Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:18:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [FS] Bracket to mount 7 GPUs at front of Rosewill L4XXX server chassis - Updated  (Read 14208 times)
Zimmsquad

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2017, 07:43:26 PM

I would definitely recommend swapping out the stock fans with stronger fans.

Any recommendations on fans? I want it to be as cheap as possible with sufficient air flow.

I plan on running 6 gtx 1070s in the Rosewill RSV-L4500

I was planning on running these cards: 08G-P4-5173-KR

Also if you think there is a difference between blower style or non in this case design please let me know!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 02:55:39 PM

Any recommendations on fans? I want it to be as cheap as possible with sufficient air flow.

Also if you think there is a difference between blower style or non in this case design please let me know!

I purchased the Corsair SP Fans. I will update when I get mine running.
Zimmsquad

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 03:38:31 PM

Yeah definitely let me know how they work!

Also, are you swapping out just the front 3 fans or did you change out all 6 120mm fans for the corsair ones?
Eyedol-X

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 06:48:54 PM

Also, are you swapping out just the front 3 fans or did you change out all 6 120mm fans for the corsair ones?

Not enough room to have the 3 fans in the middle of the chassis with everything in it (I tried several different ways of doing it) using 7X MSI GTX 470 Gaming cards.

So I opted for better fans at the front.

Note: This configuration is ideally suited for hot air to exit the front, not intake -- that's something I didn't realize when I purchased. Now that I have one near setup and 3 more in process of ordering I'm comfortable with it that way for my use but it will be a little different looking at the back of the rig than the front lol.
Zimmsquad

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 06:54:05 PM

Not enough room to have the 3 fans in the middle of the chassis with everything in it (I tried several different ways of doing it) using 7X MSI GTX 470 Gaming cards.

Note: This configuration is ideally suited for hot air to exit the front, not intake -- that's something I didn't realize when I purchased. Now that I have one near setup and 3 more in process of ordering I'm comfortable with it that way for my use but it will be a little different looking at the back of the rig than the front lol.

So you are pulling in air from the rear near the PSU and exhausting out the front near the GPUs? If so, then this case will not have any protection from dust correct because the dust filter is only in the front
Eyedol-X

View Profile
February 07, 2017, 08:23:42 PM

So you are pulling in air from the rear near the PSU and exhausting out the front near the GPUs? If so, then this case will not have any protection from dust correct because the dust filter is only in the front

Yup, I'm going to try to setup this first one to intake air from the front and do a test but the problem is you will push all that heat from the GPU's into the PSU, Board, Memory/CPU -- I'm not sure which is the lesser of the two evils.

The kit and its instructions however have the hot air coming out the front.
baldpope

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 02:25:29 PM

Yup, I'm going to try to setup this first one to intake air from the front and do a test but the problem is you will push all that heat from the GPU's into the PSU, Board, Memory/CPU -- I'm not sure which is the lesser of the two evils.

Just throwing my .02BTC into the conversation.  Unless the fans on the cards can be reversed, you almost have to exhaust out the front of the case.  Otherwise the intake from the front fans and the exhaust (Facing the front) from the GPUs will just create some interesting thermal eddy's and not really move sufficient air in the first place.  If you're really concerned with air-flow at the rear, you could also add a few of the pci-slot exhaust fans, like these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119066

I'm not recommending that one specifically, just using as reference.

The case add-on looks great, if I was getting back into GPU mining, I'd pick this up in a heart beat.
Eyedol-X

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 04:41:10 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2017, 05:16:31 PM by Eyedol-X

Just throwing my .02BTC into the conversation.  Unless the fans on the cards can be reversed, you almost have to exhaust out the front of the case.  Otherwise the intake from the front fans and the exhaust (Facing the front) from the GPUs will just create some interesting thermal eddy's and not really move sufficient air in the first place.  If you're really concerned with air-flow at the rear, you could also add a few of the pci-slot exhaust fans, like these:

The case add-on looks great, if I was getting back into GPU mining, I'd pick this up in a heart beat.

There is an option that reverses the GPUs to point towards the back. It's not a standard option but I requested it for an additional cost.

Currently all my GPU's face the back, Good idea on the blower fan, I didn't even think of adding those in as its been years since I've used them. Don't know if they will get in the way of riser adapters or not but I'm going to look into this option.

Edit: From what I can tell, these blowers will interfere with the PCIE 1x-16x risers. Bummer.
Zimmsquad

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 08:01:56 PM

Just throwing my .02BTC into the conversation.  Unless the fans on the cards can be reversed, you almost have to exhaust out the front of the case.  Otherwise the intake from the front fans and the exhaust (Facing the front) from the GPUs will just create some interesting thermal eddy's and not really move sufficient air in the first place.  If you're really concerned with air-flow at the rear, you could also add a few of the pci-slot exhaust fans, like these:

There is an option that reverses the GPUs to point towards the back. It's not a standard option but I requested it for an additional cost.

Currently all my GPU's face the back, Good idea on the blower fan, I didn't even think of adding those in as its been years since I've used them. Don't know if they will get in the way of riser adapters or not but I'm going to look into this option.

Edit: From what I can tell, these blowers will interfere with the PCIE 1x-16x risers. Bummer.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but why would you want the graphics cards to face the motherboard? If everyone says it is best to have the case exhaust air from the side with the graphics cards on it, wouldn't we want the cards facing those fans that are exhausting hot air? By facing I mean the side with the video ports facing the front case fans.

Also, if you could clarify if this is for blower style or non that would maybe clear things up.
Eyedol-X

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 09:39:54 PM

Sorry if this is a noob question, but why would you want the graphics cards to face the motherboard? If everyone says it is best to have the case exhaust air from the side with the graphics cards on it, wouldn't we want the cards facing those fans that are exhausting hot air? By facing I mean the side with the video ports facing the front case fans.

Also, if you could clarify if this is for blower style or non that would maybe clear things up.

For a traditional cold / hot server rack environment, the cold air goes in the front and the hot air out the back. with the hot air going out the front you would have to install your chassis backwards on the hot side where it wouldn't get optimal cold air on the front side since its mounted at the back.

This kit as pictured, exhausts hot air out the front. I ordered my kit with extra parts allowing me to mount GPUs in reverse direction of the pictures where it would blow the hot air out the back as a test to see how it performs..

Zimmsquad

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 09:44:33 PM

What about if I am not using blower style cards, can I use the rack as it is pictured and have it draw in through the front (as the case is designed) and have it exhaust out the back (where the motherboard is) because then with non blower cards air is just flowing all around to my understanding
Eyedol-X

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 10:16:12 PM

What about if I am not using blower style cards, can I use the rack as it is pictured and have it draw in through the front (as the case is designed) and have it exhaust out the back (where the motherboard is) because then with non blower cards air is just flowing all around to my understanding

This is what I'm currently testing.

The short answer is you'd have to order the kit with the additional option to reverse the cards as I have. I hope to have more information regarding results this weekend but I'm waiting on a heatsink for the CPU to show up.
Zimmsquad

View Profile
February 08, 2017, 10:20:51 PM

Okay, definitely let me know because I want to order some of these drop ins but I want to make sure I order the correct version!
D8V1D

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 09:45:32 PM

PM Sent
yun9999

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 12:26:01 AM

See my review on the fans as well as my Server case installs.   You need good flow as it gets very hot in there fast but with good fans, temp for these Rosewill are phenomenal

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1761303.60

andresrp

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:34:14 PM

I purchased this case like 2 days before your post, will your bracket fit in?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155
Spotswood (OP)

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2017, 01:32:30 PM

I purchased this case like 2 days before your post, will your bracket fit in?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155

It will, but you will only be able to mount those two case fans/cages.  In order to mount a third fan, you will need to order a set of 4x fan tabs and all required fasteners, which is +$5.25

andresrp

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 06:02:10 PM

Do you have the link for the fan tab?
Spotswood (OP)

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2017, 06:23:59 PM

Do you have the link for the fan tab?

Listed on this page:  http://spotswoodcomputercases.com/wp/?page_id=1275

You can see the little black tab used to attach a fan to the extrusion in this pic:

midas28

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2017, 11:20:08 AM

Anyway to make it support two psus on the rosewill case?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: