Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:40:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E vs Mt.GOX ... List price .. I don't get it.  (Read 2115 times)
dyseac (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:32:38 PM

So. - As I type this the current list price for BTC/USD is the following.

BTC-E BTC/USD: $112.92
MT.GOX BTC/USD: $143.20

So firstly, why such a big difference between the 2 exchanges.. and wouldn't it be a no brainer to buy say $100k worth on BTC-E - Transfer them to MT.Gox and sell at a profit? (even with small transaction fees) - or have i completely missed something? o_O

I don't get it...  Huh
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Brushan

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:37:47 PM

It's 134 for me on BTC-E. Still 10$..
Gab1159

Activity: 75

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:43:03 PM

Some people are doing it.

You should buy on btc-e that's a no-brainer...
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:11:55 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
segfault

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:16:11 PM

there's good reason. getting money on there is a pain. probably easier if you're just mining LTC or something else that's traded on there.
genuise

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 11:31:31 AM

try bitcoin-analytics.com/#arbitrage to see almost all available arbitrage options per BTC volume among major markets in real time with history for last 24 hours.

Jessi

Activity: 333

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 12:20:17 PM

But is arbitrage-trading really possible with bitcoins? I mean the network needs about 1-3 hours to validate a transaction and for real arbitrage-trading you need then much luck because of the volatility to buy cheap and sell high on other exchange, or am I wrong?

www.Bitcoin-Tools.de - Price Alert & Calculator [OUTDATED!]
A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
Canaanite

Activity: 246

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:30:41 PM

But is arbitrage-trading really possible with bitcoins? I mean the network needs about 1-3 hours to validate a transaction and for real arbitrage-trading you need then much luck because of the volatility to buy cheap and sell high on other exchange, or am I wrong?

I dont see a reason why arbitrage wont be possible at bitcoin..
You need accounts at as many exchanges, and with some simple Algo-trading there can be a nice non-risky profit,
Its a matter of time before people will get on it
blksith0

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:01:31 PM

It's because it's not convenient at all to get USD into BTC-e.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:09:38 PM

It's because it's not convenient at all to get USD into BTC-e.

THIS

The 110$ is the last price since your last visit, always refresh !! i miss a heartbeat everytime

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:17:32 PM

It costs about 3.5% - 4% to go Dwolla -> MtGox -> OKpay -> BTC-e, or about 3.5% using AurumXchange.  So as long as the spread is greater than those costs, arbitrage away.   For example, the spread between the bid at Bitfloor and the ask at BTC-e is almost 11% (right now)!  I have bitcoins already waiting at Bitfloor and dollars sitting at BTC-e.  Buy at BTC-e, sell at Bitfloor - instant profit.  
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:22:08 PM

https://cointhink.com/

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
Jessi

Activity: 333

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 10:02:14 PM

But how can this work, if I sell for example at 11PM at Mt.Gox for 142$ (meanwhile at BTC-E the price is at 132$) and then I send the $ over some different Exchanges to BTC-E to buy there new Bitcoins. I may don´t need any time, but after buying the Bitcoins there for about lets say also 132$ and try to send them to Mt.Gox, they need about 3 hours to validate. What happens if the price is falling there to 120$? Then you loose. How could then arbitrage-trading a possibility at Bitcoin-environment if there such large delays for validating each transaction?

www.Bitcoin-Tools.de - Price Alert & Calculator [OUTDATED!]
A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:07:13 PM

But how can this work, if I sell for example at 11PM at Mt.Gox for 142$ (meanwhile at BTC-E the price is at 132$) and then I send the $ over some different Exchanges to BTC-E to buy there new Bitcoins. I may don´t need any time, but after buying the Bitcoins there for about lets say also 132$ and try to send them to Mt.Gox, they need about 3 hours to validate. What happens if the price is falling there to 120$? Then you loose. How could then arbitrage-trading a possibility at Bitcoin-environment if there such large delays for validating each transaction?

You can have reserves on all the exchanges, that will allow you to execute orders in opposite directions simultaneously... And after that you transfer funds and wait for 3 hours... and then do it again, etc.

redwraith

Activity: 188
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:00:28 AM

You can have reserves on all the exchanges, that will allow you to execute orders in opposite directions simultaneously... And after that you transfer funds and wait for 3 hours... and then do it again, etc.

Exactly.  You need bitcoins on all exchanges ready to sell (for me, Bitfloor and MtGox).
WeTradeCoins

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 02:12:10 AM

This happens because its a PITA to put money inside BTC-E... Main reason to use BTC-E atm is to trade LTCs with BTCs or visa versa

www.WeMineLTC.com   0% FEE |   PPLNS  |   SSL  |   STRATUM  |  FULL DDoS PROTECTION LTC POOL!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: