Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:42:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Onboard GPU for normal Work while mining with and AMD GPU?  (Read 29090 times)
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:00:42 PM

On board GPU won't be recognized by the mining software if there are other GPU's in the PCI-E slots. Thats my experience regardless of OS and Mining software. Must be a mobo thing!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 12:06:05 PM

It is a motherboard thing, most of them, not all but the vast majority, will support only onboard or only PCIE graphics at one time. Adding a graphics card to the slot will automatically disable the onboard chipset and make the card the default. Even still, most onboard graphics engines are weak anyway.

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:15:09 PM

Kjaneway, here is a photo of me utilizing my IGP for dedicated graphics for my monitor, while mining 2 5850's.

This should work for you regardless, it is a sandy bridge, it should work. Lets keep going at it, we'll get it to work. Btw, my crossfire is hooked up but disabled, so don't pay any attention to it.

KJaneway (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:34:52 PM

My Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 Pro4-M

@ pekv: Nice photo: Can you overclock your cards with the cgminer?

If you like my advise, i would be thankful getting a small donation at:
1Hvpgt5U6EgrWX1WpA25W6mRoH1Ltr8ydm
pekv2

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:40:20 PM

My Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 Pro4-M

@ pekv: Nice photo: Can you overclock your cards with the cgminer?

Do you have the latest bios installed on your board? Also, I'd recommend trying that 13.2B7 AMD driver.

Mine is an asrock z75 pro3 bios p1.80. Yup, I can overclock them. They are overclocked at 944/1180 for both. 72f degrees or so.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=162345.msg1707321#msg1707321

Edit:
I don't know how much different cgminer bitcoin is from cgminer litecoin. But, for cgminer litecoin, I use a cgminer.conf file for my cards. Let us know if you're using a cgminer.conf file for your configuration or switches in a bat file.
KJaneway (OP)

Activity: 157

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:44:36 PM

until now i make everything manually. I will give these drivers and the conf file a try.

If you like my advise, i would be thankful getting a small donation at:
1Hvpgt5U6EgrWX1WpA25W6mRoH1Ltr8ydm
pekv2

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:46:15 PM

until now i make everything manually. I will give these drivers and the conf file a try.

k, kewl. Yes, use the conf file to overclock the card/cards.
akipfer

Activity: 294

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:04:38 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2013, 08:21:37 AM by akipfer

First you need dummy plug for your card.
http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

Install the graphics card, boot up the operating system with your monito plugged into the GFX card, install amd driver.

Jump into UEFI aka bios, set graphics to IGP, not auto.

Shutdown, install the dummy plug.

Boot up the system, install your Intel graphics driver, reboot.

You should be set to mine off your AMD card, while being on the IGP for your monitor.

Yes, this can be done, I am and have been doing it for a while on my I3-2100 and two 5850's.

Hey, good tip men, hey can i use the 47Oms? i have some here on my electronics box, always keep this kinda stuff haha
they are new, bough for some stuff but these i never used(doesn't matter if its used but...) i have other too, some on K scale too

so can i use 47Oms resistor?

Edit #1-> i did the dummy plug Cheesy just use 2 47oms in series bettwen 95 and 97 oms(i check it out with multimeter to be sure of that(don't wanna hurt my babes haha)

hey, when i Open GPU-Z says Intel OpenCl Bug detecded, same thing happended before, i did this http://notepad.patheticcockroach.com/3624/fixing-a-catalyst-opencl-mayhem-catalyst-13-1-13-3b2/
and fixed that for my amd gpus...
bot no that doesn't work, i did already unninstall all, like that link says, now is not working...
And if i Open Guiminer/cgminer i get....guess what i get....a nicely BSOD
yah, that's right....some about atikmdag.sys some like that...

i wish i don't have those issues, but i have Sad

can u help us to solve this? i'm trying to put both xfx HD7950 to mine, while using my PC for browsing or even gaming (like CS, Point blank, minecraft, maybe even crysis 2 + bucks of tweaks to make it run on hd2500 more smoothly haha)

BTC 1LDZwmLNULuEKPANry5DTbH5seLKwph8ua         | [WebSite off] coopersite.com.br | Aceitaremos Moedas como pgto | Procurando franqueados!
LTC  LYMQwZbBHK2kdD7SJnxCnn8NcwbiFAmgnV        | [Twitter] https://twitter.com/allankipfer
[M.B.] Rules - [M.B.]-[Mercado Bitcoin] Esta da hora!   | [Facebook] http://www.facebook.com/allan.kipfer.tbo
akipfer

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:29:06 AM

help please, is my mobo ok for that?

i5 3330 + Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

i can enable iGPU on onboard, and set as main video output, do i need to say as main(primary GFX)?

any advice would be great if not awesome

BTC 1LDZwmLNULuEKPANry5DTbH5seLKwph8ua         | [WebSite off] coopersite.com.br | Aceitaremos Moedas como pgto | Procurando franqueados!
LTC  LYMQwZbBHK2kdD7SJnxCnn8NcwbiFAmgnV        | [Twitter] https://twitter.com/allankipfer
[M.B.] Rules - [M.B.]-[Mercado Bitcoin] Esta da hora!   | [Facebook] http://www.facebook.com/allan.kipfer.tbo
akipfer

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:31:31 AM

First you need dummy plug for your card.
http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

Install the graphics card, boot up the operating system with your monito plugged into the GFX card, install amd driver.

Jump into UEFI aka bios, set graphics to IGP, not auto.

Shutdown, install the dummy plug.

Boot up the system, install your Intel graphics driver, reboot.

You should be set to mine off your AMD card, while being on the IGP for your monitor.

Yes, this can be done, I am and have been doing it for a while on my I3-2100 and two 5850's.

do i need one dummy plug for both my HD7950 ? or just the one? in the first gfx? (upper to bottom)

pekv2

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:39:05 PM

@akipfer
I use what is recommended in that link. I dunno anything about the resisters you mentioned. Just follow the guide I suppose, you should be fine.

help please, is my mobo ok for that?

i5 3330 + Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

i can enable iGPU on onboard, and set as main video output, do i need to say as main(primary GFX)?

any advice would be great if not awesome

Only why I can tell you is to try it. Takes less than a few minutes. That's how I found out, I tried it. Just as explained above in this thread is how it is done.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170470.msg1774223#msg1774223

do i need one dummy plug for both my HD7950 ? or just the one? in the first gfx? (upper to bottom)

I dunno about your setup, but I for my setup have to use a dummy plug for each of my 5850's. All I can say is try.
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:43:21 AM

I have the first generation Clarkdale Core i5 processor. It has graphics on the processor too. Is there any way to use the onboard graphics for display and keep the card dedicated for mining?

I followed the instructions above and have actually hooked up a second monitor with the graphics card; but cgminer -n shows no GPU detected.

pekv2

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 01:14:15 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 10:52:12 AM by pekv2

I have the first generation Clarkdale Core i5 processor. It has graphics on the processor too. Is there any way to use the onboard graphics for display and keep the card dedicated for mining?

I followed the instructions above and have actually hooked up a second monitor with the graphics card; but cgminer -n shows no GPU detected.

Maybe generation is the problem with some? If I recall correctly, my i3 is a 2nd gen.

If anyone ever wants to compare. My i3 > http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:10:52 PM

Should work with Clarkdale OK - it's your board that's likely the issue.  I run the onboard video with both a 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen CPU (Pentium G620 and i3-3225).

Likely the BIOS on your board doesn't allow running the iGPU along with other GPUs - it's not really something people have wanted to do until recently.

I'm running the i3-3225 on an old P8B WS - using the HD4000 for "work", and the 2x7950 for mining.  No need for dummy plugs either.  Heck, I even mine Litecoins on the HD4000 when I'm not at the computer, every little helps!
BlazinBeaches

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 09:36:45 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 04:08:53 PM by BlazinBeaches

You have to first boot from the graphics card and install the AMD drivers.  I've tried with 12.6 and newer, also make sure to install SDK.

Then boot into bios and set the mobo to IGPU and save and exit

Next pull the plug from the back of the video card and plug it into your mobo.

Then put a single dummy plug on the video card that is in the first (main) PCI-E x16 slot.  Yes it works even if you are using 1x risers as that's all I use.  No the other cards don't need dummy plugs. (though, some users have reported to need dummy plugs on all cards.)

Then reboot

Then control all settings from within cgminer as I've found MSI afterburner will lose voltage control etc.

Voltage control (if your card supports it), speed settings, fans, etc all work if used in cgminer, verified through GPU-Z.

This has worked for me on both Asus and MSI Z77 mobos using Ivy Bridge CPUs.

YMMV   Cool

As for the dummy plugs I am using 100ohm resisters.  I read online anything between 75-150ohm is fine.  Make sure you get ohms and not kohms.

Here is how you make dummy plugs for any inquiring minds.  And of course you can always finish them off with some hot glue Wink
Moogle

Activity: 238

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 10:33:53 PM

Never even thought about doing this! Great guide on getting this setup though! Will give this a try later on this week on my setup

pekv2

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:45:07 AM

You have to first boot from the graphics card and install the AMD drivers.  I've tried with 12.6 and newer, also make sure to install SDK.

Then boot into bios and set the mobo to IGPU and save and exit

Next pull the plug from the back of the video card and plug it into your mobo.

Then put a single dummy plug on the video card that is in the first (main) PCI-E x16 slot.  Yes it works even if you are using 1x risers as that's all I use.  No the other cards don't need dummy plugs.

Then reboot

Then control all settings from within cgminer as I've found MSI afterburner will lose voltage control etc.

Voltage control (if your card supports it), speed settings, fans, etc all work if used in cgminer, verified through GPU-Z.

This has worked for me on both Asus and MSI Z77 mobos using Ivy Bridge CPUs.

YMMV   Cool

As for the dummy plugs I am using 100ohm resisters.  I read online anything between 75-150ohm is fine.  Make sure you get ohms and not kohms.

Here is how you make dummy plugs for any inquiring minds.  And of course you can always finish them off with some hot glue Wink

Yup, this is it, right here. to easy. Whats is weird, I tried one dummy and no dummy plugs, vs using two dummy plugs, and with only one plug, the second card is recognized but not usable, without both dummy plugs, both cards are not recognized. In my what ever situation it is, I need two DP's, one for each of my cards. weird.

These directions should be stickied some how. As more come to try and do this, this thread will be buried and post 35 will be hard to find.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:02:55 PM

Sorry to go back to the OP, but why do you want to use the IGP in the first place as opposed to one of the cards?

In my experience cgminer can easily manage the primary display by just playing around with the intensity setting of the card to still allow for completely unhindered user experience with windows and media playback (ie. nil delay in rendering 2D and video which I assume is what you meant by "normal work").

Getting a perfect balance of intensity on the display device will probably take you <5 minutes of trail and error, which seems like HOURS less effort than what you've gone through to get the IGP+Cards working to you liking.

In fact, I believe the default settings of cgminer have the intensity set to not interfere with or slow the user interface.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
pekv2

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 10:38:26 PM

why do you want to use the IGP in the first place as opposed to one of the cards?

Read the title :p.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:03:54 AM

why do you want to use the IGP in the first place as opposed to one of the cards?

Read the title :p.

Yes I saw the title, but still my question is: why?

What possible advantage would you have? I suppose you might get a few extra MH/s or KH/s (depending on the algo you're mining with) because you might be able to set the card intensity 1 value higher... but really it's not going to make a huge difference.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: