May 04, 2024, 08:27:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 28331 28332 28333 28334 28335 28336 28337 28338 28339 28340 28341 28342 28343 28344 28345 28346 28347 28348 28349 28350 28351 28352 28353 28354 28355 28356 28357 28358 28359 28360 28361 28362 28363 28364 28365 28366 28367 28368 28369 28370 28371 28372 28373 28374 28375 28376 28377 28378 28379 28380 [28381] 28382 28383 28384 28385 28386 28387 28388 28389 28390 28391 28392 28393 28394 28395 28396 28397 28398 28399 28400 28401 28402 28403 28404 28405 28406 28407 28408 28409 28410 28411 28412 28413 28414 28415 28416 28417 28418 28419 28420 28421 28422 28423 28424 28425 28426 28427 28428 28429 28430 28431 ... 33322 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372086 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 3003

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 10:39:55 PM

whenever i hear or read that i lost a close friend from the old times, which i haven't seen/heard of for a long time (over a decade), i look up the music we shared in our times of close friendship. It's like temporary revival in the form of memories, because you don't have a chance to experience their presence ever again.
I use the music to start the process of letting go.

I know that dying is a part of life, which allows us to be able to feel these kind of things.
I don't beg for condolence here, by the way.

Maybe some of you remember one of these persons, who you wanted to call or write for longer times, but didn't make it yet for whatever reason.

Good night/day.
fucking timezones!

Meanwhile, king daddy does what king daddy does...  Cool

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 12038

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 10:44:16 PM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

foto plaatjes
ivomm
Legendary

Activity: 1853
Merit: 2841

All good things to those who wait

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 11:04:18 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2021, 11:28:32 PM by ivomm
Merited by vapourminer (1), philipma1957 (1), JayJuanGee (1)

Since when we saw the tail wagging the dog (derivatives dragging corn down), I've become wary. TPTB have an unlimited amount of shiat money to throw at any ETF. Then who audits the ETF? Who audits the auditors? Physical corn, on the other hand, has this self custody thing that is very very hard to dodge... Wink

The ETF thing in general is good, but there are multiple problems that may appear and instead of blessing to become an obstacle (at least temporary) in terms of the price increase. First, there are two types of ETF - cash settled and physically settled. The first type won't have any affect on the price. But the second will have an impact, because the BTC's will be bought from the spot exchanges in USA. I don't think some respected company like Fidelity or CBOE will risk faking the purchases of BTC's. If they don't have the asset, they will have to use customers money to pay the new customers. This will make them a ponzi, and as we all know the law in USA is severe in such cases. The most famous case is Maydoff's, who faked profits from the activity of the firms and used the new cash to pay the interest. I believe the court gave him 150 years in prison effective sentence. So, although possible, it is highly unlikely this will happen. But, SEC are cautious and want to be 100% sure that the custody is well established and working. May be this was one of the main reasons for the denials in 2017. But now the things are different - Bakkt, Grayscale, Paypal, G&S, Fidelity, M&S, etc. are respected financial giants who managed to secure licenced in USA custody with insurance in case of theft. Therefore I think the probability of creating fake volume with non existent bitcoins is practically 0.

However, there are other problems that may affect the price in a negative way. The first problem is how exactly the 650K BTC's held by Grayscale will be managed if the premium continues to be negative. Will they apply for an ETF and somehow transfer the BTC's in the ETF market? There is a chance that the things may go wrong for awhile and thus causing some panic in the spot market. The other big problem is that the high expectations may lead to another Dec. 2017 buble like increase that may end just as badly. People thought that the cash settled futures will have a positive impact on the price. Then the great dissapointment came. A similar thing happened when Bakkt started. So there may be some drawbacks after all. Hopefully they will not bring another 2-year bear winter. But once the ETF market becomes fully operational, we can expect at least several trillions $ invested in BTC for a short time of 1-2 years perhaps. And the best scenario is everything to go smoothly with an extended multi year bull market. I think the odds for that are much greater because of the new big players, who don't seek a quick profit.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2021, 11:23:29 PM

Since when we saw the tail wagging the dog (derivatives dragging corn down), I've become wary. TPTB have an unlimited amount of shiat money to throw at any ETF. Then who audits the ETF? Who audits the auditors? Physical corn, on the other hand, has this self custody thing that is very very hard to dodge... Wink

The ETF thing in general is good, but there are multiple problems that may appear and instead of blessing to become an obstacle (at least temporary) in terms of the price increase. First, there are two types of ETF - cash settled and physically settled. The first type won't have any affect on the price. But the second will have an impact, because the BTC's will be bought from the spot exchanges in USA. I don't think some respected company like Fidelity or CBOE will risk faking the purchases of BTC's. If they don't have the asset, they will have to use customers money to pay the new customers. This will make them a ponzi, and as we all know the law in USA is severe in such cases. The most famous case is Maydoff's, who faked profits from the activity of the firms and used the new cash to pay the interest. I believe the court gave him 150 years in prison effective sentence. So, although possible, it is highly unlikely this will happen. But, SEC are cautious and want to be 100% sure that the custody is well established and working. May be this was one of the main reasons for the denials in 2017. But now the things are different - Bakkt, Grayscale, Paypal, G&S, Fidelity, M&S, etc. are respected financial giants who managed to secure licenced in USA custody with insurance in case of theft. Therefore I think the probability of creating fake volume with non existent bitcoins is practically 0.

However, there are other problems that may affect the price in a negative way. The first problem is how exactly the 650K BTC's held by Grayscale will be managed if the premium continues to be negative. Will they apply for an ETF and somehow transfer the BTC's in the ETF market? There is a chance that the things may go wrong for awhile and thus causing some panic in the spot market. The other big problem is that the high expectations may lead to another Dec. 2017 buble like increase that may end just as badly. People thought that the cash settled futures will have a positive impact on the price. Then the great dissapointment came. A similar thing happened when Bakkt started. So there may be some drawbacks after all. Hopefully they will not bring another 2-year bear winter. But once the ETF market becames fully operational, we can expect at least several trillions $ invested in BTC for a short time of 1-2 years perhaps. And the best scenario is everything to go smoothly with an extended multi year bull market. I think the odds for that are much greater because of the new big players, who don't seek a quick profit.

October 2020 to June 2022 seems about right.
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 11:27:02 PM

The way I see it, cash settled can "wag the dog" almost as powerfully - at least if the ETF issuer has any clearinghouse function: if number go up, any redeeming of ETF stock must follow the price, basically forcing whoever clears the stocks to hedge against price moves by holding physical btc or other reliable derivatives.

Now let's forget about this for a moment and consider a hypothetical situation: what happens to "the number" when someone short sells, or naked short sells, a btc ETF with the might of a full brrr press?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 11:37:10 PM

However, there are other problems that may affect the price in a negative way. The first problem is how exactly the 650K BTC's held by Grayscale will be managed if the premium continues to be negative. Will they apply for an ETF and somehow transfer the BTC's in the ETF market? There is a chance that the things may go wrong for awhile and thus causing some panic in the spot market. The other big problem is that the high expectations may lead to another Dec. 2017 buble like increase that may end just as badly. People thought that the cash settled futures will have a positive impact on the price. Then the great dissapointment came. A similar thing happened when Bakkt started. So there may be some drawbacks after all. Hopefully they will not bring another 2-year bear winter. But once the ETF market becomes fully operational, we can expect at least several trillions $ invested in BTC for a short time of 1-2 years perhaps. And the best scenario is everything to go smoothly with an extended multi year bull market. I think the odds for that are much greater because of the new big players, who don't seek a quick profit.

It wasn't popular but it was pointed out.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2730822.0

AlcoHoDL
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 4161

Addicted to HoDLing!

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 11:39:30 PM

However, there are other problems that may affect the price in a negative way. The first problem is how exactly the 650K BTC's held by Grayscale will be managed if the premium continues to be negative. Will they apply for an ETF and somehow transfer the BTC's in the ETF market? There is a chance that the things may go wrong for awhile and thus causing some panic in the spot market. The other big problem is that the high expectations may lead to another Dec. 2017 buble like increase that may end just as badly. People thought that the cash settled futures will have a positive impact on the price. Then the great dissapointment came. A similar thing happened when Bakkt started. So there may be some drawbacks after all. Hopefully they will not bring another 2-year bear winter. But once the ETF market becames fully operational, we can expect at least several trillions $ invested in BTC for a short time of 1-2 years perhaps. And the best scenario is everything to go smoothly with an extended multi year bull market. I think the odds for that are much greater because of the new big players, who don't seek a quick profit.

I don't claim to fully understand the implications of ETFs getting into Bitcoin. At first thought it seems to be a positive thing (mass adoption, recognition, etc.). But, something makes me feel a little wary about such big players entering this space. All those massively powerful entities will have the power to greatly influence the market, and we must assume that their motives will not necessarily be pro-Bitcoin. On the other hand, if Bitcoin is to have a future, it has to be able to withstand any threat and succeed in any challenge. So, I'm not too worried about it. I see all such cases as tests of Bitcoin's robustness. And, so far, Bitcoin has passed all tests with flying colors. I just have a bittersweet taste in my mouth about this one...
d_eddie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 2899

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 11:52:16 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

I don't claim to fully understand the implications of ETFs getting into Bitcoin.
Neither do I, but...

At first thought it seems to be a positive thing (mass adoption, recognition, etc.). But, something makes me feel a little wary about such big players entering this space. All those massively powerful entities will have the power to greatly influence the market, and we must assume that their motives will not necessarily be pro-Bitcoin.

The problem is they will be able to do so without buying a single satoshi. That's why I advocate strict 'in kind' redemption (physical) and fastidious auditing. Which can only be done on the etf issuer reserves: it is impossible to do on the etf stock once it is out on the market. For a reminder, think of other stocks with short interest ABOVE the float.

It has happened, it happens everyday. GME is the latest famous example. And the asses of the shorters were saved by some opaque chain of factors - Robinhood, the clearinghouse, the antiquate short reporting system (they are going to update it to "within a working day" or so - why don't they use a friggin' blockchain or something?) - we will likely never know.

As a final note, I got my skin off GME while still decently in the green as soon as I understood that wielding my diamond hands would have given me no super tendies.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 01:13:29 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

ETF would bring big money, but also levered players in obscure derivatives..witness the Archegos fiasco.
I wouldn't want btc to drop 30% because some dude invested in some "secret contracts" with counterparty banks (swaps or "contracts-for-difference").
https://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/3127532/billions-secret-derivatives-lie-nub-archegos-leverage
No sireee.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 01:37:54 AM

Bears repeating.
some pun intended

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 01:40:09 AM
Merited by OutOfMemory (1)

whenever i hear or read that i lost a close friend from the old times, which i haven't seen/heard of for a long time (over a decade), i look up the music we shared in our times of close friendship. It's like temporary revival in the form of memories, because you don't have a chance to experience their presence ever again.
I use the music to start the process of letting go.

I know that dying is a part of life, which allows us to be able to feel these kind of things.
I don't beg for condolence here, by the way.

Maybe some of you remember one of these persons, who you wanted to call or write for longer times, but didn't make it yet for whatever reason.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah I'm getting better at letting go of grudges, people just go and die for some reason and that's sad.

*hugs*
savetherainforest

Activity: 1848
Merit: 609

Plant 1xTree for each Satoshi earned!

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 01:55:27 AM

Sold some more at $58K, dunno if it was a good idea yet. Cheesy Cheesy

"... this time feels different." Cheesy Cheesy  Roll Eyes
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 2493

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 02:06:37 AM

I would just stick with 5x previous ATH as a conservative expectation. Anything above that is a bonus and depends on factors you cannot predict. Like Michael Saylor said if a few billionaires suddenly enter the game all comparisons with what happened before just go out of the window.

100K 2020-2024

500K 2024-2028

2.5M 2028+

Looking at charts constantly and setting your expectations too high I think is just a waste of time.

You are nearly guilty of some similar thing that you are describing as problematic, BitcoinBunny, no?

Truth of the matter remains that bitcoin is a quite different kind of asset class that has never been witnessed previously in its current incarnation.   Sure there have been variants of bitcoin, and bitcoin was NOT built from scratch, so we cannot really lock it into any kind of model of something that may have previously happened exactly - even while there are some decent parallels such as the internet (just not the value/money part) - while at the same time, some of the models/charts./graphs have better explanatory and predictive power than others, so long as we do not try to read any particular one(s) as gospel, which seems to be a similar thing that you are saying. 

So, even though I am not really disagreeing with you on any of your points - especially regarding varying difficulties in predicting anything that is going to happen "in the future", I do believe that you ended up overstating your case to some degree in the poo pooing of the value of models and charts in these trying times.

Oh, and furthermore, some peeps get more worked up and emotional about charts and models than others, but it does not seem fair to generalize in saying that the varying levels of emotions (and even irrational exuberance from time to time) are necessarily either not warranted because they are speculating about the future rather than celebrating the past or that there might not be some value in going a little crazy in expressing both where we are and in anticipation of where we might be going.. including

CCCCIIIIIIIITTTTTTTEEEEEE   status

regarding our lil fiend.. aka king daddy, aka dee honey badger, aka bitcoin.

wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeee!!!!!

Fair comments.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4473

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 02:33:02 AM

"Be like a cat, my friend. Be strong like a #strongcat with #stronghands." I could have been possibly drunk too, can't remember.

Maybe the cat was drunk too.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 02:48:09 AM

I've already checked price at mobile app before leaving bed.  Please, help meee!!!

How about a bitcoin alarm that wakes you up by reading the price?

Might not be good, Richy... On the one side such an alarm might cause panic or alternatively premature ejection from bed.

What?  Nullius was born??
No he was manufactured in a lab from what have been going around. Cheesy

I hope he is not one of those lab meats, then may have been better to name him:  beyond Nullius, no?
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2781
Merit: 1791

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 03:21:00 AM

Number go up peeps: ETF = good
I'm in it for the tech peeps: ETF = bad

It's just another vehicle for speculators traders.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 04:58:51 AM

Might not be good, Richy... On the one side such an alarm might cause panic or alternatively premature ejection from bed.

I haven't flexed my Android programming muscles in a while. I might give it a go anyway.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 06:11:08 AM
Merited by Hueristic (1)

O/T (but nice!) 

Ahh, the good things one can learn here this forum...

I had wondered what might happen to my passphrase-protected ("13th Word") Trezor wallet were their servers ever to go down.  Turns out that Wasabi Wallet can back up Trezor wallets even when they use the "13th Word" (passphrase), which I did not know until kindly explained to me over there in the Wallets threads.

You have to jump through some hoops (install Trezor Suite which allows bech32 addresses (bc1q.....) so Wasabi & Trezor can exchange info), but it all works.  I set-up a dummy account, and it works.

Nice tool for backing up a Trezor if/when it comes to that.  Recommended!

So, when do we leave these boring $57,xxx numbers?
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 3003

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 06:21:36 AM

So, when do we leave these boring $57,xxx numbers?

Yes, the helicopter needs to move again!

El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 12038

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 06:39:34 AM

Sold some more at $58K, dunno if it was a good idea yet. Cheesy Cheesy

"... this time feels different." Cheesy Cheesy  Roll Eyes

Do you still even got “some” ?!
Pages: « 1 ... 28331 28332 28333 28334 28335 28336 28337 28338 28339 28340 28341 28342 28343 28344 28345 28346 28347 28348 28349 28350 28351 28352 28353 28354 28355 28356 28357 28358 28359 28360 28361 28362 28363 28364 28365 28366 28367 28368 28369 28370 28371 28372 28373 28374 28375 28376 28377 28378 28379 28380 [28381] 28382 28383 28384 28385 28386 28387 28388 28389 28390 28391 28392 28393 28394 28395 28396 28397 28398 28399 28400 28401 28402 28403 28404 28405 28406 28407 28408 28409 28410 28411 28412 28413 28414 28415 28416 28417 28418 28419 28420 28421 28422 28423 28424 28425 28426 28427 28428 28429 28430 28431 ... 33322 »
  Print  

Jump to: