Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:12:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bear appreciation thread!!  (Read 5627 times)
zoolander

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:40:05 PM

I just couldn't believe that people we attacking those who saying simply unsustainable, never mind calling it a bubble.

I sold coins all the way up from $140, the last going at $250 knowing what was happening was clearly insane. I'd only wish I'd trusted my instincts and sold a bit more. However there is no possibility of any downside for me at this point, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the show for a bit.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:42:09 PM

I'm here, I'm here!

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:46:23 PM

BTW, anyone look at blockchianed recently.  Over 100,000BTCs have appeared on the order book in the last 48hrs.  Gee, who knew there were that many bitcoins out there.  The bid walls just looked so darn big compared to the little tiny supply.  $10m is nothing.  $16m is not enough to support all the bitcoins in the hands of EAs and everyone else who will dump when things look scary.  There are enough bitcoins in the hands of capable and willing people that if things look really bad, they can take us all the way back to the starting point, and I mean sub dollar prices.  And look what it takes given the weakness of the infrastructure built around bitcoin -- a DDoS attack.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Wuji

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:46:42 PM

I dont understand.  BTC is a unit.  To be BEARish or BULLish can only be determined when you assign a relative value to a fiat currency.
BTC is an independent thing that has a purpose.  Is anyone bullish or bearish on oxycontin?  For some that 30mg pill is worth the $20 co-pay for 30 of em.  For others, theyll pay $300 for the same 30 (I assume thats the rate).  Oxy serves a purpose and depending on how badly you need that purpose fulfilled dictates the value you attach to it.

BTC serves a purpose too, namely (imho) anonymous (for legal/ethical/taxation purposes), quick and non-reversible payments.  Now if you dont need that purpose fulfilled then yeah, be bearish.  If you like the purpose of BTC, be bullish.  

As I posted in a newbie post, for me BTC represents a sort of "Cayman Island" for the common man.  Think Bit Romney.  Earn / Spend BTC for whatever purpose, legit, or not, and be free from the scrutiny of taxation or big governments eye.  Christ, its practically paypal (but quicker, non-reversable and anonymous).  Itll get mass adoption in time.

Being bearish or bullish is about how you feel about the current price and if it is over or under valued.  If I was a drug dealer selling Oxycontin hell yes I'd be bullish or bearish.  Since I am not I am dealing in commodities, stocks, options and Bitcoins.  Based on their value in my native currency USD I have a bear/bull stance on each of them.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:07:49 PM

Economy / Speculation / Re: Just woke up and BTC is OVER $134!!??    on: April 03, 2013, 09:47:14 AM

"We hit the irrational exhuberence stage.  Good time to cash in profits and wait for a lower price."

I was a bit early on my call, but still, it's only 10 days ago when I stated we hit the irrational exhuberance stage.  People had another six days to ride the wave and cash out.
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:18:05 PM

... during the first bubble, the prices were not sustainable because the irrational bulls converted all of their fiat to btc and there reached a point where the influx suddenly stopped. this caused a panic and a huge correction, which left many, many bag-holders in its wake.

this time around, the influx of new buyers isn't slowing. people with little to no exposure of bitcoin are rushing to buy simply because the price has been going up, up, up. it's the same psychology, except the scale is much larger and the price is much higher for many more coins. smart money pulls its asks because it sees that the fundamentals are different this time around, and there won't be a huge crash. selloffs are immediately absorbed by new buyers who don't understand the risk of purchasing an asset whose price has made 500% gains in the last year.

[this] ... will inevitably lead to massive profit-taking, predatory speculation, and price volatility.

i could tell that the sentiment was dangerously optimistic way back in February, but in this game of musical chairs everyone was willing to wait a lot longer before the music stopped.

i was told i was a filthy keynesian who hated deflation. (in so many words) Grin

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:44:11 PM

Meh, I was happy to concede that things were looking bubbly but many of the bears were calling for an imminent collapse all the way up from single digits and have been wrong more often than they've been right.

Though to be fair, taking out student loans to buy bitcoins is just  Roll Eyes

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:49:25 PM

Anyone noting the frenzy buying and pumping at gox, orders just fill up at any price just so it move higher and higher, I smell price manipulation.

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:54:50 PM

When my next paycheck clears I'll make my normal buy.  DCA for the win.  If it doesn't stay up long I'm unlikely to buy much at those prices.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 05:01:01 PM

You sound level-headed, I'll give you some kudos.

I bought on-average way over $20 but made money and coins and goods on the way and am still holding.

The price right now is almost exactly my averaged entry price.

Like others have said: it's the "crash to zero!111" crowd I couldn't listen to.

Or others simply WISHING a crash because they were way too unadventurous.

But why do we have be defined as bullish or bearish, I guess I was and still am both of those things albeit in slightly varying fractions? Tongue

Confession: part of me is very relieved at what happened and how it wasn't as worse as it could have been.

We could still see a long tail-off like the 2011 decline but there's plenty of time to exit gracefully in that case.

But things are quicker now. No time to think!

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Ozymandias

Activity: 644

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:09:20 PM

Post to receive my comeupance and continuing to hold for the longest time
checkers6676

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:24:08 PM

I'm one of those people you mentioned having put everything I own into BTC. Took equity out of the house, sold a whole range of electronics, even furniture, and put it all in.

edit: I bought in originally at 37 but more at various points all the way to 149. To average it all I'd say my overall buy-in price was 78 originally.
I sold at $237 (on the way down from 266)
Bought at $117 (on the way up from 105)
Sold at 178 (on the way down from 194)
and now I'm prepping to buy all back in in the $70 range. It'll be 100 sometime Monday.

moral of the story: smart bulls always win, i-told-you-so bears dont earn crap. congrats Smiley
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:24:38 PM

Broken clock thread. I will look forward to the next one in about 12 months. Lucif got this one quite right.

flaab

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:26:08 PM

Eventually the bulls are wrong!
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:28:24 PM

I'm one of those people you mentioned having put everything I own into BTC. Took equity out of the house, sold a whole range of electronics, even furniture, and put it all in.

I sold at $237 (on the way down from 266)
Bought at $117 (on the way up from 105)
Sold at 178 (on the way down from 194)
and now I'm prepping to buy all back in in the $70 range. It'll be 100 sometime Monday.

moral of the story: smart bulls always win, i-told-you-so bears dont earn crap. congrats Smiley

you dun good, but know you're among few. bears earned a lot more than, say, the bottom 75% of bulls (0 > -x)

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
evolve (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:34:52 PM

The bears locked in their profits while everyone was still going on about the mythical $1000 bitcoin.....it was the bulls that had to catch a falling knife (and I guarantee there were a lot more losers than winners).
BitSlut69

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:36:21 PM

Yes the last two weeks of growth was unsustainable and now we've seen a correction. To say that BTC is going down to sub-dollar levels is foolish.

A correction like this is usually an over reaction, just as the rise was. We're seeing lots of support at $70 - $80 so I think that is the low side and we'll be back around $100 by the end of next week.

I really don't think we'll see BTC below $50 because of this. The worst is behind us and we're still on track for massive growth this year. This is a buying opportunity.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 05:50:01 PM

It's good to have people who can keep their heads during huge gains. I appreciate you!

Now that the wind has finally changed, I think I may as well repeat my question from before: proudhon, what on earth was going on with you calling the top over and over? Have you figured out what you were misinterpreting?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
arepo

this statement is false

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:54:50 PM

It's good to have people who can keep their heads during huge gains. I appreciate you!

Now that the wind has finally changed, I think I may as well repeat my question from before: proudhon, what on earth was going on with you calling the top over and over? Have you figured out what you were misinterpreting?

I did the same thing and I realized I had not calibrated my oscillators for the incredibly large influx of money into the economy. They were screaming overbought, and I was worried that it all would lead to such a speculative bubble, but it really did seem to be on the verge of tipping at many, many points during this insane run-up.

ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 06:20:07 PM

Eventually the bulls are wrong!

All images which don't resemble something we know every detail of very well will resemble each other.

Show a pic of Justin Bieber's face to an alien followed by a pic of Samuel L Jackson and they'll shout - it's the same, it's the same!!!111 (don't try this at home).

Those charts are: an up bit and a down bit. They are certainly not the same.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: