Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:02:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple: A Distributed Exchange for Bitcoin  (Read 66654 times)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:14:45 PM

No, it can NOT be increased past current limits without consensus from the Ripple network. Currently this is only OpenCoin, in the future you will be able to run your own Ripple server and enforce the current limits of XRP just like anyone running bitcoind enforces the 21 million BTC limit.

BTC24 was/is on the same "professionalism level" as bitcoinica...

Ripple gateways would be e-money dealers which are already existing, have known regulations and requirements concerning audits, full reserves etc. Bitcoin exchanges don't.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:31:11 PM

No, it can NOT be increased past current limits without consensus from the Ripple network. Currently this is only OpenCoin, in the future you will be able to run your own Ripple server and enforce the current limits of XRP just like anyone running bitcoind enforces the 21 million BTC limit.
It's kind of irrelevant what 'will be' when in fact it is already pretty much the opposite. So, you admit that ATM opencoin reserves the right to print money for itself for the time being, but supposedly debunk my point by saying that in the future that will be controlled by network consensus.

BTC24 was/is on the same "professionalism level" as bitcoinica...
And the same kind of monkey business will be away from your all decentralized and open network, because...?

Ripple gateways would be e-money dealers which are already existing, have known regulations and requirements concerning audits, full reserves etc. Bitcoin exchanges don't.
What's preventing all the bitcoin exchanges from jumping in? Who is going to stop them from doing so? More importantly, the possibility that they can be submited to an aproval process is the problem. I thought we were trying to fix the problem of needing to trust many people.
My bitcoins are just there, they're just a piece of information that only I have access they are protected from theft by the laws of physics, not because I trust somebody.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 10:38:32 PM

It's kind of irrelevant what 'will be' when in fact it is already pretty much the opposite. So, you admit that ATM opencoin reserves the right to print money for itself for the time being, but supposedly debunk my point by saying that in the future that will be controlled by network consensus.
Don't be ridiculous. If I admit I'm capable of hitting my son in the head with a hammer, does that mean I've "reserved the right" to hit my son in the head with a hammer?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:42:55 PM

isn't ripple a hobo wine too?

They should have called it Nightrain.
Terpie

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:47:29 PM

Don't be ridiculous. If I admit I'm capable of hitting my son in the head with a hammer, does that mean I've "reserved the right" to hit my son in the head with a hammer?

The analogy is more akin to being capable of "draining your bank account". In which case, I much prefer you neither have the capability nor "reserve the right".
zemario

Activity: 194

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 10:53:22 PM

You omitted "for myself" from your analogy, making it non valid.
But yes, that is the problem... parents  do have responsibility and authority over their children and if they don't do it properly consequences are tragic. This happens everyday. It is possible for a parent to hit his son with a hammer in the head, that is my point, yes.

You cannot reduce the education of a child to a mathematical problem like bitcoins did to money, so unfortunately there will still children being victims of their parents violence.
Contrary to the hype, you cannot reduce transactions to a mathematical problem either. You, the people putting ripple up are aware of this. What I dislike is the way ripple is announced as if it would solve this problem. This problem has no solution, if you engage in a transaction, you have to either have to trust someone or someone has to trust you.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 11:10:30 PM

They won't increase XRP count because they don't need to currently, they don't want to hurt trust/reputation they earned and because I say so...

And the same kind of monkey business will be away from your all decentralized and open network, because...?
See my next line that you quoted.

What's preventing all the bitcoin exchanges from jumping in? Who is going to stop them from doing so? More importantly, the possibility that they can be submited to an aproval process is the problem. I thought we were trying to fix the problem of needing to trust many people.
My bitcoins are just there, they're just a piece of information that only I have access they are protected from theft by the laws of physics, not because I trust somebody.
MtGox is dealing with it's crappy trade engine, approving people, withdrawal limits and whatnot - I guess they have other priorities. Bitstamp already uses and supports Ripple, others probably will follow. Ripple is also rather a competitor to BitInstant, Dwolla etc. by the way.

I guess Bitcoin exchanges, especially considering them dropping like domino pieces after MtGox went down last week, currently just have other priorities than jumping on board early on a beta project that might even cause them some trouble in their business and that needs to be evaluated + secured well. Also I don't know what's happening in the back already...

I submitted a statement to bitbet.us, so maybe you can bet soonish that there actually will be more than 100 billion XRP issued before the source code for a Ripple server is published. Wink

datafish
Donator

Activity: 129

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:45:31 AM

Why do you say this?  I thought anyone who runs a ripple server can act as a gateway, with varying levels of success in interfacing with the traditional financial system.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:25:23 AM

A distributed example - bitstamp is down currently. The bitstamp IOUs are still trading on ripple.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 11:39:05 AM

A distributed example - bitstamp is down currently. The bitstamp IOUs are still trading on ripple.

Cool, thats what bitcoin also should do: trade IOUs.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 01:28:01 PM

Why do you say this?  I thought anyone who runs a ripple server can act as a gateway, with varying levels of success in interfacing with the traditional financial system.

Becoming an entity that is creating funds that can be converted to and from real-world currencies is something where a LOT of scams can/will/did happen. Beyond simple vouchers/gift cards there's a lot of regulations on that. check your local bank regulation website (e.g. FinCen) for more info.

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 03:43:18 PM

Becoming an entity that is creating funds that can be converted to and from real-world currencies is something where a LOT of scams can/will/did happen. Beyond simple vouchers/gift cards there's a lot of regulations on that. check your local bank regulation website (e.g. FinCen) for more info.

Agreed, but extending trust to your friends would be much less problematic. I don't see anything problematic there.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 04:42:35 PM

Cool, thats what bitcoin also should do: trade IOUs.

Not sure I understand the tone of your response, but when you trade "bitcoins" and "USD" on mtgox, you are trading mtgox IOUs, not actual coins or USD. When you buy 1 btc on mtgox, nothing hits the blockchain until you redeem (on their terms of course). All coins and USD stay in-house, just their pointers move.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 05:01:46 PM

Agreed, but extending trust to your friends would be much less problematic. I don't see anything problematic there.
Yes, as long as it stays very small, it might (IANAL!) not be an issue. It might be too much hassle though to issue new IOUs for every book that you lend to somebody, each hour of work you help your parents or for that 10 bucks a friend borrows from you to pay for a pizza...

To exchange USD to BTC on Ripple however means that you need highly trusted and accepted USD and BTC IOUs respectively (e.g. from MtGox or Bitstamp, not from a single user on this board). This most likely will be provided by a regulated entity.

Traktion

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:00:29 PM

Having an open credit clearing system, rather than one run by governments, is both a useful and an interesting concept.

An ideal monetary system should facilitate both credit clearing and settlement. The former is what gives a currency 'elasticity', while the latter allows people to choose their exposure to it.

If one party wants to exchange goods with another for IOUs, then great. Trust is extremely liquid and allows easy trade. If both parties would rather not rely on trust, then they can both exchange goods instead. Where is the problem?

I'm not sure why there is so much hostility here, tbh. Ripple and Bitcoin are two separate things. You don't have to abandon one, in order to find the other useful.
jaime

Activity: 339

División de Poderes s.XXI es Descentralización

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 07:23:15 PM

Meh, the problem of ripple is the same of bitcoin, very few people use it. Yes, if everyone use ripple, then it would be good as an exchange for bitcoin. But well, then if everyone use bitcoin, we would not even need an exchange.

+1. What do we need an exchange for ? We will just trade in bitcoins and forget about the old money.
The only problem I see is that currently half of the bitcoin economy is held by less than 2 million early adopters. This has to spread a lot more.

LeTanque

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

Fortune favors the bold and brave

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:35:17 PM

Seems to me they are riding one of the carts on the "decentralized" train uninvited.

In regards to uninvited, they do have Jed McCaleb on the team...

"It is a mistake to suppose that any technological innovation has a one-sided effect. Every technology is both a burden and a blessing; not either-or, but this-and-that." -Neil Postman Technopoly
1FooDLuTYk782GQNrY7zY1obTc4ceUfj5t
mmeijeri

Activity: 714

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 09:59:11 PM

I'm not sure why there is so much hostility here, tbh. Ripple and Bitcoin are two separate things. You don't have to abandon one, in order to find the other useful.

Exactly. In fact, I think Ripple is going to be enormously helpful for the wider adoption of Bitcoin.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
TimJBenham

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:23:47 AM

There doesn't seem to be anywhere to register on ripple.com.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 01:55:38 PM

Seems to me they are riding one of the carts on the "decentralized" train uninvited.

In regards to uninvited, they do have Jed McCaleb on the team...

Who started the largest centralized exchange for bitcoin? And where it is still unclear if he is directly responsible for the database leak?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: