May 11, 2024, 01:14:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 10680 10681 10682 10683 10684 10685 10686 10687 10688 10689 10690 10691 10692 10693 10694 10695 10696 10697 10698 10699 10700 10701 10702 10703 10704 10705 10706 10707 10708 10709 10710 10711 10712 10713 10714 10715 10716 10717 10718 10719 10720 10721 10722 10723 10724 10725 10726 10727 10728 10729 [10730] 10731 10732 10733 10734 10735 10736 10737 10738 10739 10740 10741 10742 10743 10744 10745 10746 10747 10748 10749 10750 10751 10752 10753 10754 10755 10756 10757 10758 10759 10760 10761 10762 10763 10764 10765 10766 10767 10768 10769 10770 10771 10772 10773 10774 10775 10776 10777 10778 10779 10780 ... 33341 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381748 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:14:14 AM

$250 by the end of the month, I reckon.

Silver parity at this rate

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:16:47 AM

Most credit cards and banks cover for unauthorized losses, which BTC does not have this insurance.

But they pass this cost of fraud onto the consumer, effectively raising the price of everything you buy. BTC insurance could become a fairly large industry.

Citation please?  People here say that a lot but I've never seen any proof that fraud is a line in COGS

Trolling? In US gas stations in some states list prices in cash and credit card. Credit card fraud costs millions each year, doesn't take a genius to realize that someone is paying for that, guess who that someone is  Roll Eyes

Wow Only one example without citation.  They don't do that in my state or any states from NY to VA.  By your idiotic logic, I can claim that merchants are passing all their costs to the consumer including rents and payroll insurance, etc..

twiifm

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:18:29 AM

Most credit cards and banks cover for unauthorized losses, which BTC does not have this insurance.

But they pass this cost of fraud onto the consumer, effectively raising the price of everything you buy. BTC insurance could become a fairly large industry.

Citation please?  People here say that a lot but I've never seen any proof that fraud is a line in COGS

I assume the merchants are subsidising that in the fees they pay.

Mainly is the " interchange fee" the Visa and MC and AMex, Disc pays to the middle merchant banks to promote their cards,which includes interest 2-3% and per transaction fees.

Yes merchants pay a cc fee.  But any proof they pass this onto consumer?  I think they just eat it in their margin.  I know my business did
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:26:36 AM

Citation please?  People here say that a lot but I've never seen any proof that fraud is a line in COGS

Mainly is the " interchange fee" the Visa and MC and AMex, Disc pays to the middle merchant banks to promote their cards,which includes interest 2-3% and per transaction fees.

Yes merchants pay a cc fee.  But any proof they pass this onto consumer?  I think they just eat it in their margin.  I know my business did

The intermediary bank and association pays for it.

But the "interchange" association will reimburse some of the loss to the final merchant if they used rules like i.d. verification  and physical swipe of transaction  them from the buyer, online sales are much higher risk than physical location, therefore the higher interest and swipe charges for online merchants.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:46:34 AM

DEBT METEOR APPROACHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TwZG-TFhdG0
twiifm

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:55:28 AM

Citation please?  People here say that a lot but I've never seen any proof that fraud is a line in COGS

Yes merchants pay a cc fee.  But any proof they pass this onto consumer?  I think they just eat it in their margin.  I know my business did

But the "interchange" association will reimburse some of the loss to the final merchant if they used rules like i.d. verification  and physical swipe of transaction  them from the buyer, online sales are much higher risk than physical location, therefore the higher interest and swipe charges for online merchants.

Thank you.

I also think the claim that bitcoin is cheaper than CC is bogus.  Cost per transaction is all time low and it's still around $8-9.  A year ago it was almost $80 per transaction

https://blockchain.info/charts/cost-per-transaction

On top of that there's the 9% inflation from block rewards

ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:59:59 AM

Bitfinex

Bitstamp

Explanation
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2793
Merit: 1820

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:00:52 AM

Trolling? In US gas stations in some states list prices in cash and credit card. Credit card fraud costs millions each year, doesn't take a genius to realize that someone is paying for that, guess who that someone is  Roll Eyes

Wow Only one example without citation.  They don't do that in my state or any states from NY to VA.  By your idiotic logic, I can claim that merchants are passing all their costs to the consumer including rents and payroll insurance, etc..

Try broadening your horizons and getting at least out of your state for starters. Yes they do that's basic business. Covering from their margins lol and where do those margins come from? Ok ok have it your way credit cards cover fraud from their margins, which they get by charging the retailer, who pays it from their margins which they get by charging customers. That's why retailers charge higher fee for credit card use (err give discount when you DON'T use CC) where allowed heres one of the first google results http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/business/merchants-consider-credit-card-surcharges-or-cash-discounts.html?_r=0 i didn't really read the whole thing don't have time to entertain every troll
BitThink
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:02:16 AM

Thank you.

I also think the claim that bitcoin is cheaper than CC is bogus.  Cost per transaction is all time low and it's still around $8-9.  A year ago it was almost $80 per transaction

What does this "cost per transaction" mean? The price of 0.0001 BTC? The Btcpay or coinbase fee? I think maybe mining cost / transaction count? Then it has nothing to do with the merchants or customer.
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:04:53 AM

Thank you.

What does this "cost per transaction" mean? The price of 0.0001 BTC? The Btcpay or coinbase fee? I think maybe mining cost / transaction count? Then it has nothing to do with the merchants or customer.

"Cost per Transaction A chart showing miners revenue divided by the number of transactions."

Build in process to distribute decentralized currency taken as a transaction cost, i guess when someone is on the mission to disproof something facts don't matter
twiifm

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:06:48 AM

Try broadening your horizons and getting at least out of your state for starters. Yes they do that's basic business. Covering from their margins lol and where do those margins come from? Ok ok have it your way credit cards cover fraud from their margins, which they get by charging the retailer, who pays it from their margins which they get by charging customers. That's why retailers charge higher fee for credit card use (err give discount when you DON'T use CC) where allowed heres one of the first google results http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/business/merchants-consider-credit-card-surcharges-or-cash-discounts.html?_r=0 i didn't really read the whole thing don't have time to entertain every troll

Did you even read the article you linked? 
samsonn25

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:11:27 AM

IN a perfect world, retailers hate credit cards as they lose some profit from the sale.

But in reality and mostly in practice they are willing to give up this small percentage and surcharge as credit cards enable easier funds transfer than cash for many customers.

The result of this may be an increase of sales of 200-1000% for the retailer.  So in the end they make more sales to make up for the smaller profit.

The worst example is gas stations which may only make 5-8 cents per gallon of gas, and may lose money when the price of gas is expensive because of the credit card surcharges.  But in fact they dont make much from gas sales they make most of their money from the sales inside the market and convenience store.  Like cigarettes, candy, soda, chips, things with much higher profit margin. The gas is to lure them to the shop.
twiifm

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:15:12 AM

Thank you.

"Cost per Transaction A chart showing miners revenue divided by the number of transactions."

Build in process to distribute decentralized currency taken as a transaction cost, i guess when someone is on the mission to disproof something facts don't matter

The only reason the cost went down is because the price went down.  When price is was higher it was way more expensive than CC.  Somebody has to pay for that.  It's not low cost as many claim

DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:18:07 AM

IN a perfect world, retailers hate credit cards as they lose some profit from the sale.

But in reality and mostly in practice they are willing to give up this small percentage and surcharge as credit cards enable easier funds transfer than cash for many customers.

The result of this may be an increase of sale of 200-1000% for the retailer.  So in the end they make more sales to make up for the smaller profit.

The worst example is gas stations which may only make 5-8 cents per gallon of gas, and may lose money when the price of gas is expensive because of the credit card surcharges.  But in fact they dont make much from gas sales they make most of their money from the sales inside the market and convenience store.  Like cigarettes, candy, soda, chips.  The gas is to lure them to the shop.

Sure can't argue with that, but why should it be cost averaged between all payment methods when i pay cash? Apply a convenience fee on the purchasers with credit card. Oops "credit card surcharges are prohibited in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mybanktracker/that-credit-card-convenie_b_4956839.html but they can give discounts on non credit card transactions. And you can't use cash over the internet oh wait...
samsonn25

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:20:08 AM

yes.

There is still a long way to go for fast electronic cash transactions.

DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:20:24 AM

Thank you.

The only reason the cost went down is because the price went down.  When price is was higher it was way more expensive than CC.  Somebody has to pay for that.  It's not low cost as many claim

Huh what are you talking about? Do explain why i as a consumer or a merchants care how much miners are getting?
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:23:07 AM

For reference
twiifm

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:30:12 AM

Thank you.

Huh what are you talking about? Do explain why i as a consumer or a merchants care how much miners are getting?

If you pay a merchant directly with Bitcoin the transaction fee goes to miner.  So who pays for that?  If the merchant pays for it what incentive do they have over CC?  The whole argument that merchant have incentive to choose Bitcoin over CC and pass the savings to consumer has no legs
twiifm

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:31:13 AM

For reference

What about 95% of other business that don't do this?
samsonn25

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:41:12 AM

Thank you.

The only reason the cost went down is because the price went down.  When price is was higher it was way more expensive than CC.  Somebody has to pay for that.  It's not low cost as many claim

If you pay a merchant directly with Bitcoin the transaction fee goes to miner.  So who pays for that?  If the merchant pays for it what incentive do they have over CC?  The whole argument that merchant have incentive to choose Bitcoin over CC and pass the savings to consumer has no legs

Merchants only want to profit more for themselves.    Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 10680 10681 10682 10683 10684 10685 10686 10687 10688 10689 10690 10691 10692 10693 10694 10695 10696 10697 10698 10699 10700 10701 10702 10703 10704 10705 10706 10707 10708 10709 10710 10711 10712 10713 10714 10715 10716 10717 10718 10719 10720 10721 10722 10723 10724 10725 10726 10727 10728 10729 [10730] 10731 10732 10733 10734 10735 10736 10737 10738 10739 10740 10741 10742 10743 10744 10745 10746 10747 10748 10749 10750 10751 10752 10753 10754 10755 10756 10757 10758 10759 10760 10761 10762 10763 10764 10765 10766 10767 10768 10769 10770 10771 10772 10773 10774 10775 10776 10777 10778 10779 10780 ... 33341 »
  Print  

Jump to: