Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:52:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [LTC] [ANN] Physical Litecoins by CryptoVest (Project on hold)  (Read 12938 times)
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:32:23 AM

UPDATE: ^^^ Newest Design  ^^^

I am excited to announce that I am finalizing the designs and talking with a reputable tamper proof hologram company to make a physical Litecoin!!!

Security: I am using a very expensive high security tamper proof hologram to secure each private key. It will be made with a high DPI dot matrix printer with several security features that will make it nearly impossible to forge. On top of that, our hologram will be registered in a database with all the reputable high security tamper proof hologram companies that make these things, and they will refuse to make it for anyone but me.

As an added security protection, there will be a window on the back of each coin that reveals the firstbits so you can look the address up on any block explorer to ensure it hasn't been redeemed. That way you can have peace of mind when buying and selling the coins that it is actually loaded with LTCs!!

All private keys will be created with a freshly installed OS and transferred immediately to an offline computer. When each coin is made, the private key data will be destroyed. I will be the only one that ever comes into contact with the private keys, and you can be sure that they'll be destroyed effectively, leaving the only back up of said private key hidden under the tamper proof hologram.

Coin Type:
First batch will be nickel plated. 1 OZ silver rounds to follow shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately all denominations will not be made at launch, as it is too costly for me. However, I plan to get at least every denomination shown above done over the coming months.

Expected Release:
Soonish  Smiley

What I need from you:
Your opinion on the design and what denominations you would like to be able to buy.

I'd like to thank Casascius for the inspiration to undertake this project! https://www.casascius.com/

Perhaps a liveCD would be safer than installing the OS? Otherwise it's awesome. I want NOW! NOW!!

Preorder?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:35:13 AM

UPDATE: ^^^ Newest Design  ^^^

I am excited to announce that I am finalizing the designs and talking with a reputable tamper proof hologram company to make a physical Litecoin!!!

Security: I am using a very expensive high security tamper proof hologram to secure each private key. It will be made with a high DPI dot matrix printer with several security features that will make it nearly impossible to forge. On top of that, our hologram will be registered in a database with all the reputable high security tamper proof hologram companies that make these things, and they will refuse to make it for anyone but me.

As an added security protection, there will be a window on the back of each coin that reveals the firstbits so you can look the address up on any block explorer to ensure it hasn't been redeemed. That way you can have peace of mind when buying and selling the coins that it is actually loaded with LTCs!!

All private keys will be created with a freshly installed OS and transferred immediately to an offline computer. When each coin is made, the private key data will be destroyed. I will be the only one that ever comes into contact with the private keys, and you can be sure that they'll be destroyed effectively, leaving the only back up of said private key hidden under the tamper proof hologram.

Coin Type:
First batch will be nickel plated. 1 OZ silver rounds to follow shortly thereafter.

Unfortunately all denominations will not be made at launch, as it is too costly for me. However, I plan to get at least every denomination shown above done over the coming months.

Expected Release:
Soonish  Smiley

What I need from you:
Your opinion on the design and what denominations you would like to be able to buy.

I'd like to thank Casascius for the inspiration to undertake this project! https://www.casascius.com/

I like the design. I think you should sell mLTC too. I don't understand why mBTC isn't being sold. So how about 1, 10, 100 LTC coins. But also sell 1, 10, 100 mLTC. This way if LTC value goes up like BTC did you'll still be able to be in business selling mLTC.

Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:40:16 AM

You really want most if not all lettering closer to the edge, small, non-numerical and following the edge (sorry, the word to describe thus currently eludes me, but "rounded, not straight")

Also, concerning silver coins, that would be great and personally I'd pay 2-3$ more per 1oz if it was ltc, I'd buy a lot too, and I guess that price premium seems fair, so you could calculate your margin of that price. (I'll also strictly say at 4$ premium per oz, it becomes too much of a bad investment)

NFC chip in them would be so great too (obviously not the silver ones because of the smelting mess)

Thanks for the advice.  Smiley

Are these any better? I feel like they're getting worse and worse lol.. and no ones hardly giving me any feed back, so that makes me think that they are all really horrible! Undecided

I like the originals best. I think these are horrible. These look like Anoncoins or something.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:41:15 AM

how about these ones? i found that pic on reddit..

See? Perfect. The best coins are really simple like that. That should be the design.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:44:01 AM

Just put a nicely engraved LITECOIN on top,
and something nioce & clever in the bottom.

Also on the round side you can see that the coins have ones and zeross  Cool

I agree although I think it should be on the back. I think on the front it should just be an L logo we are all familiar with. I think the different coins should have slightly different designs on the back so we know it's 1 LTC, 10 LTC, etc.

I think when it gets to 100 LTC it might be better to go with a larger coin, similar to how silver dollars are larger. So the sizes should not be the same so they each have a unique feel in the hand, this way a blind person knows how much it is by the weight and feel.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:47:27 AM

Man, it almost seems like I'm never going to come up with a design that everyone likes :\

To get these made will be thousands and thousands of dollars, so I need something most people will like so I can sell a few and don't waste a lot of money.

So you guys want something that looks.. for lack of better words.. more like a coin?

Ok, back to the drawing board...

Don't just focus on look, it's not just look. It's how it feels in the hand, how it sounds, all of that is a factor. You gotta get a coin which is just the right size. I'd sayit should be the size of a half dollar or a quarter to start. mLTC should be a bit smaller in size and lighter in weight.

So when you start you should remember that if you want the flexibility to branch into mLTC you have to start with the heavier bigger coins and make those the most unique but then the smaller coins don't have to be as unique because no one pays much attention to those coins.

You also want people to buy the biggest most expensive coins, so make those the blinged out unique looking and make the really simple basic coins for the majority.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:50:00 AM

A simpler design based on your recommendations, I actually like this one the best so far: Wink

Also, notice that because I'm not making this in a 3D modeling program, my coin probably will not look as nice as the coin you guys posted earlier as an example.

After it's in its true form on a coin it will look similar... it won't actually be as colorful as this. The people making the coins will do the 3d stuff for me, I just need to give them some guidelines of a design to work off of.

Get rid of the words "One Litecoin" because not everyone can read that. Just put 1 or 1 LTC.

This saves space and simplifies because we are going to be used to seeing numbers and LTC, not "Litecoin"
Luckybit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:52:42 AM

Really like those. If you want a numerical value on , perhaps a relatively small embossed number top right or left.

I like the design but yeah I think letters should be avoided when you can use numbers. What if you give the coin to someone who can't speak good english or who is an immigrant? They don't read so what good is all that? Put 1LTC and everyone will know exactly how much it is and not only that but later on you can put 1mLTC and continue making coins. If you put 1 Lite Coin well what about the mLite Coin?
Hawk72

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:06:07 AM

Good point on numbers.  Lets assume this is an international currency, hence no English.  Numbers and the name(s) - Litecoin and CryptoVest (slightly better than CoinHoarder).

I might recommend a printing date - eg in format YYYY-MM.

I have an idea for the reverse (or maybe the obverse for a litecoin) of the coin - you should check out the original 2 pound coin - it depited the progress of mankind from the iron age to the internet. I could easily picture circuitry on a litecoin!

Personally for me it is a novelty, I would be in the market for the lower denominations only - probably only the 1 LTC.  Having a 1,000 LTC coin floating around would be a great way to lose 1,000 LTC.  For me (and my kids) at least.
matauc12

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:03:03 AM

Holy Molly fuck luckybit......
zenrith

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:17:10 AM

I would certainly buy a few ltc coins.  They looks very cool and give the feeling of old style Savings Bonds that grandma would give you when you were a kid.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:34:55 AM

Making all the denominations look the same is a bad terrible idea.

Please make the design of each denomination unique in an obvious way. All the coins look exactly the same except for some tiny writing. Imagine pulling change out of your pocket and every coin looks like a quarter. Nobody wants to read the text on a coin to figure out how much it is worth.

I like the L logo, but it could be in the background with a large number over it. Or if you want every coin to have a big L, make each background unique. Or you could use a different metal for each denomination.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:49:42 AM

The design looks good! I think you just need to make a 1 LTC coin and a 10 LTC silver coin. Count me in for some!

FatMagic

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:22:54 PM

A simpler design based on your recommendations, I actually like this one the best so far: Wink

Also, notice that because I'm not making this in a 3D modeling program, my coin probably will not look as nice as the coin you guys posted earlier as an example.

After it's in its true form on a coin it will look similar... it won't actually be as colorful as this. The people making the coins will do the 3d stuff for me, I just need to give them some guidelines of a design to work off of.

Get rid of the words "One Litecoin" because not everyone can read that. Just put 1 or 1 LTC.

This saves space and simplifies because we are going to be used to seeing numbers and LTC, not "Litecoin"

I agree with Luckybit - simpler is better. Less text to clutter it, looks nice. Just compare to Cas BTC coins - they are simple, have a latin word, the mint year and value. That's it. Simple and beautiful.

matauc12

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:32:57 PM

Please make the design of each denomination unique in an obvious way. All the coins look exactly the same except for some tiny writing. Imagine pulling change out of your pocket and every coin looks like a quarter. Nobody wants to read the text on a coin to figure out how much it is worth.

I like the L logo, but it could be in the background with a large number over it. Or if you want every coin to have a big L, make each background unique. Or you could use a different metal for each denomination.
You are not gonna put those coins in pocket and dig through your pocket to buy a bag of chips and a redbull buddy....
matauc12

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:36:27 PM

I agree with Luckybit - simpler is better. Less text to clutter it, looks nice. Just compare to Cas BTC coins - they are simple, have a latin word, the mint year and value. That's it. Simple and beautiful.
I dont see how there is too much text there. Putting numerical value curved on the edge would look funky and would use too little space and look like a deserted text. I agree less is better put putting 1 ltc on the edge would be far too little.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:12:18 PM

You are not gonna put those coins in pocket and dig through your pocket to buy a bag of chips and a redbull buddy....
Yeah, you totally missed the point. Making all the denominations look the same is half-assed. It's boring. It's unappealing. It's something that a noob with no creative ability would do. It's a mistake.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
matauc12

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:13:50 PM

Yeah, you totally missed the point. Making all the denominations look the same is half-assed. It's boring. It's unappealing. It's something that a noob with no creative ability would do. It's a mistake.
post that in casascius thread and call him a noob please.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:19:16 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2013, 04:32:43 PM by odolvlobo

Why? His coins are all different. CoinHoarder should at least do what Casascius is doing.

matauc12

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:45:12 PM

Why? His coins are all different. CoinHoarder should at least do what Casascius is doing.
They are all the same size and only recently started doing different colors/metals (well, recently in the sense that they were all the same for a long time).
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: