May 09, 2024, 11:20:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 6815 6816 6817 6818 6819 6820 6821 6822 6823 6824 6825 6826 6827 6828 6829 6830 6831 6832 6833 6834 6835 6836 6837 6838 6839 6840 6841 6842 6843 6844 6845 6846 6847 6848 6849 6850 6851 6852 6853 6854 6855 6856 6857 6858 6859 6860 6861 6862 6863 6864 [6865] 6866 6867 6868 6869 6870 6871 6872 6873 6874 6875 6876 6877 6878 6879 6880 6881 6882 6883 6884 6885 6886 6887 6888 6889 6890 6891 6892 6893 6894 6895 6896 6897 6898 6899 6900 6901 6902 6903 6904 6905 6906 6907 6908 6909 6910 6911 6912 6913 6914 6915 ... 33337 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381009 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:01:02 AM

Explanation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10233

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:13:13 AM

I am beginning to like you, ErisDiscoria, even in the midst of all of this supposed "major disagreement."   Cheesy Grin Wink

I feel like difference in opinion, even in fundamental assumptions about life, shouldn't ruin peoples ability to enjoy a beer together and/or have a friendly discussion Smiley

As long as the attacks don't become personal, we should be fine. 

In this regard, I have certain relatives who really love to talk politics with me, and we really have a lot of disagreements about the roll of government and various applications of libertarianism...   I have a couple of relatives who do NOT talk with each other b/c they do NOT like the way conversations devolve, and frequently, I strive NOT to take the conversation too much into the personal.. but it is all a matter of perspective, and sometimes, each of us may go a little too far.. and have to pull back.

Further, sometimes I get the feeling as if couple of my relatives are trapping me into some kind of lunch or breakfast situation, and then ganging up on me, yet ultimately, we generally are friendly enough about our whole exploration of these issues.  A frequent comment that I make is:  "so you guys have been working (studying) all week in order to figure out some ways to attack my world views with your comments."  One time, my grandma, who is in her late 80s was sitting at the table for breakfast with my sister and my uncle going at me, and pretty soon I said, so you want to throw grandma under the bus in order to achieve dismantling of social security.. etc... etc. .. etc...   Of course, they denied such motives, and we all got a kind of laugh about some of these attempts to apply real world situations to our theories.   

Sometimes, if we are going too far in our conversations, we would just revert to talking about some less controversial topic, and in our case, we may be able to revert to talking about how we expect bitcoin prices to go through the roof and when we expect that to happen.   Cheesy Grin Wink
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:16:22 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 01:33:55 AM by shmadz

Look out for free beers on the Wall Observer Thread

Cheers! I used this as my opportunity to learn how to sweep a private key. Not as difficult as I thought it might be.

I will be sending out free beers like this at random times (11am - 11pm EST)

read this thread with a device ready to scan and spend a private key fast and you'll undoubtedly get really dunk of all those bits!

PM me if you would like to contribute the free beer fund, all funds collected will be past out as free beers.

1. log in to your blockchain.info account  (there is a  page to import private keys )
2. in a new tab goto: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx
3. when a beer shows up, copy the image url and decode
4. copy the decoded private key and paste it in blockchain.info. Click "sweep key"
5. order a cold beer Wink

so it's pretty much just quickest on the draw?

it's brilliant actually, it will draw many eyes to this thread, and many refreshes to bitcointalk.org *edit - also great incentive for noobs to learn how to bitcoin*

if you could fork the wall observer to some site that could monetize this and slide the proceeds into the beer fund that would be epic.

either way, you're a legend.

cheers bud.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 01:59:37 AM

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:01:02 AM

Explanation
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:12:33 AM

sweet! it worked!! thanks!!!

(not really, I didn't claim it  Tongue )

but it just got me thinking that anyone who says "thanks" would be linking their avatar account with their public address. so just make a new address before you spend I guess is all I'm saying...

I also advocate that random people just say thanks to obscure the bit-trail. Smiley
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:20:12 AM

damn, 1 second late Smiley

pre-paid drinks are super cool idea now powered by bitcoin
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:22:37 AM

wow, adam's offering free beers and you could drop a pin in here

(guessing everyone is now trying to figure out how to import private keys Smiley )

so I'll take this time to post a chart

those are *almost* completely arbitrary lines I drew a week ago, I think we could go sideways longer than most,

I'm also not certain that this will break to the upside, but that's probably just me hoping for another chance at sub-500 coins...

*(edit cuz I missed rudy's post)*
damn, 1 second late Smiley

pre-paid drinks are super cool idea now powered by bitcoin

did you try and it failed?
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:23:39 AM

sweet! it worked!! thanks!!!

(not really, I didn't claim it  Tongue )

but it just got me thinking that anyone who says "thanks" would be linking their avatar account with their public address. so just make a new address before you spend I guess is all I'm saying...

I also advocate that random people just say thanks to obscure the bit-trail. Smiley

Umm I got it... Thanks Adam!
Arghhh

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:35:12 AM

My most conservative projection:

We're due for a margin cleaner IMO  Grin
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:36:00 AM

no Fundz - 0.00150771 already gone
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:38:15 AM

no Fundz - 0.00150771 already gone

is'nt that like 15 thousand bits on facebook?
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:43:05 AM

(You are not referring to the P != NP conjecture I suppose?  It is just as uncertain, but it has absolutely no relevance to those two assumptions in the bitcoin protocol.)
I am. And it has. At least to 'what the protocol can handle in principle being thrown at it', not 'what the protocol is and does right now'. As long as there are problems that are hard to solve but easy to check, the protocol can be adapted to the threat that a particular problem turned out to be easy to solve after all.

First, let me say that I was just reacting to that "pure incorruptible mathematics" bullshit by the reporter.  I am not arguing that the lack of mathematical proof iis a flaw of bitcoin.  My skepticism does not come from that "flaw" (or from any other strictly technical issue), but from political/social/practical problems, for which my probabilities are obviously different from those of most people in this thread.

As for the P != NP conjecture, I do not need to tell you that it makes sense only if the problem instance size n is allowed to go to infinity, since the difference between polynomial and superpolynomial appears only in the limit, when n is "just about to get there".  The two classes are indistinguishable if one assums that n is bounded, say n < 10^500.  But the bitcoin mining problem and the signature forging problem have a fixed n, threfore only a finite number of instances; in that case, complexity theory says that both problems are trivial and can be solved in constant time (e.g. by a simple table lookup).  Obviously this theoretical conclusion is irrelevant to the practical question. 

The sad fact is that theoretical computer science does not have any tools yet that can provide useful lower bounds for problems of fixed size.   Even assuming P != NP, there is no way to prove that the current protocol, with specific key and hash sizes, is safe.  It may even be the case that forging a bitcoin transaction signature is easier than checking it, or that finding the right nonce for a block is easier than computing SHA256 twice -- independently of whether P = NP or not.  We simply do not know.

If someday one were to find fast solutions for  those puzzles, then complexity theory indeed says that there must exist safe replacements for them -- assuming P != NP, of course.  But the theory cannot identify those replacements, not even tell how many bits one needs to use in keys and hashes to ensure that inverting those functions is hard enough.  Conversely, even if P = NP, the current protocol may be safe, or there may exist safe alternatives for those two puzzles.  (As you surely know, "polynomial" does not mean "computable in practice", and "superpolynomial" does not mean "impossible to compute in practice".)

The difficulty of those two puzzles, for the currently chosen key and hash sizes, has been verified only experimentally, by tests that have ruled out some weaknesses that people have thought of checking.   (For a trivial example, someone surely must have checked that the leading bits of the block hash are not linear functions of the nonce bits, not even approximately.)   However, a thorough check would require testing all possible algorithms (or boolean circuits) up to some large size, for all possible inputs -- which is totally outside the realm of practicality.

With no known shortcuts, exhaustive enumeration is pretty much the best way we now have to solve those puzzles.  That is all one can say about the issue.
shmadz
Legendary

@theshmadz

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 02:50:07 AM

(You are not referring to the P != NP conjecture I suppose?  It is just as uncertain, but it has absolutely no relevance to those two assumptions in the bitcoin protocol.)
I am. And it has. At least to 'what the protocol can handle in principle being thrown at it', not 'what the protocol is and does right now'. As long as there are problems that are hard to solve but easy to check, the protocol can be adapted to the threat that a particular problem turned out to be easy to solve after all.

First, let me say that I was just reacting to that "pure incorruptible mathematics" bullshit by the reporter.  I am not arguing that the lack of mathematical proof iis a flaw of bitcoin.  My skepticism does not come from that "flaw" (or from any other strictly technical issue), but from political/social/practical problems, for which my probabilities are obviously different from those of most people in this thread.

As for the P != NP conjecture, I do not need to tell you that it makes sense only if the problem instance size n is allowed to go to infinity, since the difference between polynomial and superpolynomial appears only in the limit, when n is "just about to get there".  The two classes are indistinguishable if one assums that n is bounded, say n < 10^500.  But the bitcoin mining problem and the signature forging problem have a fixed n, threfore only a finite number of instances; in that case, complexity theory says that both problems are trivial and can be solved in constant time (e.g. by a simple table lookup).  Obviously this theoretical conclusion is irrelevant to the practical question. 

The sad fact is that theoretical computer science does not have any tools yet that can provide useful lower bounds for problems of fixed size.   Even assuming P != NP, there is no way to prove that the current protocol, with specific key and hash sizes, is safe.  It may even be the case that forging a bitcoin transaction signature is easier than checking it, or that finding the right nonce for a block is easier than computing SHA256 twice -- independently of whether P = NP or not.  We simply do not know.

If someday one were to find fast solutions for  those puzzles, then complexity theory indeed says that there must exist safe replacements for them -- assuming P != NP, of course.  But the theory cannot identify those replacements, not even tell how many bits one needs to use in keys and hashes to ensure that inverting those functions is hard enough.  Conversely, even if P = NP, the current protocol may be safe, or there may exist safe alternatives for those two puzzles.  (As you surely know, "polynomial" does not mean "computable in practice", and "superpolynomial" does not mean "impossible to compute in practice".)

The difficulty of those two puzzles, for the currently chosen key and hash sizes, has been verified only experimentally, by tests that have ruled out some weaknesses that people have thought of checking.   (For a trivial example, someone surely must have checked that the leading bits of the block hash are not linear functions of the nonce bits, not even approximately.)   However, a thorough check would require testing all possible algorithms (or boolean circuits) up to some large size, for all possible inputs -- which is totally outside the realm of practicality.

With no known shortcuts, exhaustive enumeration is pretty much the best way we now have to solve those puzzles.  That is all one can say about the issue.

much better

some guy once said "if you wanna be a good writer, write what you know."

*I'm paraphrasing of course*
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:01:03 AM

Explanation
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:05:25 AM

Not to forget, there's some speculation in the more tinfoil-hatty segments that the NSA may have supplied algorithms that are "pre-weakened". Seems unlikely but with everything that has been coming out lately, perhaps not to be dismissed out-of-hand so quickly.
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:11:47 AM

Whoever keeps scooping up the coins from this Beartard on Stamp is going to reap the rewards.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:13:47 AM

Da fuq is up with stamp lately? Its crazy bearish while the other exchanges are fairly neutral.. I cant believe Huobi hasnt tanked yet.
Davyd05

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:14:20 AM

the depth was so low.. think they had to make a nice red candle to scare some weaker hands
Gingermod

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:15:05 AM

1W MACD bout to cross
Pages: « 1 ... 6815 6816 6817 6818 6819 6820 6821 6822 6823 6824 6825 6826 6827 6828 6829 6830 6831 6832 6833 6834 6835 6836 6837 6838 6839 6840 6841 6842 6843 6844 6845 6846 6847 6848 6849 6850 6851 6852 6853 6854 6855 6856 6857 6858 6859 6860 6861 6862 6863 6864 [6865] 6866 6867 6868 6869 6870 6871 6872 6873 6874 6875 6876 6877 6878 6879 6880 6881 6882 6883 6884 6885 6886 6887 6888 6889 6890 6891 6892 6893 6894 6895 6896 6897 6898 6899 6900 6901 6902 6903 6904 6905 6906 6907 6908 6909 6910 6911 6912 6913 6914 6915 ... 33337 »
  Print  

Jump to: