Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:06:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amir Taaki needs to stop talking about bitcoins  (Read 10646 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:00:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbkxRbTEgoE

I found this video. Let me just say, Amir Takki is a great developer but he can't go talking about and I probably paraphrasing "...it is bringing money laundering from big people to the common people..". This is exactly what type of labels we don't want on bitcoins. Everyone needs to stay away from the "launder" word. Also he talked about how "3-d printing guns" is the way to solve issues with fraud in the bitcoin world. He is a complete rebel, and should not be affiliated with the community. The host even at one point basically had to treat him like a kid and tell him to wait his turn. He is using words that would scare people away. Amir is a great developer, he knows how bitcoin is the future and his passion is amazing. Just the way he presents himself is a little far from what we need in the community to be our voice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:09:00 AM

Well how do you propose to stop him?

Free market  = anyone can talk about bitcoins

People can dress how they want.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:50:14 AM

I found this video. Let me just say, Amir Takki is a great developer but he can't go talking about and I probably paraphrasing "...it is bringing money laundering from big people to the common people..". This is exactly what type of labels we don't want on bitcoins. Everyone needs to stay away from the "launder" word. Also he talked about how "3-d printing guns" is the way to solve issues with fraud in the bitcoin world. He is a complete rebel, and should not be affiliated with the community. The host even at one point basically had to treat him like a kid and tell him to wait his turn. He is using words that would scare people away. Amir is a great developer, he knows how bitcoin is the future and his passion is amazing. Just the way he presents himself is a little far from what we need in the community to be our voice.

Actually no.

Aside from his visual presentation (which I guess he has his own slightly odd style.. but w/e) his delivery and answers were spot on in this interview. If this is how he can handle public speaking in front of a camera with an earpiece and in the face of heat from three other people, I don't mind it if he takes over every single interview ever done about Bitcoin.

He did an awesome job in this interview. That's right, awesome job.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
computerlamp

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:20:47 AM

I think he did a really good job.

The only thing is when the Indian guy started saying that governments would want a slice of the pie,  is saying they would have to earn their slice instead of taking it from the population. People could voluntarily donate to certain sections if they want or those services could be privatized.

But now that's just nitpicking. Amir did a lot better then the last interview. This one was pretty great, also any press is good press!

I don't care what they label us getting people to understand it is what's important. Labels might slow growth but I believe the people can wake up evaluate it themselves and draw their own conclusions.
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:24:57 AM

also any press is good press!

Very False, this was bad press and might have ruined some people views of bitcoins. Plus are you going to take an outspoken rebel as serious, as he should be presenting himself too.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:58:36 AM

also any press is good press!

Very False, this was bad press and might have ruined some people views of bitcoins. Plus are you going to take an outspoken rebel as serious, as he should be presenting himself too.

If you think you can do it better, stop whining and go do it better.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Bytas

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:04:25 AM

lol wut.

What does 3D printing guns have to do with bitcoin?
I don't like this guy.
If we profile bitcoin as something that will be used to FIGHT the state, the state will fight back.
I'm not here to fight any state, i'm not here to evade taxes, i'm here because bitcoin is a better monetary system than the dollar or euro and is quite possibly the money of the future.
Evolution, not revolution.
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:30:51 AM

If we profile bitcoin as something that will be used to FIGHT the state, the state will fight back.
I'm not here to fight any state, i'm not here to evade taxes, i'm here because bitcoin is a better monetary system than the dollar or euro and is quite possibly the money of the future.
Evolution, not revolution.

thats like selling guns but dont want anything to do with war and death

Grin
richie88

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:10:55 PM

I wish he'd wear a shirt. As shallow as it is, appearance makes a world of difference to the general public.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:23:08 PM

I wish he'd wear a shirt. As shallow as it is, appearance makes a world of difference to the general public.

Not quite sure if I should laugh at you or cry for you...
Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:39:54 PM

I agree Bitcoin needs better PR, but maybe he wouldn't have gotten the interview if he didn't talk about those things, though.

Lots of 'light news' shows just want quick cliche talking points that are easy to understand - in Bitcoin's case those are "laundering", "drugs", "gambling" and "terrorism".

I'd bet if he said he refused to discuss anything like that then they would just keep looking around until they found someone who would Tongue

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:40:15 PM

He should have worn one layer of clean clothes.  He looks like he hasn't washed in a while or spent much time indoors.
lettucebee

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:55:13 PM

Amir projects a powerful persona.  He is rough-looking to our eyes who have been trained by television to see only beautiful, tidy-looking people.

But his street image actually worked here because his entire message is shattering paradigms--all paradigms.

▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████▀              ▀█████
▄████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▀████▄
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
▀█████▄    ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
█▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████████▀  ▄█
██▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█████▀  ▄██
███▄  ▀█████▄    ▀█▀  ▄███
▀███▄  ▀█████▄     ▄███▀
▀████▄  ▀████▀  ▄████▀
█████▄  ▀▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄  ▄█████▀
▀█████  █████▀
▀████████▀
██████
▀██▀
E R N
               ▄▄█████████▄▄
           ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
        ▄███████▀▀       ▀▀███████▄
       █████▀▀               ▀▀█████
     ▄████▀    ▄▄█████████▄▄    ▀████▄
    ████▀   ▄█████████████████▄   ▀████
   ████    █████████████████████    ████
 █████    ███████  ▀█████████████    █████
█████    █████████    ▀███████████    █████
████    ▄██████████▄     ▀████████▄    ████
████    █████████████       ███████    ████
████    ▀██████████▀     ▄████████▀    ████
█████    █████████    ▄███████████    █████
 █████    ███████  ▄█████████████    █████
           █████████████████████
            ▀█████████████████▀
               ▀▀█████████▀▀
████
████

████
████

████
████

████
████
TOKEN SALE
AIRDROP
                              ████
                              ████

████
          ████            ████  ████

████            ████  ████
          ████  ████  ████  ████  ████

████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
  ▬▬   GET IN TOUCH   ▬▬ 
TELEGRAM  FACEBOOK  TWITTER
YOUTUBE   INSTAGRAM
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:17:20 PM

I found this video. Let me just say, Amir Takki is a great developer but he can't go talking about and I probably paraphrasing "...it is bringing money laundering from big people to the common people..". This is exactly what type of labels we don't want on bitcoins.
I wouldn't be so sure. Talking about it is more a strategic question. Unless you're a masochist, you want to have the option of controlling your own money, even if you do not intend to exercise that option in the foreseeable future. I would phrase it differently though, and ask people how well they want to be able to defend themselves in case their government turns tyrannical. To an economist, I would ask how else he proposes to fix the principal-agent dilemma. There are plenty of people with which this will hit the right buttons.

It's all about how you put it. A while ago, this video circulated. Let me quote from it:

Quote from: Stossel
It lets people evade taxes...
Quote from: Mangu-Ward
Well, I guess my response would be amen to that!
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:38:02 PM

Perhaps we should start a kickstarteresque fund for him to agree to never do another public bitcoin related talk or interview. He's damaged the image of Bitcoin many times before, and he will just continue to do so.
bitbadger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:45:40 PM

If he does want to wear a hoodie in public, then at least give it a wash first. He looks like he's just emerged from a squat.

Which he probably has.

BaronMcG

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:49:10 PM

Perhaps we should start a kickstarteresque fund for him to agree to never do another public bitcoin related talk or interview. He's damaged the image of Bitcoin many times before, and he will just continue to do so.

while i've yet to watch this new piece i did find the last one (i think it was) an embaressment, sometimes i think they pick people like him to share there views/talk about bitcoin in order to do bitcoin a disservice, i mean if you wanted to ruin the image of bitcoin in a subtle way then you start by giving people like amir facetime on tv to make a complete arse out of himself on a serious subject.

lets face it, whoever approached him to talk about it has probably done there research and knows that if you want to make bitcoin look like the terrorists favorite way to launder money, buy drugs, acquire firearms, bypass financial sanctions and attack the man then amir is probably the best person to do that. for that reason and that reason alone the bitcoin community would do itself a great service to distance themselves from him.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:50:14 PM

Actually no.

Aside from his visual presentation (which I guess he has his own slightly odd style.. but w/e) his delivery and answers were spot on in this interview. If this is how he can handle public speaking in front of a camera with an earpiece and in the face of heat from three other people, I don't mind it if he takes over every single interview ever done about Bitcoin.

He did an awesome job in this interview. That's right, awesome job.

Totally agree.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:56:27 PM

About the money laundering talk.

Amir started off with a premise and that is, hey, it you're gonna let big banks launder money then why not little people?
bitbadger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:58:27 PM

Amir projects a powerful persona.  He is rough-looking to our eyes who have been trained by television to see only beautiful, tidy-looking people.

But his street image actually worked here because his entire message is shattering paradigms--all paradigms.
I think the way out appearance is to position himself as a man of the people against the banksters in suits which everyone hates, so that's probably a good move.

Though I think he's overdone the look in that interview.  He looks a bit like Rick out of that BBC 80s comedy The Young Ones.

But I thought he performed better than in some interviews, he's getting better with practice.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: