Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 10:56:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If Bitcoin was made illegal by your government and the punishment was very bad would you still use it, would you still support it?  (Voting closed: December 25, 2016, 01:05:03 AM)
yes - 111 (63.8%)
no - 21 (12.1%)
not sure - 35 (20.1%)
other - 7 (4%)
Total Voters: 174

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin was made illegal by your government would you still use it?  (Read 16741 times)
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 04:57:09 PM

If bitcoin is declared as illegal and those who are using it will be labeled criminals then I will stop using bitcoin for sure.  I am covered by my countries law and regulations, it serves as my protection and guidelines as my country's citizen.  I have nothing to do but to obey them else I would need to denounce my citizenship and move to other country where bitcoin is legal.
Well they can not know that you are using bitcoin.. so if you are just staying in the house and dont use any gadget with bitcoin when you are going to outside in your house it can be safe.. i will still use bitcoin since i investing  in bitcoin i can not sacrifice it.. and they can not trace easily because i am using a proxy with the same place but different region..
Victorycoin

Activity: 1134
Merit: 517

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 09:35:26 PM

Bitcoin in the first place was designed to by-pass government and its snoopy agents from meddling into people's finances and already it is a hugh success. The government and those financial houses that have been feeding fat on people's hard earned money are simply fighting lost battle and it matters very little whatever they choose to call bitcoin, we know its other name is freedom.
ajun96

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 10:00:05 PM

If bitcoin is declared as illegal and those who are using it will be labeled criminals then I will stop using bitcoin for sure.  I am covered by my countries law and regulations, it serves as my protection and guidelines as my country's citizen.  I have nothing to do but to obey them else I would need to denounce my citizenship and move to other country where bitcoin is legal.
I think there is truth in what you're doing. of course we live in a country that has rules and laws, when you break it surely you will be subject to fines and penalties. if bitcoin banned in your country then if you force the use bitcoin, maybe you'll go to jail?
iqlimasyadiqa
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 10:30:03 PM

Of course . I will use bitcoin more and more intense. due to the recognition of the government's position in the system bitcoin economy will be stronger. bitcoin simplify all transactions.
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 04:54:08 AM

This was a question that I gave much thought to before jumping fully in to bitcoin.
My country proclaims "freedom for the people".
"By the people for the people"....blah blah and so forth.
I would be active in keeping it legal.
I spent many years becoming a law abiding citizen, (it wasn't always an easy transition) maybe a decade in the making so it isn't something I'd give up easily.
Freedom isn't perfect and our execution of democracy sometimes leaves much to be desired.
Bitcoin represents an opportunity for freedom and an exploration of economic independence, the United States should continue to allow that exploration.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
ice18

Activity: 2492
Merit: 542

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 05:24:53 AM

I  will still use it, trace me if you can lol  Grin

nara1892

Activity: 1596
Merit: 664

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 05:46:16 AM

If Bitcoin was made illegal by your government and the punishment was very bad, would you still use it, would you still openly support it?

that's complicated. if the punishment would be so bad, I think I would not use it for a while when the government made it illegal, but I would still hold my bitcoin. and then when it is legal again, I will use it.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
delliaerd

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 05:57:52 AM

If Bitcoin was made illegal by your government and the punishment was very bad, would you still use it, would you still openly support it?

that's complicated. if the punishment would be so bad, I think I would not use it for a while when the government made it illegal, but I would still hold my bitcoin. and then when it is legal again, I will use it.
Although Bitcoin was made illegal by my goverment and the punishmentwas very bad, I will still use it, becouse goverment can not trace my activity with bitcoin. Anyway goverment can not rule bitcoin and the users. Do not scare bitcoin have anonimity that protect and keep the privacy of the users. That is one advantage of bitcoin that I like. Do not just hold it but you have to use it to keep the circle of bitcoin.

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

Invulner

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Invulner

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 06:06:41 AM

Well, if bitcoin is outlawed in my country then seriously i'd just lose all faith in my government. No government should restrict the freedom to use whatever currency you prefer to.

So yes, I'd still use it.
Mr. Big
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1179

While my guitar gently weeps!!!

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 06:20:24 AM

Well, if bitcoin is outlawed in my country then seriously i'd just lose all faith in my government. No government should restrict the freedom to use whatever currency you prefer to.

So yes, I'd still use it.

If a government is going to ban bitcoin, then definitely there's a great reason for it..It's either it's becoming a threat to the economy or people starts to misbehave because of it... There is always a limitation in everything, including freedom, so we should never brag about a system when we are a part of it, if a government impose something, I'm sure there's a good reason for it, coz if there is none, well, you know what will happen next...  Smiley
dinda22
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 06:51:44 AM

if the government just made it illegal without any effect for those who still use it, I think I would still use it.
but if the government will give punishment, better not to use it rather than go to jail.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 07:02:44 AM

I think it mainly going to depend on what kind of rules they are going to set to make it illegal, like for example it can be a simple prohibition about businesses accepting bitcoin or not, or it can be more extreme like no users is allowed to have bitcoin!

in the first case I would continue using bitcoin but in the second I think I will stop using it but will surely hold bitcoin.

Only Bitcoin
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 09:32:25 AM

I guess it would depend on how serious the government is about it, like do offenders risk jail or just fines and also on my family situation, whether I'm married and have kids. If I'm married and have kids that depend on me and messing with Bitcoin means I'm risking jail, I definitely wouldn't try to be a rebel, I would just forget about Bitcoin. On the other hand if I'm by myself and the worst I'm risking is a hefty fine, then maybe I would still use it.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 09:37:27 AM

I wouldn't, but trust me... Many people would. Governments always wanted the control over everything they possibly could. Bitcoin might be one of these things they want to control too, and they will probably try but I'm not sure it'll work. As we grow our community, taking any action against Bitcoin is basically fighting us. We're already over ten million users, which is a huge number.
Rostadom

Activity: 713
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 09:42:39 AM

I don't think my government will just illegalized the use of bitcoin. Bitcoin is fully decentralized and even if they can track some transactions, they wouldn't be able to trace the source or the owner of the bitcoin wallet unless the owner uploaded his identity online. To be honest, I don't think the government will use its resources just for bitcoin. Bitcoin isn't doing any harm to most people. Bitcoin allows us to earn money while at home and I guess that should be enough reason not to ban the use of bitcoins.
Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 09:44:04 AM

I'm sure if something like that happens people would still find out ways of using it without getting traced by the government, as we can see whether something is banned or not but we still find out some way of using it so that would have been the case with bitcoin too i guess.
puremage111

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 10:03:24 AM

of course, Our government already took 2.6 Billion or EVEN MORE from our country and i don't think if he made bitcoin illegal will make him sounds like hes some smart people. It will shows that hes more illegal than bitcoin tho.  Grin Tongue
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 10:09:06 AM

Honestly no.I will not use bitcoin if government declares it illegal irrespective of duration or severity of punishment.I love bitcoin but I am also a law abiding citizen.
groll

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 12:19:15 PM

I am riding the same boat with you sir and I totally agree with you. If its illegal then we should stop it otherwise suffer the consequences when caught. But aside from that if it is made illegal then you can no longer convert it to cash in your country and it will be a hard business. But to avoid any issues we should abide the governments rules.
Felimon

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 12:25:16 PM

If bitcoin was made illegal, I would have to say that I would not use it.  There are to many issues with new technology and if the government makes it illegal for any reason, then why would I take the risk of getting in trouble.  If they make it illegal, then they have a task force in place and ready to pounce to make people an example.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: