Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:52:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 16GB SSD with Windows 7 and want to upgrade  (Read 650 times)
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 05:40:41 PM

Greetings, It's been 10+ hrs I'm sitting in the farm and searching for options to somehow fit windows 10 on 16GB SSD.
I know that 16gb isn't enough and why I even bought it ? It wasn't me..
Here is the list of ssd-s I have currently on my farm:
22x16gb
25x32gb
25x120gb
and couple 64s and 40s
I was on vacation and planning to update from windows 7 to 10 and now my plan isn't working as I wanted it to.
The thing is that I can actually upgrade 32 and + SSDs to 10 but I can't do it with 16gb.
I was searching to all over the net for smaller versions of 10, I even downloaded and installed some, but it isn't working as I want it to.
Any ideas or suggestions about what system to use, atm there are 10s and 7s as well...
How can I manage to install and run correctly without any issues windows 10 on 16gb SSD?
I know that it will be better to go and buy some new ssd-s but..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 06:20:40 PM

Even if you were able to fit windows 10 on a 16GB SSD, you would still need an additionnal storage for the pagefile that need to be at least 16GB for some algos (eth is one of them) or more (sibcoins) depend how big your rigs is (how many gpu's), also from my knowledge you can't install w10 on such a small device. There is the IOT version that is super small, but it's not aimed @ desktop usage, and would probably not be compatible with mining. a 64GB SSD is 40$, don't go and give yourself more headache just replace it  Wink
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 06:33:20 PM

Even if you were able to fit windows 10 on a 16GB SSD, you would still need an additionnal storage for the pagefile that need to be at least 16GB for some algos (eth is one of them) or more (sibcoins) depend how big your rigs is (how many gpu's), also from my knowledge you can't install w10 on such a small device. There is the IOT version that is super small, but it's not aimed @ desktop usage, and would probably not be compatible with mining. a 64GB SSD is 40$, don't go and give yourself more headache just replace it  Wink
I actually managed somehow to install on one rig (all rigs are 3GPU per rig) with 16gb SSD, max pagefile I could give was 4000MB and atm it is mining, but I'm pretty sure it will stop soon.. There are some strange win7 versions installed and I forgot the golden rule :/ if it works, leave. So I will start upgrading 32gb+ rigs with win 10, there's no other way I guess..
I was also trying to make smaller version of 10 with NTlite, but with no luck..
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 09:03:22 PM

I actually managed somehow to install on one rig (all rigs are 3GPU per rig) with 16gb SSD, max pagefile I could give was 4000MB and atm it is mining, but I'm pretty sure it will stop soon.. There are some strange win7 versions installed and I forgot the golden rule :/ if it works, leave. So I will start upgrading 32gb+ rigs with win 10, there's no other way I guess..

Yeah it's really too small Sad even with optimisation & all, that leave you really no breathing room, even less.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 09:05:06 PM

Not to derail your question or anything, but where do you get all your copies of windows from?  I want to get my rigs all up to windows 10, but not really interested in paying for copies of each.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 09:05:45 PM

Yeah it's really too small Sad even with optimisation & all, that leave you really no breathing room, even less.
It left like 400mb or less, let's see what it will do tonight.

what about free linux distros like ubuntu or mint?
Does anyone have any experience mining with these distros in large farms? I need more stability
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 09:08:06 PM

Not to derail your question or anything, but where do you get all your copies of windows from?  I want to get my rigs all up to windows 10, but not really interested in paying for copies of each.
It's Georgia, even local microsoft office allows small and even medium businesses to use kms and stuff, if they will force us to buy copies we simply will switch to linux. As far as I know even some ggovernemtal institutions are using havked kasperski and windows.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 10:07:11 PM

It's Georgia, even local microsoft office allows small and even medium businesses to use kms and stuff, if they will force us to buy copies we simply will switch to linux. As far as I know even some ggovernemtal institutions are using havked kasperski and windows.

Well I don't know what any of that means, what would it cost me to have you put like 5 copies on SSD's and mail them to me?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2017, 01:15:24 AM

Not to derail your question or anything, but where do you get all your copies of windows from?  I want to get my rigs all up to windows 10, but not really interested in paying for copies of each.

Have a legitimate copy of 7x32/x64 and activated.

Update windows 7 machines to the point SP1 installs and you get a popup on next boot informing you about windows 10 etc.  Kind of a blue screen.

Then get the downloadable win10 ISO, I burned mine to a USB with both versions x64/x32, then insert usb in thge machine you want to upgrade, and run the autorun from within windows (you can't do a clean install or a boot from the USB to use your existing 7 license mind you)

Follow process to install windows 10, but choose upgrade.

When asked for a serial/license key, just click next/skip.

It will install.

It will then auto-activate itself based on the original license.

I still use this method today.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 07:46:28 AM

Well I don't know what any of that means, what would it cost me to have you put like 5 copies on SSD's and mail them to me?
Why do you want to spend money on postage and stuff ? You can activate it yourself with a key and KMS. I can send it to you if you want.
and the option @JaredKaragen advised is legit working option.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
this is the official link for downloading ISO
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2017, 08:28:59 AM

ell I don't know what any of that means, what would it cost me to have you put like 5 copies on SSD's and mail them to me?

They would have broken activation and be unactivated when installed into another machine.

I proved this would happen to myself by switching HDD's between two PC's that were similar and both had activated copies of 10.  Swapping the HDD's, broke 10 on both machines.

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 08:33:48 AM

ell I don't know what any of that means, what would it cost me to have you put like 5 copies on SSD's and mail them to me?

They would have broken activation and be unactivated when installed into another machine.

I proved this would happen to myself by switching HDD's between two PC's that were similar and both had activated copies of 10.  Swapping the HDD's, broke 10 on both machines.
For me it is simple, installing win10 pro, entering key and after installation using KMS activator, after that it works without any problems. I don't know how the software policies and regulations work in your county so I can't actually advise you anything. Also the SSD sending idea is just a waste of money, if you decide to take a risk you can do it yourself.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2017, 10:06:47 PM

For me it is simple, installing win10 pro, entering key and after installation using KMS activator, after that it works without any problems. I don't know how the software policies and regulations work in your county so I can't actually advise you anything. Also the SSD sending idea is just a waste of money, if you decide to take a risk you can do it yourself.

Problem for most is;  using a KMS activator is illegal;  because they never purchased the license for the group they are activating to.... and 90% of those people don't even have a key for 10 to use to begin with.

In layman's terms: for the greatest portion of the population;  using a KMS activator would be illegal. ( Foremost being not owning rights to the keys they are using, and secondly not following the EUA for said license;  Take the Pandaminer as a prime example)

Agreed the SSD sending is a waste of $$$ also because it won't be activated on the new machine. (even though it was activated on the machine that installed it).

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

mettalmag (OP)
Legendary

≡v≡

View Profile
March 02, 2017, 10:15:05 PM

Problem for most is;  using a KMS activator is illegal;  because they never purchased the license for the group they are activating to.... and 90% of those people don't even have a key for 10 to use to begin with.

In layman's terms: for the greatest portion of the population;  using a KMS activator would be illegal. ( Foremost being not owning rights to the keys they are using, and secondly not following the EUA for said license;  Take the Pandaminer as a prime example)

Agreed the SSD sending is a waste of $$$ also because it won't be activated on the new machine. (even though it was activated on the machine that installed it).
Why not linux?
We are using these "benefits" until we can, until some regulations will affect it. After that I'm pretty sure we will be the nation with 98% of linux users
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: