after AMD stopped) and put other stuff into the mining machines.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Turbo2 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 05:44:06 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2016, 06:01:41 PM by Turbo2

Check out the F.A.Q section here for more detailed info about 750ti cards https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1368785.0    you can also search that thread for others who are using the 750ti

Thanks for the link thefix! Now, I am looking to upgrade to a newer graphic card anyway so maybe this is the time...I am looking at the GTX960....Is it reasonable to expect 500 H/s out of it when mining Monero you think? What kind of MH/s when mining ETH with it? Also, big difference in mining power between the 2GB and 4GB model? Because there is in price hahah

Almost double, ~$500 for the 4GB version but under $300 for the 2GB version.....It looks like overall in terms of GPU mining, Monero is more profitable which is weird because it is worth less but alright.....Time to get a Monero wallet I guess  Grin
GabryRox

Activity: 600
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 07:58:07 PM

I'm still new to all of this but my research indicates that in most cases, at current exchange rates, Monero will be more profitable to mine.  This is true, albeit by a relatively narrow margin, even NOT counting the CPU factor, but if you have a relatively decent CPU, it swings even more to XMR.

Not sure about the GPU you mention as I have heard the AMD GPUs are usually better for most types of mining, but for instance... an RX 470 should provide ~750 H/s on XMR and ~25 MH/s on ETH.  If you plug those numbers into profit calculators at current rates with equal wattage and equal electricity costs, XMR comes out about 15-20% more profitable. Granted, this gap has increased quite a bit over the last few days since XMR is on a higher rise rate than ETH has been, but even before this, Monero was a bit more profitable. I believe that this mainly has to do with the fact that the difficulty for XMR is still way lower than that of ETH. So, yes, ETH is currently worth about 20% more than XMR in unit value, but due to lower difficulty, you will mine enough extra XMR in the same time (as if you would have mined ETC) to actually make about 20% more profit.

Now, that other big thing to consider in this particular comparison is CPU hashing power for XMR. I considered this heavily in my pending build and actually opted for a higher end CPU Intel i7-6800K(granted, i got it free which made a big difference but still).  This is because even my very old 2600K can pull 120-140 H/s on XMR (and effectively nothing on ETH). I've seen benchmarks indicating that 3xxxK and 4xxxK CPUs can get 300-400 H/s on XMR, so I am hoping my 6800K can do a bit better than that... maybe in the 500-600 range, which is almost the equivalent of another good GPU. I have heard that even the very cheap g4400 CPUs should be able to get around 120 M/h, which granted, isn't a ton, but it's 15-25% more hash rate (depending on your GPU) for XMR than you would get for ETH. Granted, all of this is theory until I get my rig up and running, but I believe the logic is sound.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 08:05:34 PM

I think ETH has a more stable market with good longevity, but yet monero jumped from $2 to $15 suddenly.
You can't really tell but any coin with a solid and good coding and road map should be considered a profitable coin to think about mining it.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 09:11:11 PM

My GTX 960s manage about 11 MH/s on ETH, with some mild overclock.
That's BARELY better than my GTX 950s at 10+, I suspect memory limitations at the 960 has a significantly higher core count.

Up side, the 960s use barely more power than the 950s.

The GTX 970 is said to be a 20MH/s or a bit more card on ETH but I don't have any of those.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2016, 12:59:19 AM

I think mining either would be good, becasue both have the opportunity to increase in value still.

I feel like Monero has the possibility of becoming the next major coin.
Some of the darknet sites are beginning to accept payment in Monero, and this will lead to new customers and (hopefully) wider adoption as a whole.
Imagine if you put $100 in Monero, and year or two later, Monero was worth the same as BTC.
You would have over $5000 for your modest investment.

I still think Eth has a good possibility for profit, but Monero has a bigger potential if it hits because of the lower current coin value.

rbtminer

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 03:51:44 AM

i have a win 10 64bit pc with these specs below,
which coin would be best for me to mine?

i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4GHz
8G ram
GTX 1060 6G GPU.
Thanks in advance
snowyNNN

Activity: 422
Merit: 251

Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Zcl Kmd Zen Rep Xmr Sc Neo

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 09:33:39 AM

i have a win 10 64bit pc with these specs below,
which coin would be best for me to mine?

i7-6800K CPU @ 3.4GHz
8G ram
GTX 1060 6G GPU.
Thanks in advance
You can get 20+ MH/s for ethereum with the gpu which is really good and uses very little electricity.

You can mine with the Cpu aswell if you like, but it might diminish the gpus hashrate .
If you like to mine with both, mine monero with the cpu but don´t use all possible cores. Test it out and soforth..

█▀▀▄░▄▀▀▄░▄▀▀▀░█░░░  Xmr Sc Pasc Rlc Zen           ✦       (\__/)       ✦
█▀▀░░█▀▀█░░▀▀▄░█░░░  Zcl Kmd Ltc Rep Dash                  (='.'=) 
█░░░░█░░█░███▀░███░ Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Btc             ✦   (")_(")  ✦           ▲▼ Anonymous ▲▼ Community Driven     XULT.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:29:35 PM

Not enough RAM for the DAG file - it MIGHT work for some of the ETH clones like ETC if you have a 2GB version, but the performance was never very good on ETH as it had way too few cores.
 1GB versions of the card NEVER worked on ETH at all, not enough RAM even for the original DAG file.

It's about a 250ish hash/s card for Monero with a mild overclock, which is comparable to some mid-range CPUs and uses little if any more power than they do.
 It MIGHT be a viable ZEC miner, never tried it on that to date.

secretservice

Activity: 41
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:34:44 PM

I've heard that Monero has too many botnets. It doesn't make it impractical to mine for the average user?

Byteball.org   ❱❱❱  IT  JUST  WORKS.  ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email - Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments - ICO Platform with KYC
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:37:58 PM

Just have to watch the profitability on Monero - and I'd guess the "too many botnets" issue is more claimed than real.

POD5

Activity: 250

Keep smiling if you're loosing!

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 01:08:30 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2017, 01:21:48 PM by POD5

Hi,  Grin

I also would like to ask you some questions about mining:

For example, if I have a server with a gigabyte mb10-ds3 mainboard and 128 GB RAM,
would it be worth to mine? And is there a way to mine for free? Bitcoins? Ethereum?
And multimining? Several coin mining at the same time?

Intel® Xeon® D-1541 processor 2.1GHz
Up to 2.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
8 cores, 16 threads
12MB cache
45W TDP
NO GPU
btcneodev

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:09:56 PM

If you have 750ti as I did, I have one old 750ti that removed from old computer, then I plugged it into my my mining rig and mine monero. For 750ti, cryptonight algorithm performs best compared to others.
POD5

Activity: 250

Keep smiling if you're loosing!

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:18:57 PM

It sounds easy when you know what you are doing but I'm an absolute beginner.
The structure of a GPU mining RIG seems amasing but at the some time complicated.
And electricity costs are also the point...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: