Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:46:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTE] The Bytecoin Information Thread  (Read 79302 times)
cpu6502

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2024, 12:24:12 PM

Also got the testnet with solo mining fixed up now as well. 2% fee again. Starting diff 1.
Code:
stratum+tcp://bytecoin.testnet.pool.chainspy.com:2001
movellan

Activity: 360
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2024, 04:28:18 PM

Thanks \for replying.

Is your release based on the original BTE implementation or Ahmed Bodi's fork?

Originally I tried to merge the latest bitcoin version into both of these. But v27 is so far away from v0.8, with thousands of git commits; I just got tied up in knots.

I tried a different approach. Forked bitcoin v27.0 and just made the bytecoin changes to that; genesis block, port numbers etc...
Found this way much easier. Hopefully moving up to v28.0 should be easy, with just a smaller number of commits to merge.

Mainnet is the original chain still of course, block 75306 at time of writing. But I never had a copy of the testnet chain, so I started a new one; block 21907 currently. It's only the testnet so I guess that doesn't matter.

So the answer to your question is neither I guess. It's based on bitcoin v27.0

Sorry, no forks accepted. Original blockchain only, please. Your subsequent messages indicate only self-interest in the mining efforts of others. Bad form, old chap.
cpu6502

View Profile
May 08, 2024, 05:18:19 PM

Sorry, no forks accepted. Original blockchain only, please. Your subsequent messages indicate only self-interest in the mining efforts of others. Bad form, old chap.

I don't really understand.

It is the original mainnet blockchain. I only mined onto the end of the stalled chain (stalled for years); first of all using the outdated version 0.8.1 and later when upgraded it to the modern 27.0 version. 1:1 copy still. (Except a few technical changes, such as addresses, magic bytes, ports etc...)

Any coins you, and anyone else, earned/mined years ago will still be spendable.
movellan

View Profile
May 08, 2024, 08:04:14 PM

It is the original mainnet blockchain. I only mined onto the end of the stalled chain (stalled for years); first of all using the outdated version 0.8.1 and later when upgraded it to the modern 27.0 version. 1:1 copy still. (Except a few technical changes, such as addresses, magic bytes, ports etc...)

OK, I'll bite. Do you have a windows compiled release?
cpu6502

View Profile
May 09, 2024, 08:47:15 AM

Well it's been a while since I've done any cross compiling (window binary built from inside linux), but I'll give it a go.
Give me a little while to figure it out, I'm confident I can do it.

movellan

View Profile
May 09, 2024, 12:40:44 PM

Well it's been a while since I've done any cross compiling (window binary built from inside linux), but I'll give it a go.
Give me a little while to figure it out, I'm confident I can do it.

Sounds good.
cpu6502

View Profile
May 09, 2024, 08:22:08 PM

Windows bytecoin v27.0.1 binaries have been built and released.

I don't own bytecoin.biz, so I've have to put them on the github release page for download:
https://github.com/bytecoin-crypto/bytecoin/releases/tag/v27.0.1

bc1c8f9db7696953511c12464a888357a1543dce5c79d5ca4cf7a7d167377f04  bytecoin-27.0.1-win64.zip
movellan

View Profile
May 10, 2024, 07:41:38 AM

I don't own bytecoin.biz, so I've have to put them on the github release page for download:

bc1c8f9db7696953511c12464a888357a1543dce5c79d5ca4cf7a7d167377f04  bytecoin-27.0.1-win64.zip

There appears to be an error in your compilation. Bytecoin Core is looking in AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin for it's data instead of AppData\Roaming\Bytecoin.
cpu6502

View Profile
May 10, 2024, 06:28:48 PM

There appears to be an error in your compilation. Bytecoin Core is looking in AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin for it's data instead of AppData\Roaming\Bytecoin.

Thank you for letting me know.
I've downloaded, unzipped and run bytecoin-qt.exe in my desktop, laptop and also a fresh Windows 11 development environment in a VM; and it starts syncing with the bytecoin network fine.

I'm using Windows 11 64bit Home edition, version 23H2. I'm unable to replicate the error this end.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to trouble you for more in-depth information what's happening. Does it start syncing or just doesn't start at all? Have you tried a custom datadir path? What version of Windows are you using etc...

Classic "works on my machine" problem.

movellan

View Profile
May 10, 2024, 07:48:13 PM

I've downloaded, unzipped and run bytecoin-qt.exe in my desktop, laptop and also a fresh Windows 11 development environment in a VM; and it starts syncing with the bytecoin network fine.

I'm using Windows 11 64bit Home edition, version 23H2. I'm unable to replicate the error this end.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to trouble you for more in-depth information what's happening. Does it start syncing or just doesn't start at all? Have you tried a custom datadir path? What version of Windows are you using etc...

Running Windows 10 Pro, x64 ver 22H2, 32G ram lots of HD space.

Error message is displayed on startup,

Error: Cannot obtain a lock on data directory C:
\Users\(computer name)\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. Bytecoin Core is probably already
running.

Have a Bitcoin Core running on that AppData directory. Current Bytecoin Core 0.8.1 is on \AppData\Roaming\Bytecoin. Copied the Bytecoin v 0.8.1 directory into C:\Program Files. Then copied over the v 27 bin to C;Program Files.

How do I get v 27 to look for it's files on \AppData\Roaming\Bytecoin?
cpu6502

View Profile
May 10, 2024, 08:15:17 PM

\Users\(computer name)\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. Bytecoin Core is probably already
running.

Have a Bitcoin Core running on that AppData directory. Current Bytecoin Core 0.8.1 is on \AppData\Roaming\Bytecoin. Copied the Bytecoin v 0.8.1 directory into C:\Program Files. Then copied over the v 27 bin to C;Program Files.

The data directory structure for v27 is totally different now from v0.8. Seems to me v27 is attempting to access the old \Roaming\Bytecoin directory and getting confused because v0.8 stuff is inside it.

What I would do is rename the current v0.8 \Bytecoin directory (say to something like Bytecoin_backup), so the \Bytecoin directory doesn't exist. Then when v27 starts up, it will create a new Bytecoin directory and use it's own structure. Of course v0.8 won't work then, but any old wallet(s) should be able to be imported once v27 is working.

And alternate idea would be to add the -datadir=<dir> parameter to bytecoin-qt.exe, for example bytecoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\mydir
However, you would need to include this everytime you start it up, or it will look somewhere else for the data directory.

Don't forget to backup your wallet if you start deleting directories.

movellan

View Profile
May 10, 2024, 10:17:02 PM

running.

The data directory structure for v27 is totally different now from v0.8. Seems to me v27 is attempting to access the old \Roaming\Bytecoin directory and getting confused because v0.8 stuff is inside it.

What I would do is rename the current v0.8 \Bytecoin directory (say to something like Bytecoin_backup), so the \Bytecoin directory doesn't exist. Then when v27 starts up, it will create a new Bytecoin directory and use it's own structure. Of course v0.8 won't work then, but any old wallet(s) should be able to be imported once v27 is working.

And alternate idea would be to add the -datadir=<dir> parameter to bytecoin-qt.exe, for example bytecoin-qt.exe -datadir=C:\mydir
However, you would need to include this everytime you start it up, or it will look somewhere else for the data directory.

Don't forget to backup your wallet if you start deleting directories.

Renaming the  Appdata\Roaming\Bytecoin directory doesn't work. Believe me, v 27 is trying to get it's data from the AppData\Roaming\BITCOIN directory. It's NOT looking in AppData\Roaming\BYTECOIN. It's looking at the WRONG directory for data. it's not going to work unless it can see the correct directory.

cpu6502

View Profile
May 11, 2024, 04:47:54 AM

Renaming the  Appdata\Roaming\Bytecoin directory doesn't work. Believe me, v 27 is trying to get it's data from the AppData\Roaming\BITCOIN directory. It's NOT looking in AppData\Roaming\BYTECOIN. It's looking at the WRONG directory for data. it's not going to work unless it can see the correct directory.

Think I've figured it out now.  Smiley
There's both data and config files. I've only changed the data path to bytecoin and not the config path.
I'm pretty busy this weekend, but should get a new binary out this week, after some testing.
movellan

View Profile
May 11, 2024, 06:22:46 AM

There's both data and config files. I've only changed the data path to bytecoin and not the config path.
I'm pretty busy this weekend, but should get a new binary out this week, after some testing.

Sounds good.
cpu6502

View Profile
May 11, 2024, 07:18:16 AM

Sounds good.

Okay, let's give this one a try.
https://github.com/bytecoin-crypto/bytecoin/releases/tag/v27.0.2
movellan

View Profile
May 11, 2024, 03:36:57 PM

Sounds good.

Okay, let's give this one a try.
https://github.com/bytecoin-crypto/bytecoin/releases/tag/v27.0.2

Up, running and synched. Good show. Now, how do I import the v 0.8.1 wallet?

cpu6502

View Profile
May 11, 2024, 04:18:43 PM

To import a legacy wallet, select File > Restore Wallet from the top left menu.

You can then File > Migrate it to the new format.

movellan

View Profile
May 11, 2024, 06:40:37 PM

Followed instructions, wallet recovered and migrated, but appears empty, no transactions recorded. I know Ihave coins in the old wallet. Any ideas appreciated.
cpu6502

View Profile
May 12, 2024, 07:05:39 AM

Followed instructions, wallet recovered and migrated, but appears empty, no transactions recorded. I know I have coins in the old wallet. Any ideas appreciated.

That's weird. You can do a rescanblockchain command from the Window -> Console to look for historic transactions, but this should of been executed when your restored the wallet anyway. Make sure you have the correct wallet selected if you have multi-wallets opened, from the pull-down bar at the top. The pull-down isn't there if only 1 wallet is opened.

The method I used to move my coins over however was:

Created a fresh new wallet in v27.
Backed up this new wallet.
Created a new base58 (legacy) address inside this wallet.
Copied this address to a txt file and saved.
Closed v27 client.
Opened V0.8 client.
Sent a few coins to the new v27 base58 (legacy) address.
Closed v0.8.
Opened v27 and checked had received coins.

Once I checked it with a few coins, I repeated this time with the remaining balance.

v0.8 can only understand base58 (legacy) addresses (starting with number 8), it won't understand segwit and taproot Bech32 ones, so you won't be able to send to those from v0.8

movellan

View Profile
May 16, 2024, 03:59:10 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2024, 05:40:03 AM by movellan

Followed instructions, wallet recovered and migrated, but appears empty, no transactions recorded. I know I have coins in the old wallet. Any ideas appreciated.

That's weird. You can do a rescanblockchain command from the Window -> Console to look for historic transactions, but this should of been executed when your restored the wallet anyway. Make sure you have the correct wallet selected if you have multi-wallets opened, from the pull-down bar at the top. The pull-down isn't there if only 1 wallet is opened.

The method I used to move my coins over however was:

Created a fresh new wallet in v27.
Backed up this new wallet.
Created a new base58 (legacy) address inside this wallet.
Copied this address to a txt file and saved.
Closed v27 client.
Opened V0.8 client.
Sent a few coins to the new v27 base58 (legacy) address.
Closed v0.8.
Opened v27 and checked had received coins.

Once I checked it with a few coins, I repeated this time with the remaining balance.

v0.8 can only understand base58 (legacy) addresses (starting with number Cool, it won't understand segwit and taproot Bech32 ones, so you won't be able to send to those from v0.8

All OK now. Had to use an older version wallet for restore and migrate. Totals look OK, transactions seem to have transferred correctly.

I only have 2 peers connected. Are any others available?

The machine this node is on gets its IP address changed at least once daily. Will this be a problem?  TIA and thanks for your efforts in getting this coin up and running again. Please provide an address where I can leave a token of my appreciation. Now all we need is to get it listed on an exchange.

P.S. Is there a block explorer for BTE available?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: