Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:42:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people believe in religion?  (Read 19532 times)
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:26:35 AM

There are many religious people on earth. Even the vast majority of the world believes in monotheistic religions.
And often they do not question belief systems. There are many people who have Christian, Muslim and Jewish beliefs.

Why do they still believe in religion. I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

Now only those who are not sufficiently informed in the field of science can believe in religion and can not find an explanation for all things.

So tell me, why are you here, sir? I mean on Earth, not this thread in particular. What do you do here and what is your purpose?

The belief that we can understand life through science alone is like trying to understand a desert by counting every single stone and pebble in it.

You can try to google it, though. Good luck.
escapefrom3dom

Activity: 1932
Merit: 288

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:31:27 AM

There are many religious people on earth. Even the vast majority of the world believes in monotheistic religions.
And often they do not question belief systems. There are many people who have Christian, Muslim and Jewish beliefs.

Why do they still believe in religion? I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

2 main reasons:

1. fear of the dark death.
2. stupidity.

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 11:42:39 AM

Why do they still believe in religion? I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

Funny, that you mention intelligence since so far, people, who have problem with english language, argumentation and basic human decency on this thread are firmly located in atheist camp.

But perhaps I shouldnt be suprised, the worst crimes against humanity in the past one hundred years were brought upon world by these atheists. All the more tragic, that people like you, who were raised crippled without ounce of humility extert so much effort to undo all the work of your ancestors. But those were pious people, so...
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 01:41:23 PM

People go to religion not for salvation, in the sense in which the Bible is written, but what they want is natural. But I have already made sure that everyone has his own way to God.

Well said, Not on the part that they do it to feel natural i really cant answer this one anyways. However on the part that people has their own way of having their faith on God.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:33:53 PM

People go to religion not for salvation, in the sense in which the Bible is written, but what they want is natural. But I have already made sure that everyone has his own way to God.

Well said, Not on the part that they do it to feel natural i really cant answer this one anyways. However on the part that people has their own way of having their faith on God.
Now after i have read your answers, one thing came to my mind. Salvation you say... I mean people like I who are not sure what they believe, and are not sure if God exist or not, when you say salvation i am not sure what you mean by that. Salvation from what, life? It is kinda weird to believe that we need salvation from our mortal life. After-life could be salvation for some, but what is purpose of salvation in mortal life... ?
escapefrom3dom

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 05:27:48 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

Funny, that you mention intelligence since so far, people, who have problem with english language, argumentation and basic human decency on this thread are firmly located in atheist camp.

But perhaps I shouldnt be suprised, the worst crimes against humanity in the past one hundred years were brought upon world by these atheists. All the more tragic, that people like you, who were raised crippled without ounce of humility extert so much effort to undo all the work of your ancestors. But those were pious people, so...

1. english isn't my native but i'm sure u got my point rigth.
2. i have nothing against the general idea of god (i.e. deism, pantheism) but if you believe in a personified jewish or other fairy-tale character, it means that you have mental disfunction.

how dare you defend religion and at the same time enjoy the benefits that science and technology have given you?

give at least one example of the achievement of religion over the past 100 years?

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 05:39:12 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

2. i have nothing against the general idea of god (i.e. deism, pantheism) but if you believe in a personified jewish or other fairy-tale character, it means that you have mental disfunction.

how dare you defend religion and at the same time enjoy the benefits that science and technology have given you?

give at least one example of the achievement of religion over the past 100 years?

What are your archievements in your entire life?

You see the fallacy you have committed? Vast majority of knowledge and yes, even technology was developed over tremendous amount of time by scholars, who were religious. In fact many of them still are as archievement and meanigful work is impossible without personal faith in the purpose of your work.

Modern west was build up by people with protestant morals, who were intitially dependant on knowledge savoured by eastern christians and muslims. Unbelieving heathens afterall dont see any value in knowledge itself, but merely its momentary profitability. And here we are today. Again.

I dont have problem using technology while having bible by my side, as one led Man to another. You are showing cognitive dissonance as in belief, that you were somehow created in vacuum without history or culture behind yourself. Everything you have and know today was developed by somebody before you.

So back to your question. What did religion archieve?

Religion shapes culture and culture then shapes civilization. You take the last one for granted and choose to not see inherent value of the other two. It will come and bite you later as every culture continue to exist on principles upon which it was founded upon. When you remove the pillars of your house, sooner or later it crumbles on your head.

escapefrom3dom

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 05:48:08 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

1. What are your archievements in your entire life?

You see the fallacy you have committed? Vast majority of knowledge and yes, 2. even technology was developed over tremendous amount of time by scholars, who were religious. In fact many of them still are as archievement and meanigful work is impossible without personal faith in the purpose of your work.

Modern west was build up by people with protestant morals, who were intitially dependant on knowledge savoured by eastern christians and muslims. Unbelieving heathens afterall dont see any value in knowledge itself, but merely its momentary profitability. And here we are today. Again.

I dont have problem using technology while having bible by my side, as one led Man to another. You are showing cognitive dissonance as in belief, that you were somehow created in vacuum without history or culture behind yourself. Everything you have and know today was developed by somebody before you.

3. Religion shapes culture and culture then shapes civilization. You take the last one for granted and choose to not see inherent value of the other two. It will come and bite you later as every culture continue to exist on principles upon which it was founded upon. When you remove the pillars of your house, sooner or later it crumbles on your head.

1. i've got a phd (physics and math).

2. yep, once it was the same thing, like astronomy and astrology but now science is free of this dirt.

3. we have an example of a completely religious state – IS (the islamic state of iraq and the levant). so why don't u move there and taste all the delights of religious sovereignty?

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:12:20 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

You see the fallacy you have committed? Vast majority of knowledge and yes, 2. even technology was developed over tremendous amount of time by scholars, who were religious. In fact many of them still are as archievement and meanigful work is impossible without personal faith in the purpose of your work.

3. Religion shapes culture and culture then shapes civilization. You take the last one for granted and choose to not see inherent value of the other two. It will come and bite you later as every culture continue to exist on principles upon which it was founded upon. When you remove the pillars of your house, sooner or later it crumbles on your head.

2. yep, once it was the same thing, like astronomy and astrology but now science is free of this dirt.

3. we have an example of a completely religious state – IS (the islamic state of iraq and the levant). so why don't u move there and taste all the delights of religious sovereignty?

1. I am calling bullshit, not the least, because of your abysmal reasoning.

2. And what is its purpose then, dear Phd?

3. I forgive you. Otherwise, I would have to send you to atheist paradise in North Korea  Wink or is Third Reich more akin to your taste? Anyhow, how does it feel, when others treat you like a subhuman for your beliefs, dear Phd? Is that where education and reason brought you? I doubt it.
escapefrom3dom

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:19:05 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

3. I forgive you. Otherwise, I would have to send you to atheist paradise in North Korea  Wink or is Third Reich more akin to your taste? Anyhow, how does it feel, when others treat you like a subhuman for your beliefs, dear Phd? Is that where education and reason brought you? I doubt it.

the attribute of each cult is to hate and persecute dissenters. remember the inquisition in the past or the shariah countries now? why should I have a different attitude to adherents of cults?

the example with totalitarianism is very unfortunate. since u assume only two alternatives: religion or all the worst anti-religious. forgetting at the same time that there are many positive examples (like ordinary secular states).

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:32:08 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

3. I forgive you. Otherwise, I would have to send you to atheist paradise in North Korea  Wink or is Third Reich more akin to your taste? Anyhow, how does it feel, when others treat you like a subhuman for your beliefs, dear Phd? Is that where education and reason brought you? I doubt it.

the attribute of each cult is to hate and persecute dissenters. remember the inquisition in the past or the shariah countries now? why should I have a different attitude to adherents of cults?

the example with totalitarianism is very unfortunate. since u assume only two alternatives: religion or all the worst anti-religious. forgetting at the same time that there are many positive examples (like ordinary secular states).

Are you sure, you are not mirroring something?

It was you, who told me, an evangelical to go to Islamic state territory, if I disagree with your point of view. I said, I forgive you for your ignorance.

One difference between various secular cults, that you atheits adhere to and proper religions is that the latter actually dignify human beings. Admit them to be born with soul and free will. Work in essence as moral compass. Another difference is, that atheists are targeted by natural selection since they often fail to have any offspring at all. Global share of nonbelievers is steadily dropping. What kind of societal benefit brings extinction?

If you indeed have PhD as you claimed, then you know, that entire basis of your field was founded by religous scholars. Obviously as science merely tries to describe natural phenomena, that was already given name and meaning. Science can therefore go on even without atheists, since it was here long before them and conception of "disbelief". It is not in opposition to religion, it is its complement. On the other hand science cant go on without faith, as it loses its meaning and becomes merely tool of those in power.
escapefrom3dom

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:40:18 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

It was you, who told me, an evangelical to go to Islamic state territory, if I disagree with your point of view. I said, I forgive you for your ignorance.

One difference between various secular cults, that you atheits adhere to and proper religions is that the latter actually dignify human beings. Admit them to be born with soul and free will. Work in essence as moral compass. Another difference is, that atheists are targeted by natural selection since they often fail to have any offspring at all. Global share of nonbelievers is steadily dropping. What kind of societal benefit brings extinction?

If you indeed have PhD as you claimed, then you know, that entire basis of your field was founded by religous scholars. Obviously as science merely tries to describe natural phenomena, that was already given name and meaning. Science can therefore go on even without atheists, since it was here long before them and conception of "disbelief". It is not in opposition to religion, it is its complement. On the other hand science cant go on without faith, as it loses its meaning and becomes merely tool of those in power.

so what? this must now be an indisputable truth?

science grew out of religion as a flower grows out of manure. the nonsense of ancient books contradicts the modern scientific picture of the world and common sense in general.

the horse has long died, but u are all trying to saddle it.

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:52:22 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

science grew out of religion as a flower grows out of manure. the nonsense of ancient books contradicts the modern scientific picture of the world and common sense in general.

And do you have proof or are you reliant on your personal belief and biblical metaphors?

If the horse is dead, please, explain this projection from United Nations:

Religion is complementary to science. As both describe natural phenomena in their own way. People, who rely on science alone are in the place of fools, who try to understand desert by counting all the sand in it.

I pray, that once you grow old and wise enough to understand that.
krankNL

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:56:55 PM

Because I want to free my sould and drain all the sin inside me. With religion, this is much easier to get rid of all the sin.
escapefrom3dom

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:59:57 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

3. I forgive you. Otherwise, I would have to send you to atheist paradise in North Korea  Wink or is Third Reich more akin to your taste? Anyhow, how does it feel, when others treat you like a subhuman for your beliefs, dear Phd? Is that where education and reason brought you? I doubt it.

And do you have proof or are you reliant on your personal belief and biblical metaphors?

Religion is complementary to science. As both describe natural phenomena in their own way. People, who rely on science alone are in the place of fools, who try to understand desert by counting all the sand in it.

bold illiterate lie...

tell me, what place in science does take the circumcised jew, supposedly was born of a virgin, whose corpse came to life and became one of the first astronauts by a vertical independent take-off into the stratosphere?

or a bearded prophet who split the moon in two and flew on a winged steed.

do you really believe in this absurd nonsense?

Wintorez

Activity: 109
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 07:01:00 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

Despite the fact that I have much bigger problems that need their solution very urgently or correction of your mistakes that humanity makes a lot of this disruptions begin to argue about religion and the influence of a man of such people who really believe in God. Something very actively began to discuss this and muddying religion.

............It's never late to buy BTC for $1.........
........Services-backed cryptocurrency of $1 000 000 000 000 market .........
...........PRE ICO            Sep.27 – Oct.04............
       ............ICO            Oct.10 – Nov.07............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 07:09:33 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

bold illiterate lie...

tell me, what place in science does take the circumcised jew, supposedly was born of a virgin, whose corpse came to life and became one of the first astronauts by a vertical independent take-off into the stratosphere?

or a bearded prophet who split the moon in two and flew on a winged steed?

I thought we were talking about societal benefits? Are you now interested in the text of scripture all of sudden or did your education fail to provide you with more arguments?

The bible represents, in quite mundane, easy to understand way a natural order and couple of rules, that individual mindful of balance in nature ought to respect for common good. Even atheist like yourself greatly benefits from its presence, as it provides stability, moral compass for both elites and masses. Preventing Orwellian animal farm or Mad Max conditions from coming true.

You know so much about numbers, but so little about human condition.
escapefrom3dom

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 07:17:26 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

bold illiterate lie...

or a bearded prophet who split the moon in two and flew on a winged steed?

I thought we were talking about societal benefits? Are you now interested in the text of scripture all of sudden or did your education fail to provide you with more arguments?

The bible represents, in quite mundane, easy to understand way a natural order and couple of rules, that individual mindful of balance in nature ought to respect for common good. Even atheist like yourself greatly benefits from its presence, as it provides stability, moral compass for both elites and masses. Preventing Orwellian animal farm or Mad Max conditions from coming true.

You know so much about numbers, but so little about human condition.

it's time to stop. anyway, everyone stayed at his own opinion.

p.s. it's strange that u are presenting a modern dag based coin in ur profile and simultaneously defending nonsense...

Okurkabinladin

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 07:34:47 PM

I provided data and numbers for you, both collected by secularists - something you should be able to understand. I can source far more. You in return gave me your subjective beliefs and feelings. Oh, and wished me bon voyage to Islamic State, least I forget.

The fact is, that atheists are dying out. Even in premodern times, you wouldnt be able to find a single culture that thrived and survived on basis of rationalism alone.

Indeed, it is time to stop. Now, I will pray, that you will find a way for yourself. Way, that doesnt lead to extinction, death and more hatred. Atheism is always only hair away from individual nihilism.

Good luck.

P.S.: Professor of University of London, self-ascribed agnostic, Eric Kaufmann wrote a thesis on subject of long term perspective of atheism and ongoing desecularization of the World. Before you make any further remarks. Educate yourself, please.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/shall-the-religious-inherit-the-earth-by-eric-kaufmann-1939316.html
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 09:31:20 AM

Because I want to free my sould and drain all the sin inside me. With religion, this is much easier to get rid of all the sin.

no religion doesn't do any of that. religion is based on how a certain someone a teaching and a group or congregation decides to follow that person. if you want to make up for your mistakes, do it on your own accord, you don't need a religion to do that. respect and do what you know is right as an adult.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: