Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:22:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks contact info?  (Read 46862 times)
farmer_boy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2010, 09:43:57 PM

I feel a disturbance in the force...

Is it a revolution coming ?
I think you need to check your Feel-Oh-Meter.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 05:21:56 AM

Talk to one of the members on the board of directors who has met with Julian he said he likes the idea and will pass it around.

Anonymous

December 02, 2010, 05:47:16 AM

Talk to one of the members on the board of directors who has met with Julian he said he likes the idea and will pass it around.

Thats great!. Did you see the asshats added him to the interpol most wanted list? Some stupid politician even asked for his execution for treason. The idiotic part is that hes not even American  Undecided   Stupid populism is stupid.

Ive heard the next leak will embarrass a major bank in the US .  It would be ironic if they started accepting bitcoin before that happens. Cheesy

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2010, 06:11:31 AM

It would be awesome.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2010, 01:09:11 PM

Fortunately, bitcoin is a distributed system, so it doesn't matter if they take out   Undecided

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 08:47:59 AM

Paypal just blocked them, and they're trying to get other US banks do the same. This would be a great moment to open bitcoin donations.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 08:57:41 AM

as much as what's going on with wikileaks is not right,
do we really think it makes sense to push bitcoins into wikileaks is making sense in the current environment?
i am scared that this poses a big risk for bitcoins to consciously go against too many and too big enemies

It would potentially be much better to first make bitcoinbe far more widespread and accepted in a safe way vs going against the big ones already now

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 09:03:44 AM

as much as what's going on with wikileaks is not right,
do we really think it makes sense to push bitcoins into wikileaks is making sense in the current environment?
i am scared that this poses a big risk for bitcoins to consciously go against too many and too big enemies

It would potentially be much better to first make bitcoinbe far more widespread and accepted in a safe way vs going against the big ones already now

One thing I have learned in this community:

You can't prevent bitcoiners from doing whatever they want. They throw caution to the wind.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 09:22:58 AM

exactly this is both, a great benefit and also a great danger .
in the wikileaks case its a great danger.

As this is an open and free forum, I can at least voice my concerns

m0mchil

Activity: 171
Merit: 127

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 09:27:21 AM

Great danger? But wait, isn't bitcoin invincible?! (Well, perhaps if it adopts random ports, protocol obfuscation, DHT bootstrapping...)

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 09:30:34 AM

Lot of little Davids versus a few Goliaths. What can the worst happen?

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 09:59:27 AM

+1, I agree completely

We know that private and government forces are actively tracing, and trying to shut down, sources of wikileaks funding through all available means of pressure.

Does it make sense to actively give multiple world governments incentive to shut down bitcoin?

No matter how symathetic wikileaks' cause...  if you care about bitcoin's success, the answer is no.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 10:00:47 AM

worst case for me would be that bitcoin businesses would be forbidden .
Even if this would be wrong this would be the end of making bitcoins what most of us want.
then there will only be a handful of davids left but overall bitcoins would be forgotten soon

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 10:08:04 AM

+1, I agree completely

We know that private and government forces are actively tracing, and trying to shut down, sources of wikileaks funding through all available means of pressure.

Does it make sense to actively give multiple world governments incentive to shut down bitcoin?

If you care about bitcoin's success, the answer is no.

That is exactly the issue.

I am so worried about the intent behind this wikileaks thread that, if i could, would only want to have "legallysafe" bitcoins in my wallet that are not connected to wikileaks or any other illegal matter.
those who want to play this aggressive game against governments can do it, but i dont want to be connected to that.

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2010, 10:18:34 AM

I am so worried about the intent behind this wikileaks thread that, if i could, would only want to have "legallysafe" bitcoins in my wallet that are not connected to wikileaks or any other illegal matter.
That's just stupid.  I don't want to have any drug money in my wallet, but that is hard.  99% of all bank notes are tainted with cocaine, according to a british study.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/464200.stm

Don't donate to Wikileaks if you don't want to.  Wikileaks is perfectly legal in most countries.  Only The US government, China and a few arab states takes measures to sensor Wikileaks.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 10:49:21 AM

There is nothing wrong with revealing the truth (i.e. from Wikileaks. In this respect, I like a lot the concept behind Wikileaks).

All I am saying is that it is suicide for bitcoins to connect with Wikileaks today, where many big powers are against.

The time is not ripe yet.

It's like a runner who wants to run a marathon. He better trains a bit before trying.

bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2010, 11:16:29 AM

I also think that they try to ban bitcoin business. But I also remember that monitoring of financial flows for combat with organized crime came only 50 years ago and it is unnatural. And that monitoring works worse and worse every year.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2010, 11:21:35 AM

In any case, I think this is the happiest opportunity that happens in any very successful project

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 04:48:23 PM

This is very well-written, and he is very well spoken...

I believe very strongly that a successful effort to supplant state money is going to be a ground-up effort. The big players in today's pink economy are going to be the last to adapt, kicking and screaming, to the new economic reality. For years before that happens, though, individuals, sole traders and small enterprises are going to be taking more and more of their income away as, simultaneously, a) the new monetary system's benefits impact more and more people, b) the inevitable institutional dumbness of big organizations makes them stumble and lag, and, c) continually eroding confidence in the state, its institutions and the entities that rely upon them drives more and more people into the new economy.

If you're reading this, you're part of the vanguard building the new economy and the new world. Mainstream acceptance will come by weight of numbers and via network effects. Who ever heard of Wikileaks or Twitter four years ago? And today we've got Admiral Chairman-of-the-Joint-Fucking-Chiefs Mullen tweeting his dismay over Wikileaks -- no doubt via the intermediation of an office full of PR analysts and bureaucrats, at extremely low relative impact.

BTW, Shadow, when they shut down the internet, I know how to build a new one. Want to help? Smiley

I agree 100%.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 04, 2010, 05:21:20 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2010, 06:36:31 PM by brucewagner

+1, I agree completely

No matter how symathetic wikileaks' cause...  if you care about bitcoin's success, the answer is no.

This is a very good point.

"PayPal Freezes WikiLeaks Account"   http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/paypal-wikileaks/

We must weigh...

---> the potential financial benefit bitcoin would give to wikileaks at This moment

vs.

---> the potential demise of bitcoin itself (or at least the impact of bitcoin being mortally wounded at this very early stage of its existence.)

I think that -- no matter how righteous anyone may feel about the work wikileaks does...

1.  They don't need that much money to do what they do.
2.  What they could potentially get via bitcoin at the moment wouldn't be a drop in the bucket of what they're receiving via other private means.
3.  Nothing wikileaks is doing is WORTH the potential demise of Bitcoin.

We don't need to make Bitcoin, or each of US for that matter, into targets of world governments.   Especially not so early in Bitcoin's life.

Wikileaks is probably being funded, at least partially, by other governments with interests in leaking damaging information.

But in any case, Wikileaks probably has a bankroll larger than the ENTIRE bitcoin economy at this point in time.

Also, when you create a new Iron Man suit in your lab, you don't take on all the militaries of the world on your first trip out on the "test track".   Bitcoin is still in "beta", remember.  Smiley

I say, we MUST get Bitcoin accepted at Starbucks and the local grocery store....  BEFORE it gets accepted at Wikileaks.

Then, we'll have a chance.

Starbucks.   Anyone have contact info for them?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: