Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:50:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL 5 GH/s Miner Demo  (Read 9993 times)
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:59:22 AM

You can't compare the wattage on a BFL with an Avalon. An Avalon is a self-contained mining device. Add in the wattage for the laptop and the BFL is less efficient than an Avalon! ROFLMAO.

You are probably wrong in a couple of asumptions. For starters you can use something smaller than a laptop, eg. a Raspberry Pi. Secondly you only need the one to talk to the 5GHs, 25GHs, or 50Ghs products, at the high end power consumption the controlling computer becomes insignificant.

I understand you are just trolling the BFL products, I don't have a problem with that, to a certain extent they deserve it,  I am just pointing out the misinformation for actual people reading the thread that might have bought the product.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:02:54 AM

You can't compare the wattage on a BFL with an Avalon. An Avalon is a self-contained mining device. Add in the wattage for the laptop and the BFL is less efficient than an Avalon! ROFLMAO.

You are probably wrong in a couple of asumptions. For starters you can use something smaller than a laptop, eg. a Raspberry Pi. Secondly you only need the one to talk to the 5GHs, 25GHs, or 50Ghs products, at the high end power consumption the controlling computer becomes insignificant.

That's not what the demo showed, now was it? They showed the power draw minus the computer, which is not a fair comparison to a complete Avalon.

Buy & Hold
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:10:14 AM

That's not what the demo showed, now was it? They showed the power draw minus the computer, which is not a fair comparison to a complete Avalon.

Ok, add 2.5 watts and $50 for a raspberry Pi to control your BFL rigs. I enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing but this horse has been beat so savagely that it more resembles ground beef than a horse.
shackleford

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:10:46 AM

He's trying to say they they lied about not mining out in public pools. But then people complained that the other video didn't show real mining.

Yeah I'd certainly prefer to see "demo" videos that are on a live public server.

I can't remember where I saw it but somebody spotted the BFL_ASIC_DEMO account live on EMC a long time ago before it was changed to private. This makes it official that it is their account. Personally I don't care that they mine for testing it makes no sense not to (especially after they are shipping). Just don’t lie about it, you get caught then look like a giant douche.
erk

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:14:28 AM

Have you even bothered to do the math?

12 x BFL 5.3GHs = 63.6GHs
12 x BFL 32watts = 384watts

http://garzikrants.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/avalon-miner-power-usage.html

Avalon = 620 watts that leaves you over 230watts for your laptop or whatever to come out ahead in efficiency. That's assuming you were silly enough to use 12 smaller units instead of say a single 50GHs plus a 25Ghz unit.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:23:24 AM

He's trying to say they they lied about not mining out in public pools. But then people complained that the other video didn't show real mining.

Yeah I'd certainly prefer to see "demo" videos that are on a live public server.

I can't remember where I saw it but somebody spotted the BFL_ASIC_DEMO account live on EMC a long time ago before it was changed to private. This makes it official that it is their account. Personally I don't care that they mine for testing it makes no sense not to (especially after they are shipping). Just don’t lie about it, you get caught then look like a giant douche.

I, too, care less where they test, but it's the deceit that stuck in my craw. Same with Sonny, for I have no problem with his checkered past, and he seems like a nice guy and all, but to cover up, deny, etc., the information after the fact has been revealed made folks like me wonder what else is being hidden. Then when all the tiny missteps start adding up, we end up with bitcoiners against bitcoiners, instead of working together toward a common goal.
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:37:31 AM

Didn't the "we aren't mining on public pools" statement stem more from people accusing BFL of having the equipment ready to ship but they were using it for their personal mining instead? Of course they should do some testing/demos on actual public pools, those are the pools customers will be connecting to.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:38:27 AM

5.3 GH/s @ 36 watts + 20 watts for laptop = 10.6 watts/ghps
68 GH/s @ 620 watts = 9.1 watts/ghps
Efficiency: Avalon

5.3 GH/s @ $149 = $28/ghps
68 GH/s @ $1500 = $22/ghps
Price: Avalon

June 2012 -> May+++ 2013 = 11+++ months
Sep 2012 -> Apr 2013 = 7 months
Time to market: Avalon

Triple crown goes to: Avalon!

Buy & Hold
roy7

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:40:01 AM

Avalon > BFL perhaps, but BFL is in my budget and Avalon isn't even close. Smiley
minternj

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:43:50 AM

Whats the point of all this comparison? Don't think there's a dispute that anyone here would want a Avalon over bfl at this point is there(since there is no bfl shipped yet)? At current difficulty no one cares about power consumption or original cost/hash. So again wtf is hte poitn of this comparison. Take this up in like 6 months. Then you can compare both till your excel sheets are fucking REF'ed out.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:44:02 AM

A whole lot larger than a 4.5GH/s Jalapeno - where are the Jalapenos?

Everything looks a bit different now:

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:57:50 AM

Yeah, it seems with the increased power usage comes increased heat, so now what was supposed to be a coffee warmer needs to be actively cooled with fans, and gets put in a larger case.

And did you hear the fan/s in the video?  I wonder what the larger 60 GH device will sound like.  I was really looking forward to the silence that the ASICs were supposed to bring.  Oh well.

"In 20 years people will learn that Josh was the first to invent sustainable Fusion reaction from super heating Coffee molecules.

He will say in 10 years that you can have your latte hot and save the world from an energy crisis. It is a very famous speech...I assure you." --John Titor

For those that don't know, the Butterfly Labs symbol is an envisioning of Josh's super collider experiments.

[/Joke?]
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:04:43 AM

Details details.

The "Tethered wattage" problem...

-------------------------

I am sure the demo guy can just turn off the laptop and save a few watts in the calculation....er...wait....

5.3 GH/s @ 36 watts + 20 watts for laptop = 10.6 watts/ghps
68 GH/s @ 620 watts = 9.1 watts/ghps
Efficiency: Avalon

68 GH/s @ $1500 = $22/ghps
Price: Avalon

June 2012 -> May+++ 2013 = 11+++ months
Sep 2012 -> Apr 2013 = 7 months
Time to market: Avalon

It actually costs $274.

Avalon > BFL perhaps, but BFL is in my budget and Avalon isn't even close. Smiley
Air costs less to produce. Substance is expensive.
PeZ

Activity: 297

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:18:17 AM

All this Avalon promoting is great, but how many of you actually have an Avalon in your household?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:20:50 AM

All this Avalon promoting is great, but how many of you actually have an Avalon in your household?
?

I do.

You must be new here...
funnow

Activity: 347

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:23:45 AM

If you listen to all the video you will hear that the PCB is still under development, so probably even more power down.
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:21:16 AM

A whole lot larger than a 4.5GH/s Jalapeno - where are the Jalapenos?

Everything looks a bit different now:

Cheesy
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:23:24 AM

Didn't the "we aren't mining on public pools" statement stem more from people accusing BFL of having the equipment ready to ship but they were using it for their personal mining instead? Of course they should do some testing/demos on actual public pools, those are the pools customers will be connecting to.

No, they said they were only going to test on a testnet of some sort.  No live mining.  But they said a lot of things.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/pre-sales-questions/52-asic-pre-shipment-testing-policy.html
marra

Activity: 189

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:34:40 AM

New ASIC machines will show before the BFLs due to chips entering the market. Power consumption argument that BFL beats everything isn't legit. First, it draws the same on that small mutant machine as avalon, the other machines still don't exist, and there are parts of the world where even GPU mining will never go away due to cheap electricity. It'll always bring fair profit in fiat terms.

People who have fallen for the asic 65nm technology just because it draws less than 110nm didn't do the math correctly.

$1 = 1 satoshi  ☰☱☲☳☷☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☲☳☱☷☷☳☲☰☰☰☰☲☳☳
☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☷☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☲☳☷☷☳☳☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☰☱☲☳
erk

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:21:25 AM

New ASIC machines will show before the BFLs due to chips entering the market. Power consumption argument that BFL beats everything isn't legit. First, it draws the same on that small mutant machine as avalon, the other machines still don't exist, and there are parts of the world where even GPU mining will never go away due to cheap electricity. It'll always bring fair profit in fiat terms.

People who have fallen for the asic 65nm technology just because it draws less than 110nm didn't do the math correctly.

BFL     
32watts/5.3GHs= 6.03watts/GHs

Avalon 
620watts/66GHs= 9.39watts/GHs

Is that the "same" I think not. What part of the math needs doing correctly again?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: