Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:55:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikileaks contact info?  (Read 46862 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 11, 2010, 07:32:29 PM

Already blasted the writer at twitter about this connection he made with bitcoin and wikileak.

But otherwise, it's time to grow like...WEEDS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 01:30:34 AM

http://www.google.pl/search?q=bitcoin+wikileaks+pcworld&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.gentoo:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

As you said, the genie is out of the bottle. It is all up to wikileaks now.
I sincererly hope they don't adopt bitcoin.

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 01:39:48 AM

I doubt Wikileaks is even thinking about bitcoin.  Money isn't Wikileaks big problem at the moment.  I would imagine there is at least one multi-millionaire out there who thinks Assange is a hero and could bankroll the whole operation without batting an eye.  The entire bitcoin economy is a drop in the bucket.

Likewise, if guilt by association is a possibility when it comes to Wikileaks, then Twitter is toast way before bitcoin.

I think we're over-reacting a bit.  The publicity will do bitcoin good. 
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 01:43:51 AM

I hope you're right.

Let hope the governments of the world simply ignore us.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2010, 01:40:28 PM

Already blasted the writer at twitter about this connection he made with bitcoin and wikileak.

But otherwise, it's time to grow like...WEEDS.

I thought we weren't going to talk about drugs anymore ;-)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2010, 01:42:05 PM

I hope you're right.

Let hope the governments of the world simply ignore us.

I'd be interested in knowing what the absolute fastest legislative reaction to an invention ever was. I'm guessing like 3 years. They don't have a chance at beating this imo.

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 06:23:31 PM

I'd be interested in knowing what the absolute fastest legislative reaction to an invention ever was. I'm guessing like 3 years. They don't have a chance at beating this imo.

It's Wikileaks.  

Congress is already proposing new legislation to make it illegal to publish such leaks (since, currently, there are no laws against what Assange has done).   ...even though The New York Times actually has published MORE than the Wikileaks site did.    This is a total assault on Free Speech, Journalism, and Freedom, in the USA.

Also, the federal government is trying to impose new regulations on federal EMPLOYEES against even READING such web sites.  Under the proposed new regulations, if a federal employee even READS such a web site, he will be fired.

My Theory:   It's not the cables that the government is worried about.  No.  Not at all.  I think they are worried about the Bank of America documents, and documents of other corporations... that have NOT YET been published by Wikileaks.    They are terrified of the secrets of the world bankers getting out...

I want to be clear...   I totally support Wikileaks and what it stands for -- free speech, transparency of governments, exposing the conspiracy and tyranny of the world central bankers and global corporations.  

I just don't know about painting a target on the back of Bitcoin.   Also, I don't see any real important benefit to Wikileaks... in accepting Bitcoin.   (Although, of course, anyone could set up a Wikileaks Bitcoin Account which would promise to later mail all collected funds to Wikileaks by postal mail.)

For anyone who really cares about helping Wikileaks, forget about Bitcoin...  It seems to me that much more beneficial contributions would be to:

• host another mirror of the wikileaks site (if you are aware of the risks and not afraid of the possible consequences)
  • seed wikileaks data torrents (if you are aware of the risks and not afraid of the possible consequences)
  • host a site that maintains a list of all wikileaks (& mirror sites) domains and IP addresses; and other leaks sites; and other donation options

Just some thoughts...

Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 06:55:55 PM

I want to be clear...   I totally support Wikileaks and what it stands for -- free speech, transparency of governments, exposing the conspiracy and tyranny of the world central bankers and global corporations.  

+1
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 08:16:13 PM

It's Wikileaks.  

Congress is already proposing new legislation to make it illegal to publish such leaks (since, currently, there are no laws against what Assange has done).  

This doesn't count, because Congress has always considered crap that didn't stand a chance.  This won't either, as it is obviously unconstitutional, and there remain people who actually care that what that document says.  It also would be irrelevent, since those who publish aren't subject to US prosecution anyway.  The very idea that JA could be extridited to the US for violation of US spying laws, considering that he is an Australian who has been living in Europe this entire time, is ubsurd.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 01:02:12 AM

If the opposite of pro is con.
Then is the opposite of progress; congress?

GeorgeH

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 02:51:59 AM

TL;DR; but I believe WikiLeaks can be contacted through Twitter (however unprofessional it may feel)

1DSpPtPTGXTYjkZehPsiAbjkXLkB1jsZ2x
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 10:44:08 AM

It's Wikileaks.

Eh, I don't think actually reporting on things the government did instead of what government said is really a new invention, rare though it may be.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 04:53:51 PM

This idea needs reviving.
cw

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 07:00:09 PM

The art has begun now to turn this new bitcoin publicity into positive and legitimate activities, ideally even stating that bitcoin does not want to be assiciated with wikileaks af this stage (like satoshi has expressed clearly )
 we could add a statement on the homepage of bitcoin.org.

Please, don't do that. Wikileaks might have some bad press in USA, but they're seen as heros in the rest of the world (for example, a recent survey shown recently that Julian Assange is the third most reputated "international leader" for Spanish people). Just be neutral, it's not bitcoin's role to endorse or condemn Wikileaks. If bitcoin.org condemns Wikieaks, it'll be EPIC FAIL for bitcoin reputation in many places all over the world.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 09:24:16 PM

The art has begun now to turn this new bitcoin publicity into positive and legitimate activities, ideally even stating that bitcoin does not want to be assiciated with wikileaks af this stage (like satoshi has expressed clearly )
 we could add a statement on the homepage of bitcoin.org.

Please, don't do that. Wikileaks might have some bad press in USA, but they're seen as heros in the rest of the world (for example, a recent survey shown recently that Julian Assange is the third most reputated "international leader" for Spanish people). Just be neutral, it's not bitcoin's role to endorse or condemn Wikileaks. If bitcoin.org condemns Wikieaks, it'll be EPIC FAIL for bitcoin reputation in many places all over the world.

+1

Currency should stay a currency. When we involve in political stuff, we risk being associated with one of the sides.
Currencies should be neutral by design.

alexzp

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 11:43:22 PM

Looking on the bright side, if Bitcoin did get known as the Wikileaks currency, attacked by governments all over the world, at least we'd get our Wikipedia page back!

This is so true.  There certainly wouldn't be a shortage of "reliable sources" about Bitcoins at that point.  I think it would likely show up on the front page of most newspapers and be talked about extensively on both radio talk shows and the other broadcast networks too.

For myself, I'm getting to the point to say "bring it on" in regards to Wikileaks.  Note that I'm using my real name here instead of a psuedonym and I'm willing to personally say "bring it on" in terms of being associated with Bitcoins as a project.  I've had police come into my house without my permission already and do all kind of stupid stuff, so for me that line being crossed has already happened.  I am also connected to enough people politically that if something was to happen to me that it would be noted and things would happen too.

It is the morally correct thing to be supporting Wikileaks, and if they'll take a few of my bitcoins, I not only want to donate but to let the world know that they can donate to Wikileaks through Bitcoins as well.

I can't speak for everybody here in the Bitcoins community but I am speaking for myself on this matter, and I'm not afraid of anything that the U.S. government might do to me if I was associated with backing Wikileaks financially.  If anything, it would show that I no longer live under a constitutional government any more.  If the U.S. government wants to tip their hand to expose themselves in that way, so be it.  If the U.S. government kills me or puts me in jail, I'll certainly set a way for this community to find out.  I really don't think it would come to that either, but I don't care if it did.

If I have to "vote" on this matter, I would encourage the Bitcoin community to take up the plate like we did with the EFF and encourage Wikileaks to put up a Bitcoin address on their website for donations.  It would bring in some new blood into the Bitcoin community regardless, and it might be beneficial to Wikileaks as well.  Leave it to Wikileaks to see if they want to use Bitcoins or not.  In terms of governmental review of Bitcoins, we know that is going to happen sooner or later, so why are we fighting that inevitable result?  Anything other than a low-key investigation is only going to make more people interested in Bitcoins, which is only going to help the project even more.  It can't be killed as a project, only slowed down a little bit in its growth at this point and more likely its adoption would be accelerated by any kind of publicity that would happen.

The only possible concern I would have is over how sound the protocol itself is right now.  If anything, a major flux of new people into Bitcoins would help there too, and the worst that could happen is that Bitcoins itself would be broken in some way where a new cryptocurrency would have to be created fixing the problems of Bitcoins.  It is the idea of cryptocurrency that would then persist, and it is incredibly hard to censor an idea.

Basically, bring it on.  Let's encourage Wikileaks to use Bitcoins and I'm willing to face any risk or fallout from that act.

-- Robert S. Horning
Logan, Utah

i think you  "Struggling With Windmills" sorry,
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:55:27 AM

kezzyp

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:42:39 PM

IMO, leave wikileaks out for now, RED ALERT:: BO:BO:BO--BOOM!
jings007

Activity: 174
Merit: 7

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 04:26:16 AM

Wow! This thread and/or topic was started in 2010 wherein the value of bitcoin back then is more or less $0.10. And I guess too this site then maybe not bitcointalk as it is today. I'd like to make this thread live again because I feel it sounds interesting. What do you think, guys? Cool
fl1pp3r

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:38:08 PM

Bitcoin is like Wikileaks: Unstopable!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: