Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:10:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Probable Dead Bitcoins  (Read 3648 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 07:12:30 PM

I've been studying the blockchain for a bit and I'm thinking about developing a metric to label bitcoins that are likely dead (ie the private key is no longer accessible). Do you guys have any advice for possible starting points?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:41:50 PM

How can you know whether a coin is lost or kept for the long term?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
z12

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 07:51:48 PM

Well. If not used for a long time, It's dead. The only difference is it can be revived. However it does not have any influence in the market until it starts moving.
So... yeah
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 07:52:59 PM

That's why it has to be a probabilistic measure based upon historical transaction rates combined with the time in storage. It is impossible to assert a deterministic difference between a bitcoin in cold storage and a bitcoin that is dead.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 07:54:07 PM

And yes there is an influence on the market once a coin has become dead, then supply is reduced. For a single transaction this isn't an issue, but we need to measure the rate at which this happens.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:00:59 PM

A wallet can change hands without moving, private keys are being traded, leave em alone!
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:03:48 PM

We need to understand the impact coins that are inaccessible to the network will have on deflation

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:14:53 PM

We need to understand the impact coins that are inaccessible to the network will have on deflation

Why? I certainly have no need to know.

If you're interested, by all means, carry on with trying to find a suitable metric (although I wish you luck on that...) but just know that any proposal that has someone try to "resurrect" (i.e., steal) my stored coins, or anyone else's, will probably end poorly.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:16:46 PM

if you are trying to find "impossible" addresses, you could look for patterns and stuff that looks like words(ie, non-random).

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:25:51 PM

Why? I certainly have no need to know.

If you're interested, by all means, carry on with trying to find a suitable metric (although I wish you luck on that...) but just know that any proposal that has someone try to "resurrect" (i.e., steal) my stored coins, or anyone else's, will probably end poorly.

Because I'm a mathematician and I enjoy economics. If the Bitcoin is to be studied academically and effect change in global monetary policy, then we need to understand fundamental things such as the rate of coin loss and better metrics for transaction volume. This is why bitcoin days destroyed was developed and why I'm designing a death metric for coins.

A recycling scheme would require a hard fork. We both know that isn't going to happen. Especially considering cold storage is popular.

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:27:31 PM

if you are trying to find "impossible" addresses, you could look for patterns and stuff that looks like words(ie, non-random).

Bitcoin addresses do have a verification scheme built in that removes nearly all impossible patterns (1 in 4 billion change of failure). However, I am looking for addresses that were once legitimate and have received money, but the private key has been lost

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 08:32:52 PM

Bitcoin addresses do have a verification scheme built in that removes nearly all impossible patterns (1 in 4 billion change of failure). However, I am looking for addresses that were once legitimate and have received money, but the private key has been lost
yes but if you remove the checksum, you could still put in random text. but the bitcoin would not be spendable afterwards.

in the other case, i would look at the address that are likely to be in the same wallet and see if they are active, other than that... there are only the option of seeing for how long the address have not been used.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 08:46:04 PM

The question is can we build a probability distribution that asserts within a confidence interval the chance a coin is dead. It should approach 100% after some set of iterations

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 09:04:51 PM

Also cold storage coins would also suffer the same fate. It's not suppose to be a perfect metric. It is giving an effective bound on deflation from money taken out of normal circulation

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:04:28 AM

Also cold storage coins would also suffer the same fate. It's not suppose to be a perfect metric. It is giving an effective bound on deflation from money taken out of normal circulation

Nice round numbers likely aren't lost, so you probably want to have two different rules.  For example, a 7.23512343 coin that hasn't moved in years might be a lost coin, whereas a 250 BTC coin that hasn't moved over that same period of time is much more likely to be the address for a private key printed and stored in someone's fireproof safe.   Also, the value at the time it was sent will matter as well.  I would be more likely to understand that someone would have abandoned a wallet with 4.0 BTC in it in late 2011 due to having forgotten the exact encryption passphrase used, whereas today with a 4.0 BTC wallet it would be worth it to try a cracking utility to try and regain access to the wallet.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

scouzi

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:02:50 PM

A wallet can change hands without moving, private keys are being traded, leave em alone!

Who would accept a private key from someone knowing that the original ownwer could have kept a copy. I understand the concept between family members etc but besides that I don't see any advantages.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:21:06 PM

Who would accept a private key from someone knowing that the original ownwer could have kept a copy. I understand the concept between family members etc but besides that I don't see any advantages.
Take a look at Casascius coins and bars.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:40:02 PM

In reality you always have to trust the party you buy a Bitcoin from if you want anonymity. If the guy you buy them from earned them on SR, they will come kicking your door in too, when they are looking into what the seller spend his coins on!

An untouched wallet or cascasious, where only mined coins are put in, is totally disassociated from any identity. In reality, if you spend it, it is no longer anonymous as if the guy you pay it to has his wallet linked to a bank account, someone can ask him where he got it from.

Thats the price of mainstream!
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 04:04:36 PM

In reality you always have to trust the party you buy a Bitcoin from if you want anonymity. If the guy you buy them from earned them on SR, they will come kicking your door in too, when they are looking into what the seller spend his coins on!

An untouched wallet or cascasious, where only mined coins are put in, is totally disassociated from any identity. In reality, if you spend it, it is no longer anonymous as if the guy you pay it to has his wallet linked to a bank account, someone can ask him where he got it from.

Thats the price of mainstream!

If we did develop an effective metric, then it is likely we can include a voluntary cold storage database. I also like the idea of noting certain integer amounts like 10 or 250 are likely large term savings. I think we could create a normalized scale between 0 and 1 and assign the higher values preference in a probabilistic measure in relation to time. Thus if a coin comes from a known cold store address, then its chance of being labeled as dead is very low regardless of time. If it is some non-integer real value that has been transacted several times and suddenly stopped moving for a long duration, then the probability of being dead increases considerably.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 04:30:48 PM

Then we also need to know the amount of fiat cash that is lost or accidentally destroyed each year, as well as the amount of gold that sinks to the bottom of the ocean and which could possibly be recovered.

Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: