Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:34:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero under scrutiny of the FBI  (Read 15208 times)
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 05:31:05 PM

I tried to withdraw Monero from Bitfinex and after 20 hours they cancelled my request. Thinking something went wrong I tried it again and got my account on withdrawal hold a few hours after.

Not sure what's going on but I wouldn't be surprised it has something to do with the FBI thing.

I will update you when/if the support gets back to me. I have $xxxx stuck there (I'm lucky I got 1BTC out of there just hours before the account was put on hold).

Good luck getting your coins, I really hope you get them back. It's often quite nerve-jangling when exchanges behave like you're experiencing... and most of the time not a good sign indeed.
loserkids

Activity: 83
Merit: 13

Bitcoin = Freedom

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2017, 05:38:51 PM

Good luck getting your coins, I really hope you get them back. It's often quite nerve-jangling when exchanges behave like you're experiencing... and most of the time not a good sign indeed.
Thanks, I hope so too.

The funny thing is the money I tried to withdraw was the affiliate payout I got from them. I guess they know the origin of their own funds lol.

I agree this is not a good sign because I've been doing these withdrawals for little over 2 years with no issues and suddenly got rekt.

░★░★░★░   freedomnode.com - BTCitcoin, Cryptography & Decentralization   ░★░★░★░
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 06:13:08 PM

Thanks, I hope so too.

The funny thing is the money I tried to withdraw was the affiliate payout I got from them. I guess they know the origin of their own funds lol.

I agree this is not a good sign because I've been doing these withdrawals for little over 2 years with no issues and suddenly got rekt.

What does it mean "affiliate payout"?
I hope you will get your money and I hope they dont have some troubles again.
If I were you I would open your own thread for this. To warn others if they try to scam you.
flipme

Activity: 2170
Merit: 640

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 06:18:53 PM

Maybe we see the beginning of a worldwide crackdown on money laundering thru crypto, with China leading the way.
Bitfinex is a Hongkong OP? Are they affected by the ruling?

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
loserkids

Bitcoin = Freedom

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2017, 06:23:25 PM

What does it mean "affiliate payout"?
I have a blog about Bitcoin and a few of my articles contain a unique affiliate link pointing to Bitfinex. Tons of people registered through it and trade. Of whatever trading fee they pay to Bitfinex I get paid 10% as a commission.

If I were you I would open your own thread for this. To warn others if they try to scam you.
I'm resolving this issue with them right now. I'll create my own thread if necessary. So far I'm not entirely sure they want to steal my money.

Maybe we see the beginning of a worldwide crackdown on money laundering thru crypto, with China leading the way.
Bitfinex is a Hongkong OP? Are they affected by the ruling?
They have two companies, one is in HK and the other one in BVI.

░★░★░★░   freedomnode.com - BTCitcoin, Cryptography & Decentralization   ░★░★░★░
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 06:35:13 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2017, 02:16:14 AM by Spoetnik

I tried to withdraw Monero from Bitfinex and after 20 hours they cancelled my request. Thinking something went wrong I tried it again and got my account on withdrawal hold a few hours after.

Not sure what's going on but I wouldn't be surprised it has something to do with the FBI thing.

I will update you when/if the support gets back to me. I have $xxxx stuck there (I'm lucky I got 1BTC out of there just hours before the account was put on hold).

No god damn shit Investards.
They are doing what they are told to do ..following AML law.

Cryptsy said they had a procedure of doing that shit.
If they take your ID they all do it.

They can hand off your info to the Fed's then lock your account and lie to you with excuses.
I fucking told you all that endlessly why the fuck are you not listening ?

How do i know ?
BitJohn from Cryptsy told us that exactly here on the forum kidiots.

This is not some little FUD conspiracy trolling you wanna chant on about.

THEN and only then can we go further and discuss rampant corruption.. ON TOP OF ALL THAT !
..such as them fucking with balances for their own profits etc.
Which YES does happen too.

PS:
Coinbase.

Need me to elaborate ?

Their cooperation with the US Fed's got the KickAssTorrents owner thrown in fucking jail !
That is not "FUD" assholes.. that is your "Free market" at work dumb fucks  Roll Eyes

..paid your taxes lately ?

GROW THE FUCK UP LITTLE SHITS  Roll Eyes

PPS:
Get it FEBO ?
Quit acting like a fucking naive little child.
Of course they "will do it again" duh use your fucking brain and read what i just said.. AGAIN

Jesus you people are gullible little fuck's.

FUD first & ask questions later™
blackhawkeye1912

Activity: 784
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2017, 08:58:06 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/fbi-concerned-about-criminal-use-of-private-cryptocurrency-monero/

The privacy-focused digital currency monero has captured the attention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which has expressed concerns over its use among criminals.

Following the event, the special agent said he couldn't provide additional details specifically pertaining to the FBI’s investigative techniques surrounding monero when asked by CoinDesk.

Thats what you get when you promote as cryptocurrency your direct links to darknet markets, i guess.
The FBI's full attention and subject to its investigative techniques.

According to the news, Monero is just under the Scrutiny of the FBI because they thought that criminals is doing any transaction using Monero under crypto currencies. This is just under investigation, still has no proof of evidence. This has no difference with bitcoin before when the country banned bitcoin like Russia they accused bitcoin for a crime or criminal case correct me if I'm wrong. But like what others said Monero is just an altcoin not a Bitcoin.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 02:20:57 AM

@blackhawkeye1912

Jr. you have balls ?

Head over to Poloniex hand them your ID then start occasionally sending 30 grand worth of Monero to a watched or well known bad person like a drug lord on Alpha Bay or a Terrorist.

Eventually you can come back here and claim there was problems with your account.

Grow up and quit bullshitting childish little idiots.
The writing is on the wall and it has been for years.

The is 0 wiggle room to deny shit and play little games with semantics.
Your "freedom" is long gone Investards.

And YOU let it happen !

..when i did NOT.

PS:

http://www.coindesk.com/localbitcoins-users-criminal-charges-florida/

Hmm what is that from 2013 ?
Seems the FBI put hand cuffs on people in a parking lot over a transfer of $30,000 worth of Bitcoin.
Why ?
AML laws.
When ? 4 years ago.
Did you idiots learn anything ? Obviously not or KickAssTorrents would still be up & running.

Don't pretend to be smart at Bitcointalk kidiots.. BE smart !

..grow up Investards

loserkids

Bitcoin = Freedom

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2017, 04:42:16 PM

Just a quick update. Bitfinex unlocked my account today without any further explanation (apart from them mistakenly locking up hundreds of accounts). I already withdrew some money and it was processed within 5 minutes.

instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 05:03:08 PM

Just a quick update. Bitfinex unlocked my account today without any further explanation (apart from them mistakenly locking up hundreds of accounts). I already withdrew some money and it was processed within 5 minutes.

Nice to hear that! It's good to hear that Bitfinex has solved your issues. I'm staying away from most exchanges these days...

Deliberately locking and unlocking accounts is not exactly inviting and calming, isn't it?
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 10, 2017, 05:40:58 PM

So i posted a lie here ? Like my Monero negative rating i got ?

yeah ?

Where ?

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 07:00:43 AM

Well there is NOW Monero Ransomware and i wonder who will be sniffing around now ?

1.0 To Transparent Blockchains. (i.e. The greatest antidote to "Backdoored Crypto" is to get rid of the walls).

A couple of years ago I wrote of encryption-based obfuscated blockchain technology:

a swiss bank account for rich people except without the "trusted third party auditor” (which in bitcoin is the eyes of the world - not an algo) and therefore a breeding ground for scams, heists, deceptions and (ironically) corruption

Thats because slapping a pile of encryption on top of a bearer token that’s already decoupled from any off-chain identity simply gives cover to attackers and hides their exploits from the view of those who have to back its value (the general public).

Not only that, it adds a whole new layer of fertile, human generated “crap code” in which to harvest those exploits. Now that harvest is starting to be reaped…

...only as long as eagle-eyed geeks keep coming along and saving your bacon.

In other words, Obfuscated blockchain technology is flaky as f*k. Ok as the SSL of crypto but in terms of a store of value, about as secure as investing in time bombs.

(P.S. All the above exploits have been "fixed". So nothing to worry about Wink )

dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 08:02:40 AM

Monero is not BITCOIN.

Monero is an "Altcoin"  Cheesy

Monero is an altcoin like bitcoin is.
dinofelis

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 08:12:12 AM

Well there is NOW Monero Ransomware and i wonder who will be sniffing around now ?

1.0 To Transparent Blockchains. (i.e. The greatest antidote to "Backdoored Crypto" is to get rid of the walls).

A couple of years ago I wrote of encryption-based obfuscated blockchain technology:

a swiss bank account for rich people except without the "trusted third party auditor” (which in bitcoin is the eyes of the world - not an algo) and therefore a breeding ground for scams, heists, deceptions and (ironically) corruption

Thats because slapping a pile of encryption on top of a bearer token that’s already decoupled from any off-chain identity simply gives cover to attackers and hides their exploits from the view of those who have to back its value (the general public).

Not only that, it adds a whole new layer of fertile, human generated “crap code” in which to harvest those exploits. Now that harvest is starting to be reaped…

...only as long as eagle-eyed geeks keep coming along and saving your bacon.

In other words, Obfuscated blockchain technology is flaky as f*k. Ok as the SSL of crypto but in terms of a store of value, about as secure as investing in time bombs.

Several points to make:

1) I don't believe in public indications of how one can make extra money.  If you know how to do so, for sure you're not going to tell the world, but exploit it for yourself, no ?  If I knew how to make extra monero by an exploit, for sure I would do it, and not tell anyone.  Who is crazy enough to divulgate that ?  Not very credible.

2) A crypto currency is not a store of value.  It is a means to transact value.  Yes, it is a store of value between the moment of obtaining it (selling stuff) and the moment of spending it (buying stuff).  It only matters what happens in between. 

If you think you can long term store value in crypto, you're deluded.
shewasfourteen

Activity: 686
Merit: 261

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 08:30:26 AM

The biggest Drug market already use monero. More and more stores and criminals moving from bitcoin to monero. FBI just preparing....
PovertyByte

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 08:58:03 AM

The biggest Drug market already use monero. More and more stores and criminals moving from bitcoin to monero. FBI just preparing....

They probably already cracked Ring CT they are just letting the web thicken before busting everyone
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1052

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2017, 09:04:17 AM

not true. what are you claiming about. the drug market is huge if it were used by drug cartels, monero's prices wouldn't be that low. i even regret putting my money to it. I have lost profit with it until i moved to Dash Cheesy monero keeps claiming throne they know nothing about.

▄██▄▄                          ▄████
             ▄█▀   ▀▀▄▄                    ▄█▀▀   ▀█▄
            █▀         ▀▄                ▄█▀        █▄
           █▀   ▄█▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀      ▀▄   █▄
          ▄█   ▄█▀███▄▄                          █   ▀█
          █    ▀   ▀████▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        █   █▄
          █         ▀████████████████████████▄▄▄      ██
         ██        ▄██████████████████████████████▄    ▀█▄
        ▄█▀     ▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████▄▄   ▀█▄
      ▄█▀     █████████████              ▀▀████████████▄   █▄
    ▄█▀        ▄██████████████▀▀█▄    ▄▄     █  ▀██ ▀███▄   ██
   ███▄▄     ▄███████████▀▀           ▀██▄        ▀  ▀▀     █▀
     █▀     ███████████▀                               ▄▀   ██
    █▀    ▄██████████▀                       ▄▄▄       ▀   ▄█
   █▀    ▄██████████▀           ▄▄      ▀▀████████▄         ▀██▄
  █▀    ▄███████████          ▄██▀   ▀▀█▄   ▀███████▄▄▄██▄▄   ▀██▄
 █▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ████      ▀██▄  ▀████████   ▀▀▀    ▀█▄
▄█              ▀▀█           ████  ▄▄█▄▄███▄  ▀██████           ▀█▄
██▄▄▄▄▄                       █████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀████▄           ██
       ▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄                █████▄▄▄            ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▄██
               ▀▀▀▄▄           ▀█████████████████▄▄          ▄▀▀▀
                    ▀▀▄▄         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀
                        ▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ▄██   ▄██▄    ▄█▄   ▀████▄
 ██▀    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀█     ▀███
██▀   ▄███   ███▄▄▄█▄    ▀███
██    ███  ▄█▀▀█▀▀███     ███
██    ███▄▄██ █▄█▄ ███    ██▀
██        ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀     ██
██▄   ▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄     ▄█▀
 ██▄█▀  █▄▄█ █▄  █ ▄▄   ▄██
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
WIN REAL CRYPTO IN THE REAL DROP
JOIN $20,000,000 CRYPTODROP
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
|▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀████
████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████▀  ▄█████
██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██▀  ▄███████
████████▄ ▀█▄   ▄█████████
██████████▄ ██ ▀██████████
█████████▀   ▀█▄ ▀████████
███████▀  ▄██▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████
█████▀  ▄██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀████
████▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄████
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
dinofelis

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 02:08:10 PM

They probably already cracked Ring CT they are just letting the web thicken before busting everyone

Cracking crypto is not that easy if it is well designed.  Crypto is not "software".  It is mathematics.
Cracking Pythagoras' theorem is still not happening.  (ok, I'm joking somewhat).

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 05:23:23 PM

Cracking crypto is not that easy if it is well designed.  Crypto is not "software".  It is mathematics.
Cracking Pythagoras' theorem is still not happening.  (ok, I'm joking somewhat).

Bullshit.

I am a cracker i would know.
It all revolves around computers.
Then as a cracker you look for a weak spot and exploit it.. WHAT does not matter.
For example dumb fucks like to say ohhhhh well you can't crack my algo..
Who gives a shit !
If you can go around the wall then...

And computer crap is proven to be insecure.
Trusting a system is dumb.. none are trust worthy.
History proves this loud & clear.

Where is that next buffer overflow or SQL injection ? No one knows LOL

And easy Dino boy ?
Are you the fucking NSA ?
You should be quiet Dino. hahahhah
We're not talking about some 14 yr old kid in his basement on his own.

We are talking about a country that has unlimited resources.
You SHOULD know that too but you are playing dumb and spewing poor quality Monero defense rhetoric to defend it.
And you can't deny it because i just quoted it.
And i know you will because all you do here is play games galore.

I think the community here sees your a little dreamer with your head in the clouds.
If you want to appeal to these guys you should work on being realistic, practical and.. honest.

Dino.. "easy" ?
Who gives s fucking shit.. all it takes and all that is needed is ONE hack incident.
..like their gambling site LOL

Maybe you should read your dev pony's rhetoric ? Wink

..but I really think the lesson to other operators is not to be overconfident in your code or in your setup. Everything can and will be compromised, so assume it's going to happen and put safeguards in place to handle that eventual scenario.

dinofelis

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 06:24:14 PM

Cracking crypto is not that easy if it is well designed.  Crypto is not "software".  It is mathematics.
Cracking Pythagoras' theorem is still not happening.  (ok, I'm joking somewhat).

Bullshit.

I am a cracker i would know.
It all revolves around computers.
Then as a cracker you look for a weak spot and exploit it.. WHAT does not matter.

No, you don't.   Nobody ever cracked DES.  Yes, the key length was too short and it ended up being bruteforced.  But nobody ever CRACKED it.  Same for many other cryptographic protocols. 

If I give you the monero block chain, and nothing else, then chances are VERY VERY low that you will find a way to descrable it, if the crypto was correctly implemented. 

That's something entirely different from breaking into a computer system.  We're talking about mathematics here.  If the mathematics are sound, and if they were correctly implemented, which is not too hard to verify, then this is something entirely different than finding a buffer overflow.  You're not looking at a running system, you're looking at an encrypted piece of data.  Most of the time, this cannot be undone.  Of course, it is not unthinkable that the cryptography used has a hole in it, or is erroneously implemented.   The implementation is usually rather easy to check, because, contrary to a computing system with a very complicated state space, the real cryptographic state space is relatively simple to verify.

You'll find rarely an erroneous implementation of AES or of a public key cryptosystem.  These are usually correctly implemented, especially if it is done by someone aware of cryptography.  Once this code has FINISHED its calculation, and you are only left with the output data, "cracking" is of a more difficult nature than penetrating a running system.

Yes, you can maybe enter a running computer that is encrypting a file with AES.  However, once you have the output, and you only have the output, good luck in "cracking" it.  Totally different story.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: