Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:52:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Police State?  (Read 25853 times)
1m1nd

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:24:18 PM

My country is a police state. I suppose we'll just have to disagree on what we're each perceiving.

Too bad this poster is an idiot and wholly illiterate:

": a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force"

Terrorist lover.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:24:40 PM

Then we can agree that you regard all countries as police states? 

I'll quote:

States operate by tyranny.

If the few rule the many, a police state is the result. Always.

myrkul is against the entire idea of a state. Its a legitimate point of view but has little bearing on whether or not its meaningful to call the US a "police state."  

Since you regard all states as "police states" I guess we can move on.  I can't help but wonder what adjective you want to use for states like China but that is another day's discussion.
1m1nd

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:25:39 PM

You might not have experienced it, but plenty have.

When I got my johnson grabbed by the fake cop at the airport a few years ago was my clue. I'm not sure what it takes for other people to see it.

Needless to say, homie ain't flying as long as the Feds are in charge of the gates at the airports.

Watching a cop bodily pick up a kid half his size and slam his head into a stone bollard sealed the deal. I vividly remember the sound of his skull cracking against the stone.

I've stood in court and seen a case against me dismissed as the police had forged the evidence and accidentally had different sets of signatures on the "carbon copies."  But there is the world of difference between not trusting the police and in saying you live in a "police state."  The latter implies that there are other states that are so much more free that your state is repressive.

No, it doesn't. If there was only one state in the world it could still be a police state.

But there are over 100 states in the world and if all of them are "police states" then the term is meaningless.  It implies that tyranny is normal and we should expect it.

That is the implication, yes.  Roll Eyes
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:28:00 PM

..snip...

But there are over 100 states in the world and if all of them are "police states" then the term is meaningless.  It implies that tyranny is normal and we should expect it.

OK.  I guess we need a new word to describe what used be called "tyrannies" now that we are using "tyranny" for normal states.  I'm sure the people of Syria will be delighted to know that they no longer live in a tyranny and await the new description of their state with bated breath.

Tongue
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:28:19 PM

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap....

Terrorist lover.

LOL, you are calling me a terrorist lover.  I should sue you for libel, fucking idiot.  I'm certain you have no assets worth taking.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 10:30:11 PM

I'll quote:

myrkul is against the entire idea of a state. Its a legitimate point of view but has little bearing on whether or not its meaningful to call the US a "police state."  

Since you regard all states as "police states" I guess we can move on.  I can't help but wonder what adjective you want to use for states like China but that is another day's discussion.
I believe "communist" is a valid adjective. i.e.: "Communist police state." Those do tend to be the worst of the crop.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Viceroy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:31:45 PM

ROFL, so the difference between the US and China is simply "communism".

OMFG you dolt, are you out of diapers?
1m1nd

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:34:37 PM

..snip...

OK.  I guess we need a new word to describe what used be called "tyrannies" now that we are using "tyranny" for normal states.  I'm sure the people of Syria will be delighted to know that they no longer live in a tyranny and await the new description of their state with bated breath.

Tongue

Syria remains a tyranny, something the US has never been.

I have the full backing of the Syrian people.  Grin

Terrorist lover.

LOL, you are calling me a terrorist lover.  I should sue you for libel, fucking idiot.

See you in internet court...you're going to internet jail
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:34:55 PM

I'll quote:

I believe "communist" is a valid adjective. i.e.: "Communist police state." Those do tend to be the worst of the crop.

Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt; none are communist and in the old days before the word "tyranny" meant normal, we used to call all of them "tyrannies."

I wonder what we should call them now?  
Viceroy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:38:27 PM

No, it doesn't. If there was only one state in the world it could still be a police state.

America is not a police state.  Here is the definition:

"a country in which the activities of the people are strictly controlled by the government with the help of a police force".

See you in internet court...you're going to internet jail

Once again we have a know-it-all.  I can most certainly find you, that is not an issue (for me).  Where I live, in Colorado Springs, the law actually allows me to prosecute you in civil court and if I can establish that what you said caused me personal damage I could bring my case to the district attorney who could put you in jail because, you see, in Colorado LIBEL IS CRIMINAL.

And we have APC's.  (And the Air Force Academy, and Ft Carson, and Peterson Air Force Base and NORAD). So fuck you.
1m1nd

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:40:00 PM

ROFL, so the difference between the US and China is simply "communism".

OMFG you dolt, are you out of diapers?

China could be classified as an authoritarian state and the US as a plutocracy.

I'll quote:

Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt; none are communist and in the old days before the word "tyranny" meant normal, we used to call all of them "tyrannies."

Syria - Fractured state (civil war)
Iran - Religious Oligarchy
Saudi Arabia - Monarchy
Egypt - Transitional state
Viceroy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:41:09 PM

and the US as a plutocracy.

Which is not a what? 

Which is not a Police State.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:41:35 PM

TBH I think I'll stick with calling them police states and calling the UK and US "states."  
Viceroy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:42:58 PM

clap, clap, clap, clap, clap...
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 10:43:25 PM

"States"? Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
1m1nd

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:44:34 PM

and the US as a plutocracy.

Which is not a what?  

Which is not a Police State.

Roll Eyes

edit_the terms are not mutually exclusive

Bored of semantics...god save the queen Kiss
Viceroy

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:44:57 PM

>Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt;
>I wonder what we should call them now?  

Festering shitholes?

edit:
Saudi Arabia is a pretty place from what I see in pictures.  If you like camels.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 12:54:02 AM

Just as a refresher, in case anyone doesn't know:

ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

I'd say this meets that definition:

Ergo, statists are terrorist lovers. Carry on.

Viceroy

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:58:08 AM

How does an APC = terrorism?  The APC is the tool designed to DEAL with the terrorists.  Are you 5?

OH NOES POLICE STATE IN ACTION:
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/23/178651009/justices-say-u-s-improperly-deported-man-over-marijuana

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:05:27 AM

ter·ror·ism 
/ˈterəˌrizəm/
Noun
The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: