Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:27:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] CoinMap 2.0! (Map showing places where Bitcoin is accepted)  (Read 108043 times)
teste

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:52:38 AM

Sorry for many posts, but ideas doesn't come in the same time.

I was searching on openstreetmap and doesn't exist tag for merchants that allow online sales. The good of openstreetmap is that we can use any tag we want. So I was thinking that we could have, as our standard tag name, something like: web_merchant=yes or online_buying=yes.
On a top banner, could have an option to mark to show/filter only web merchants or all places.

What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yrtimid

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:35:24 AM

• Add more info to popup

Could you be more specific? I added most of the reasonable information already. Also if you click on * next to venue name it will take you to the OSM browser.
Actually now I see all the data I wanted!

Good job! Thank you!
stick (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:36:40 AM

What do you think?

I don't think that OpenStreetMap is a good place to store information about web merchants, because their field of activity is global rather then local.

tjohej

Activity: 378

Magic Staff

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:40:41 PM

What do you think?

I don't think that OpenStreetMap is a good place to store information about web merchants, because their field of activity is global rather then local.
Well, if they got an office somewhere tag them, and if they accept Bitcoin, tag them as payment:bitcoin=yes and if they don't take Bitcoin up front at their office then tag with note:payment:bitcoin="payment only accepted online" Cheesy

There are solutions for everything!

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
teste

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 06:10:15 PM

Think in a supermarket that sell the products physically and by internet. I would like to see a way to filter the map to only show places that allow internet buying too.
This places could be tagged with something like: internet_buying=yes.

I think this is important.
stick (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:39:41 PM

Guys, please don't try to come up with your own rules. OpenStreetMap already has its vision and purpose. For businesses that do their stuff in the virtual world there are lots of other listings. Let's keep CoinMap for the real ones - that you can really visit ...

tjohej

Magic Staff

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 01:02:30 PM

For shops that say it clearly "we don't have an office and we only allow online purchases" well then it may not really fit into a physical location since it gives no real value to anyone.

Guys, please don't try to come up with your own rules. OpenStreetMap already has its vision and purpose. For businesses that do their stuff in the virtual world there are lots of other listings. Let's keep CoinMap for the real ones - that you can really visit ...
There are no "new rules". Only "Map the world". Also a common rule on OSM is less talking and more mapping!  Grin
...like Richard's userpage: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Richard

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
yrtimid

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:52:49 PM

Also, I think you can try to make phone number clickable by making it a link with "tel:" prefix.
Code:
<a href="tel:123456789">123456789</a>
teste

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:59:13 PM

yrtimid,

Are you a developer?
teste

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:01:34 PM

If yes, I think you could improve coinmap. https://github.com/prusnak/coinmap

I have many suggestions.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:05:53 PM

Great initiative! One problem is that these kinds of lists quickly get cluttered with merchants who are not really accepting Bitcoin payments. The Wiki is a good (ugly) example. People list themselves, or others, just because they think it is cool, without following through.
Once they face first difficulties of any kind (technical, regulatory, market crash, hacks) - they give up and abandon the listing.

The list needs to be curated.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
stick (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 08:48:09 PM

Great initiative! One problem is that these kinds of lists quickly get cluttered with merchants who are not really accepting Bitcoin payments. The Wiki is a good (ugly) example. People list themselves, or others, just because they think it is cool, without following through.
Once they face first difficulties of any kind (technical, regulatory, market crash, hacks) - they give up and abandon the listing.

That's cool about OpenStreetMap/CoinMap - if there is an inconsistency - anyone can fix it!

yrtimid

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 09:28:27 PM

If yes, I think you could improve coinmap. https://github.com/prusnak/coinmap
My knowledge in such projects is very limited, but I'll be happy to help project owner with small issues.

I have many suggestions.
I think you can start filing your propositions at https://github.com/prusnak/coinmap/issues
tjohej

Magic Staff

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:59:02 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2013, 07:31:57 PM by tjohej

I managed to go offtopic again. Typical  Cool

tjohej

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:34:54 PM

Bravo Cheesy to the one who mapped the lawyer Jay Cohen Attorney, working in Houston on Franklin st.

stick, do you take the icons from somewhere which you use on the map? If you put them manually, maybe it would be nice if there was an icon for lawyers? It's more an aesthetical thing so maybe it's not that important   Wink

Btw, I noticed only because they are writing about him in Business Insider at the moment: http://www.businessinsider.com/defense-lawyer-who-accepts-bitcoins-2013-5

AndrewBuck

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:15:46 PM

Hey Stick, great website.  I do a lot of OpenStreetMap editing and was glad to see someone marry the idea of OSM and bitcoin together.  I think your map has inspired a lot of people to tag objects in the DB when they accept bitcoin.

I filed a github issue about the edit link you have on the site, as well as having permalinks.  The issue is here...

https://github.com/prusnak/coinmap/issues/1

Also, it would be nice to have the 'slider bar' style zoom buttons rather than just the +/- buttons as it is impossible to zoom out more than one notch at a time which is kind of annoying, I hate how openlayers defaults to that.

Finally, I see you update every 15 minutes, and was just curious what you setup looks like, do you keep a full planet up to date, or do you just do an overpass query or xapi query every 15 minutes?

-AndrewBuck
stick (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:04:21 PM

I filed a github issue about the edit link you have on the site, as well as having permalinks.  The issue is here...

Thanks! As I've posted in the issue tracker - pull requests are appreciated!

Also, it would be nice to have the 'slider bar' style zoom buttons rather than just the +/- buttons as it is impossible to zoom out more than one notch at a time which is kind of annoying, I hate how openlayers defaults to that.

Please create an issue for that or ideally create a pull request.

Finally, I see you update every 15 minutes, and was just curious what you setup looks like, do you keep a full planet up to date, or do you just do an overpass query or xapi query every 15 minutes?

OverPass Query every 15 minutes. Is there a difference to first method you described?

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:04:39 AM

I see there's another service similar to this: http://bitcoin.travel/
Some differences are that it uses Google Maps, and apparently there's a small fee for being listed.

What do you think?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
tjohej

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 08:52:41 AM

I see there's another service similar to this: http://bitcoin.travel/
Some differences are that it uses Google Maps, and apparently there's a small fee for being listed.

What do you think?
Well, they can't be compared since Google Maps is not Google Data. Google Maps is not data.

OpenStreetMap(OSM) on the other hand is data, so no real comparison can be made with Google Maps since Gmaps use either prerendered maps from their own private data store or they show satellite/aerial imagery.

In simple practical terms your data is stored on bitcoin.travel but on coinmap.org your data gets stored on OpenStreetMap.

CoinMap just shows places that have the tag payment:bitcoin=yes Smiley
Any more questions? I would be glad to answer them  Cheesy

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:40:46 PM

Well, they can't be compared since Google Maps is not Google Data. Google Maps is not data.

OpenStreetMap(OSM) on the other hand is data, so no real comparison can be made with Google Maps since Gmaps use either prerendered maps from their own private data store or they show satellite/aerial imagery.

In simple practical terms your data is stored on bitcoin.travel but on coinmap.org your data gets stored on OpenStreetMap.

CoinMap just shows places that have the tag payment:bitcoin=yes Smiley
Any more questions? I would be glad to answer them  Cheesy
My question wasn't about comparing Google Maps to OpenStreetMap but comparing bitcoin.travel to coinmap.org
Like, which one has more or better features? Or, if I have a shop, where should I announce myself?

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: