Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:49:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL: Do not donate any money to charity  (Read 2037 times)
MXRider (OP)

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:00:59 PM

Just let trolls complain. Nobody else cares.

Waiting for your response frizz or smoothie...
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 05:02:26 PM

Why should they? They didnt ship yet so they have time to fix it. And when they ship it with higher watt then its on wish of customers. That doesnt say the final product will be better. I wouldnt donate at this stage too.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:05:32 PM

The charity donation was their choice, not the "trolls".

The power specs were something they used to draw customers towards their product and away from others, the charity donation was used to display the confidence they had in meeting the specs they were selling, To let them out of it now would basically be saying it's ok to lie and cheat to get sales.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 05:07:18 PM

The power specs were something they used to draw customers towards their product and away from others, the charity donation was used to display the confidence they had in meeting the specs they were selling, To let them out of it now would basically be saying it's ok to lie and cheat to get sales.

But they dont have a product ready now. So if they manage to fix this they kept their promise. If they cant then of course the promise should be kept.

Frankie Delaney

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:09:08 PM

But they dont have a product ready now. So if they manage to fix this they kept their promise. If they cant then of course the promise should be kept.

Yeah, nobody is expecting them to make the donation based on lab tests. It's BFL themselves that are saying they will be shipping these high power usage units.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 05:11:43 PM

Yeah, nobody is expecting them to make the donation based on lab tests. It's BFL themselves that are saying they will be shipping these high power usage units.

As far as i read only if the customer would like to have the high power units instead waiting for better ones. So they ship some betas in my opinion, not the real endproduct. Of course if they cant deliver the endproduct with the low power usage the promise has to be kept.

Frankie Delaney

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:20:13 PM

So is it only declared a finished product once they meet the power target? Are people who have already been waiting 9 months for the product supposed to sit and watch people who ordered after them mine with these "beta"s while waiting for the proper product.

THEY set the goal, They set the consequences for missing the goal, at this point it seems entirely likely they are going to miss the goal. Why should they not face the consequence they set?
MXRider (OP)

Activity: 466

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:27:04 PM

So is it only declared a finished product once they meet the power target? Are people who have already been waiting 9 months for the product supposed to sit and watch people who ordered after them mine with these "beta"s while waiting for the proper product.

THEY set the goal, They set the consequences for missing the goal, at this point it seems entirely likely they are going to miss the goal. Why should they not face the consequence they set?

Everyone has had 9 months to cancel their order and ask for a refund. BFL never stated which product should be 1.1W max per gigahash. I sincerely hope that BFL doesn't give ANY money away, even if they fail miserably with the power consumption. That requirement could be for a 3rd gen. BFL ASIC.
Frankie Delaney

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:41:16 PM

You don't see the moral issue here?

Salesman 1:"i will be building a car that has 100hp"
Salesman 2: "i will be building a car that has 200hp"
Salesman 1: "my car also has 200hp now"
Salesman 2: "my 200hp car does 30 miles per gallon"
Salesman 1: "my 200hp car does 50 miles per gallon, and i'm so confident of those figures i'll donate $100,00 to charity if it doesn't match up"
Salesman 2: "my car is finished, here it is, as promised, 200hp, and 30 miles per gallon"
Salesman 1: "my car doesn't run right, and i don't know why, it only has 100hp and does 40 miles per gallon, but don't worry, we'll just send you 2, that adds up to 200hp. Also, i'm not donating anything to charity because there's a possiblity in the future i might be able to build a car that has 200hp and does 50 miles per gallon, and some loser on a forum said it was ok to lie to get sales.

Everyone has had 9 months to cancel their order and ask for a refund. BFL never stated which product should be 1.1W max per gigahash. I sincerely hope that BFL doesn't give ANY money away, even if they fail miserably with the power consumption. That requirement could be for a 3rd gen. BFL ASIC.

Yes, yes they did. Right fucking here.
We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%. We are offering our devices at 1 watt consumed per gigahash. If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity! How is that for confidence in our power usage?
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content/123-bfl-offers-1000-btc-charity-if-they-miss-their-power-targets.html

They specifically said they would be max 1.1 watts. Also, saying everyone had 9 months to cancel their order when we just found out a few days ago that the units are broken is just plain dumb.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 05:46:31 PM

It seems to come down to that you claim they have to deliver now the promised product. But that wasnt part of the promise. They only said they will have such a device that will use this power only. You cant add the parameter that they have to deliver now otherwise they fail. In my opinion they still have time to meet the promise.
But i think we wont come together at this point. Wink

witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:29:53 PM

Why should they? They didnt ship yet so they have time to fix it. And when they ship it with higher watt then its on wish of customers. That doesnt say the final product will be better. I wouldnt donate at this stage too.

This. But I dont agree with the last half. If they ship anything at all over the 10% power consumption, then I feel they're obligated to pay. It doesn't matter if customers wanted it that way or not. If they deliver any product outside specs they promised, then they should pay IMO.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 10:19:57 PM

This. But I dont agree with the last half. If they ship anything at all over the 10% power consumption, then I feel they're obligated to pay. It doesn't matter if customers wanted it that way or not. If they deliver any product outside specs they promised, then they should pay IMO.

If that would be the case, i in bfls foot, would simply deny to send out machines earlier if that would lead to such a huge loss of money. Then let the buyers complain that they would like to have the high power units. This way the promise isnt broken. I dont think thats the better version that could happen.
On the other hand... if the buyer wants it before, they know that its not the fully working product and cant claim afterwards that the promise is broken because they knew they demanded a non-finished product.

yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:54:49 PM

It seems to come down to that you claim they have to deliver now the promised product. But that wasnt part of the promise. They only said they will have such a device that will use this power only. You cant add the parameter that they have to deliver now otherwise they fail. In my opinion they still have time to meet the promise.

so they can ship the final version in 10 years?  WTF??

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 10:57:04 PM

so they can ship the final version in 10 years?  WTF??

If one would force them to pay 1000BTC when they deliver a beta-version of the miner?

yxt
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:02:44 PM

what beta? they promised to ship long time ago...
force? BFL has advertised with the donation

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:05:59 PM

Anyone who believes that BFL is actually going to donate that amount of BTC to charity under any circumstances, please see my thread in the auction forum, I'm currently accepting bids on the Brooklyn Bridge.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:26:03 PM

what beta? they promised to ship long time ago...
force? BFL has advertised with the donation

The bet didnt include any time promise.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:26:57 PM

Sebastian.....

How much is BFL paying you?
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:29:21 PM

Sebastian.....
How much is BFL paying you?

Nothing. But when i see someone claiming unfair forces by adding additional parameters i chime in. Smiley

yxt
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:30:13 PM

The bet didnt include any time promise.

Wrong
The date: as soon as they ship.

after team basic .....

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██