Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:13:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU mining question  (Read 914 times)
shywolf91 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:17:41 PM

Hello I want to set up cpu mining on a HP Pavilion Slimline s3620f PC desktop. Is that possible? How can I do it, and what program can I use?

also I know GPU mining is better and I have another desktop that does gpu mining throughout the day, but I cannot leave that computer on during the night.

I plan to use this old hp desktop to mine during the night if possible. Maybe mine 24/7 if possible.

Here are the specs of the desktop:

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:45:46 PM

Don't. CPU mining will get you two things these days: jack and squat. You will make a cent or two per month mining BTC with that CPU. Not a bitcent or two, a USD cent. If you're lucky.  Likewise, nVidia GPUs are not good for mining.

Mining puts stress on components, which increases heat inside the case, which adds yet more stress to the components.  Those slimline PCs are a bitch to keep cool even when you're not doing CPU or GPU intensive operations. I know, I've owned a couple.  Good little entry-level, general purpose PCs, good for browsing, Microsoft Office, watching movies, but not much else. They make an OK DLNP media streamer if you attach some USB hard drives to them.

if you want to use that box for mining, pre-order an ASIC device and run it off that PC. that's the only way that machine will generate any bitcoins for you.

shywolf91 (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:51:00 PM

Don't. CPU mining will get you two things these days: jack and squat. You will make a cent or two per month mining BTC with that CPU. Not a bitcent or two, a USD cent. If you're lucky.  Likewise, nVidia GPUs are not good for mining.

Mining puts stress on components, which increases heat inside the case, which adds yet more stress to the components.  Those slimline PCs are a bitch to keep cool even when you're not doing CPU or GPU intensive operations. I know, I've owned a couple.  Good little entry-level, general purpose PCs, good for browsing, Microsoft Office, watching movies, but not much else. They make an OK DLNP media streamer if you attach some USB hard drives to them.

if you want to use that box for mining, pre-order an ASIC device and run it off that PC. that's the only way that machine will generate any bitcoins for you.

What is an ASIC device? How much are they? Thanks.
Tekkna

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:06:20 AM

Actually, I think you actually end up loosing money mining with CPU, due to electricity prices.

ButterFly Labs is finally (finally) close to shipping, they shipped to a developer (good enough for me). They have taken forever to ship though, and you may have to wait a while to actually receive your unit.

BTC: 15Yb897j2Yrbk1GU5Uwwhg5PFBMXeUAmhS  | I sell $5 Amazon Gift Codes | I also build websites

shywolf91 (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:48:04 AM

What is butterfly labs?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:52:45 AM

What is butterfly labs?

They sell "bitcoin miners" which are suppose to mine at 50 gh/s. But cost $2,499.
PCgameguy

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:59:23 AM

What is an ASIC device? How much are they? Thanks.

An ASIC is an Application-Specific Integrated Circuit.  They are designed to do a specific task efficiently.  In this case, he is talking about a Bitcoin Mining ASIC, which is a device designed specifically to mine BTC.  Their price can vary from a few hundred USD to thousands depending on how much performance you want and how good of a performance to cost ratio you want.
holy_cow

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:02:36 AM

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think Litecoin CPU mining can be profitable.
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:20:46 AM

yeah, a lot of single-GPU BTC miners have switched over to CPU+GPU LTC mining because they were making SFA (Sweet EFF All) mining bitcoin. As a result, the popular LTC mining pools have seen the pool hashrate jump. But, you can make about a litecoin a day with a single GPU pushing aorund 180Khash (LTC measures mining performance in kilohash/sec not megahash/sec like BTC).  I mine on a 6770 plus an amd 6 core Phenom X6 1055T, so I am getting around 205Kh/sec and make around a litecoin a day with it.  Better than the 0.03BTC i was making every 40-48 hours with just the GPU.

Anyway, ASICs are being produces by a couple of manufacturers. of the 3 that have claimed to be building them, only Avalon has actually shipped to customers. Butterfly Labs claims to be in final testing phase and has either shipped ONE unit to a developer, or is operating that one unit on that guy's behalf in their lab, not sure what the real story there is.  ASICMiner is the 3rd company producing devices, but they are building them for their own mining pool and not selling them, although there are rumours that they may put some of their early units up on ebay or something. Again, take that with a grain of salt, since it's 2nd/3rd/4th hand "buzz".

There are several other websites that have cropped up claiming to be taking orders, like Cedar-Tec, PrimeASIC, etc, but they have either been proven scams, or are considered very scam-tacular.

Personally, I have a a few hundred invested at Butterfly Labs for a pair of their 4.5Gigahash "Jalapeno" ASIC devices. Still waiting for them to ship.

Now, we've primed you with enough names and references to open a search engine and do some research on your own.

mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:25:31 AM

Use cpu pooler miner. It is a program. Google it.

Please answer the following question:

Why are you mining?

tiesto

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:39:10 AM

What is butterfly labs?

They sell "bitcoin miners" which are suppose to mine at 50 gh/s. But cost $2,499.

Those who made the most money out of a gold rush were those who sold tools to miners
Tekkna

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:05:15 AM

What is butterfly labs?

Those who made the most money out of a gold rush were those who sold tools to miners

Well, not the most, but certainly the most consistent. But I don't really think you can compare mining gold and bitcoins(well, I mean, if you really want to ), the risk is there, but quite different.

BTC: 15Yb897j2Yrbk1GU5Uwwhg5PFBMXeUAmhS  | I sell $5 Amazon Gift Codes | I also build websites

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: