Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:21:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin economy passes US $1 Million!  (Read 7158 times)
Anonymous

November 06, 2010, 01:35:44 AM

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2Z0rOH/bitcoinwatch.com//r:t

Ill just leave this here Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 03:33:12 AM

Selfishly, I'd prefer the non-obfuscated URL Smiley

http://www.bitcoinwatch.com/

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Anonymous

November 06, 2010, 05:42:17 AM

Selfishly, I'd prefer the non-obfuscated URL Smiley

http://www.bitcoinwatch.com/

lazily I copy and pasted that one  Tongue
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 07:26:02 PM

Actually as far as i understand currency calculations, [all bitcoins in existence] x [current exchange USD] != [total value of all bitcoins in USD].
So the whole market is probably worth less than 1.000.000 USD, but i have no idea how much exactly.

How does one calculate such things ?

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 07:30:54 PM

Actually as far as i understand currency calculations, [all bitcoins in existence] x [current exchange USD] != [total value of all bitcoins in USD].
So the whole market is probably worth less than 1.000.000 USD, but i have no idea how much exactly.

How does one calculate such things ?

4.5 million BTC in circulation x $0.2899 USD (last trade on MTGox) = $1,304,550 USD.
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 07:33:25 PM

Bitcoin Watch creates an average USD/BTC price by looking at mtgox and bitcoinmarket, then multiplies the result by the number of bitcoins in existence.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 08:13:01 PM

I think ShadowOfHarbringer is alluding to the fact that if all the bitcoins were sold at once, it would depress the price below the current price, so that $1 million wouldn't actually be achieved.

Of course it's impossible that everyone would sell their bitcoins at once, and this kind of thinking doesn't stop people talking about the "total stock market capitalization" of a company even though it's equally theoretical.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2010, 08:39:15 PM

I think ShadowOfHarbringer is alluding to the fact that if all the bitcoins were sold at once, it would depress the price below the current price, so that $1 million wouldn't actually be achieved.

Of course it's impossible that everyone would sell their bitcoins at once, and this kind of thinking doesn't stop people talking about the "total stock market capitalization" of a company even though it's equally theoretical.

Of course if you tried to buy them all at once it would cost way more than $1M.

It's not a useful measure for anything serious, kind of like measuring GDP in dollars.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jgarzik
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 10:43:00 PM

Of course this is true.

However, that is the standard definition of market cap elsewhere:  share price times number of shares.  Obviously, if everybody sold MSFT, their market cap would not be $229 billion.  It's merely a snapshot of "right now" and nothing more.

nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2010, 04:38:57 AM

Of course this is true.

However, that is the standard definition of market cap elsewhere:  share price times number of shares.  Obviously, if everybody sold MSFT, their market cap would not be $229 billion.  It's merely a snapshot of "right now" and nothing more.

haha, that's exactly the example i gave on irc when this topic came up - microsoft.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2010, 04:49:14 AM

Hahaha! Expect, I know as a fact that 0.5 bitcoins are missing as my friend used the bitcoin faucet, but then forgot to backup his PC and he reinstalled Windows.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2010, 06:25:06 AM

Hahaha! Expect, I know as a fact that 0.5 bitcoins are missing as my friend used the bitcoin faucet, but then forgot to backup his PC and he reinstalled Windows.

But now that we know this we will bid up the price. See 1.25M already.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2010, 01:51:37 PM

But now that we know this we will bid up the price. See 1.25M already.

ROTFL.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 07, 2010, 02:07:51 PM

... my friend used the bitcoin faucet, but then forgot to backup his PC ...
He should be more careful. It's now up to $1.5 million.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 06:37:06 PM

down to 968724 USD )-;

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 11:02:06 PM

down to 968724 USD )-;

Too much speculation.
~0.20$ is the real current value. The rest is speculation.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2010, 11:53:52 PM

down to 968724 USD )-;

Too much speculation.
~0.20$ is the real current value. The rest is speculation.

That's an opinion, and it might be a fine one, but I have one as well.

I think that a lot of this run up was pent up demand due to the MtGox PayPal scandal.  Once payment processing was solved, dollars were trying to get into MtGox to find it's level, and now it has.  I imagine that the slow march back towards parity will continue, but the voltility of the past two weeks will be dampened for a time.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: