Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 11:11:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Center Mining Garage and Man Mining Cave  (Read 49384 times)
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 04:07:04 AM

i bought 5 pcs socket 775 motherboard with 4x pcie for 80$
7 pcs 80gb HDD for 35$

still looking at processors at 16-20$ each (quad cores)

i still have some extra ddr2 rams here, will buy more at 7-10$ each

that's 20 GPU potential expansion for only ~300$  (GPU and PSU not included)

the motherboards are like the one i've been using since 2013 and all are still fine today...the other thing i like about that board is they have 4 LED that if it all turns green-i know it will boot to windows except if there is a HDD failure, it also has LED for PCIe connection.

You should also look into these used HP & DELL core 2 duos PCs, they are sold at a very cheap price and have 3-4 PCIe slots. As electricity is not a big concern where I m located, i am planning to expand using these. So the CPU will run as independent system and the 3-4 GPU can run over extenders and a separate PSU.

nice to have these really cheap, old, heavy duty, and reliable systems running even the latest GPUs.

i do not like dual cores, there are times in the past that they affected the hashrate of my GPUs, s775 quad cores are really cheap now...i just can't get enough of these boards..i don't have to install drivers in windows 7 64bit - it is just plug and play LOL..and these 80gb HDDs are all cloned, any HDD failures are simply unplug-replace and turn on the rig.

with 1000w and 1250w PSU's i don't need to use separate PSU's for 3 card or 4 card rig...i always have enough PSU power allowance for swiching algos/coin that requires more power....there are still instances that i'm using two PSU per rig
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3666

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 01:01:04 PM

You should also look into these used HP & DELL core 2 duos PCs, they are sold at a very cheap price and have 3-4 PCIe slots. As electricity is not a big concern where I m located, i am planning to expand using these. So the CPU will run as independent system and the 3-4 GPU can run over extenders and a separate PSU.

i would be careful of dell boxes. one vostro 410 I had could only take one video card, period. plug any other vc card in to another pcie slot and that video card and the mobos on boards nic would be be disabled. tried all the pcie slots for that second cards and either no boot at all, or just the primary vc would come up but no network or 2nd card. weird.

otoh a vostro 420 was fine with 2 cards.

both were c2ds. go figure..

obviously you will also need to upgrade the psu too.
Myffas

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 01:28:01 PM

However, for my Setup the difference for 60 rigs when using 7 GPU config vs 6 GPU is over $5K in savings plus 1 RACK less.  Very surprising right?, Considering that the MSI is $65 more expensive then the ASROCK.  However you're able to squeeze in 1 more GPU and the underlying MB set to support each rig (MB, PSU, CPU, SSD, RAM, Server case, power cable, Rack etc) makes it more efficient to use 7 vs 6 GPU configs.   So it's definitely a great value and I get a more premium MB with the super valuable BIOS Board Explorer feature.  I can also reboot any of the rigs without needing Emulators on MSI MB vs ASROCK.  If I do need high rez, I just connect the monitor cable and it will auto switched to High rez.  The benefit of 6 GPU config is better stability and cooling due to less heat and more spacing. 

Unfortunately I do love Furies so for those rigs, I still use ASROCK H81 with Emulators.......  The reason for that is spacing required for the Furies. They are longer cards so the thinner H81 helps it fit better.  I can squeeze a Gaming 5 in but again I can only fit 6 GPU so it's a waste.   My Open Air config is mostly H81 as the saving there is less substantial and I started off with a ton of H81.  As usual, there's never a 1 size fit all solution.  =)  I can't wait for the Biostar MB to come as we do need a good alternative to the H81 that is always sold out and the Gaming 5 which have went up from $90 used and $119 new to over $110-119 used and over 149 new.   

P.S I love ASROCK RMA, they are very good and fast unlike what you read in the Reviews.  MSI RMA..........................hmmmmmmmmm..................Caveats Emptor.

Yun, could you elaborate about these emulators you use to reboot rigs ? What are they and how they compare to the SimpleRigResetter ?
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 02:07:48 PM

However, for my Setup the difference for 60 rigs when using 7 GPU config vs 6 GPU is over $5K in savings plus 1 RACK less.  Very surprising right?, Considering that the MSI is $65 more expensive then the ASROCK.  However you're able to squeeze in 1 more GPU and the underlying MB set to support each rig (MB, PSU, CPU, SSD, RAM, Server case, power cable, Rack etc) makes it more efficient to use 7 vs 6 GPU configs.   So it's definitely a great value and I get a more premium MB with the super valuable BIOS Board Explorer feature.  I can also reboot any of the rigs without needing Emulators on MSI MB vs ASROCK.  If I do need high rez, I just connect the monitor cable and it will auto switched to High rez.  The benefit of 6 GPU config is better stability and cooling due to less heat and more spacing.  

Unfortunately I do love Furies so for those rigs, I still use ASROCK H81 with Emulators.......  The reason for that is spacing required for the Furies. They are longer cards so the thinner H81 helps it fit better.  I can squeeze a Gaming 5 in but again I can only fit 6 GPU so it's a waste.   My Open Air config is mostly H81 as the saving there is less substantial and I started off with a ton of H81.  As usual, there's never a 1 size fit all solution.  =)  I can't wait for the Biostar MB to come as we do need a good alternative to the H81 that is always sold out and the Gaming 5 which have went up from $90 used and $119 new to over $110-119 used and over 149 new.  

P.S I love ASROCK RMA, they are very good and fast unlike what you read in the Reviews.  MSI RMA..........................hmmmmmmmmm..................Caveats Emptor.

Yun, could you elaborate about these emulators you use to reboot rigs ? What are they and how they compare to the SimpleRigResetter ?

He's speaking about HDMI screen emulator, little hdmi dongle that allow you to emulate a screen so that you can have a full HD resolution when you remote control your rigs, also some motherboard/gpus are known to refuse to boot up when no display are connected. So those help when rebooting rigs.

It has nothing to do with remote hard reboot rigs that SRR allow you to do, i personnally use a modded RPI with relay card to do that, but it's basically what's SRR is just made to do that exclusivly Smiley
cavaliersrus

Activity: 735
Merit: 500

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 04:27:19 PM

really liking this project your working on here so leaving a comment to watch more progress

yun9999 (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 09:56:30 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2017, 03:41:49 AM by yun9999

really liking this project your working on here so leaving a comment to watch more progress

Always great to see my old Kano pool comrades!   In case you're not familiar with this Nick, you would remember me by my old NhanDo nick.

I found this outside today.  One man's trash, is another man's treasure.  This is exactly what I need to do something cool and cheap.   More to follows...

Thread is getting very big now with 18 pages and over 16.5K hits so I will also be adding to the Main Page links to certain Key Topics / Reviews / Discussions for quick access.
cavaliersrus

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 11:17:12 PM

hey hey hows it going man ive stopped mining at kano cause i had to turn off my s1's and s2
well right now i use the s2 on and off for heating of kiddos room

still willing to point some hash to me lol i have
scrypt / x11 / zec / sha256 pools that you could point 2 ... what i would do with the ammount of zec that setup could send me lol j/k man

i do love your project sofar though

yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 11:55:04 PM

@ cavaliersrus - Yes that was fun back then pointing Megahash to give you a little  boo$t.  I enjoy supporting the community members whenever possible.

@ All others - I'm looking for good Quick disconnect type of connectors for the SRR wires.  I would assume I need some 20 or 22AWG wires as well?  Any recommendations for the quick disconnect adapters?  I found these but they may be a bit bulky since I need 2 cables for the MB On/Off switch and 2 wires for the reset.  So 2 of these but if anyone have a better idea, let me know.  The Idea is run the wire from the SRR base to this quick disconnect which will be plug close to the rear of the server case.  So in time of maintenance, it will be just a quick pull.

https://www.amazon.com/VIPMOON-Connectors-Electrical-Connector-Connecting/dp/B01JRDHVKM/ref=pd_sim_328_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NGCZ173HR895ZHAA2BMK

vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4382
Merit: 3666

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 12:25:22 AM

bare usb 2 sockets and plugs? they have 4 wires and are easy to connect/disconnect.
cavaliersrus

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 02:42:54 AM

well man i will pm you my pools for you just incase you feel like being generious again and i really did appreciate that back in the day man

yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 05:54:51 PM

Spring is coming soon and so will the hot weather.  I currently have 60+ Rigs in production.  If I stop now, my current infrastructure can handle the heat with a breeze.  However we do have plans on adding 10-20 more rigs.  So it's better to over Engineer to leave some cushions for worst case scenarios.  We all go into this phase.  When it's problematic, we say NO MORE RIGS!! That's enough!  When things are stable and we get bore, we say "Oh look at what's on sale, maybe a few more rigs won't hurt?".  Those last few GPU or rigs is usually the straw that breaks the Camel's back.  =)

My shed is very narrow.  If I put another rack to hold my Box fans, not only will that cover all the sexiness, but it will make it a nightmare to service my gears.  It would probably not be very safe working in that tight of a space.  The positive side to it being so narrow, is that I only have to push the heat a short distance to get it to the Exhaust side.  A lightbulb came into my head and say why not use some of those strong new 120MM Fans I just got?  However getting even 6 of quality Gooseneck holders is like over $100 easily which I can use for Fans instead.  

Luckily, I found this piece of metal that would do the job perfectly and only cost $1.29 at Lowes.  It have predrill holes and is very flexible so I can bend it at any angle I want.  IF I want wider flow, I just extend it more.  I can push it aside if I don't want it in my way.  2 of these at an angle especially Finksy version will sufficient for a 4 ft wide rack to keep the hot stale air from heating the gears above them.   I most likely won't be needing them but it's good to know, there's room for more efficiency and it could possibly help others.  You can power it simply with the spare Molex from your PSU for the side rigs.  All wood and Metal rack frames can be drilled to mount these.  

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 06:12:48 PM

Spring is coming soon and so will the hot weather.  I currently have 60+ Rigs in production.  If I stop now, my current infrastructure can handle the heat with a breeze.  However we do have plans on adding 10-20 more rigs.  So it's better to over Engineer to leave some cushions for worst case scenarios.  We all go into this phase.  When it's problematic, we say NO MORE RIGS!! That's enough!  When things are stable and we get bore, we say "Oh look at what's on sale, maybe a few more rigs won't hurt?".  Those last few GPU or rigs is usually the straw that breaks the Camel's back.  =)

My shed is very narrow.  If I put another rack to hold my Box fans, not only will that cover all the sexiness, but it will make it a nightmare to service my gears.  It would probably not be very safe working in that tight of a space.  The positive side to it being so narrow, is that I only have to push the heat a short distance to get it to the Exhaust side.  A lightbulb came into my head and say why not use some of those strong new 120MM Fans I just got?  However getting even 6 of quality Gooseneck holders is like over $100 easily which I can use for Fans instead.  

Luckily, I found this piece of metal that would do the job perfectly and only cost $1.29 at Lowes.  It have predrill holes and is very flexible so I can bend it at any angle I want.  IF I want wider flow, I just extend it more.  I can push it aside if I don't want it in my way.  2 of these at an angle especially Finksy version will sufficient for a 4 ft wide rack to keep the hot stale air from heating the gears above them.   I most likely won't be needing them but it's good to know, there's room for more efficiency and it could possibly help others.  You can power it simply with the spare Molex from your PSU for the side rigs.  All wood and Metal rack frames can be drilled to mount these.  

Not a bad idea indeed Smiley

Btw what are those black box under your rigs, they seems to have one USB port & power button are those for powering up & servicing the rigs ?

Also if you want more fresh air from the ground wouldn't it be interesting to suck it up from the ground to create a more "fast" flow ? like on top of your grill putting box fans ? Or at a 45° angle like

Code:
               \
               \
            box fan
                 \
grill on ground____\

You could even have the system on wheel with a small metal fram that wouldn't cost much, that you could push away if you need room to service, or use the left wall of the shed to make a metal frame that support them and is articulated to push them out of the way when servicing or something.
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 06:17:42 PM

So my buddy Ian decided to open up an Amazon store selling Crypto clothing Gears.  I said GENIUS!  I always want get something like that so it looks cool while working on my Gear.  I also love supporting our members and community.  He have a decent selection now and I just order this.

P.S I did recommend him adding some funny ones like "Will work for Bitcoins, etc".  

Lol i actually had one in mind a few weeks ago, didn't got around to make the design, a shirt with

SERIAL MINER in the middle, with a logo of a bitcoin being stabbed by a mining pick Grin
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 06:34:23 PM

@ m1n1ngP4d4w4n - That would be too easy and wouldn't be as creative.  =)  I bought fans for that exact purpose but again I dont want too many box fans.  If I add 2 or 3 more exhaust fan, the pulling force will be the same or greater than 2 of these.  Notice the base also block some of my valuable intake vent CFM?  These fans also eat up my wiggle room and I need lots of that as I do slide out the rack to service them.  I don't anticipate on needing either fan solutions but I just thought it would be fun to share on options.  

The Black box thing is the power buttons from my server rigs.  I ran out my Signature power buttons and Amazon was out of them so it was a make shift.  Just found it fit perfectly in between the wood so I now standardized with them for Shed.  Save me $8 / rig.  =)  I love being able to repurposed stuff.

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:19:04 PM

ah yeah i can see how narrow it is now, well good luck with optimization then Smiley

Yeah those button look pretty nice i like it Smiley i was gonna build something similar, but then my modded RPI with relay came to birth and i never looked back Smiley
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:18:29 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 03:04:41 AM by yun9999

Uncle stopped by and said "YES NHAN!  Support our community and their business!"  Threw me a small bone.

He said, take this money and go to Amazon to Support Hawkfish007 new adventure on Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WRX86YN/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_s7qRybC027P01

PM me if you did so I see our strength in numbers.  I will sweeten the deal by Paypal you $5 if your order is before Feb 23rd, since the Cashback coupon for Amazon appears to be failing.  This is also my contribution.  I get Zero kickbacks and you're not going to make Hawkfish rich anytime soon, he's doing it to help our Community get risers FASTER and when we need it.  Show our BOY some love as a VERIFIED purchaser and hook him up with a 5 Star review!!!  

Now back to our normal station and less commercials.  Just love when our forum members are doing things that are making positive impact to our community.
yun9999 (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 02:21:16 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 04:29:31 AM by yun9999

Biostar P85 just arrived.  But I got something even better coming so I decided not to even bother with this MB.   The build quality look decent for the price and this gives everyone a cheap 6 GPU options whenever the H81 is not available at only $69.99.  Everything looks higher quality then the ASROCK but only time will tell.

A quick picture to show the size difference compare to the ASROCK H81

Stay tune to see which EXCITING NEW SEXY 7 GPU MB I decided to proceed with as the LGA 1150 is an aging platform.  

HINTS - IT WILL BE FAST, RACING FAST and have VERY SEXY LIGHTS!!!  Lights also dances to the music...........HMMMMMMMMM

Tasty Potato

Activity: 231

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 07:24:05 AM

At last, I am on the last page finishing reading  Tongue

Some enlighting stuff here, but being like an ant to a human with my 2+1 RX 480s (waiting for risers) and your 60+ million rigs >_<
I see you are on a serious mining hobby wave and reaching your max capacity with 10-20+ rigs, I thought to ask what would you do next after physically not being able to 'grow' rigs?

Will you find a way to go somewhat semi-commercial capacity, like finding some cheap unit or structure in your neighborhood? Or will it eat major part of the income?

The second idea I had for you was to dig!  Cheesy   Like somewhat in 'prison break'
If you can't go up, left or right - the only wat it to go down. It will require some great planning considering new challenges for intake/outtake cooling.

What will you do after reaching max rigs?

hmm, third option - to rent or barter your friend's or relative's property to set up a new shed  Grin
eretron

Activity: 156

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:36:29 AM

First of all, great thread...

I see you are quite MSI oriented Cheesy Do you have any issues with them... I was NITRO+ user until now, but considering giving some MSI chance to shine Cheesy

All the best

bittawm
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 10:30:47 AM

what is your total MHS per day

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 »  All