Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:22:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Well Deserved Fortune of Satoshi Nakamoto, Visionary and Genious  (Read 13243 times)
GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 11:26:20 AM

The factual significance of satoshi coins has become much less important in the last 1.5 years.
Could you please back this statement with proper logic ?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 12:38:58 PM

The factual significance of satoshi coins has become much less important in the last 1.5 years.

- They represent less of the total supply than 1.5 yr before
- The time since Satoshi's disappearance is longer, and nothing has happened, giving markets more time to account them
- Bitcoin is older, proving that it is not dependent on Satoshi any more
- Market valuation is not in a bubble anymore - adding more supply suddenly would have turned the tide of events in the boomtime, now hardly
- They represent much less in dollar amount as well.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 01:03:36 PM

- They represent less of the total supply than 1.5 yr before
- The time since Satoshi's disappearance is longer, and nothing has happened, giving markets more time to account them
- Bitcoin is older, proving that it is not dependent on Satoshi any more
- Market valuation is not in a bubble anymore - adding more supply suddenly would have turned the tide of events in the boomtime, now hardly
- They represent much less in dollar amount as well.

All of your statements make sense, except maybe the last since in the same way the total supply of Bitcoin is worth less in dollar amount just like Satoshi's chunk.

Still, 1.5M is a lot of coins and if these coins are to be moved, started being dumped or whatever else, we would see a real super earthquake that would last for a while.

I honestly think that Bitcoin is still not ready for this nor it is big enough to accumulate a move like this or the amount of coins.
gwern

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 04:20:08 PM

To  rpietila's observations, I would add that Bitcoin has already seen an almost Satoshi-sized dumps of coins: USG auctioning off Ross Ulbricht's SR1 coins! He had commissions of something like 600k+ BTC and the US government announced it'd be auctioning off not just the SR1 hot wallet but also all the coins seized off his laptop, for a total of 173,991btc, or almost a fifth of the Satoshi estimates (!). The Bitcoin sky has not fallen.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 06:06:09 AM

Could you please check if https://www.reddit.com/user/btcthwy is accessing reddit via Tor ?

Reddit mods don't have access to that info. (And I wouldn't publish that info anyway.)
I don't think it really matters what IP address he was using, nor if he was accessing reddit via tor (or some other IP masking service).

I can say with a fairly high level of confidence that whoever broadcast the transaction that spent the coinbase inputs is currently located in Australia, has connections to someone who is currently located in Australia, traded with someone that is currently located in Australia, or wanted to give the appearance of being currently located in Australia (I think this is unlikely because of how discrete he was about revealing his connection to Australia). I think the chances of none of the above being accurate are less then ~15% or so.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:21:35 AM

Really... Try to think back and put yourself in 2008.  Shit was going down.  Stocks were collapsing.  News was going crazy with bank apocalypse talk.  Btw, most people still overwhelmingly got their news from the news - reddit was in its infancy and my daily net commute included CNN, Joystiq, and Digg.  Obama was elected, and that in itself was nuts.  Everyone was buzzing about this cool new Facebook thing.  Castle Crashers was coming out, which you could play online with your friends now that Xbox finally got its shit together.  

Look, point is... People had shit to do.  

And then some random mofo wants you to spend your computing cycles running some shady af digital money program?  It took a MASSIVE leap of faith and knowledge to buy into that, because it seemed like a silly nerd experiment at the time and there was no indication it would ever be any more than that.  

When theymos showed up a year after genesis and asked wtf was going on, Satoshi was probably just thrilled that some (anyone) was paying attention.  

Maybe you weren't there- I first encountered Bitcoin in 2012-ish and it *still* seemed shady af.  I'm one of the weirdest people I know and it was too "out there" for even me.  

My point is: there was no premine.  There was merely a period when this stuff was so alien and new that there was literally nothing you could say to convince most people to participate.  

"I have this neat new computer currency" - don't care.  
"It might change finance forever" - no it won't.  
"If you get into this now, you will be rich in a few years" -now you sound like a scammer.

Getting past whether satoshi's fortune is deserved, anyone who took the time to get into Bitcoin pre-2012 deserves a massive fortune.  And the ultra early adoption isn't even over yet.  In fact, we stand right now (in 2015) at a time when the success of crypto is more assured than ever and yet there are opportunities just as lucrative as early Bitcoin staring anyone in the face who bothers to pay attention.

What a lucky time to be alive.  

If you are reading my words now, in 2015, *you* are one of the lucky ones... There will be so many who won't get into crypto currency until it's built into their phone in the 2020's, but by then it won't make them rich.

Well, said.
However, Satoshi did NOT want a lot of immediate/unwanted attention coming to Bitcoin.
So Satoshi was a bit cautious when advertising Bitcoin.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 01:49:15 PM

If he got all that BTC, he is so rich that he hardly can be an unknown person. At least around where he lives.

So we can look for millonaires to find satoshi  Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: