Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 11:31:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Rootstock will be a better solution than ETH?  (Read 534 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1372

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 11:03:31 PM

Once Rootstock comes live, do you think that it might overcome Ethereum as a smart contracts platform? As we've seen, ETH is very flawed (to many security issues) so maybe Rootstock will be even more secure as it will be running alongside Bitcoin's blockchain.

Still, I'm curious to know whenever smart contract security will be enforced as flaws like The DAO can cause great caos among the ecosystem.

Nevertheless, I would to know your thoughts about the next smart contracts platform, as it may prove itself to be a more secure environment for decentralized apps than ETH or any other alternative.  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 06:16:09 AM

What about bitbay and halo?

Are they smart contracts enabled? have you looked into these.

I am not saying they are superior to eth or what rootstock has planned but were they not the first decentralised smart contracts enabled platforms? perhaps they are superior but I don't have the technical background to make a comparison.

SupaDude

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2017, 07:52:57 AM

Once Rootstock comes live, do you think that it might overcome Ethereum as a smart contracts platform? As we've seen, ETH is very flawed (to many security issues) so maybe Rootstock will be even more secure as it will be running alongside Bitcoin's blockchain.

Still, I'm curious to know whenever smart contract security will be enforced as flaws like The DAO can cause great caos among the ecosystem.

Nevertheless, I would to know your thoughts about the next smart contracts platform, as it may prove itself to be a more secure environment for decentralized apps than ETH or any other alternative.  Smiley

At this point I dunno, they are still too new. I would like to see three to four major smart contract platforms to keep anyone from taking over the world. Take your pick from those who look like they have a good shot now. I tried to pick a diverse group with dev teams coming from around the world.
  • RootStock
  • Eth
  • AntShares/NEM
  • Rise/Expanse/Waves

Do not quote me, but I think Ethereum has enough cash to do an entire rewrite, so I think they are going to fix the security issues, some heavy weights told them what to do to fix the bugs and they have the money. Put it in perspective, a 22 year old kid without a Yoda wrote the software the change the world and it had some bugs. He made a big enough PR splash to get the attention of some major security and dev talent. So I think they will be OK, if they get it right next time, which means they need a nice even pace with no mistakes.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 09:12:15 AM

Are you actually posting here pretending that the fact it's an ICO coin is a good thing ?

Security is your big concern ? Do you all learn nothing ? Wonder why i repeat myself NON STOP ?

YOU.
ARE.
ALL.
STUPID.
PERIOD /.

FUD first & ask questions later™
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 04:36:17 PM

Anything that runs as a bitcoin sidechain is already a better deal than an altcoin. Don't get me wrong. Ethereum is a cool project and all that, but we have seen what happens when your core software is a complex mess of a non usual coding language, full turing complete and whatnot... very dangerous place to establish a foundations of different technologies.

Satoshi took the right approach: simple main software, complex sidechains on top (well, sidechains are mostly by Greg Maxwell, but satoshi did a good job by keeping bitcoin non turing complete, it's like he saw it coming)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1372

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 25, 2017, 06:27:07 PM

What about bitbay and halo?

Are they smart contracts enabled? have you looked into these.

I am not saying they are superior to eth or what rootstock has planned but were they not the first decentralised smart contracts enabled platforms? perhaps they are superior but I don't have the technical background to make a comparison.

Yes, I'm aware about these smart contract platforms. They may be the first decentralized smart contract platforms ever designed, and perhaps be more secure than ETH itself, in my own opinion, as it uses a well-known programming language which is tried and tested. Still, I think that even greater security would be achieved with a sidechain running alongside Bitcoin's blockchain.  Roll Eyes

Anything that runs as a bitcoin sidechain is already a better deal than an altcoin. Don't get me wrong. Ethereum is a cool project and all that, but we have seen what happens when your core software is a complex mess of a non usual coding language, full turing complete and whatnot... very dangerous place to establish a foundations of different technologies.

Satoshi took the right approach: simple main software, complex sidechains on top (well, sidechains are mostly by Greg Maxwell, but satoshi did a good job by keeping bitcoin non turing complete, it's like he saw it coming)

Agree. Ethereum being a complex project and all, it has suffered from many issues and flaws, lacking its ability to become used as a serious platform for developers to create smart contracts on it. At first, I liked the idea of ETH and thought that it was going to be the next Bitcoin, but as time passed and ETH passed through several tests, I've realized that I was completely wrong.

Now, a smart contracts platform like Rootstock running as a sidechain within Bitcoin's blockchain, might be the next big thing and surpass ETH if successful. It was right for Satoshi to design Bitcoin as simple as possible to prevent situations like the ones that has faced ETH, from happening. Just my thoughts.  Grin

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: