Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:16:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't trust ripple! It's a get rich quick scheme for the creators.  (Read 6316 times)
glitch003 (OP)

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:45:31 PM

Ripple is currently closed source and controlled by a small group of people who reserved 20 billion XRP for themselves.  People say they will open source it eventually but they won't do it now because they don't want to lose control.

Is this not against everything that bitcoin stands for?  Collaborative development, healthy competition of cryptocurrencies, many eyes looking at the source code to try and find bugs and security issues.  So then why is Ripple still closed source?

Simply because the creators want to get rich from it.  As I stated above, they kept 20 billion of the 100 billion total XRP.  They want THEIR VERSION of Ripple to gain legitimacy so that they can sell those coins and become rich.  If someone were to fork ripple and make a better version, it would be beneficial to EVERYONE except the founders of the ripple.  And this is why, plain and simple, Ripple is a scam.  They're deliberately hurting and hindering development of the Ripple protocol to make some money themselves.  They will only open source it when there's a guarantee that their 20 billion XRP will be worth something.

Imagine if Satoshi had premined 4,200,000 BTC and kept it JUST FOR HIMSELF.  Everyone would be screaming what a huge scam Bitcoin is.  This is the situation that Ripple is in, where the founders are keeping 20% (!) of the total currency.

People say "but the XRP is just designed to be an anti spam measure, it's not a currency, it won't have value" but in order for it to work effectively as an anti-spam measure, XRP MUST HAVE VALUE.  The creators of Ripple know this, and if XRP's are even worth a single penny each, the creators have 200 million dollars.

If you like the idea of Ripple, please, create your own OPEN SOURCE version of it.  Other people, including myself, will contribute and make it a million times better than the current version of Ripple.  And it will be owned by the community, not a bunch of shady businessmen trying to get rich quickly.  Let's not forget that the owners of ripple BOUGHT it, and they expect to make a return on their investment. 

TL;DR; In it's current incarnation, Ripple is a get rich quick scheme for it's founders.  Don't let the shady businessmen who bought it pull the wool over your eyes!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dadrizforshizz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:03:12 PM

Simply because the creators want to get rich from it.  As I stated above, they kept 20 billion of the 100 billion total XRP. 

I thought they kept 80% for themselves?

Regardless, there are idiots that are paying 1BTC (yes USD $92) per 10,000 ripples.....
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:37:00 PM

Simply because the creators want to get rich from it.  As I stated above, they kept 20 billion of the 100 billion total XRP. 

Regardless, there are idiots that are paying 1BTC (yes USD $92) per 10,000 ripples.....

Yeah it's 80%.

100 billion XRP total, and they have kept 80 billion. Something like 1% would have been more than enough.

Ripple has a lot of money backing it and is strongly profit driven. I hope it fails and an open source alternative springs up.
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:50:59 PM

I totally agree..

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:53:57 PM

Get rich quick schemes where the founders get the richest.   Is there another word for those?

glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

Simply because the creators want to get rich from it.  As I stated above, they kept 20 billion of the 100 billion total XRP.

Yeah it's 80%.

100 billion XRP total, and they have kept 80 billion. Something like 1% would have been more than enough.

No you're actually wrong.  The opencoin foundation gets 80% (80 billion XRP) to distribute as they see fit.  The founders keep 20% (20 billion XRP) for themselves!!  Look it up.  
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:19:46 PM

Handing out currency to miners is no more and no less ethical than handing them out to the founders of a new currency. Use a currency if it serves your purposes and don't if it doesn't. Stop whining, Bitcoin doesn't exist to give you mining income or to let you get rich from any stash of bitcoins you might have amassed when they were still cheap. If Ripple takes off, it will be great for both BTC and XRP. If XRP ends up out-competing BTC, fine. It that means your bitcoins will become worthless, then boo-hoo-hoo.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:38:19 PM

Handing out currency to miners is no more and no less ethical than handing them out to the founders of a new currency. Use a currency if it serves your purposes and don't if it doesn't. Stop whining, Bitcoin doesn't exist to give you mining income or to let you get rich from any stash of bitcoins you might have amassed when they were still cheap. If Ripple takes off, it will be great for both BTC and XRP. If XRP ends up out-competing BTC, fine. It that means your bitcoins will become worthless, then boo-hoo-hoo.

Miners EARN their coins by doing work for the network.  There is no "handing out" like there is with Ripple.  You should probably learn how the Bitcoin network works before you go spouting off BS like this.
dadrizforshizz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:40:56 PM

this post makes no sense....that would be like saying I created a new metal...it works well with gold and silver and you can use it as a intermediary between the two, but I am only giving out 20% of the metal and keeping the rest for myself and business partners for future sales so I can buy a yacht.

When miners mine bitcoin, they are cracking a code, they are producing energy and feeding the economy with jobs (tech, energy, etc)...ripple is nothing but a get rich quick scheme. I already have multiple wallets where my buddies can send me bitcoin or euro etc... why do I need another? (people will realize this and) It will die and the people that are paying $100 bucks for ripples will be mad.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:41:09 PM

Ripple is a get rich quick scheme for it's founders.

No one goes into business hoping to get poor  Cheesy  Cheesy  Grin

But seriously, let's set aside emotion for just one moment. If Ripple delivers on all its promises and becomes the world-wide payment system that frees individuals from the traditional financial system, is it so bad that the founders get enriched?

If you truly do believe that everyone is going to use Ripple and that XRPs are going to skyrocket in value, nothing is stopping you from participating - you can buy XRP in bulk right now from Bitstamp (that's what I've done). Seems pretty fair to me.
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:44:18 PM

No one goes into business hoping to get poor  Cheesy  Cheesy  Grin

But seriously, let's set aside emotion for just one moment. If Ripple delivers on all its promises and becomes the world-wide payment system that frees individuals from the traditional financial system, is it so bad that the founders get enriched?

It's bad because it's centralization.  It's bad because, as I said above, keeping the client closed source at this point is bad for EVERYONE except the founders.  We could be working on making Ripple better and more robust, but instead they keep it closed because they want to get rich quickly.  By doing this, they're actively HURTING the idea of Ripple.

It's clear from your post history that you have a dog in this fight, misterbigg.  So may I ask what exactly is your association with OpenCoin, Inc.  and Ripple?
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:46:56 PM

If you truly do believe that everyone is going to use Ripple and that XRPs are going to skyrocket in value, nothing is stopping you from participating - you can buy XRP in bulk right now from Bitstamp (that's what I've done). Seems pretty fair to me.

I don't think they will skyrocket in value, but as I said above, even if they're worth a single penny each, the founders get 200 million dollars. WTF?
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:49:01 PM

So the consensus is that investing in xrp is a bad idea - then don't.
It has nothing to do with using ripple - you just need 300xrp to make hundreds of thousands of transactions in whatever currency you choose, including bitcoin. You just need to trust the gateway you use.
xrp is a bad investment by design. you only need a trivial amount of xrp to use ripple.
You don't need to invest in xrp to use ripple.
misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:54:44 PM

It's bad because it's centralization.  It's bad because, as I said above, keeping the client closed source at this point is bad for EVERYONE except the founders.

At this point everyone agrees that OpenCoin needs to eventually make the server open source. Word on the street is that will be happening within a few months, this year for sure. If Ripple does not become open source, no one would trust it (including myself). I can't see how OpenCoin would hope that XRP will be taken seriously as a currency if they do not release the source code.

Let me ask you: Does Ripple have any hopes of gaining adoption if they don't release the source code?

We could be working on making Ripple better and more robust, but instead they keep it closed because they want to get rich quickly. By doing this, they're actively HURTING the idea of Ripple.

It's been said over and over again that Ripple needs to remain closed source until the necessary feature set has been fully implemented. Contracts aren't done yet (https://ripple.com/wiki/Contracts). There are many bugs and other things that need fixing. Once the server has been released to the wild, it becomes very difficult to make changes.

It is perfectly rational to expect that OpenCoin is hesitant to release unfinished software which is still in beta, if doing so would make it difficult to provide patches and updates.

Which part of this doesn't make sense to you?

It's clear from your post history that you have a dog in this fight, misterbigg.  So may I ask what exactly is your association with OpenCoin, Inc.  and Ripple?

I've answered this a few times already. I have no official association with OpenCoin. I am a holder of XRPs (and Bitcoins). That's it! How many times does this need to come up?

I don't think they will skyrocket in value, but as I said above, even if they're worth a single penny each, the founders get 200 million dollars. WTF?

I much rather OpenCoin generate $200m in revenue, some of which will go to paying 20+ developers, equipment costs, CEO, marketing, etc... instead of the Bitcoin development model where programmers have to panhandle for donations.

Again, I get that there is a bad taste coming from the XRP pre-mine but it seems that folks are ignoring the facts.
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:57:59 PM

It has nothing to do with using ripple - you just need 300xrp to make hundreds of thousands of transactions in whatever currency you choose, including bitcoin. You just need to trust the gateway you use.
xrp is a bad investment by design. you only need a trivial amount of xrp to use ripple.

This doesn't change the fact that Ripple is nothing more than a vehicle to make the founders millions of dollars.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:04:50 PM

This doesn't change the fact that Ripple is nothing more than a vehicle to make the founders millions of dollars.

How? xrp are clearly worthless, so how will they become millionaires?
misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:06:37 PM

You've ignored the fact that you can do useful, productive things without using the XRP currency, and instead choose to just run around saying "its a scam, its a scam." Me and others have provided clear, factual reasons why Ripple is useful but you choose to ignore it.

At this point it's clear that you're not adding anything productive to the conversation and now only trolling.
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:08:05 PM

It is perfectly rational to expect that OpenCoin is hesitant to release unfinished software which is still in beta, if doing so would make it difficult to provide patches and updates.

Please explain to me how it's more difficult for an open source project to provide patches and updates than a closed source one.  Linux, for example, is much more frequently updated than Mac OS X or Windows, yet Linux is open source and Mac OS X and Windows are closed source.

If they label the software as "beta" and explain that it can and will change at any time, I people will not expect things like backwards compatibility.

There is no real reason to keep it closed source at this point except for worries of forks.  Well guess what?  FORKS ARE GOOD FOR THE PROTOCOL!  They're good for the community, they're good for everyone EXCEPT OpenCoin, Inc.  Competition is healthy, and the fact that OpenCoin, Inc wants to hinder it until they're guaranteed to make a ton of money just shows how little they care about the protocol and how much they care about money.
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:09:41 PM

How? xrp are clearly worthless, so how will they become millionaires?

XRP are worthless, yet the stated purpose of them is as an anti-spam measure.  For them to work as an anti-spam measure, by definition, they must have value.  So which is it?  Are they worthless or are they an anti-spam measure?
glitch003 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:11:31 PM

You've ignored the fact that you can do useful, productive things without using the XRP currency

Then why have XRP at all?  Oh yeah, to prevent spam.  But to prevent spam it must have value.  So then if XRP has value, XRP is like a currency, plain and simple.  You're right misterbigg, XRP has no purpose.  Except to make the founders rich.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: