Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:20:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone can test these 6 Pcie slots Ryzen mobos?  (Read 17995 times)
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 03:05:33 PM

Hello everyone. I have ASRock AB350 Pro4 and 6 GTX 1070 . But only 4 work`s right now. Bios is 2.6 and i also haven`t any settings for pci-e devices like Above 4G etc. Help me please , what i`am doing wrong?

Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia latest drivers, without GF experience etc. Only driver. Windows is UEFI .

My problem is black screen after more than 4 GPU`s inside.  Embarrassed
Thans everyone.

would you mind trying a linux boot disk (maybe a mining distro) to see if all the cards work that way?

Ok, i will try. Could you advise me mining distro for ETH ? Thx

Pimp supports nvidia, IIRC; not sure about ethos.

R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 04:50:46 PM

Any word on the x370?

I bought MSI x370 and successfully detected four GPUs but can't get the 5th to light up.

Curious if there is something I can do in the BIOS to get it to work or if this board might only do four and that's that.

Thanks.

MSI X370 will do 6 Nvidia GPUs, but it is difficult depending on your version of Windows 10 (build version).  My OEM Win10 disks were build 1507 (I think).  Lots of errors, restarts, was driving me nuts.  And that is after I installed the AMD newest chipset drivers.  What's more frustrating, is that Windows Update just crashes and fails over and over with this build version - just doesn't work with Ryzen.

Download Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool," download to ISO and make a USB boot stick (search for "Rufus bootable .ISO"), do not use the Microsoft product, just download the .iso image and use Rufus to make your Windows boot USB device.  This will take a long while to download and run through updates.  Then reinstall Windows10 using the USB stick/key only this time it will be build 1511.  Start the build with one Nvidia card in the main slot.  When you get to build 1511 (and before you install lots of software), make sure the one card is recognized and that you can mine.  You need to then launch DDU and remove all drivers and shut down, not restart.  When shut down, plug in all your other cards.  Reboot.  If Windows doesn't install the drivers, do so manually under Device Driver.

If you errors on startup, hit F11 to get to the Boot order menu and click on wherever you just installed the new version of Windows.

Beware the Microsoft Update Assistant (Blue icon) that comes with build 1511.  Takes forever and it *may* update you to the 16xx build, and if you run it again, it *may* update you to 170x build.  But you'll probably tear your hair out first.

Go to "PC Settings" > System > About: to see what build you have.  If you have build 1507 or lower, that might explain all your problems.  Update to at least 1511.

Disable Hi-Def audio in Bios.  Disable Serial/Parallel I/O.

I think, more than anything else people mention, when it comes to Ryzen and 5/6 GPUs, it is a Windows issue.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
MingMining

Activity: 202
Merit: 10

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 06:06:17 PM

Any word on the x370?

I bought MSI x370 and successfully detected four GPUs but can't get the 5th to light up.

Curious if there is something I can do in the BIOS to get it to work or if this board might only do four and that's that.

Thanks.

MSI X370 will do 6 Nvidia GPUs, but it is difficult depending on your version of Windows 10 (build version).  My OEM Win10 disks were build 1507 (I think).  Lots of errors, restarts, was driving me nuts.  And that is after I installed the AMD newest chipset drivers.  What's more frustrating, is that Windows Update just crashes and fails over and over with this build version - just doesn't work with Ryzen.

Download Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool," download to ISO and make a USB boot stick (search for "Rufus bootable .ISO"), do not use the Microsoft product, just download the .iso image and use Rufus to make your Windows boot USB device.  This will take a long while to download and run through updates.  Then reinstall Windows10 using the USB stick/key only this time it will be build 1511.  Start the build with one Nvidia card in the main slot.  When you get to build 1511 (and before you install lots of software), make sure the one card is recognized and that you can mine.  You need to then launch DDU and remove all drivers and shut down, not restart.  When shut down, plug in all your other cards.  Reboot.  If Windows doesn't install the drivers, do so manually under Device Driver.

If you errors on startup, hit F11 to get to the Boot order menu and click on wherever you just installed the new version of Windows.

Beware the Microsoft Update Assistant (Blue icon) that comes with build 1511.  Takes forever and it *may* update you to the 16xx build, and if you run it again, it *may* update you to 170x build.  But you'll probably tear your hair out first.

Go to "PC Settings" > System > About: to see what build you have.  If you have build 1507 or lower, that might explain all your problems.  Update to at least 1511.

I think, more than anything else people mention, when it comes to Ryzen and 5/6 GPUs, it is a Windows issue.

These are some very useful information and I totally agree with the windows issue conclusion! Thanks for sharing.

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
_kaurus

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 09:40:47 PM

I also have this board, and I am able to run 4/5 gpus' on it.  I'm also running 2x hx 850 watt gold rated power supplies.

Working GPUs:
2x gtx 970
1x 1060
1x 1080

Recognised, but not working (yellow triangle)
1x gtx 970.

Before I had the 1080 put in, all gtx 970 were working.  Now I have the 5th card recognised by windows, though there is a yellow triangle and no explanation why this card is being disabled by windows.

Anyone have an ideas about have yellow triangle? I'm going to try a third riser on the board to see if i have 2 bad ones. Seems to me that if there was a bad riser that the card wouldn't recognise in windows.

I also learned that USB 3.0 extension cables do not work with pci-e risers.

Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 03:12:10 AM

If it worked with 5 before and windows is detecting 5 still in Device Manager you probably just need to uninstall drivers with DDU (in Safe Mode) and then reinstall your drivers. Hopefully that will have all 5 working again.
_kaurus

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 08:22:49 PM

If it worked with 5 before and windows is detecting 5 still in Device Manager you probably just need to uninstall drivers with DDU (in Safe Mode) and then reinstall your drivers. Hopefully that will have all 5 working again.

I didn't have 5 cards before. I had 4 cards running previously, now that I have 5 I was hoping to get them all to work. Even though window's sees 5, one has a with triangle on it.  The triangled card is was also working previously.

Driver's were reinstalled with DDU in safe more many times.

I also just installed Bios version 3 too.  I'd have to say that installing all of your cards to the mobo, running DDU, then doing a bios update was the easiest way i had to get these cards recognised without doing some monkey work.

Any other suggestions for this last GPU?
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 11:58:49 PM

Well, the vast majority of motherboards won't run with more then 4 GPUs, many can't do more then 3. If you want a dedicated mining rig I would suggest buying a dedicated mining motherboard, such as the Biostar TB 250, TB350 or TB85... they're made specifically to mine with 6 GPUs and will be far less of a headache for you. Smiley
baydose

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 08:03:53 PM

Any word on the x370?

Thanks.

ROmi,

Which x370 motherboard do you have exactly and what BIOS version did you get it to finally work with?

Thanks!
Skelsdd0s

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 11:45:59 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2017, 12:42:59 AM by Skelsdd0s

Hey, people, Im posting this as I finally got working 6xGPUs on a Ryzen mobo on Windows 10 and I believe it can be useful to others that like me were struggling to achieve this.

System: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MSI X370 SLI Plus with latest mobo firmware
6x ASUS Strix GTX 1070 non-OC version but OCed (Mem clock @ 8723 Mhz, Core @ 1903 Mhz)
Corsair 8Gb 3200 Mhz RAM
PSU Seasonic X-850 Watts 80+ Gold x2 (3 GPUs on each PSU), second PSU with metal clip power-on method.
Windows 10 Pro updated to latest everything

A little history first:
I tried every combination of slots and risers, they all work independently and up to 5 GPUs using the latest Nvidia driver (384.94) with Windows 10 booting up and hashing Zcash with EBWF with no problem. But no matter where I put the 6th GPU, whenever I did, Windows would not boot and would enter a loop where eventually the error repair screen appeared.
If I booted to safe mode, Windows showed the 6 GPUs on device manager, but the driver wouldn't be loaded so I couldn't mine with it. When doing a DDU driver uninstall, booting to normal mode worked and Windows would show the 6 GPUs on device manager but as Generic display cards, not being able to mine of course.
So I bought ethOS and after the initial learning curve, got all GPUs to mine but would constantly have random crashes that didn't lock the GPUs but were very annoying cause I lost hours of possible mining (which translates directly in loss of revenue). Because I didn't want to open a port on my router to access the rig remotely, I used Teamviewer on a second machine that mines in Windows at a very lower rate (2x GTX 980) but super f***ing stable (not a single crash ever, even on overclock, against the 2 crashes per day of ethOS, even on non-OC settings) that allowed me to access the linux rig on the local network.
Still, I wanted to mine on Windows so that I can 1) have rock-solid stable mining and 2) be able to use Teamviewer to manage the rig as if I were sitting right in front of it.
Checking the main panel on ethOS I noticed that the GPUs were listed as 21-22-23-24-26-27, missing the "25", so I thought that maybe the sequence of population of the pcie slots might have something to do with it.
In the mobo, the slots go from top to bottom: x1 - x16 - M.2 - x1 - x16 - x1 - x8
So I bought an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter to add a 7th GPU, because whatever and for some reason I thought "why not try it on Windows?". So I set it up as following: x1 / x16 / M.2 / x1 / x16 / x8 and turned it on....
And that motherf.....g Windows just booted right up, loaded the OC config with GPU Tweak II and started mining like a devil at 2830-2850 Sol/s. Freaking beautiful.
So, 6 GPUs on X370 ON Windows 10 is absolutely doable.
I hope this helps others.

I can submit pics if needed

Later.

Edited: cleaning text, spelling, typos and stuff...
R0mi

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:53:34 AM

Any word on the x370?

Thanks.

ROmi,

Which x370 motherboard do you have exactly and what BIOS version did you get it to finally work with?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have the MSI X370 GAMING PRO AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.

Bios version:  E7A33AMS.430 (file name: 7A33v43)

Windows 10 *** build 1511 ***  Build version matters.  1511 is rock steady, so make sure to block Windows updates.  I am not using the M.2 > PCIe adapter but that is an interesting idea.

I actually use the M.2 slot for an Intel SSD to boot Windows, but I would recommend just going with a cheap small SSD driver and trying the M.2 > PCIe trick discussed above.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
R0mi

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 02:55:42 AM

Any word on the x370?

Thanks.

ROmi,

Thanks!

Sorry, to be clear: it IS running 6 GPUs and works very well.  Not 4, not 5, but 6. 

baydose

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 06:03:57 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2017, 06:22:20 PM by baydose

Any word on the x370?

Thanks.

MSI X370 will do 6 Nvidia GPUs, but it is difficult depending on your version of Windows 10 (build version).  My OEM Win10 disks were build 1507 (I think).  Lots of errors, restarts, was driving me nuts.  And that is after I installed the AMD newest chipset drivers.  What's more frustrating, is that Windows Update just crashes and fails over and over with this build version - just doesn't work with Ryzen.

Download Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool," download to ISO and make a USB boot stick (search for "Rufus bootable .ISO"), do not use the Microsoft product, just download the .iso image and use Rufus to make your Windows boot USB device.  This will take a long while to download and run through updates.  Then reinstall Windows10 using the USB stick/key only this time it will be build 1511.  Start the build with one Nvidia card in the main slot.  When you get to build 1511 (and before you install lots of software), make sure the one card is recognized and that you can mine.  You need to then launch DDU and remove all drivers and shut down, not restart.  When shut down, plug in all your other cards.  Reboot.  If Windows doesn't install the drivers, do so manually under Device Driver.

Beware the Microsoft Update Assistant (Blue icon) that comes with build 1511.  Takes forever and it *may* update you to the 16xx build, and if you run it again, it *may* update you to 170x build.  But you'll probably tear your hair out first.

Go to "PC Settings" > System > About: to see what build you have.  If you have build 1507 or lower, that might explain all your problems.  Update to at least 1511.

Disable Hi-Def audio in Bios.  Disable Serial/Parallel I/O.

ROmi,

Thanks!

Sorry, to be clear: it IS running 6 GPUs and works very well.  Not 4, not 5, but 6.  

Romi,
That’s awesome information, thank you sir! I also have the MSI X370 Gaming Pro. I tried with BIOS E7A33AMS.430 and the new E7A33AMS.440. The new BIOS has the option for cryptominig however, it doesn’t seem to affect anything except it no longer displays POST and you can’t seem to get back into the BIOS without clearing CMOS.

Anyway, can you please explain how you are installing the drivers exactly. I have followed your instructions and I can get Windows to recognize the 6th finally after running DDU. I then tried to install via the nvidia package (v385.28) in normal (not safe) mode.  It seemed to install but when I rebooted windows puked and entered a reboot loop and tried to repair itself. Any ideas?

BTW, the slot that sends windows into the repair boot loop is the very bottom PCIe 4x slot.

Thanks!
nixx

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 07:15:35 PM

After spending far too much of my life on this I found this thread.  So I decided to post my story.

I have an asrock ab350 gaming k4. I have a mixed rig. I had 4 1060s and 2 580s to put me under my 1000w psu.

I originally bought two of these rigs.  My first had no problem with 5 gpu and is still running 5.

The second rig I fought with.  And fought.  And fought.  It was 3 months ago so I don't recall the details but I believe  I was able to get 6 cards running by installing drivers one by one and mucking with slots. After it was running it was totally stable and never did the black screen booting windows ->recovery. . 

Last week a fan died in the second rig and I swapped a 1060 with another 1060.  Nothing else changed and now the machine will not get to windows with more than 4 cards. I had forgotten about the initial pain of setup and now I'm pretty pissed. 

However, I did have  a m2 to pcie card laying around. So props to the previous post about trying that. I originally stuck it in m2_2 -and windows didn't see the card.  So I tried m2_1 and moved one gpu out of pcie 4. Now I have 5 cards running.

Later, I might try to get the 6th working.  I'm thinking if I boot to safe mode and install the drivers for 6th I might be able to get it going. 
nixx

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 07:39:14 PM

Being excited about 5 cards working, I tried connecting the 6th and going to safe mode to install drivers.

All 6 cards are shown in safe mode with no cards needing drivers.  Yet booting windows normally fails. 

Not even sure what to try now.
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:28:31 PM

Being excited about 5 cards working, I tried connecting the 6th and going to safe mode to install drivers.

All 6 cards are shown in safe mode with no cards needing drivers.  Yet booting windows normally fails. 

Linux!
Sorry I couldn't resist :-)

nixx

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 10:22:56 PM

Linux!
Sorry I couldn't resist :-)

I tried simple mining os to see if it would work and couldn't get it going.  Plus it doesn't work with mixed rigs
R0mi

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 04:02:03 AM

Romi,
That’s awesome information, thank you sir! I also have the MSI X370 Gaming Pro. I tried with BIOS E7A33AMS.430 and the new E7A33AMS.440. The new BIOS has the option for cryptominig however, it doesn’t seem to affect anything except it no longer displays POST and you can’t seem to get back into the BIOS without clearing CMOS.

Anyway, can you please explain how you are installing the drivers exactly. I have followed your instructions and I can get Windows to recognize the 6th finally after running DDU. I then tried to install via the nvidia package (v385.28) in normal (not safe) mode.  It seemed to install but when I rebooted windows puked and entered a reboot loop and tried to repair itself. Any ideas?

BTW, the slot that sends windows into the repair boot loop is the very bottom PCIe 4x slot.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Sure, here is how I do it:  I launch the Nvidia installer and let it go through the part where it checks my system, then I hit the "agree" to all the licensing restrictions.  THEN I QUIT OUT OF THE INSTALLER.

At this point, there is an "Nvidia" folder created on my C: drive.  You may want to rename it to something like "XNvidia."

I then go into windows Device Manager (after running DDU to wipe out all prior drivers) and manually update the driver for one of the generic Microsoft Display Adapters.  After I update one card, after a few minutes, Windows tends to update the rest and I am good to go.

Pictures on what I mean by "manually' update the driver in Device Manager:

http://imgur.com/a/KHFoD

1. Browse to the "Nvidia" folder on your C:/drive.

2. Go to the version/international/driver/display.driver/  

3. then click on the file "nvaci" and hit "Okay"

But make sure you are using Windows 10 build 1511.  If you are on build 1703, this probably won't work.  I have no idea why, I'm just telling you what worked for me.

Good luck.

R0mi

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 04:05:22 AM

What build version of Windows 10?  1607?  1703?

Go to PC Settings:System:About  to find this information.

6 works with build 1511.

nixx

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 01:36:09 AM

All 6 cards are shown in safe mode with no cards needing drivers.  Yet booting windows normally fails.  

What build version of Windows 10?  1607?  1703?

Go to PC Settings:System:About  to find this information.

6 works with build 1511.

Not sure what was on before I reinstalled, currently it's on 1703.

Is 1511 easily obtained on Microsoft site?  Or do I have to search the underground for it?

Edit - the rig I have 5 gpu working is 1703.  The machine I had 6, but now only 5 is 1711
MingMining

Activity: 202
Merit: 10

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 02:59:37 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2017, 05:14:24 AM by MingMining

After spending far too much of my life on this I found this thread.  So I decided to post my story.

I have an asrock ab350 gaming k4. I have a mixed rig. I had 4 1060s and 2 580s to put me under my 1000w psu.

I originally bought two of these rigs.  My first had no problem with 5 gpu and is still running 5.

The second rig I fought with.  And fought.  And fought.  It was 3 months ago so I don't recall the details but I believe  I was able to get 6 cards running by installing drivers one by one and mucking with slots. After it was running it was totally stable and never did the black screen booting windows ->recovery. .  

Last week a fan died in the second rig and I swapped a 1060 with another 1060.  Nothing else changed and now the machine will not get to windows with more than 4 cards. I had forgotten about the initial pain of setup and now I'm pretty pissed.  

However, I did have  a m2 to pcie card laying around. So props to the previous post about trying that. I originally stuck it in m2_2 -and windows didn't see the card.  So I tried m2_1 and moved one gpu out of pcie 4. Now I have 5 cards running.

Later, I might try to get the 6th working.  I'm thinking if I boot to safe mode and install the drivers for 6th I might be able to get it going.  

This is exactly what happened to me! Now i am going to try that m.2 trick too. Will keep you guys updated.

Update: Finally made it work. Not by using m.2. Just switch the pci-e slot and finally find one combination works. What a day...

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: